Did Aya feel easier in episode 17 to anyone else?

While I can't say I struggled with her every playthrough, there were a couple of times in previous episodes where she required some planning and tactics to score a win on. It's possible I was just REALLY well equipped this time(admittedly I was, had Nidoqueen, palossand, emolga,  grumpig along with Incineroar and sandslash) but even her levels seemed lower compared to what I remembered. Also while toxapex is a PITA usually, here it wasn't too bad and I felt like it was actually less of a threat than Tentacruel was before, oddly enough.  Maybe I just didn't give it enough time to take advantage of merciless but with its relatively low level you can take it out before it can do too much.

I'm not sure if her team changes benefit from her  doubles format. She was one of the easiest gyms so far.

I agree. In my case, however, Toxapex just spammed Toxic Spikes so maybe it was just because of AI derping why Aya felt so easy. Then again, Toxapex doesn't have particularly good offensive stats either and relies on Merciless to do meaningful damage, so I'd say Toxapex in this case is overall less threatening than Tentacruel.

Guest Relinquished

Nah, she had always been super easy, at least in ep16 (that i still play). Two pokemon knowing Psychic with decent speed and special attack and she is thrashed; i rarely even itemize during my match with her!