My second attempt at a competitive team.

Chevaleresse

First thread is here.

227.gif373.gif376.gif359.gif135.gif242.gif

227.gif@ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Spikes

- Roost

- Toxic

- Brave Bird

Same wallmory as before. I'm not sure if I should drop something (Roost?) for stealth rock, but the goal here is pretty clear. Set up a couple layers of Spikes, Roost off any damage taken if you can, and Toxic things to force an eventual switch. Brave Bird is for a small amount of coverage and to avoid being Taunt bait.

373.gif@ Choice Scarf

Trait: Moxie

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)

- Fire Blast

- Earthquake

- Outrage

- Hydro Pump

Scarfmence, as recommended. Went for sheer power with most of its moves, along with using some advice from the previous turn.

376.gif@ Choice Scarf

Trait: Clear Body

Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)

- Earthquake

- Meteor Mash

- Brick Break

- Zen Headbutt

Metagross with a moveset that utilizes its amazing Attack stat, with a Choice Scarf and EVs to suit. A few people said that scarfing Metagross would throw people off, so I kept it on my team. I'm not sure if I should use an attack-boosting or speed-boosting nature, though. The moveset is mostly for again, power and coverage.

359.gif@ 359ite

Trait: Super Luck

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Detect

- Swords Dance

- Sucker Punch

- Night Slash

On the team because I want it there. Absolite was strongly recommended in the previous thread, but the moveset seemed pretty good. If the opportunity arises, Swords Dance can set up some nasty Night Slashes, and Sucker Punch can hurt or take out the opponents that outspeed it. However, I'm not sure about the EV spread on this one. Speed might not be necessary due to the reliance on priority and the fact that most sweepers will outspeed it anyway.I swapped Pressure for Super Luck, as Absol is too fragile to do a lot of stalling.

135.gif@ Life Orb

Trait: Volt Absorb

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

Naughty Nature (+SpA, -Def)

- Volt Switch

- Signal Beam

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [ice]

Pretty much straight off of Smogon, honestly. Moveset for special sweeping and swapping out if I can properly anticipate a switch.

242.gif@ Leftovers

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Toxic

- Heal Bell

- Wish

- Seismic Toss

Another one straight off of Smogon. It was recommended to have something else to slow down enemy sweepers, so I picked Blissey. I'm not sure about the EVs, though; should I be focusing on Blissey's good Special Defense, or bolstering the weaker Defense?

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Spikes

- Roost

- Toxic

- Brave Bird

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Moxie

Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)

- Fire Blast

- Earthquake

- Outrage

- Hydro Pump

Metagross @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Clear Body

- Earthquake

- Meteor Mash

- Brick Break

- Zen Headbutt

Absol (M) @ Absolite

Trait: Pressure

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Detect

- Swords Dance

- Sucker Punch

- Night Slash

Jolteon (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Volt Absorb

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

- Volt Switch

- Signal Beam

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [ice]

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Toxic

- Heal Bell

- Wish

- Seismic Toss

Threats:65.pngAlakazam-257.pngBlaziken-286.pngBreloom-609.pngChandelure-113.pngChansey-91.pngCloyster-534.pngConkeldurr-132.pngDitto-149.pngDragonite-196.pngEspeon-598.pngFerrothorn-445.pngGarchomp-649.pngGenesect-94.pngGengar-472.pngGliscor-130.pngGyarados-612.pngHaxorus-485.pngHeatran-635.pngHydreigon-593.pngJellicent-385.pngJirachi-135.pngJolteon-381.pngLatios-448.pngLucario-68.pngMachamp-376.pngMetagross-620.pngMienshao-233.pngPorygon2-579.pngReuniclus-479-4.pngRotom-W-373.pngSalamence-212.pngScizor-560.pngScrafty-597.pngSerperior-227.pngSkarmory-80.pngSlowbro-73.pngTentacruel-639.pngTerrakion-642.pngThundurus-468.pngTogekiss-248.pngTyranitar-637.pngVolcarona-547.pngWhimsicott-145.pngZapdos-251.pngCelebi-555.pngDarmanitan-214.pngHeracross-630.pngMandibuzz-195.pngWuagsire-302.pngSableye-561.pngSigilyph-235.pngSmeargle-121.pngStarmie-245.pngSuicune-454.pngToxicroak-640.pngVirizion-450.png530.pngHippowdon+Excadrill-248.png645.pngTyranitar+Landorus-38.png3.pngNinetales+Venusaur-460.png365.pngAbomasnow+Walrein-186.png230.pngPolitoed+Kingdra-186.png272.pngPolitoed+Ludicolo-186.png134.pngPolitoed+Vaporeon-113.png227.pngChansey+Skarmory-212.png479-4.pngScizor+Rotom-W-593.png598.pngFerrothorn+Jellicent-
Edited by KingMurdoc

Never used their evo line before, but isnt Eviolite Chansey better than Blissey?

He is running Wish. Blissey is better at passing Wishes to companions in order to keep them alive, because she has more HP.

This being said, I would recommend removing Metagross: since Steel is not resistant to Dark and Ghost anymore, now Metagross has an insane amount of weaknesses, and this is a big problem considering that it is a scarfer. A lot of Pokemon can switch into the correctly predicted move, take a hit and kill back. Since you have Jolteon with Volt Switch, I'd recommend something with U-turn: Greninja comes to mind as it is one of the best Spikers of this generation, you could put Stealth Rock on Skarmory over Spikes (and while you are at it, Whirlwind over Toxic, phazing is needed to get rid of those set-up sweepers) and give Spikes to Greninja... You'd have yourself a great momentum core with Jolteon and Greninja, and you'd also be able to set up a lot more hazards.

The set for Greninja would be:

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
Finally, since you are running Wish on Blissey as a recovery move, you might want to run Protect over Toxic: not only Protect is great to scout opponent's moves (specially in case you face a choiced Pokemon), it also allows Blissey to easily restore her own health with Wish, negating the charging turn.
Oh and... That set for Absol is bad. It can maybe work with your hacked Speed Boost Absol (I read that post :P) but Mega Absol needs offensive coverage. Detect is absolutely not needed, remove it and toss in either Psycho Cut or Play Rough. And while Night Slash and Sucker Punch have their logic (you's use Slash against defensive Pokemon who are not going to attack you, playing around Sucker Punch) Megahorn is generally a better coverage option over Night Slash.
This is all. I hope this post proved helpful ;)

I would recommend you to give all ev's of blissey to the sp.def rather then to the normal def. Because its so bad, even with all ev's it probably can't take a pysical hit at all. So better boost its good sp.Def

Edited by Calvius

Whirlwind for skarmory. No questions asked. You need rocks up on something as well maybe skarm but nothing better then whirlwinding on someone trying to switch in Talonflame or Volcarona expecting you to put down spikes just to take 50% damage on entry then get phased out immediately.
Also to help salamence clean up try megaGengar over maybe absol? traps fairies, dragons and steels and destroys them with the appropriate moves.

He already said Absol is there because he likes it.

As for Skarm, I'd use Whirlwind/Rocks/Spikes/Roost. You're essentially toast against any Defoggers [or spinners] once Skarm dies, but other than that it would be a pretty solid team.

Edited by Secundum

if skarm uses to lead, i would recomend an ofensive spread with SR,spikes, taunt and Brave Bird with Custap. Defog don't work if you use Taunt, and Rapid spin won't work either if you kill yourself by brave bird recoil before it strikes ;)

Edited by SJMistery

I know this might have been a freak event, but. . . Scarfgross.

Battle between Jaroldodahoe and Sarcus started!

Tier: 6G OverUsed
Mode: Singles
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Variation: +38, -52

Jaroldodahoe sent out Tyrantrum!
Sarcus sent out Skarmory!

Start of turn 1
The foe's Tyrantrum used Dragon Claw!
It's not very effective...
A critical hit!
Skarmory lost 63 HP! (18% of its health)

Skarmory used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Jaroldodahoe's team!

Skarmory restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 2
The foe's Tyrantrum used Crunch!
Skarmory lost 49 HP! (14% of its health)

Skarmory used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Jaroldodahoe's team!

Start of turn 3
Jaroldodahoe called Tyrantrum back!
Jaroldodahoe sent out Blaziken!
The foe's Blaziken is hurt by spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Blaziken!

Skarmory used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Jaroldodahoe's team!

Start of turn 4
The foe's Blaziken used Blast Burn!
It's super effective!
Skarmory lost 282 HP! (84% of its health)
Skarmory fainted!

Sarcus: ow
Sarcus sent out Salamence!

Start of turn 5
Salamence used Hydro Pump!
The attack of Salamence missed!

The foe's Blaziken must recharge!

Start of turn 6
The attack of Salamence missed!

The foe's Blaziken used Thunder Punch!
Salamence lost 93 HP! (28% of its health)

Start of turn 7
Jaroldodahoe called Blaziken back!
Jaroldodahoe sent out Gardevoir!
The foe's Gardevoir is hurt by spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gardevoir!

The foe's Gardevoir lost 25% of its health!

The foe's Gardevoir restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 8
Sarcus called Salamence back!
Sarcus sent out Absol!

The foe's Gardevoir used Moonblast!
It's super effective!
Absol lost 272 HP! (100% of its health)
Absol fainted!

The foe's Gardevoir restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Sarcus: herp
Sarcus sent out Jolteon!

Start of turn 9
Jaroldodahoe called Gardevoir back!
Jaroldodahoe sent out Gastrodon!
The foe's Gastrodon is hurt by spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gastrodon!

Jolteon used Signal Beam!
The foe's Gastrodon lost 35% of its health!
Jolteon is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Gastrodon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 10
Jolteon used Hidden Power!
The foe's Gastrodon lost 28% of its health!
Jolteon is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Gastrodon used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Jolteon lost 216 HP! (80% of its health)
Jolteon fainted!

Sarcus sent out Blissey!

Start of turn 11
Blissey used Toxic!
The foe's Gastrodon was badly poisoned!

Blissey lost 390 HP! (54% of its health)

Blissey restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Gastrodon was hurt by poison!

Start of turn 12
Blissey used Wish!

Blissey lost 368 HP! (51% of its health)
Blissey fainted!

The foe's Gastrodon was hurt by poison!
Sarcus sent out Salamence!

Start of turn 13
Salamence used Outrage!
The foe's Gastrodon lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Gastrodon fainted!
Salamence's Attack rose!

Blissey's wish came true!
Jaroldodahoe sent out Lucario!
The foe's Lucario is hurt by spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Lucario!

Start of turn 14
Salamence used Outrage!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Lucario lost 61% of its health!
Salamence calmed down!
Salamence became confused!

The foe's Lucario used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 332 HP! (100% of its health)
Salamence fainted!

Sarcus sent out Metagross!

Disconnected from Server!Sarcus logged back in and is ready to resume the battle!

Start of turn 15
Metagross used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
The foe's Lucario lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Lucario fainted!

Jaroldodahoe sent out Blaziken!
The foe's Blaziken is hurt by spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Blaziken!

Start of turn 16
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
The foe's Blaziken lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Blaziken fainted!

Jaroldodahoe sent out Gardevoir!
The foe's Gardevoir is hurt by spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gardevoir!

Start of turn 17
The foe's Gardevoir lost 29% of its health!
The foe's Gardevoir fainted!

Jaroldodahoe sent out Aegislash!
The foe's Aegislash is hurt by spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Aegislash!

Start of turn 18
The foe's Aegislash used Shadow Sneak!
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 152 HP! (50% of its health)

It's super effective!
The foe's Aegislash lost 77% of its health!
The foe's Aegislash fainted!

Jaroldodahoe sent out Tyrantrum!
The foe's Tyrantrum is hurt by spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tyrantrum!

Start of turn 19
It's super effective!
The foe's Tyrantrum lost 67% of its health!

The foe's Tyrantrum used Crunch!
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 138 HP! (45% of its health)

The foe's Tyrantrum restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 20
It's super effective!
The foe's Tyrantrum lost 9% of its health!
The foe's Tyrantrum fainted!

Sarcus won the battle!
Jaroldodahoe: gg
Sarcus: You too
Sarcus: I knew the scarfgross would work

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.

TL;DR: Keeping Metagross.

Edited by KingMurdoc

Well, that battle was horridly full of misplays on both sides, you were fighting a guy who uses freaking Blast Burn on Blaziken, and I believe that says a lot... Any half-decent player with a correct set on Blaziken and a quarter of a brain would have used protect with Blaziken on your EQ attempt, only to Mega Evolve, outspeed and score the kill with Flare Blitz on the following turn, thanks to the dreaded Speed Boost (that the guy doesn't even seem to be using by the way).

Tl;dr: you were fighting a total noob with less than zero understanding of the game, that doesn't really prove anything. It's like claiming that Real Madrid should buy Nani and play him over Cristiano Ronaldo because Nani could score 3 goals against a local amateur team.

Edited by Tomas Elliot

It's like claiming that Real Madrid should buy Nani and play him over Cristiano Ronaldo because Nani could score 3 goals against a local amateur team.

The story of Gareth Bale. The scoring against amateur teams bit, anyway.

Well, that battle was horridly full of misplays on both sides, you were fighting a guy who uses freaking Blast Burn on Blaziken, and I believe that says a lot... Any half-decent player with a correct set on Blaziken and a quarter of a brain would have used protect with Blaziken on your EQ attempt, only to Mega Evolve, outspeed and score the kill with Flare Blitz on the following turn, thanks to the dreaded Speed Boost (that the guy doesn't even seem to be using by the way).

Tl;dr: you were fighting a total noob with less than zero understanding of the game, that doesn't really prove anything. It's like claiming that Real Madrid should buy Nani and play him over Cristiano Ronaldo because Nani could score 3 goals against a local amateur team.

Well, I feel like a moron now.

Well, a big mistake I saw was keeping Blissey in vs. Gastrodon. While Gastrodon's attack stat may not be terribly good, Blissey's defense is a pitiful base 10. You don't want to keep it out against any sort of physical attacker. (This is mostly my common sense working here, since I don't use Blissey myself...) The team itself looks fairly good, but you weren't really playing against a proper opponent for a true test. Anyway, keep testing to work out the kinks and improve your playing in general.

Also, a fun set I like to use on Absol is using a Scope Lense. Super Luck + Scope Lense + Night Slash/Psycho Cut = 100% Crit Chance in Gen 6

(I don't have X or Y yet so I can't test this, but I believe 3+ stages is now 100%)

Well, I feel like a moron now.

You are not. It is just that

you weren't really playing against a proper opponent for a true test

and thus, claiming that Metagross is godly just because it won you that game, makes no sense. Aside for some minor problems with the individual sets (that could be solved simply by reading the posts in this topic, including my first one) your team is a good one, but honestly Metagross just doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong, it used to be a great Pokemon, it still is to a certain extent, but sadly this generation two things happened, and they both hit Metagross hard:

1) The Fire type as a whole got a huge push, with Mega Charizard Y gaining Drought and thus enabling dual sun plays (I tested such a team with surprisingly good results), Blaziken becoming even more broken than it already was (and sadly Reborn allows it in OU) and Talonflame not giving a damn about Stealth Rocks and Flare Blitz+Life Orb recoil thanks to priority Roost.

2) Steel doesn't resist Ghost and Dark anymore, which means that Mega Mawhile/Kangaskan and everybody's favorite Aegislash can use their powerful priority moves (Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak respectively) to score guaranteed kills on poor Metagross.

Talonflame in particular is a problem, because your only physical wall is weak to fire: basically, if you kill something with Metagross using EQ and your opponent realizes you are scarfed, all they need to do is to send out Talonflame, use Swords Dance on your obligatory switch, and then just sit there and whipe out your entire team, Jolteon being too frail to take a Brave Bird to the face after hazards.

So yeah, in order to improve you need to do 3 things:

1) Solve the minor issues with some movesets (Absol, Jolteon, Blissey) following the tips given in this topic.

2) Replace Metagross with either a spiker to pair with your Stealth Rock-using Skarmory (I suggested Greninja because I find it to be the best one this gen, but there are also other ones) or with an all-out Talonflame counter (for example Tyranitar, which can also use Stealth Rock, thus leaving Spikes to Skarmory).

3) Get better at playing, as in coming up with correct strategies and prediction: this however is something that will come with experience! Just remember: in order to make experience you need to measure yourself with the top dogs in town, not with random noobs unable to put up a proper fight... Not all the so called "pros" are of the "lol you noob I destroyed you" kind, there are also those who will be happy to give you tips to improve your competitive mentality! I myself could help you from time to time if we where to meet on the server, even if I rarely come there as of late because I don't want to battle on Reborn untill Blaziken gets the ban it so desperately needs... But well, if you promise to be a good Padawan and not to give in to the Dark Side of competitive battling (that is, using broken stuff like the aforementioned Blaziken) I will help you when I drop by :)

EDIT: actually do not use Tyranitar as a Talonflame counter, you are already weak enough to Fighting and Fairy without making things worse... Use something that can take on Talonflame without giving Azumarill a free switch in, for example physically defensive Rotom-W...

Edited by Tomas Elliot

Try scarf garchomp instead of salamence,

Standard 252atk/252speed jolly

Rough Skin

Dual chop (o/ poison jab now because of fairies)

Earthquake

Stone Edge

Outrage/Dragon claw

Much easier to switch in and is faster

If you're adamant on keeping sala I'd say Dragon dance, dragon claw earthquake firefang jolly 252spe/252atk

Experience: laddered to 1400 on PO 6th gen ou

better run both dual chop and iron head, quitting outrage and dragon claw

giving a fairy type 2 free turns (the turn the rampage ends by the immunity, the turn you switch) after you kill something with it seems scary (imagine face a +4 mega mawille), and dual chop has exact the same base power as dragon claw (error, sorry), and earthquake out damages dragon claw, being the safe move of choice anyway, while dual chop breaks through substitutes and sashes (hi gliscor). iron head is better than poison jab as it lands a crippling blow to steel types without having to rely on the shaky accuracy of stone edge. you should also consider switching the same stone edge for fire blast/fang to roast skarmory and ferrothorn on the switch

Edited by SJMistery

no-shit-sherlock.jpg

Moves do tend to have the same base power as themselves...

Srsly though, I think he meant Dragon Claw...Which should ALWAYS be taken over Dual Chop, as Chop only has 90acc.

In my personal opinion i'd save up on Mega Absol as of now.

See Absol can learn this move set in the future when Poke Bank is released and can cause some real mayhem.

Trait: Justified

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Satk)

-Swords Dance / Protect

-Sucker Punch

-Superpower

-Play Rough

Regular Absol has slow speed compared to the threats in OU and you'll have swords dance anyway. What already damages in an Adamant nature is already covered by Swords Dance. Jolly is the better nature as it outspeeds and OHKO's Jolly Mega-Lucario with Superpower (Capped at 112 Base Speed). Superpower and Play Rough are amazing Coverage moves. The moveset is a Dark-Fairy-Fighting core that can cover all of the Metagame with Neutral damage. Having Sucker Punch and Night Slash on the same moveset is a bit illogical as the standard of the 6th Gen OU metagame is now much more fast paced and geared towards offensive threats. You cannot afford to be slow on the draw rendering Night Slash for users who play a more safe and tame play style. Sadly as of now; Superpower and Play Rough cannot be in the same moveset due to Superpower being learned only from the 5th Gen Tutors in B2/W2. Play Rough is an exclusive from the Kalos region.

That doesn't mean you can't make a substitute. Just use a Jolly Mega-Lucario with an identical set except swap out Play Rough and Sucker Punch with Bullet Punch and a Coverage move of your choice. If you are worried about rocks set your Skarmory up with Defog as it's unblockable.

Edited by Cowtao

My favorite skarmory of all time:

252 speed, 252 HP

Quick claw

Spikes

Stealth rock

Toxic spikes

Whirlwind

are you dumb? skarmory lacks toxic spikes, i am right if i think you mean taunt? and the set of suicide lead must have custap berry, mental herb or even rocky helmet instead of quick claw, who is a sucky item reliant on luck, the thing skarmory most hates to rely. brave bird instead of whirlwind is also superior as defog and rapid spin doesn't hit his target (=if you die by brave bird recoil), of if the wielder faints immediately by rocky helmet's recoil damage.

In my personal opinion i'd save up on Mega Absol as of now.

See Absol can learn this move set in the future when Poke Bank is released and can cause some real mayhem.

Trait: Justified

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Satk)

-Swords Dance / Protect

-Sucker Punch

-Superpower

-Play Rough

Regular Absol has slow speed compared to the threats in OU and you'll have swords dance anyway. What already damages in an Adamant nature is already covered by Swords Dance. Jolly is the better nature as it outspeeds and OHKO's Jolly Mega-Lucario with Superpower (Capped at 112 Base Speed). Superpower and Play Rough are amazing Coverage moves. The moveset is a Dark-Fairy-Fighting core that can cover all of the Metagame with Neutral damage. Having Sucker Punch and Night Slash on the same moveset is a bit illogical as the standard of the 6th Gen OU metagame is now much more fast paced and geared towards offensive threats. You cannot afford to be slow on the draw rendering Night Slash for users who play a more safe and tame play style. Sadly as of now; Superpower and Play Rough cannot be in the same moveset due to Superpower being learned only from the 5th Gen Tutors in B2/W2. Play Rough is an exclusive from the Kalos region.

That doesn't mean you can't make a substitute. Just use a Jolly Mega-Lucario with an identical set except swap out Play Rough and Sucker Punch with Bullet Punch and a Coverage move of your choice. If you are worried about rocks set your Skarmory up with Defog as it's unblockable.

running both dark moves is not as illogical as you think, as otherwise substitute mega-gengar walls you to no end

you can run both night slash and sucker punch to beat some defensive psychic an ghost types faster, such as jellicent and reuniclus, as well as to break through the aftermentioned substitute mega-gengar, and even the rare encore alakazam and calm mind chandelure.

speaking of substitutes, that move is also a decent option to erase coverage and pairs well with sucker punch.

fairy types tend to have crap defense anyway, except mega mawile, but he's neutral fo fighting

Edited by SJMistery