One Should Not Do This While Sober [Rejuv V12 Review][Spoilers]

Commander

Y'all know what this is so you either are interested in what I say or you aren't. For those of you who are not: 9/10. Now Begone.

Edit: That score is meant for this chapter and content added for V12 alone. Not overall. Just wanted to clarify.

Now for the rest of you, EVERYTHING YOU SEE BELOW CONTAINS SPOILERS. I'll give you guys some breathing room if you dived into this carelessly so you can duck out before it's too late.

I gave you guys the score so we can set down and talk about it beforehand. "Why on Earth would Comm ever give something that high?" is what most of you are thinking. Do I actually think it's one of the best things I ever played since Chrono Trigger? No. My gut reaction is to make it a 7 or 8 just from my impressions, but I had to look at it from quite a few aspects and decided that was the best thing to give it. But when you look at it from the view of the type of people this game was made for, that score makes a lot more sense. Trust me, Rejuv really isn't a game made for me but I would be lying if I didn't say I had an absolute blast playing this episode I had to really think about how I would approach this. I know by the time I reach this in the run it'll be far too late for feedback so think of this as a many runthrough as I go through and talk about everything I did and thoughts. This will be a disaster.

So we start off with Flora finishing up her speech along with the Bladestar moral conflict. I don't think Bladestar really had enough time for a buildup and they just all kind of feel insignificant and not very threatening. I'm sorry, but all these people kind of just really felt shallow and even Flora I really did not get much from. It's like going out to a steak place and they are out of steak so you get chicken. It's good, but you don't go to a steak place to eat chicken so it tastes worse than it really is because of it. Flora is a decent character but we are going so fast there's not much time to build up or take her in and there's barely any time to really build her up. Like what, 1 chapter and some small snippits. Normally this would be a huge backfire but let's just continue on, shall we? After that speech, we see Amber and Hazuki (now an old lady so RIP that Madame X theory) with a nice little scene explaining GDC is on lockdown and Amber has to continue the show not giving us the present she wants to give us. Swear to Arceus if that's a Vulpix...but nonetheless we charge out of there and meet our buddy Ren...and Aelita. Really surprised how quickly we reunite with them but oh well.

The ship...tank...thing (let's just call it a ship) was actually rather nice as it had a small cast pool all of which really bounce off each other even if Eli and Sharon are kind of nobodies. Having the heroes and Narcy team up really helped showcase a fun cast that really bounce off each other so it never felt boring. I don't care for Huey but he really didn't take away from anything. Anyways, I also liked the whole Texan segment tying back into WLL. I definitely know it's not really possible but it would be nice if WLL was combined with Rejuv, but that may be way too much work. I do recommend putting a link to the thread because it really just helps this segment be more clear. That was a fun battle showcasing Cherrim and I was estatic getting a Crest for the guy because now it can be used on other teams than sun which is fun. Crest collecting is great in this one. I told you this would be a mess. Also nice little bonus Sharon and Eli battle which I had a bit of trouble (forgot to record to boot), but I was victorious nonetheless.

I'll save the other part after the Zone Zero segment but now we have time to explore where we're mostly with Aelita and Ren which oddly makes for a good combo. Ren has a really bad day getting beat by a Jigglypuff (which now I'm sure Risa is E8 material now). And Risa is also in the tournament which somehow someone is covering for us or something. Who knows what that's all about. So one cool part about these segments is you play as Aelita, Ren, and you all with their teams as ou switch characters to move around. I don't know how Jan did it, but he did and I love it. It was one of the things I would've done if I were to make a game. Proud of you. Anyways, a lot of this is kind of fun filler so we're going to skip up until Nim shows up (there's a lot that happens). I have mixed feelings about Lyra/Nim. I mean she's crazy which is executed just fine but it really didn't do much other than be a roadblock and to make Ren talk backwards for amusement. I mean this episode pretty much includes everyone so maybe it was shoehorned in for a type of finale. Let's just keep moving forward. After Nim's defeat we see Isha's lab with a body in a capsule along with a PC to fix Ren and for everyone to catch up. Risa also solves our problem then we go and defeat the pulse which took FOREVER to kill (thank god it didn't use Swallow more than once) and Audino who I forgot to mention but is a mobile heal spot to purify it back. Apparently it's the Hippo from the past signified by out Puppetmaster friend.

Now we have the Melia segment which I figured was her on the verge of death but she was just in her mind. We meet good old blondie brat again and while I like the interaction, I really dislike the whole "control emotions" shoehorn in there. I think it could've been executed better by simply saying she played with her mind altering her memories a bit. I'd have to relook at the whole thing to really talk about it...and I forgot something in the previous part. And now we get to Melia waking up being taken hostage by Amanda who doesn't work for Xen or Bladestar. I remember Flora menioning she was Co-leader and guessed Amanda was the actual leader but boy was I wrong. Madelis comes out of nowhere to save the day. They defeat Amanda who is a...robot thing. And this is where my hair is yanked out of my head. Why? Just why? Just comes out of thin air she's a robot. Then Erick and Saki bot show up and beat it up and it dies revealing something about controlling the league or something. I'd need to be drunk to be willing to go over that and I'm realizing my mind deleted most of that from my head. It was a cool fight mechanic at least. No idea how it works but I won which is all that matters. Also a bit of Madelis backstory which kind of also ties in the whole you lose your soul if you betray Madame X stuff. Which is kind of important since Narcy is kind of doing stuff behind her back.

Did I mention Geara is here with an unkown other capsule? Geara really fell apart since we last saw him. Honestly would've been fine with him staying dead. Ze less Geara lines ze better. Pyramid is pretty simple as the well is dried up because Flora took the stone (Bladestar was rather quiet the entire plot). We have to run up to the Skyview but we are stopped by strange machines which first fight owns me and I'm saved by Allen who is in one of the pods. Just throw all logic out the window for right now. Alice also appears and apparently made a puzzle just to play with us and then Aelita gives her a knock of the head of reality because she wanted to kill us all. They get sent back to the Zero Realm and fight the Unknown to get back. It sounds nonsensical but it works. Huey and Reina join the main 3 (well Ren and the player right now) and then a gauntlet fight happens which I lose in spectacular fashion and then a glitch happens and I have to reset instead of taking the L. So I'm guessing Jan tried something new and forgot about the whole transperancy thing causing players to be invisible. I don't know if exit event process fixes it but I did that and set transparency off to fix a couple fight glitches I took the L on. Surprised a game breaking glitch like that wasn't found and fixed much earlier. A rayquayza bot appears and just kills all the grunts (we get a lot of team up fights in this episode and play as like 6 characters counting sidequests). Flora be mad.

Now to speed this up to the gym. Aelita joins, Surfer back, Nastasia takes (I just realized Narcy is a different character. Not gonna fix it) control of Ren and weird stuff is happening. We get to the top and Flora is controlling Ryland in which the player beats them, Aelita nabs the Jewel and the spring doesn't come back. You need a descendant of the royal family to activate it which Ryland is the only one who can. Flora threatens to kill him if they don't comply to their demands which you get some interesting choices before being interrupted by a phone call before you can honestly pick one (I love that troll move). Ren broadcasts Cassandra is alive causing Flora to smash her computer freeing Rylan and he passes out. So we aren't even close to being done yet. Madame X decides to randomly show up and Melia also shows up for an epic battle that causes Madame X's mask to crack which seeing that bit of her face kind of makes me think I know who it is (or honestly should be given how odd of a character she is). Surfer and Red haired girl from WLL show up and she uses her illusion magic which thanks to my sucking seemed for me to make the right choice. Hooray for being the weakest member in the group. We all get beat up then Braixen with her moral compass on whether to evolve or not during this whole episode evolves to kick butt we play as Adam to finish her off. The three of them flee and Adam (now back to being his old self) saves the day by turning the spring back on. He's Rylan's bro. I actually really liked this whole segment as well. Oh yeah, Florin escaped and came back to arrest Flora. So Bladestar is done. Great way to end the chapter...except we're not near the end yet.

So I really dislike the whole running out of time dilemma which I kind of would have preferred it if Narcissa lied about the time knowing they wouldn't make it just to give them hope. Oh well it was nice seeing Damien and Alexandra help out keeping them powered on. So the three people in the pods were Alice, Allen, and what was thought to be Melia was...Erin which now we get back to the hair pulling. So Erin has blonde hair and is actually Melia's sister as told by a voice in the sky that was their mother. Alice and Allen are also their siblings and when they all touch hands they form the symbol of Arceus. Melia is basically Arceus so she's basically God. And I was just starting to like her after she apologized to Ren and the two made up. Cassandra pulling an Osborne (guys should really play Cold Steel) I'm okay with, but I kind of wish Erin died. Would've been better than whatever I just witnessed. Nastasia boots everyone out while she works on pod 4. Also Damien and Adam have a broment and Alexandra wants to talk to the player and the 4 blondies (and Ren iirc) but they need to go rescue Lavender putting that meeting on hold.

Hospital of Hope is pretty short put very jammed. Basically the heroes storm the place, Learn Isha is also half his father and is dying from the disease he somehow inherited from the mind transfer thingy. He's crazy and wants to be inside Lavender. Player battles and defeats him and then Ren and Venam come to the rescue. Yes, Venam was the 4th pod and the spring freed her from being a statue. Isha is arrested and Melia and Venam hug in happiness. I can't believe it but I actually like Venam in this one as she actually learned her goddamn lesson. Either Jan is a brilliant writer with 5d foresight or he saw complaints possibly my run and made notes revising the later parts. Do I care which one? No. Am I happy with it? Yes. Melia is surprised by Venam's change (well loss of the bratty teen) and then Kannon shows up saying Alexandra wants to meet ending the episode. My god was this a rollercoaster plot.

Sidequests are all good...even the weird Goomink one. There felt like far less from the massive dump V12 offered but there's a good selection considering how massive the plot is. That is the heavily condensed version of a 3 chapter's worth plot. I don't even think my brain processed and remembered everything it all just flew by. I'm going to keep this brief because I'm tired and I'm not sure if Jan reads these. First and foremost, that was way too much to take in but if it means shoving all of this stuff that needed resolution out of the way quickly, this was the only option. It's better to jam stuff in a middle segment then to clog up the more climatic plot. If this is what the next few versions are looking like, I'd consider doing a little bit of revision to see what can be pulled out of the main story into a possible sidequest or side content. It was also a tad disappointing we weren't the ones to defeat Flora but I have a feeling she'll be back for the finale. Anyways, I don't like when Rejuv goes into the too far out there like the Amanda thing, but if the fans love it, keep on doing it. I do bring up a breath of caution when using Arceus. The "God" archtype in RPGs has been exhausted to the point it doesn't feel climatic anymore and can end up boring or tiresome for players. Rapter did it first and what made it special is that no Pokemon game has done anything like it before or after so far. That bar is set very high and even Reborn could end up being disappointing. You're way too deep to change it, I know. Just don't be careless or it will brutally bite you in the butt. More than Melia or the Ren fence thing.

Now you're probably wondering "Why on earth is Comm still playing Rejuv if he complains so much?" I'll admit it the plot is usually a turn off for me. Sometimes it has good moments but that plot really isn't for me and it's often why I go on long rants. It's the little details the game throws in that keep me playing. I mean in this one we have little text bubbles from people which made me glee a little bit inside. For every moment I whine about something, I go "that's so cool" for like 5 other things and it's just hard to really list them since it's in the back of my mind. I was absolutely losing it getting to play as my favorite who was himself again near the end. I couldn't ask for a better cast of character to be around for the majority of the chapter. And no Erin for most of it. It's almost as if Jan tailored it to be something I actually would freaking love to death. Not my favorite chapter (thanks to a certain scene) but certainly a candidate. I tend to focus more on my complaints since I know a good 100 people would echo praises I would say anyways. And remember, why on Earth would I dedicate 100s of hours to a game if I thought it was boring? I may not like Rejuv at points, but I can certainly say it's anything but not memorable both in a good and a bad way. I actually feel so bad I won't be able to get to this part in well over a year because there's so much to talk about which is why I made this condensed version so people and see and read this as a sneak peak.

...I also forgot that the player actually talks in this one. THANK YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THAT! Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be doing what Big Betty did after meeting Goomink. Also chapter 14 is 6.1k pics. That's going to take FOREVER to get through.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 7/7/2019 at 10:22 PM, Commander said:

There felt like far less from the massive dump V12 offered but there's a good selection considering how massive the plot is. That is the heavily condensed version of a 3 chapter's worth plot. I don't even think my brain processed and remembered everything it all just flew by. I'm going to keep this brief because I'm tired and I'm not sure if Jan reads these. First and foremost, that was way too much to take in but if it means shoving all of this stuff that needed resolution out of the way quickly, this was the only option. It's better to jam stuff in a middle segment then to clog up the more climatic plot. If this is what the next few versions are looking like, I'd consider doing a little bit of revision to see what can be pulled out of the main story into a possible sidequest or side content.

I agree with this and disagree with this.

edit: I just noticed where you said in the post that it was about V12 content alone and I completely missed that when I wrote this but oh well, too late now 😛

I disagree with this mostly because I feel like Rejuv is paced like in multiple arcs and its pretty safe to say that we completed and arc here and I don't see it as "rushing out the conclusions of a bunch of sideplots" and more as a really good conclusion to the end of the arc. I was writing paragraphs about it due to being so in love with the world but I feel like I don't really need to explain the story since, well, you know that bit.

Shadow Pokemon (Badges 1-5), Valor Mountain (Badges 5-8), Terrial Region Arc (Badges 10-14)
I felt like each arc in of itself was paced extremely well, all with clear beginnings, middles, and ends.

Here was no exception, we have the reason we're set out to go to the Terrial Region, we meet Bladestar, We find Saki's "thingymabob," we know people are turning to stone in GDC and that gym leaders are explicitly being targetted.
Then, we have the episodes in the middle that keep building up the plot, building more layers and layers of foundation. Its more build up for a climax which is V12
where Its a rush against the clock, if you don't make it to the spring in time, your friends will die.
And then a bunch of shit happens at the top of the pyramid and its crazy.

Yeah, the episode did a really good job at that part, I loved it when in the previous episode, you explore Hiyoshi City and then while you're going through Zone Zero you realize something: This is Hiyoshi City. And then it makes you wonder "What happened during the calamity to make Hiyoshi City like this" and suddenly You're showed this Nuke and you're like
woah
And its like that as well but for the pryamid its great.
it made the build up to everything that happened at the top of the pyramid so much better because you have all of these things that are about to collapse ontop of each other and the world building is so goooooooooooooooood.

Anyhow, I think the main story is fine for sure, the only suggestion I would add is to instead of is to have transitions for when its the beginning of a new arc. I feel like from the way things are currently, it could be really easy for the player to get lost in the plot and not know what is going on anymore, and seperating the game into arcs kind of makes the story easier to chew? Idunno if I'm explaining it right, but I'm trying?

Also I just want to say
I really love the Isha part
its a really great way to transition from what just happened, but also gives the player more, and it feels really satisfying to complete. Like, I don't feel like I'm left on a cliffhanger here because of that little side story.
Its a really great way to allow the player to take a breath and digest the story of the game.

But then oh no whats this
Jan made an oppsie
He decided to make Amanda a fucking robot?
Why couldn't he wait until the next epsiode or until the end instead of while we're trying to cross Zone Zero to show us this?
Who knows? But NOTHING HERE MAKES SENSE.
IN FACT, HAVE A SCREENSHOT FROM THAT EXACT SAME PART THAT DESCRIBES MY FEELINGS EXTREMELY WELL
6fhv75.png
WHY IS AMANDA A ROBOT?
WHY IS MADELIS HERE?
I don't even remember when this part even happens I just know that its before we entered the pyramid and that it makes NO SENSE FOR IT TO BE THERE.

I'm waiting to replay the game again to try to make sense of Allen and Alice but WHY ARE THEY NOT IN THEIR STASIS CHAMBER THINGYS?
WHY DID THEY GROW UP?
WHY DOES ALLEN HATE ROBOTS?
WHAT HAPPENED TO ALLEN'S NINETALES?
I felt like Allen and Alice suddenly revealing to be the other 2 children and the fact that Erin was also one of the children is a bit weird. I am in the middle of another playthrough so I might be able to make sense of Erin (Also from logical deduction, once you're shown the Allen and Alice in the stasis pod thingys, its actually not hard to figure out that Erin is Melia's sister). Allen and Alice weren't like, completely thrown out of left field, but the fact that I really don't know who those kids are and that this is being thrown at me and now suddenly why did they form the artifact made no sense. I mean I get the 4 are siblings but why did they form the symbol of god?

Lets bring up another thing that your mind blanked out:
Why during this arc were we shown someone pretending to be us and then people pretending to be other people who are solidified in stone (which how come no one called this out btw) and then just leave this hanging??????????

Your mind probably blocked out ALL of this because it was something that was never really touched upon and it'll probably make sense eventually.
But why?
This is the only thing that you started to build up upon, and I thought we would get some resolution to this, but nope. We didn't, and now its just another unanswered question that I feel like should have been answered.

But yeah really great epsiode Jan good job proud of ya dude.

3 hours ago, Alisae said:

edit: I just noticed where you said in the post that it was about V12 content alone and I completely missed that when I wrote this but oh well, too late now 😛

I disagree with this mostly because I feel like Rejuv is paced like in multiple arcs and its pretty safe to say that we completed and arc here and I don't see it as "rushing out the conclusions of a bunch of sideplots" and more as a really good conclusion to the end of the arc. I was writing paragraphs about it due to being so in love with the world but I feel like I don't really need to explain the story since, well, you know that bit.

Shadow Pokemon (Badges 1-5), Valor Mountain (Badges 5-8), Terrial Region Arc (Badges 10-14)

I felt like each arc in of itself was paced extremely well, all with clear beginnings, middles, and ends.

Here was no exception, we have the reason we're set out to go to the Terrial Region, we meet Bladestar, We find Saki's "thingymabob," we know people are turning to stone in GDC and that gym leaders are explicitly being targetted.
Then, we have the episodes in the middle that keep building up the plot, building more layers and layers of foundation. Its more build up for a climax which is V12

where Its a rush against the clock, if you don't make it to the spring in time, your friends will die.

Yeah, the episode did a really good job at that part, I loved it when in the previous episode, you explore Hiyoshi City and then while you're going through Zone Zero you realize something: This is Hiyoshi City. And then it makes you wonder "What happened during the calamity to make Hiyoshi City like this" and suddenly You're showed this Nuke and you're like

woah

it made the build up to everything that happened at the top of the pyramid so much better because you have all of these things that are about to collapse ontop of each other and the world building is so goooooooooooooooood.

Anyhow, I think the main story is fine for sure, the only suggestion I would add is to instead of is to have transitions for when its the beginning of a new arc. I feel like from the way things are currently, it could be really easy for the player to get lost in the plot and not know what is going on anymore, and seperating the game into arcs kind of makes the story easier to chew? Idunno if I'm explaining it right, but I'm trying?

Also I just want to say

its a really great way to transition from what just happened, but also gives the player more, and it feels really satisfying to complete. Like, I don't feel like I'm left on a cliffhanger here because of that little side story.

Its a really great way to allow the player to take a breath and digest the story of the game.

Jan made an oppsie

Why couldn't he wait until the next epsiode or until the end instead of while we're trying to cross Zone Zero to show us this?

IN FACT, HAVE A SCREENSHOT FROM THAT EXACT SAME PART THAT DESCRIBES MY FEELINGS EXTREMELY WELL

6fhv75.png

WHY IS AMANDA A ROBOT?
WHY IS MADELIS HERE?

I don't even remember when this part even happens I just know that its before we entered the pyramid and that it makes NO SENSE FOR IT TO BE THERE.

I'm waiting to replay the game again to try to make sense of Allen and Alice but WHY ARE THEY NOT IN THEIR STASIS CHAMBER THINGYS?
WHY DID THEY GROW UP?
I felt like Allen and Alice suddenly revealing to be the other 2 children and the fact that Erin was also one of the children is a bit weird. I am in the middle of another playthrough so I might be able to make sense of Erin (Also from logical deduction, once you're shown the Allen and Alice in the stasis pod thingys, its actually not hard to figure out that Erin is Melia's sister). Allen and Alice weren't like, completely thrown out of left field, but the fact that I really don't know who those kids are and that this is being thrown at me and now suddenly why did they form the artifact made no sense. I mean I get the 4 are siblings but why did they form the symbol of god?

Why during this arc were we shown someone pretending to be us and then people pretending to be other people who are solidified in stone (which how come no one called this out btw) and then just leave this hanging??????????

Your mind probably blocked out ALL of this because it was something that was never really touched upon and it'll probably make sense eventually.

But why?

This is the only thing that you started to build up upon, and I thought we would get some resolution to this, but nope. We didn't, and now its just another unanswered question that I feel like should have been answered.

"WHY IS MADELIS HERE?" In V11's ending, Cassandra chewed Madelis off and Sended her outside to cry, where she witnessed Melia getting kidnapped by Amanda. Because Melia is important, she followed her. No clue what is up with everything else though.

20 minutes ago, nhehvnukl said:

"WHY IS MADELIS HERE?" In V11's ending, Cassandra chewed Madelis off and Sended her outside to cry, where she witnessed Melia getting kidnapped by Amanda. Because Melia is important, she followed her. No clue what is up with everything else though.

Ok yeah I remember something going boom and Melia and Amanda interacting, but my mind must of blanked this out with the fact that something went boom and Amanda kidnapped Melia.

Goes to show how relevant Madelis and Cassandra are.

6 hours ago, Alisae said:

Reveal hidden contents

woah

Also I just want to say

Jan made an oppsie
6fhv75.png
WHY IS AMANDA A ROBOT?
WHY IS MADELIS HERE?

WHY DID THEY GROW UP?

But why?

Well for Alice and Allen we dont know how long they been in the unown universe so by them leaving they perhaps grew up fast due to a difference of aging. As for why does Allen hate robots well remember Alice was manipulating his personality a bit so to fit the character of her "story" she added that in there.

Version 12, in my opinion, is like a 7 or 8. Overall this version made the most progression story-wise, but was somewhat anti-climatic. Bladestar was defeated off-screen in the judicial district, and also lost 50 members by the mechanical Rayquaza and we didn't even fight flora we fought Ryland who was controlled by her. After she loses she says Ryland's pokemon are as disappointing as him. Flora then gets arrested again, I hope bladestar or at least flora comes back (also what about V another high ranking bladestar member).

Remember the explosion that bladestar caused in the grand dream ball it was completely pointless Cassandra is still alive (key to xenpurgis), and all the other main characters, except rich people and bladestar members, are alive at the end. What was the point of bladestar, they are introduced, are idiots, lose all their members they finally do something which later is proven to be pointless except killing bystanders and their own people?

The game also keeps saying team Xen is the main villain in the story but we have utterly destroyed every single admin and high-ranking member except madame x, Cassandra and Nastastia who is helping us way too much and clearly has ulterior motives and doesn't seem evil teaming up with us (not telling madame x ). Madelis also got redemption this version. Madame x is Nymeria (at least her face looks like her), which just makes me think madam x won't be the big bad villain that we all think.

Now apparently the Amanda we know is a robot who replaced the original, it is commanded by someone called Celine. Apparently, she is the reason the league is ran so badly (since the MC came back to aevium, which is several months), no dark type, or fairy type gym leaders. That all seem like BS, I am curious when did Jan come up with the idea of the Amanda we are introduced to being an imposter, and a robot also where is the real Amanda?

This version also had cool puzzles, loved the group of ren, MC, and Aelita, advancing through zone zero and pyramid was always entertaining and fun (no melia finally). They introduced too many villains, and way too many characters, so if the bladestar ending is what will happen to like theolia church, team xen, nim, Celine, and others I am not very hopeful.

Edit- Isha/ Ishia story arc was bland, expected and anti-climatic (those vaccines thou), Venam is back with the spring of rejuvenation I expected something more differently with her revival, but way too much to cover with not enough time.

Edited by Harryp