"Hello. I may not be such great company, but I'll try to lurk around from time to time."

Loner

Hello everyone, I'm Drew, a 32 years old man with little in the way of social relationships practice, and a lot of nostalgia for Pokémon from the times when it was still the new thing. I generally go by the name Loner or some variation of it when online as it tends to make the fact I generally have little to say less of a problem. To quote the old 1st Gen games, I'm "le strong, silent type". I generally have little time for fun, but when I do I tend to go all out.

Pokémon Reborn has been the game that captured me ever since the 2000s. There have been some good ones between then and now, but they never actually got my attention like Reborn has. The dark story, the level of challenge - always maxed out, as I prefer to play games at the highest level of difficulty as soon as I figure out the mechanics, generally restarting the game as I do - the characters' characterization, the surprising extra field effects and the like, added to the fact the last time I played Pokémon was with Emerald, made it such an outstanding experience that I don't think there's words for it. I never found myself thinking of "games" in my few free moments inbetween work and necessities, but Reborn managed to get into my thoughts so easily I could not let it go.

Plus, the game seemed to want to capture me, by giving me some outstandingly awesome odds. To put it in perspective, I'll attach my starter and a very hard capture in the wild - had to read a guide for that, but definitely worth it. Those were first encounters, I did not reset for better odds or anything, as I hear some people do. You can't just not want to use those Pokémon, especially if you're used, like me, to seeing 1, maybe 2 shinies throughout the whole game, and they more often than not being scripted ones. So yeah, the playthrough felt almost magical. Now granted, they weren't like that when I got them - Adamant nature on Froakie, Quiet on Metagross - but as a first encounter in both cases, and once I found out you can change natures, I just could not not use those. Metagross was dreadful to get though I appreciate the easter egg feel to it.

I could go on more, but I'll stop the gushing. 

And now, I'm gonna have an overly serious parenthesis to save me and everyone else possible grief and frustration in the future.

You see, I'm generally more of a lurker kind of guy and generally have little interactions with communities due to severe social anxiety, but after reading good things about Reborn, seeing how the community seems tight-knit and accepting, and playing through the current release in the last few months, I was so impressed by this wonderful work of art I just had to make a profile here, if only to say my thanks to all people involved in it. So, thank you, you wonderful Artists. Plus, contact through the internet is less stressing to me than face to face, so at least I should be able to say something from time to time.

Still, I'm not often online due to a very busy and unpredictable real life, short notice work trips and the like, so in all likelyhood I will be more of a lurker than a speaker, and for that I would like to apologize in advance. Please, don't think I'm not interested in interacting or that I'm ignoring you, I just have a hard time doing it, be it because of no internet while travelling for work or having a hard time putting things into words/finding something to say.

Now, with the premises off the table, it's time for general notes I guess.

English is not my first language, so sorry in advance for any typo or misunderstanding that may originate from it.

I also tend to take things in the literal sense, so my writing tends to not have much in the way of jokes, sarcasm and the like, though when I joke I do say so. I appreciate being corrected if I happen to be wrong on something, as the last thing I would want to do is spread misinformation.

Thanks in advance for the time and effort you who read put into reading this, hopefully my lurking won't bother you and everyone else too much.

Reborn 1.png

Reborn 2.png

Edited by Loner
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Nope, no resets or anything. Also for the Metagross, that was a first attempt capture.

I know a little of how stats work, and I remembered natures from Gen3, so I knew they were pretty good. I was honestly surprised, it felt too good to be true! 🤯

Still yeah, my luck is generally dreadful, it's probably just evening itself out.