So the designers know that difficulty doesn't equal...

tytelr

• Global Mods
12 minutes ago, Motoko said:

And that's the problem. That is not a challenge.

I don't mean to attack anyone with this, but I believe the gameplay is what ruins this game. And maybe the overly emo characters, but basically the gameplay.

And listen here, I'm a souls player and my favourite fighting game is Tekken, so I believe I know a lot about difficulty.  When we talk about RPG I do Shin Megami Tensei, so I believe I know a lot about difficulty. 

For starters the pokemon battle system has always always had the flaw of being too simple (After all the target was always children) but putting some fake difficulty on the system is not going to make it better, or challenging. 

I feel I need to make a difference between "challenging" and "tedious" that a lot of people seems to mix up. 

Challenging is that you will have to use your brain to find a certain way to archieve a goal, using your own skills. And usually there are different ways to archieve a goal in videogames. Tedious is basically putting a single way to archieve a goal, that is going to take forever. 

When you play SMT (for example) you are not forced to use certain demons. And in Pokemon Reborn you are basically forced to use X Pokemon that will be imposible to archieve. This is not challenging, this is expecting that everyone will want to spend hours doing tedious task to archieve an objective. In comercial games, this kind of situation is evaded (even is SMT) with what we call anti-fustration features.

The only thing that spares Pokemon Reborn right now, is the game being free.  And I hope the original game Ame is working on is not following the same premise Pokemon Reborn uses, because it will become a sales bust before it even manages to get out. I mean, yes we creators create things that we like, and that works truly well when you are a writer or an artist. But not when you are doing videogames. Because videogame development is a two sided road. So as much as you want to tell people and guide them on "You must play the game THIS way because this is how I want YOU to play" this is quite a bad idea in the long run. You are basically cutting your target audience.

I remember playing and quitting the game after defeating Shelly. And you will probably ask me "Why would you quit after defeating someone?" and that's because I got feed up with how the battle went. I didn't see much problem with all the other trainers, or even the meteors, okay it wasn't easy it, but there was some sense of balance. 

But then we come to Gym Leaders. The most disasterous thing this game has, from a gameplay point and from a plot point. I think it has never been said directly, but there has been implied (Specifically in Pokemon Black and white and the following generations)  that Gym Leaders and the Elite Four are somehow of a goverment thing. So there were two things that baffled me. 1. How certain people (Like Shelly, Titania, Laura or even Amaria)  managed to land a the job, given how they are all fucked in the head. 2. How for some reason they whole Gym Leaders thing seems to be hereditary. This is the recipe for disaster.  For gameplay, it was basically the reason I quit. Julia's fight was a bit weird, but well it was an electric field with electric pokemons, so I didn't pay it attention. I defeat her at the first try, and we were done with it. 

But then I started noticing something really weird after defeating Flobot (I forgot her name). I was going with a team that was her counter 100% and I was kicking her ass, then at her last pokemon, she did some OP shit totally out of the blue and nearly whipped my team. I ended kicked her ass anyways, but it was weird. So I go with Corey and the same situation happens once again, for some reason they AI decides that since I'm kicking their ass, is time to cheat. But I decided to keep going, until I got to Shelly.  So I followed the whole "If the enemy uses rain use water attacks" I was prepared for that, but for some reason even tought all my mons were level 35, and I had one using fire while the other using water, at ONCE AGAIN the last two pokemons suddenly went OP for no reason (Even using movements that they shouldn't have) and I was done. 

That's not difficulty neither is challenge, at this point all I feel is that you are bullshitting me. And then I read some forum post of people complaining about the same stuff and people answering "Oh but you need to use X pokemon" and I'm like "This is not how a pokemon game works". This is not a puzzle. If we wanted puzzles I think we would play some candy crush or stuff like that. 

I believe it's really sad and disappointing when you see that the IA of a game bullshitting at you like that. And it's really dissapointing when Ame or the dev's concept of challenge and difficulty, is the IA straight up cheating in your face. I'm sorry for this is horrible. And once again thankfully this is a free game. 

I played this game before some years ago, so I had a saved file. But I wanted to play it from the start since the game was completed, so I started a new game. But hell no. I'm not going trough this. Why should I? Just to read the plot? So I need to basically play a horrendous gameplay just to somehow enjoy the plot? Well no.

I'm sorry but this not a good game. It's a disasterous game. I played other pokemon fangames that were difficult, real difficult, and reborn is not one of them. 

I actually annoys me, because Reborn had a lot of potential, and back in the day everybody was talking about. But it got totally and 100% ruined, because for some reason the devs decided that making a gameplay that is not only tedious but straight cheats on you, you would be a fucking great idea.

After saying this, I'm out.

Why are you trying to continue a thread that was made, and finished almost 9 years ago? Lmao.

3 hours ago, Motoko said:

I'm sorry but this not a good game. It's a disasterous game.

Nope, it's pretty great, which is why any of us are even here reading this. People can have different tastes.

Also yeah you have replied to a 9 year old topic