A Thief, Reborn - a gem themed/Magic Kaito based playthrough

Eloquent Liar

A THIEF, REBORN

Or, Kaito is an Idiot and Here's Why

Well, here's a concept I've tried (several times) but never really cataloged, but here I am doing it now. If you've ever heard of that one unknown, totally vague, unpopular, never heard of manga series known as Detective Conan (that was a joke, by the way), then you may have heard about its less popular, older yet shorter counterpart known as Magic Kaito, about the phantom thief known as Kaitou KID. If you have, then this will be something like an IC playthrough/fanfic through the eyes of the gentleman thief Kaitou KID- or rather, his civilian counterpart Kaito Kuroba. Of course, there's some things changed since he doesn't exactly exist in the Pokemon universe, but the basics stay the same.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about, then don't worry and just treat this like a normal themed playthrough because everything you need to know will be explained within this prologue! In fact, if you really want to, you can just treat him like a regular OC player character (but if you don't want to and instead want to look up his source material, be my guest).

Phantom Thief KID Announces Retirement!

tumblr_inline_oqyl066uIl1shod6d_540.jpg

The headline shook the entire Alola region, save for one Kaito Kuroba; for others, it was shocking news, but of course it wouldn't be nearly as shocking for the very person who had made the announcement. At the tender age of eighteen, Kaito, also known as the infamous phantom thief Kaitou KID, was finally putting away his thieving cape and learning to live as a normal person. No more gem stealing, no more police chasing after him, he was just going to be a regular person doing regular person things.

Or rather, a regular trainer, as the Pokemon in his company were far too attached to him to let him move on without them. From Alola, where KID was a household name and thievery was considered prime time entertainment, to Reborn, where hopefully he could turn over a new leaf, he was going nowhere without his squad. Frankly, though, he would have been more offended if they had preferred to stay in their PC boxes, considering all of the events they had gone through. From his jewel heists as KID to his everyday battles as normal old Kaito, each one of his Pokemon was special and held a place in his heart, and if he was going to journey, he wasn't going to do it without his most trusted companions.

Spoiler

n6-baI0AR3mDYKUVy-0JSA.png198ABys3RU_qpWXIFHjvQA.png

gZonNfyHRbqMxDWClji08A.png7IC7CB52QciITpnfytW4PA.png

ay1KvH4ZS9S-74xKOA_bRg.png2S5kpTKOSRG7-aXGUfJJiw.png

aRtb6l4fSLOP6hOCBoMIkQ.pngm-KbvnWLQz2f0r8c-ChP4Q.png

Dt7QEBo7QMujW3JHinuuUQ.pngFlS3zz6PTk6cgiMHw-xI0w.png

vL3mUANlTeapRpvCbj0r9Q.pngm6pWnGY8Tsm9mT2rqGJx7g.png

Turquoise and Diamond were easily his most well-known "utility" Pokemon- Turquoise often used Transform to cause distractions or give him alibis, while Diamond collected keys and had probably picked more locks in his lifetime than Kaito himself. While they were known as KID's Pokemon, however, Kaito never used them, and so he figured that now was as good a chance as any. Hopefully they'd see their share of battling- especially since they were itching to join the real world after years of being kept in the dark.

Amethyst had no battling experience, but she served more as the group's mascot-slash-moral support, even though he knew she wanted to change that, and he was willing to give her the chance. Although she was young, he had plans to let her join the others on the journey, in hopes that she would grow, both physically and emotionaly. On the other hand, though, Quartz was a stunning battler, slamming hard on enemies with their rough exterior and delivering fast blows once it was broken. They were Kaito's offensive shooting star, the pride of the battling team. Unfortunately, though, they were very dependent on Kaito to give orders, and rarely - if ever - took the initiative to attack otherwise.

Pearl and Opal, like Amethyst, were also greenhorns on the battling scene, but for completely opposite reasons. Pearl was just newly hatched, and yet held a fierce streak- after all, she took after her father Tourmaline, Kaito's original (and late) Togekiss, and was a competitive rough-houser through and through. While Kaito knew she wanted to fight, he also knew that he had to reign her in before she could do too much to the enemy; after all, the point was to knock out an opponent, not kill them. Opal, on the other hand, was timid and easily spooked, which didn't bode well for a child with a powerful Moonblast attack. More than once, Kaito had accidentally startled her and received a fairy-type move to the face, which meant that he had a long way to go before she was ready for battling against Pokemon that would undoubtedly intimidate her.

Unlike the others, Emerald and Aquamarine were complete unknowns; Emerald was rescued from an illegal shiny farm, and the intent had been to give her to a loving family; however, she bonded with Kaito extremely quickly, and had refused to leave his side. While he was grateful to have her in the party, she was also a handful, acting like the "mother" of the group and berating the other Pokemon when they messed up all while roosting atop Kaito's head. Meanwhile, Aquamarine was......an anomaly. They had appeared in Kaito's PC box one afternoon, despite Kaito having absolutely no memory of catching them, and releasing them seemed to be impossible as they just kept coming back. Kaito had to wonder if the Carbink was purposefully stealing his Pokeballs just to get captured by him, but the thought was unlikely; after all, the poor Pokemon seemed too dumb to do something as crafty as that.

Topaz and Peridot were known as the prankster duo of the team, and while it was entertaining, one had to wonder if they got it from their trainer who seemed to enjoy their pranks more than they themselves did. Topaz was known for digging holes and hiding other people's belongings in them, while Peridot played innocent; in fact, she was more often than not the one who stole those items to begin with. However, behind that friendship, there was also an uneasy fear. Topaz, when not cheerfully pranking people, was often melancholic or downright depressed, while Peridot was known to be merciless in torturing enemies in battle with her poison attacks, and even exploding in anger sometimes when the battle didn't go her way. While that was natural for Cubone and Mareanie, respectively, some had to wonder if maybe there was something else going on.

Last but not least, Ruby and Sapphire were the orphan twins of the group. Both of them found by Kaito fairly recently, they were nursed back to health not too long before his retirement, and so hadn't received as much experience with battling as his official team did. However, they both showed promise; when Kaito found them, they were exhausted and covered in wounds, but the Carvanha fainted nearby looked much worse for the wear. While Kaito still hadn't seen their skills up close, he knew that they would find their chance eventually- he was especially looking forward to seeing what they could do together in double battles.

For now, those twelve shown are going to be the rotation 'mon, with one change: if y'all are interested in my playthrough, I want y'all to pick one 'mon for me to kick from the Squad. Whether they suck and you want to make it easier for me, they're good and you want to make it harder for me, or for whatever reason you just want to see what the playthrough is like without that particular Pokemon on the team, now's your chance to speak up or forever hold your peace. That will also bring the rotation down from 12 to 11- and be plot relevant! That Pokemon will become unusable and, for plot purposes, completely gone from the team for the foreseeable future, unless something drastic happens. If there's no preference from y'all, I'll just RNG it.

(Also, if this thread gets enough participation, that may not be the last time I ask you guys to decide something for me- after all, I sure do love screwing myself over.)

Other than that, if you have any comments/critiques, I'd love to hear them!

Sidenotes/Credits:

• Pokemon generated with the Pokemon Reborn Sandbox Mode available in the Mod Market.
  • Icons from the official Magic Kaito manga, made by Raifuujin on Tumblr.