Canonical Team for Episode 19

LunarCosmos

Hey, guys. I am planning to start over on a new save for E19 in the future, and had a question for anybody who has played through the game (or at least partly through the game. For my next run of Pokemon Reborn, I wanted to run a sort of canonical team throughout the entirety of the game, therefore challenging myself and limiting myself to around 6 pokemon for the whole playthrough. I think it might be fun to theorycraft which pokemon would be on canonical team for the protagonist. Now, getting to the question part of this thread: Which 6 pokemon would the protagonist theoretically use if they were limited to ONLY pokemon they got from the main story of the game. Meaning pokemon ONLY collected through main events. So, that is, excluding all sidequest/ side event pokemon. If anyone who comes across this who has played any of E19 and could contribute to a list of main story only pokemon, that would be sweet! Thanks to all in advance. I have played all the way up to E18, but lets try to keep it as spoiler-free and broad as possible (not detailing specific happenings or occurrences in full or anything like that).

Edited by LunarCosmos

• Support Squad

These are a few that for E19, I consider story relevant:

Primariaia - Ame makes positive comment
Kricketune - First Shelly interaction
Tangrowth - First 3 Pulses
Arcanine / Mystery Egg - Police Officer help
Nidoqueen / Salazzle / Corey Mon - Corey's team
Medicham - Kiki
Steelix - Mega Steelix
Abra - Pulse
Magnezone - Pulse
Absol - Ame
Garchomp - Taka Quest
Mimikyu - Shade's Help
Umbreon - Luna's Help
Gardevoir - Glass Gauntlet
A. Tales - Ame
Sylveon - Final Sticker

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AyTales said:

These are a few that for E19, I consider story relevant:

Primariaia - Ame makes positive comment
Kricketune - First Shelly interaction
Tangrowth - First 3 Pulses
Arcanine / Mystery Egg - Police Officer help
Nidoqueen / Salazzle / Corey Mon - Corey's team
Medicham - Kiki
Steelix - Mega Steelix
Abra - Pulse
Magnezone - Pulse
Absol - Ame
Garchomp - Taka Quest
Mimikyu - Shade's Help
Umbreon - Luna's Help
Gardevoir - Glass Gauntlet
A. Tales - Ame
Sylveon - Final Sticker

Yeah! these are all super good choices I feel like. I agree whole heartedly with most of these. I was already set on Primarina due to Ame's comment, as well as Arcanine, Medicham, Absol, and the Garchomp/Aegislash from Taka Quest cause I feel like those are all really big events with significant impact to the story. Thanks so much for the input! I really appreciate it.

I think garchomp/agislash are really not relevant and easily missed. If you want to play them, it's for power reasons. Which is ok but I then admit it :D Also mimikyu takes like forever and I think the whole tourmaline desert is off the charts. The main character would go straight to the scrapyard. I also dislike using pulse Mons since the pulse machine really hurts and probably kills the Pokémon it uses during the fight. Getting A. Tales after a certain characters incident makes lot of sense.

I would really like an eeveelution but only one makes sense to me and thats only after glass gountlet.

Medicham, guardevoir, steelix can't be used, e19 reasons.

And what's the reasoning behind absol?

More suggestions:

The Pokémon you steal for team magma/aqua.

The Pokémon you get later in from magma/aqua. You get more than one so maybe just 2 out of these 3?

Then, one of the Pokémon you safe from the daycare scam? Technically you need to give them back but maybe one of them grows so close to you that it just likes you more? I think my team would be:

Starter

Kriketot

Growlithe

Mystery egg

Gang Pokémon (one of the 3)

One of Corey's/Ames/Luna's team

Maybe need to swap out that kriketune because of power reasons.

Edit: maybe the zekrom reshiram thing makes garchomp actually a part of the plot and I'm wrong on that end. But aegislash just seems wrong since it's Tania's main. On the other hand, I think the MC would definitely chose the way, which leads to roaming the desert alone l, without taka.

Edited by Maomaer

• Support Squad
6 hours ago, Maomaer said:

I think garchomp/agislash are really not relevant and easily missed. If you want to play them, it's for power reasons. Which is ok but I then admit it :D Also mimikyu takes like forever and I think the whole tourmaline desert is off the charts. The main character would go straight to the scrapyard. I also dislike using pulse Mons since the pulse machine really hurts and probably kills the Pokémon it uses during the fight. Getting A. Tales after a certain characters incident makes lot of sense.

I would really like an eeveelution but only one makes sense to me and thats only after glass gountlet.

Medicham, guardevoir, steelix can't be used, e19 reasons.

And what's the reasoning behind absol?

More suggestions:

The Pokémon you steal for team magma/aqua.

The Pokémon you get later in from magma/aqua. You get more than one so maybe just 2 out of these 3?

Then, one of the Pokémon you safe from the daycare scam? Technically you need to give them back but maybe one of them grows so close to you that it just likes you more? I think my team would be:

Starter

Kriketot

Growlithe

Mystery egg

Gang Pokémon (one of the 3)

One of Corey's/Ames/Luna's team

Maybe need to swap out that kriketune because of power reasons.

Edit: maybe the zekrom reshiram thing makes garchomp actually a part of the plot and I'm wrong on that end. But aegislash just seems wrong since it's Tania's main. On the other hand, I think the MC would definitely chose the way, which leads to roaming the desert alone l, without taka.

Garchomp specifically is because you can get it with Taka and he tells you to capture it instead of having him get it as a family mon.

The main character doesn't 'do' anything, and Shade absolutely helps a lot so having a mon that reflects his help would make sense. Mimikyu is his ace, no?

Yes, the PULSE hurts and kills them, which is why I can see the player picking up the same species afterwards as a tribute to them all.

Why can't Medicham, Gradevoir, or Steelix? So confused.

The Absol is Ame's that you encounter in Route 4 after her death.

5 hours ago, AyTales said:

Garchomp specifically is because you can get it with Taka and he tells you to capture it instead of having him get it as a family mon.

The main character doesn't 'do' anything, and Shade absolutely helps a lot so having a mon that reflects his help would make sense. Mimikyu is his ace, no?

Yes, the PULSE hurts and kills them, which is why I can see the player picking up the same species afterwards as a tribute to them all.

Why can't Medicham, Gradevoir, or Steelix? So confused.

The Absol is Ame's that you encounter in Route 4 after her death.

yeah i can get behind absol, never liked it and forgot why we encounter it.
mimikyu i still wouldnt take. the mc doesnt really know about shades motives for nearly the whole game and we dont really know that shade is suporting us. if u want mimikyu its for personal or power reasons, not coz the MC would canonically pick one up. 
also, wasnt it in mirage tower? thats like.. way to much effort.

getting others of the pulse species you could argue but the others make even more sense id say. you basically always get some of them. just think of the gang pokemons or randalls clefki
garchomp makes more sense now, allthough i wouldnt know why the canonical mc would denie takas whish to fight him in the WTC.
medicham, guardevoir

Spoiler

would be kind of morbid to take copies of and the ogs have new owners. steelix belongs to saphira.

but i remembered one more pretty canonical mon: clefki! and in e19 you get a sylveon thats not really an option to miss as well

Yeah, I'm not really on board with the PULSE pokemon either for the same reason as Maomaer stated above, so I ruled those out. I feel like Starter (Primarina), Arcanine, and Garchomp, and Absol are set in stone for the most part. And Maomaer also makes a good point that the Medicham, Steelix, and Gardevoir are not the original pokemon that were held by the original trainers, right? (Unless I am not remembering right) Absol on the other hand, was Ame's original Absol, so it makes sense to take that one. I guess for the last two, it would be one of the Gang pokemon since that is a pretty massive, plot-impacting event as well as Kriketune for being pretty important to the story as well since that is when you first meet Shelly? Sylveon I guess could fill that final role as well, but I feel like it's pretty late game right? So it may not be too viable to make that a choice? What do you guys think? Are there any more that are more deserving of these spots? @Maomaer @AyTales @Green Bean 501

• Support Squad
On 4/25/2022 at 8:41 PM, Maomaer said:

yeah i can get behind absol, never liked it and forgot why we encounter it.
mimikyu i still wouldnt take. the mc doesnt really know about shades motives for nearly the whole game and we dont really know that shade is suporting us. if u want mimikyu its for personal or power reasons, not coz the MC would canonically pick one up. 
also, wasnt it in mirage tower? thats like.. way to much effort.

getting others of the pulse species you could argue but the others make even more sense id say. you basically always get some of them. just think of the gang pokemons or randalls clefki
garchomp makes more sense now, allthough i wouldnt know why the canonical mc would denie takas whish to fight him in the WTC.
medicham, guardevoir

Hide contents

would be kind of morbid to take copies of and the ogs have new owners. steelix belongs to saphira.

but i remembered one more pretty canonical mon: clefki! and in e19 you get a sylveon thats not really an option to miss as well

I really don't get your reasoning on things like this. The idea is that PC is influenced to use mons from people that have helped them. Mimikyu is encountered in Mirage Tower while Taka is travelling with you through the desert. After Glass, it makes total sense for the PC to want to have a tribute to Shade on their team.

But I'm kinda done talking to you about this, considering I dislike your implication that I'm somehow just trying to power game this and have no reasoning behind my choices.

>allthough i wouldnt know why the canonical mc would denie takas whish to fight him in the WT

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. Just because you don't understand someone's motivations doesn't make their decision wrong or make no sense.

Personally, I think it something like this

Starter/Primarina - Since the comment from Ame. Could however be replaced by any starter

Arcanine - Major quest

Mystery egg - Major quest

Nidoqueen/Any of Corey's mons - Significance to the story. I usually encounter Nidoqueen first and I think it ties well with Cain's Nidoking. 

Absol - Story relevant

Gyarados - The quest spans over such a large portion of the game (Could be replaced by for example Sylveon or, most realistically, certain late-game encounter:

Spoiler

Chatot - Takas, significant to the story

In terms of side pokemon whose events have a bit more weight than most:

As has already been mentioned, absol/gyarados/gible/honedge/mystery egg/corey's mons

Event Misdreavus in Byxbysion

Seventh street pokemon (that you don't need to give back for the mega ring). That abra really helped you out in blacksteam

Type:Null has a whole little quest, it's basically your child, and multiple types would be useful for a more limited run like this, so it seems like a no-brainer

Ralts from the corrupted pokeball you find in the railnet, it defies extreme odds out of loyalty to its trainer

Eevee that you find orphaned in Mysidia Railcave

3 hours ago, C.A said:

Personally, I think it something like this

Starter/Primarina - Since the comment from Ame. Could however be replaced by any starter

Arcanine - Major quest

Mystery egg - Major quest

Nidoqueen/Any of Corey's mons - Significance to the story. I usually encounter Nidoqueen first and I think it ties well with Cain's Nidoking. 

Absol - Story relevant

Gyarados - The quest spans over such a large portion of the game (Could be replaced by for example Sylveon or, most realistically, certain late-game encounter:

Hide contents

Chatot - Takas, significant to the story

Yeah, this sounds like an awesome list! I heavily agree with Primarina, Arcanine, and Absol as they have heavy impacts on the game's story. As for the other choices, lets discuss! I felt like it might be awkward to add one of Corey's mons due to the fact that there are several other characters that the character might do the same thing for (adding a tribute mon for the character, I mean) such as Kiki, Shade, Anna, etc. so I felt it might be weird to do it for one character and not the others and decided to omit doing so in general, haha. But I definitely see the argument for doing this. As for the mystery egg and gyarados, could you remind me what the quests were for those mons again? It's been a while since i've played through e18 lol. Lastly, I like the Chatot idea! Would be an excellent add. But I feel like the player character would have to choose between that and the Garchomp, right? Since the Garchomp is also story relevant during that arc. I believe it is Reshiram route tho?

30 minutes ago, Goblinpat said:

In terms of side pokemon whose events have a bit more weight than most:

As has already been mentioned, absol/gyarados/gible/honedge/mystery egg/corey's mons

Event Misdreavus in Byxbysion

Seventh street pokemon (that you don't need to give back for the mega ring). That abra really helped you out in blacksteam

Type:Null has a whole little quest, it's basically your child, and multiple types would be useful for a more limited run like this, so it seems like a no-brainer

Ralts from the corrupted pokeball you find in the railnet, it defies extreme odds out of loyalty to its trainer

Eevee that you find orphaned in Mysidia Railcave

I completely agree with type:null addition! Silvally could be nice symbolism to the player character's ability to adapt in different situations, yeah? It seems like a lot of people have been mentioning, one of Corey's mons. Maybe I am forgetting just how significant Corey's impact to the story is as my memory of the game is a bit foggy since it has been a while since i've played, haha. Gonna definitely have to reconsider that option. Thanks for contributing to the post! It is appreciated :] Oh and also I love the honedge pick! I mentioned that earlier but idk if many agreed lol so it is nice to see that

I don't feel like Corey's mons are that significant`to the player, like at all. It would be far more significant to Heather than the player.

Ralts however is a good addition. We've been carrying around the corrupted pokeball for a massive part of the game.

Eevee, too. I know it's a bit out of the ways getting it, but I think finding an orphaned Pokemon fits as the character is helpful, empathetic and overall good-hearted. That's been displayed over and over, so keeping Eevee seems fitting to me. Same reason to keep Ralts.

I disagree with Honedge, not sure if that represents anything significant at all.

Same with Type:Null, I'm not a fan of how we get it by essentially handing over Pokemon to mad scientists.. if we rescued it? Sure. But we're responsible for it's being.

Gyarados, too. I don't see why that's meaningful, I would think the player would want nothing to do with a scammer, to be honest. If I didn't know there'd be a big reward at the end I wouldn't have paid him any attention after the first encounter.

I don't see the Mimikyu or the PULSE argument either. You're talking about a homage but the Pokemon themselves holds no other meaning than simply and only being the same species.. if we got to save the PULSE mons and keep them? Definitely. If we got Shade's Mimikyu (or another one of Shade's mons) then absolutely. But other than that there's no special relationship between the Pokemon and the player. We don't rescue them, we just find them.

I think the Zangoose/Pachirisu event has meaning. It's being bullied and abused, we save it.. I think that matters quite a bit.

Houndour/Cavanha has significance, too, I think. The gang matters, a lot. So a representation of our chosen gang is a big deal.

A case could be made for the Stolen Pokemon quest. In order to keep it challenging maybe allow to pick 1 to keep?

Starter

Zangoose/Pachirisu

Growlithe 

Mystery Egg (although, again, out of the way, but it's significant to the players character in helping out the officer)

Houndour/Cavanha

Eevee

Ralts

Garchomp (RIP Taka, the only character I can stand to be around in Reborn.)

Absol

I think that's it. Wild Pokemon doesn't make sense to me unless you find them, like Emolga and Pichu etc but even they don't hold a lot of deep meaning..

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember all the pokemon, but I feel like the ones you release from the 7th street black market should be a choice too. I know it's TECHNICALLY a sidequest, but it has tie ins to DJ Arclight and also seems pretty on brand with you being the "good guy" (releasing the smuggled pokemon) 

On 4/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, Siv said:

I don't feel like Corey's mons are that significant`to the player, like at all. It would be far more significant to Heather than the player.

Ralts however is a good addition. We've been carrying around the corrupted pokeball for a massive part of the game.

Eevee, too. I know it's a bit out of the ways getting it, but I think finding an orphaned Pokemon fits as the character is helpful, empathetic and overall good-hearted. That's been displayed over and over, so keeping Eevee seems fitting to me. Same reason to keep Ralts.

I disagree with Honedge, not sure if that represents anything significant at all.

Same with Type:Null, I'm not a fan of how we get it by essentially handing over Pokemon to mad scientists.. if we rescued it? Sure. But we're responsible for it's being.

Gyarados, too. I don't see why that's meaningful, I would think the player would want nothing to do with a scammer, to be honest. If I didn't know there'd be a big reward at the end I wouldn't have paid him any attention after the first encounter.

I don't see the Mimikyu or the PULSE argument either. You're talking about a homage but the Pokemon themselves holds no other meaning than simply and only being the same species.. if we got to save the PULSE mons and keep them? Definitely. If we got Shade's Mimikyu (or another one of Shade's mons) then absolutely. But other than that there's no special relationship between the Pokemon and the player. We don't rescue them, we just find them.

I think the Zangoose/Pachirisu event has meaning. It's being bullied and abused, we save it.. I think that matters quite a bit.

Houndour/Cavanha has significance, too, I think. The gang matters, a lot. So a representation of our chosen gang is a big deal.

A case could be made for the Stolen Pokemon quest. In order to keep it challenging maybe allow to pick 1 to keep?

Starter

Zangoose/Pachirisu

Growlithe 

Mystery Egg (although, again, out of the way, but it's significant to the players character in helping out the officer)

Houndour/Cavanha

Eevee

Ralts

Garchomp (RIP Taka, the only character I can stand to be around in Reborn.)

Absol

I think that's it. Wild Pokemon doesn't make sense to me unless you find them, like Emolga and Pichu etc but even they don't hold a lot of deep meaning..

Ah you are the first person to say that Corey's mons are not too story-impacting, haha. That's refreshing and its nice to hear a different opinion, especially since I never really saw adding one of Corey's mons as a canonical team member in my own headcanon (that is, until others came and suggested the idea). I also have not seen Ralts suggested I dont think...but I like that! :] Eevee has been suggested several times and I agree with the choice as well. I agree with your PULSE and homage pokemon opinions as I never really saw getting "copies" of the original pokemon befitting of the main protagonist. I do however see the argument for honedge. Wasn't there an even around the Taka section (Reshiram Route I believe) where he says you should take one of the pokemon with you (either garchomp or aegislash)? I could be forgetting correct me if I'm wrong but Taka makes some mention of taking one of them with you to carry on some legacy. I also liked the idea of taking type null but I can see how you disagree :]. And yes I do feel like taking one of the Gang pokemon is a MUST. Mention that in an earlier post and I think most people agree on that lol....But yeah for the most part I agree and it seems to me most of your reasonings come from the hero player saving pokemon or giving abandoned pokemon new homes. I like the sentiment and appreciate it but I do feel like there are other reasons why the protagonist might take some of the other pokemon :] Either way, thanks for adding! And I like your list :]

8 hours ago, Whitelight said:

I can't remember all the pokemon, but I feel like the ones you release from the 7th street black market should be a choice too. I know it's TECHNICALLY a sidequest, but it has tie ins to DJ Arclight and also seems pretty on brand with you being the "good guy" (releasing the smuggled pokemon) 

Yeah its hard for me to remember as well since its been a while since I played and havent touched the E19 beta yet. And yeah! I can get behind that. Only thing is, there's so many of them, so I like to think that maybe all of them are just given new homes except for the last one to be saved which may be kept by the protagonist :]

8 hours ago, LunarCosmos said:

Ah you are the first person to say that Corey's mons are not too story-impacting, haha. That's refreshing and its nice to hear a different opinion, especially since I never really saw adding one of Corey's mons as a canonical team member in my own headcanon (that is, until others came and suggested the idea). I also have not seen Ralts suggested I dont think...but I like that! :] Eevee has been suggested several times and I agree with the choice as well. I agree with your PULSE and homage pokemon opinions as I never really saw getting "copies" of the original pokemon befitting of the main protagonist. I do however see the argument for honedge. Wasn't there an even around the Taka section (Reshiram Route I believe) where he says you should take one of the pokemon with you (either garchomp or aegislash)? I could be forgetting correct me if I'm wrong but Taka makes some mention of taking one of them with you to carry on some legacy. I also liked the idea of taking type null but I can see how you disagree :]. And yes I do feel like taking one of the Gang pokemon is a MUST. Mention that in an earlier post and I think most people agree on that lol....But yeah for the most part I agree and it seems to me most of your reasonings come from the hero player saving pokemon or giving abandoned pokemon new homes. I like the sentiment and appreciate it but I do feel like there are other reasons why the protagonist might take some of the other pokemon :] Either way, thanks for adding! And I like your list :]

Garchomp and Honedge are found at different locations, his point on legacy is because Garchomp is their family Pokemon, right? Or am I misremembering a link between Taka and Honedge? Besides the fact that Taka is just present when you find it and that it's a "King Arthur & Excalibur"-type situation?

Silvally is one of my favourites, but I don't like how we're a part of chopping up different Mons to create it. Giving Mons to some back-alley "scientists" just urks me..

So here is another potential take of it though... our main protagonist kind of shifts and morphs their morals, ideals, and strategies to face the many hurdles on the adventure. For example, we work for the police force during the tangrowth pulse portion of the game, but also end up joining a gang and then flipping BACK to help pay to restore the city... for all this I would say maybe it would be cool if the "cannon" team was equally as shape-shifty... like I'm thinking Greninja (who changes types mid battle), kecleon (who has camouflage to change to the arena typing), ditto (who morphs into the actual opponent, type null (who can change types with the memory you give it), and maybe like porygon (the download ability makes them "match" an opponent) and for the last one castform (who shifts with the weather)

I know this isn't necessarily a list that fits with the "major events" of the game, but I think it would establish you as a player as more of the wildcard and make you different enough from all the other characters in the game, as you literally ADAPT to any situation. I think it would also add a fun level of challenge since you would have a very high interaction rate with the fields and such. Just a thought but if I ever end up doing a "canon" run, that may be what I go for

Tl;Dr: make a team of shapeshifters because as a Canon, you are the most flexible character 

6 hours ago, Siv said:

Garchomp and Honedge are found at different locations, his point on legacy is because Garchomp is their family Pokemon, right? Or am I misremembering a link between Taka and Honedge? Besides the fact that Taka is just present when you find it and that it's a "King Arthur & Excalibur"-type situation?

Silvally is one of my favourites, but I don't like how we're a part of chopping up different Mons to create it. Giving Mons to some back-alley "scientists" just urks me..

Ah yes, you're right! They are found at different locations. My thing was that I believe (unless I'm misremembering) that Taka remarks on both pokemon being picked up by the player character. So that's why I was saying it was fair to pick up one or the other. Both might be overkill tho lol. But yeah I am seeing more people go with Garchomp over Aegislash so I will probably alter my list to just have Garchomp. I mean, who'd say no to a Garchomp lol. And yeah I understand your side when it comes to the Silvally thing. WHat you say makes perfect sense and sounds a little messed up when you put it that way, haha. But for the reason @Whitelight was saying earlier, I feel like it still might be a good pickup since the player character is known for their flexibility and adaptability in various situations. As well as the fact that the player character's morals and ideals change frequently throughout the story, so they might make some questionable decisions at one point in the story that they would not necessarily agree with later on or earlier on in the story. But I can see arguments for both sides! :]

4 hours ago, Whitelight said:

So here is another potential take of it though... our main protagonist kind of shifts and morphs their morals, ideals, and strategies to face the many hurdles on the adventure. For example, we work for the police force during the tangrowth pulse portion of the game, but also end up joining a gang and then flipping BACK to help pay to restore the city... for all this I would say maybe it would be cool if the "cannon" team was equally as shape-shifty... like I'm thinking Greninja (who changes types mid battle), kecleon (who has camouflage to change to the arena typing), ditto (who morphs into the actual opponent, type null (who can change types with the memory you give it), and maybe like porygon (the download ability makes them "match" an opponent) and for the last one castform (who shifts with the weather)

I know this isn't necessarily a list that fits with the "major events" of the game, but I think it would establish you as a player as more of the wildcard and make you different enough from all the other characters in the game, as you literally ADAPT to any situation. I think it would also add a fun level of challenge since you would have a very high interaction rate with the fields and such. Just a thought but if I ever end up doing a "canon" run, that may be what I go for

Tl;Dr: make a team of shapeshifters because as a Canon, you are the most flexible character 

Wow, that sounds so cool! I really never thought of doing a team like that, but your suggestions is really tempting me to go for something like that lol. Like you said, it would present a nice little challenge which I'm all in for :] It also makes sense in the symbolism side of things cause, as you said, the player character shows in many aspects of the game that they are a flexible character that can adapt to many situations. So that is a super rad idea lol. I'll have to keep that idea on the back burner as a potential team loadout. Thats if you don't mind me stealing that idea and using it for a future playthrough! Lol

6 minutes ago, LunarCosmos said:

Wow, that sounds so cool! I really never thought of doing a team like that, but your suggestions is really tempting me to go for something like that lol. Like you said, it would present a nice little challenge which I'm all in for :] It also makes sense in the symbolism side of things cause, as you said, the player character shows in many aspects of the game that they are a flexible character that can adapt to many situations. So that is a super rad idea lol. I'll have to keep that idea on the back burner as a potential team loadout. Thats if you don't mind me stealing that idea and using it for a future playthrough! Lol

I don't mind at all! It was your idea in the first place too for a canonical team, which I think is pretty awesome in itself. I have been trying to beat the game (reach the end credits not necessarily all the endgame content) with every monotype and dang is it taking me a bit. I am making it at a pretty good clip though, already have the ice, electric, and dragon runs down which I would consider some of the hardest and now I'm currently on the rock mono run. After I get done with all those though im gonna be really tempted to try the "changeling" run myself too!!!

2 hours ago, Whitelight said:

I don't mind at all! It was your idea in the first place too for a canonical team, which I think is pretty awesome in itself. I have been trying to beat the game (reach the end credits not necessarily all the endgame content) with every monotype and dang is it taking me a bit. I am making it at a pretty good clip though, already have the ice, electric, and dragon runs down which I would consider some of the hardest and now I'm currently on the rock mono run. After I get done with all those though im gonna be really tempted to try the "changeling" run myself too!!!

Sweet, thanks! Definitely documenting that down for later lol. Never thought of doing a "monotype" run myself, but who knows, might try that out myself too! Wouldn't know what type to start out with tho lol

1 hour ago, LunarCosmos said:

Sweet, thanks! Definitely documenting that down for later lol. Never thought of doing a "monotype" run myself, but who knows, might try that out myself too! Wouldn't know what type to start out with tho lol

I actually have sort of a rough ranking list for them.... Electric, Ice, dragon, rock, and grass are the hardest runs by far. Electric and ice are just weak types in general to carry a mono run, and the game doesn't give you any good dragon types until a bit later in the story. Grass and rock are hard because they each have 5 weaknesses. I would say the easier types to edge your way into a mono run would be fire, flying, ghost, or steel. Fire is a great offensive type and can alter a bunch of terrain to be really beneficial to your team, flying is a pairing with a huge variation of types and you can generally cover your weaknesses, ghost gives you access to things like curse which can get you out of tight spots and has 2 immunities in normal and fighting,  and steel just has a buttload of resists.

The thing I really love about mono runs is how it really shapes your game. For example, for a steel run fire types are REALLY scary because you don't have many mon that can resist it, and some of your strongest mon (scizor and ferrothorn) have a 4x weakness so they get burned to a crisp at the lightest touch of fire.... it makes for a really interesting game because people like Cal become TERRIFYING while other people like Aya become laughably easy. It makes it easy to have a headcannon about who you are as a trainer and you can choose the dialogue options that make 'sense' for you... for example on a dark run maybe you just be the biggest jerk you could possibly be and take all the 'negative' options, whereas in a fairy run maybe you take all the 'good' options. Just another of the many many amazing ways to enjoy the game!!!

Edit: got a little carried away with the post... tldr I'd start with a fire, ghost, flying, or steel those should be a LITTLE easier!