Three Wise Monkeys

AZKnight

8 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Elemental Monkey?

• Yanappu [img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/83/511.png[/img] / Yanakkie [img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/a2/512.png[/img]
    • Baoppu [img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/8c/513.png[/img] / Baokkie [img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5e/514.png[/img]
    • Hiyappu [img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f1/515.png[/img] / Hiyakkie [img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/27/516.png[/img]

Just a general discussion of the three new monkeys, be it based on design, strategy, story, or a combination.

From a design point Yanakkie looks the best to me for the final evolutions. It's design just looks more crisp and put together than the other two. It doesn't it looks like Elvis. Baokkie looks like...poop with how its hair and tail are these writhing blobs. Hiyakkie looks like a female and I'm just used Pokemon being gender neutral or leaning toward male in design. Now this can go both ways since I don't agree with female Machamps *shudder*. It's got the female hair and looks like its wearing a skirt, just won't be able to take the males seriously.

With usage though it looks like the Fire and Water monkeys are the more useful ones. It is handy they all naturally learn moves that are normally only TMs (Grass Knot, Fire Blast, Boiling Water). And yeah...To be honest I thought I would have more to say but I now realize I haven't heard much about them.

I leave it to you fine folks to set me straight.

• Administrators
Unfortunately, I did end up with a male Hiyappu in my playthrough, but... That aside, I quite like it.

Compared to the other water types in that game, there's not much competition with it; At least the grass and fire monkeys have other Pokemon that are definitely better, lol. I mean, you have Jaroda or Shandera as competition; face it, you won't get picked. As for water types, I don't recall any that were particularly good...

Smogon had a bunch of Nasty Plot sets for Hiyakki, I for one had fun using this set instead of any of theirs:

Tide (Hiyakkii) (F) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobat
- Aqua Tail
- Substitute
- Claw Sharpen

as I called it in that RMT thread, the new Sub"Petaya" "Empoleon" xD

Well, there's several good water types introduced this generation. Gamageroge (the frog thing) is decent and it gets some useful abilities, Abagoora (the turtle) is one of the very few to get the amazing move Shell Break, and he can actually use the Special Attack boost in a mix set. I've seen Burungeru (Pringle face ghost) used quite a few times, working as a staller for the team. Even better at stalling is Mamanbou (bigger Luvdisc), who has monstrous defensive stats and can always support the team, and last, but arguably best, there's Kerudio (Water horse), who gets the amazing Mystery Sword to take out Blissey, making it a monster special threat if it sets up, with its great Special Attack and even better Speed.

This isn't even mentioning the +9000 Water types that were improved this generation. But, anyhow, time for my analysis of the three...

Let me start off by saying I haven't seen one of these be used yet. [i]Maybe[/i] once, but they're just so meh compared to the rest of this generations' monsters. Even still, they get a stat that's over 100 (Base 101 Speed), but that's pretty much uniform on Pokemon in this generation. Base 98 Attack and Special Attack are really not too shabby, but like I said, when you look at the Base 135 Attack of Hihidaruma and the Base 129 Special Attack of the previously mentioned Kerudio, it just isn't viable enough to compete with this generation's awesome sweeping power. There are great boosting moves there for them, and they have an OK movepool to work off of...but they're just not hitting hard enough. Porygon2 can eat all of their best attacks up for breakfast and hit hard with a Special Attack or just cripple them. Nattorei can easily take on the ones that aren't fire, and anything with Flash Fire (or even better, Heatran), eats him up. Obviously, there are options out there, as there are for almost any Pokemon (Unown), but there's just better options, plain and simple. Sure, you're the only Water type who gets Nasty Plot, or one of the very few, but who needs it when your base Special Attack and Attack are outclassed by almost every offensive Pokemon this generation, and that's not even mentioning the pretty bad defensive stats that they have.

And there are my 2¢. More than anything, I'd run a Nasty Plot set, if you really want to use these guys. If not, there's better options.

• Administrators
They get Nasty Plot? Neat.
But, I didn't use any monkey- not in-game anyway. Why? Because they're a monkey. I don't want no monkey. I want cute things, like gothy girls and chinchillas.

I picked water, because Elvis is dead and fire monkey condones drug use in some way. Actually, I just like it better. And I like water type better. Don't you love how detailed and factually based my accounts are?

I personally love Yannakkie(Spelling?) the best mainly by design. I love most any Pokémon [color=#000000;background:#000000;' onmouseover="this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onmouseout="this.style.color='#000000']and the fact that it's a monkey only adds to that love, because monkeys are the sheer incarnation of awesomeness[/color], so I think the others are pretty cool too, but Yannakkie just looks like the [b][i]bro-est bro-tier bro4lyfe bro-ey bro[/i][/b] I've ever seen. He looks like he could be the hero of his own Anime. [color=#000000;background:#000000;' onmouseover="this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onmouseout="this.style.color='#000000']He's just [b][i]that[/i][/b] bro![/color]

One thing is clear: No one likes the Fire Monkey. Can't blame you either, looks like its head and tail are made of flaming poop.

Highly doubt that any of them will see wide use in the meta game, Hiyakkii probably has the best chance at UU. I've heard that they are good for ingame since they cover your starters weakness and you can fully evolve them at your will with the stones. Now the only problem is that if I choose my first choice for a starter (Water), then I'd get stuck with Flaming Monkey why not

[quote name='AZKnight' post='6006' date='Oct 30 2010, 10:45 PM']One thing is clear: No one likes the Fire Monkey. Can't blame you either, looks like its head and tail are made of flaming poop.

Highly doubt that any of them will see wide use in the meta game, Hiyakkii probably has the best chance at UU. I've heard that they are good for ingame since they cover your starters weakness and you can fully evolve them at your will with the stones. Now the only problem is that if I choose my first choice for a starter (Water), then I'd get stuck with Flaming Monkey :)[/quote]
I'm fairly certain you can still catch the others, but I think they're rare and only in a certain place. Or at least that's what I've been told...

[quote name='Will' post='6020' date='Oct 31 2010, 07:04 PM']I'm fairly certain you can still catch the others, but I think they're rare and only in a certain place. Or at least that's what I've been told...[/quote]
I will find them and Hyper Beam them. :(