Future of Fan-Games

So I was wondering, Gen 8 may have an entirely different battle system that may not be able to be replicated through RPG maker (or it may, the lack of ambition with the last few games shows that they're happy with the way things are). Because of this, new Pokemon may not be able to be translated into the older format in terms of stats, moves, etc. So would future games just have to predict what these new mons' stats would be? Or would we just be happy with mons through gen 7? I personally think that they have plenty now and I could live with no further additions, but what do you think? If you're making a fan game that will update to gen 8 when it comes out, what would you do?

If Gen 8 is basically Skyrim/insert your dream pokemon game here I'd imagine 90% of people will understand that you can't do gen 8 pokemon if you don't have official stuff to go off of.

Also All in for the 2022 pokemon game. 

But if I had to guess I think a few people will try to do gen 8 pokemon, if they use the same battle system that's a guarentee but if it's an entirely new battle system well GG on doing stats everyone can agree on. 

I really doubt this leak stuff about a real time Pokemon RPG is honestly real. You know what happened to the last super successful franchise that did that? Well, let's just say Final Fantasy went from the king of RPGs to just average with a lot of companies slowly building up to overshadow them down the line if they aren't careful. We also a great majority of franchises do keep a basic system engine for their main games and create a few changes to make it interesting. Pokemon followed this same formula for over 25 years. I don't know why people are expecting a great change now considering the franchises's success relies on it. And as for those "real time leaks" we've been seeing those for I think it's 10 years now. Won't believe it until Nintendo makes an official announcement due to that.

Now let's be theoretical and say that this does happen. Given how recent Pokemon Games have been designed with a minimal effort on main campaign for maximum profit everywhere else (and an emphasis on visuals) this game would flop. Millions of people would not want a game like they suggested unless it was developed by an expert design team such as Monolith Soft or Platinum. Basically you cut a 10+ million audience to a 2-3 million audience because I do not see this game working well (even the shift to ATB with FF was a jarring shift for me, but a good shift once I played with it enough). It's not a good business move when you are on top and still very strong. They'd quickly have to create a hybrid system to try and win people back and get back to where they once were if not outright go back to the old system. You don't see Pokemon Rumble being talked about all that much which would be a theoretical base of this talk of making a game like that.

Now let's talk purely on Gen VIII. I don't particularly care all that much as I'm hopping off the Pokemon Train once Reborn is done and finished. It is still possible people could create a Gen VIII pack, but it grinds down to the resources and people interested we have left. There are plenty of people talented enough to create a pack but it's the effort required to do so that will be the bigger question. Sprites would need to be created, the scripts need to be edited including additional AI testing and changes, and even new animations otherwise they'd feel jarring given the other 7 gens have them already. However this does connect to Reborn...

I'm not so sure Ame would be on board with adding another Generation on top of Gen VII given how much additional time that Gen added and changes that were made due to it. Reborn is not some game that's a long ways away from being completed, but Gen VIII may or may not come out by that time. It's really, really early for a new generation game as most come out 3-4 years after the previous one is released. There's a lot going on in the background of this community that I cannot really say how Gen VIII will pan out around here. We'll just have to wait for actual details before being able to have a good answer.