So, Isabelle is in Smash, huh?

ShadeStrider

I can't say I'm hyped. I never cared about Isabelle. I didn't really care about Ridley or K. Rool either, but now I'm Hyped for those two because they had awesome trailers. Isabelle's trailer matched the theme of the game she came from, but It didn't really hype me up. So, I continue to not care about Isabelle.

I am glad that Incineroar isn't in (yet). I hate Incineroar Far more than Amethyst hates Budew, and my hatred grew to be this extreme when it was even suggested that Incineroar had a shot at being in Smash Bros over Decidueye.

No Raiden to stand beside Snake, no Sephiroth to fight Cloud, no Dante to fight Bayonetta, and no Sora to stand beside Cloud. These were my top 4 most wanted fighters. I never expected any of them to get in, but I still had a tiny sliver of hope. So, I was still slightly disappointed that none of them got in.

The only other interesting part about the direct for me was all the Playable Final Fantasy games. But they forgot about IV, V, VI, VIII, and Tactics. I'm willing to bet the only reason Final Fantasy VII wasn't forgotten was the fact that It's the most well known Final Fantasy among gamers.

No Fire Emblem or Metroid Prime 4. Disappointing.

I didn't like this direct. But If you enjoyed it, I have nothing against you.

The Direct's comment section was pretty annoying on my end, seeing as they spent the whole thing demanding Smash news, only to boo tremendously when it finally came up. Like, sure, I get that Isabelle isn't that high on most peoples' wishlists (I'll admit that I wasn't too hyped for her myself), but that was quite the rude reception! Heck, the team had even gone and taken an extra mile with her- most of the people who expected her to be in figured that she'd be an Echo through and through, yet the most obviously-similar thematically move they showed her using to the Villager's was the giroid- and even then, she seems use it more akin to Snake's up-smash than the reflavored Green Missile her mayor uses! And using the Smash reveal as a stepping stone to finally unveil the next Animal Crossing game at last? I'd say that was a pretty clever way to hype up the folks who actually care about the series, personally!

Looking earlier in the Direct, I find myself having a few worries. We already knew that GameFreak has had two teams working hard as of late (one on Let's GO!, the other on 2019's title<s>), but today revealed that they had a third team working on a non-Pokemon RPG as well. Like, I'm sure that I'm worrying about nothing here, but I still can't help but feel a bit apprehensive about the possibility of them spreading their resources a bit too thin here... 😓

The Katamari remake caught me by surprise, but wasn't particularly thrilling. The graphical update is rather Forever-ish, which is to be expected, but aside from that... I sure hope they rebalance Make a Star 7 for this one- I was never able to beat that stage, and digging through the internet revealed that it's widely considered to be one of the toughest stages in the game for most people.

The TWEWY update this time confuses me a bit- they put a significant amount of focus on this 'Another Day' thing like it was something totally new, yet there was a post-game chapter by the same name in its first release! Either someone at Square wasn't paying attention, or they're really, really bad at naming things...

The one thing that did manage to incite some degree of hype in me was the fact that, of all the obscure Final Fantasy things out there, they opted to remake friggin' Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon! I sank a lot of time into that particular game the summer we spent with my mother back in 2009, personally, and found out that it was widely unknown when I finally discovered the internet after the fact. Sure, the whole befriending enemies thing is clearly lifted from Kirby in this instance, but considering that the original game only gave you the one character (a sharp divide from PMD's 2+), I can't really complain. I did notice that Chocobo was wearing a red bicorne(?) hat throughout most of the trailer, though- none of the Jobs in the original game had such a thing. My guesses are that it's either the Bard (which seems a but unlikely, seeing as there already was the Dancer) or the red mage (which would be... curious, from a balance point of view), but since it didn't use any of its skills, it's tough to make any further inferences. I wonder if you can use the partner thing to kidnap Croma's Dark Elemental in the Guardian of Water, lol

The shaking grenade subweapon the Splatoon 2 update trailer revealed seems like a terribly risky move that would have to have some significant reward to make up for the fact that you're a very obvious sitting duck while charging it. Also, the octolings seem to have fully taken over the surface. I think that's about all I can really say about that one?

All in all, I feel like I got a fair bit more out of this Direct than I had expected going in, personally. I'm sure that most folks don't feel the same way, but oh well- there's always next time, I suppose.

I'm not hyped for Isabelle as well as I do not really care for Animal Crossing, she is cute though. Now for your picks I agree with Raiden, Sephiroth and/or Sora (for new Sony rep) but even though I like Dante, I don't want Capcom to outshine the other 3rd parties. As for pokemon I don't want Incineroar or Decidueye as I'm hoping for Dusk Lycanroc.

You’d have to be crazy to be expecting a 3rd party character in today’s direct.  Realistically we should have been expecting Isaac, Incineroar, Decidueye, Skull Kid, Hades, or ug... Isabelle and she got in over the others.  We might see one of the others in an October reveal, but I wouldn’t expect a new rep from Konami, Square Enix, or Capcom until November.  Also no to Raider and Sephiroth.  Gimme Geno, Crono, Phoenix Wright, or Dante.  I also low key want Doom Guy.

also Sora, Sephiroth, and Raider are not “Sony reps.”  That would be someone like Nathan Drake, Ratchet and Clank, or Sly Cooper.

My most wanted characters are Isaac and Incineroar.  Isaac would has been continuously shafted ever since brawl and he is too awesome of a character to get the short end so often.  He is also unique and IS A NINTENDO OWNED CHARACTER.  And putting him in would help promote his series, Golden Sun, the same way smash gave good publicity to Earthbound, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade.

Incineroar makes more sense for a variety of reasons.

1. When smash goes into development they decide on the roster first then make the game.  The roster was decided on shortly after releasing Bayonetta and Corrin as DLC.  So when Sakurai contacted the Pokémon company about the gen 7 rep we will enevitably get, they most likely sent him sketches of Incineroar.

2. Popularity of Decidueye and Lycanroc Dusk doesn’t matter at all.  Incineroar would have been chosen during the time we were still waiting for ORAS to come out.

3. The rep seems to be based on who is the most important Pokémon in the anime.

pikachu because duh.

jigglypuff because in early season 1, she was a reoccurring character.  She was also easy to do because she is built on Kirby assets.

Mewtwo is really popular in general and had the strokes back movie building hype for him.

Pichu was pushed because the big gimmick of gen 2 that gamefreak was pushing at the time was breeding.

Lucario was a huge character for gen 4 and still has a ton of popularity today.

pokemon Trainer is the actual protagonist of the games.

Greninja was Ash’s mvp of Kalos.  And when smash 4 came out Charizard was his own character and Charizard X was a big deal in gen 6.

and Incineroar is Ash’s potential mvp as well as kukui’s mvp.  

4. You guys might mention Lycanroc dusk, but the thing is, Lycanroc dusk was a gimmick for Usumo and wasn’t a thing yet when smash 5 went into development.  You guys might also mention that he is a rock type, but uh... that’s what Isaac does. He controls Earth and Plant life...  he does what Lycanroc does and more.  

5.  Incineroar would be more interesting in my opinion.  Decidueye is an archer and we have 5 already.  We don’t have any wrestlers not prominent grappler characters.  Incineroar would essentially be  smaller Donkey Kong and Decidueye would be Pit 3: Revengence or Link 4: Plant Bugaloo.  And if Decidueye was more bow and arrow focused, then he would just get put into the “does what Megaman, Robin, Inkling, Ness, Lucas, Villager, Zelda, Palutena, or Isabelle does but better or worse.”  While Inciniroar would be put into the “does what DK, Bowser, Ike, Ganon, or Ridley does but better or worse.”

4 hours ago, Godot said:

You’d have to be crazy to be expecting a 3rd party character in today’s direct.  Realistically we should have been expecting Isaac, Incineroar, Decidueye, Skull Kid, Hades, or ug... Isabelle and she got in over the others.  We might see one of the others in an October reveal, but I wouldn’t expect a new rep from Konami, Square Enix, or Capcom until November.  Also no to Raider and Sephiroth.  Gimme Geno, Crono, Phoenix Wright, or Dante.  I also low key want Doom Guy.

also Sora, Sephiroth, and Raider are not “Sony reps.”  That would be someone like Nathan Drake, Ratchet and Clank, or Sly Cooper.

Did you just spell it "Raider" to piss me off? Or is that a genuine spelling mistake?

I know to keep my expectations in check. I knew that Raiden, Sephiroth, Dante, and Sora are not likely choices. I just thought that Raiden and Sephiroth were appropriate choices: Raiden is Solid Snake's Protege, and Sephiroth can be considered Cloud's Archenemy. Both characters are unlikely, but realistic, all things considered.

4 hours ago, Godot said:

Incineroar makes more sense for a variety of reasons.

1. When smash goes into development they decide on the roster first then make the game.  The roster was decided on shortly after releasing Bayonetta and Corrin as DLC.  So when Sakurai contacted the Pokémon company about the gen 7 rep we will enevitably get, they most likely sent him sketches of Incineroar.

2. Popularity of Decidueye and Lycanroc Dusk doesn’t matter at all.  Incineroar would have been chosen during the time we were still waiting for ORAS to come out.

3. The rep seems to be based on who is the most important Pokémon in the anime.

pikachu because duh.

jigglypuff because in early season 1, she was a reoccurring character.  She was also easy to do because she is built on Kirby assets.

Mewtwo is really popular in general and had the strokes back movie building hype for him.

Pichu was pushed because the big gimmick of gen 2 that gamefreak was pushing at the time was breeding.

Lucario was a huge character for gen 4 and still has a ton of popularity today.

pokemon Trainer is the actual protagonist of the games.

Greninja was Ash’s mvp of Kalos.  And when smash 4 came out Charizard was his own character and Charizard X was a big deal in gen 6.

and Incineroar is Ash’s potential mvp as well as kukui’s mvp.  

4. You guys might mention Lycanroc dusk, but the thing is, Lycanroc dusk was a gimmick for Usumo and wasn’t a thing yet when smash 5 went into development.  You guys might also mention that he is a rock type, but uh... that’s what Isaac does. He controls Earth and Plant life...  he does what Lycanroc does and more.  

5.  Incineroar would be more interesting in my opinion.  Decidueye is an archer and we have 5 already.  We don’t have any wrestlers not prominent grappler characters.  Incineroar would essentially be  smaller Donkey Kong and Decidueye would be Pit 3: Revengence or Link 4: Plant Bugaloo.  And if Decidueye was more bow and arrow focused, then he would just get put into the “does what Megaman, Robin, Inkling, Ness, Lucas, Villager, Zelda, Palutena, or Isabelle does but better or worse.”  While Inciniroar would be put into the “does what DK, Bowser, Ike, Ganon, or Ridley does but better or worse.”

I know Incineroar actually makes more sense, I just really hate Incineroar's design. The very prospect of it making Smash Bros makes me feel sick to my stomach. As a result, I now hate Incineroar far more than Masahiro Sakurai hates Jigglypuff. No Hype trailer is going to change that.

Isaac, I never really cared about.

And Decidueye at least looks cool.  I don't think it's fair to group him with other Archers. Pit and Link aren't just archers, they are versatile fighters: Pit uses his bow as Blades, and has reflectors and things that separate him from being "Just an Archer". Link uses a bow, but He still has an bombs, boomerangs, and a Sword and shield, so he isn't "Just an archer". Who say's Decidueye can't have things to separate him from being "Just an archer?" I think you are kinda being unfair to Decidueye.

Also, Don't we already have a Dark type Pokemon in Smash? 

I honestly would rather have one of the Fire/Fighting types. Incineroar isn't a Fire/Fighting type, but with that design, It might as well be.

I typed this from my phone, I know who raiden is.  Just now when I typed his name again it was autocorrected to raided.  And no, I’m not being unfair to Decidueye.  I know exactly what kind of moveset he would have.  I’ve played Pokken, MvC, and Injustice.  And I messed around with Decidueye, Hawkeye, Groot, Poison Ivy, Swampthing, and mained Green Arrow.  Honestly if Decidueye got in I would potentially main him.  My problem is that he would be too similar playstyle wise to either Zelda and Palutena or Robin and Megaman.  Smash 4 gave us plenty of spacing characters, we don’t need another.  If you hate Incineroar, that’s fine.  Just don’t make angry unrealistic claims due to your disappointment.  It’s going to attract negative reactions.

17 hours ago, The Swordsman said:

I think you need to see this before writing Lycanroc off, as there is evidence to suggest the Dusk form had earlier development time and Lycanroc has a more important role in the anime than Incineroar, to the point as basically serving the same role as Greninja.

I would prefer Decidueye to Lycanroc, but Lycanroc would definitely be preferable when compared to Incineroar.

Budew would make a better Smash character when compared to Incineroar. 

Although a postive of Incineroar making it in would be me using either Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Samus, Mewtwo, Greninja, or any of my various other favorite characters to beat the crap out of it. I wouldn't be opposed to using Ridley or K. Rool to do the deed either.