Maelstrom

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whether their claim has validity of any sort or not holds no weight. Imposing religious beliefs of any type upon a child is child abuse.

I'll allow the Science Guy to better explain my point:

If it weren't for my parents taking me to church with them at an early age and teaching me about Christianity, I would've committed suicide in my preteen years. Child abuse my ass.

If it weren't for my parents taking me to church with them at an early age and teaching me about Christianity, I would've committed suicide in my preteen years. Child abuse my ass.

Warping a child's perception of the world around them for the sake of preserving a Bronze Age doctrine is absurd. The cons of it far outweigh the pros in this instance. It's great that religion was able to help you out, but if you just look at the state of social affairs in this country alone, you can see the issues that stem from it.

/fedora

the issue with religion isn't necessarily the doctrine in itself, it's the institutions, and specifically, it's the need of the leaders of the religious institutions to try and exert full control over their followers. it's a matter of power and supremecy, thats how its been throughout the history of religion in this world, and thats who it is now. people tend to overlook the religion entirely, and form loyalties to the institutional leaders, which works entirely to their plans. when they see that the people are waning in their loyalty, when their hold on power is threatened, they pass new and often times ridiculous regulations and doctrines in order to further bind their followers to them than their blindfaith already does. thats who we ended up with the various conflicting dogmas of the christian faith that are, and have been for many years, helping to run this country into the ground.

the U.S. is supposed to have seperation of church and state. this is an absolute farce; just look at the incompetent officials in congress. half of them think with their bibles first and logic never. we have obviously failed in ensuring that the goverment make laws and decisions based on logical thought processes and good fore-sight. and the worst part, alot of people either don't see this or simply turn from the truth. let's face it, if religious thought is continued to intermingle with government affairs, it will ruin this country. maybe not in this generation, maybe not the next generation or even the one after that, but it will someday. and it is to ensure that my homeland does not fall to something so trivial and preventable as religious conflict, that future generations don't have to live in a post-Dogma war world, ruled by a church head who is just a glorified dictator, that i will gladly take up armaments and fight to restore order.

however, at the same time, religion shouldn't be abolished, it's been responsible for many evils throughout history, but also for a lot of good, sometimes when you look at the crap that it's caused, it's easy to overlook that fact. people should just learn to use logic when it's needed and to be tolerant of other's faith.

I hope for a day where there are no such things as borders or "Dogma wars" (wars or large scale conflict caused by disagreement in religious philosophy) a world where people of all nationalities, faith, and ethnicity can sit down with one another and solve the issues of the world, without harsh, presumptuous judgements that always serve to destroy peace and breed conflict. whether such a world can be remains to be seen.

let's leave it like this:

Religion is like a gun. It is ok to have one. it is ok to be proud of it, but please, don't always resort to it as the first means of self defense, don't whip it out in public and use it to force other people to do what you want. don't take it out and start firing at crowds of people, and please, don't try to force it down the throats of children.

Edited by Legendaries tamer

let's leave it like this:

Religion is like a gun. It is ok to have one. it is ok to be proud of it, but please, don't always resort to it as the first means of self defense, don't whip it out in public and use it to force other people to do what you want. don't take it out and start firing at crowds of people, and please, don't try to force it down the throats of children.

I prefer to think of religion like a penis, although many of the same principles apply:

Every man has one, but I get arrested for waving mine around in public you don't have to shove it down everyone else's throat- especially children.

Personally, I just don't give a good goddamn about religion. When I'm asked what I believe in if I don't believe in a "god", I simply reply: "Why do you care?" Religion is not a necessity, nor is it something to hate. Having faith in something is admirable, even if evidence points against it (I'm looking at you, Nessie fans). In my opinion, religion provides a moral code by which to live for people who, through no fault of their own, are not able to form their own code. Just like not everyone is suited to be a politician (*cough*Ron Paul*cough*), not everyone can decide adamantly what is right and what is wrong. I choose to live by my own moral code, which has three basic tenets:

1) "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

This should be self-explanatory and forms the basis of my "doctrine." If each person treats one another with respect, society becomes substantially more pleasant.

2) "We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness." -Charles Chaplin

I am huge believer in the impact of a random act of kindness. Although it may be a bit lengthy, I have a short anecdote that embodies this belief.

One day, I was riding the train home from New York City with my father. I had just gotten off of a seven hour Amtrak ride back from Richmond, where I attend college. About five minutes after we sat down in a three-seat row and I hoisted my luggage onto the overhead rack, I noticed that there was a man standing up while there were many seats open. There was nothing special about this man that caused him to warrant a seat- he looked to be in his mid-twenties and in relatively good health and did not seem overly tired. Many of these were middle seats between total strangers, but it shocked me that no one had even had the common courtesy to offer him a place to sit down after a long day at work, especially considering the fact that many of the folks on the train had likely come from similar circumstances. Doing what I believed was right, I moved my bag off the middle seat in my row and under it, then slid over to the seat next to my father- the dreaded middle seat (gasp!). I then waved to get his attention and asked him if he wanted the aisle seat. He politely declined, but the small smile that crossed his lips as he did so made the effort worth it to me. My father then turned to me and said, "[Jory], what the hell was that? You were gonna give up your aisle seat?" He seemed decidedly upset, as though what I had done had somehow affected him in any way, shape, or form. I simply said, "If it were me, I'd want him to do the same." My father shook his head and sat facing forward with a clearly miffed expression for the remainder of the train ride home.

Just because someone is a stranger does not mean he/she/xe is any less worthy of basic human kindness.

3) Care about the beliefs of others, but do not mold yourself to them.

Think for yourself. Just because someone tells you something as truth does not mean it has to be true for you. Listen to others and value their opinions. If after careful consideration and proper research you determine what you were told to be true, then by all means live by it. However, always remember to ask one simple question: "Why should this apply to anyone, let alone me?" For example, I'm sure by now you all know my stance on use of marijuana and premarital sex. I believe both are an integral part of the life experience. The Old Testament states that premarital sex is wrong. This should not apply to me because I am terrible at making decisions and I find sex to be an extremely intimate and emotional experience. In my opinion, having sex is important in getting in touch with your potential life partner, whether it be a he, she, or xe.

Does this mean I think everything in the Old Testament is a load of crap? No. Some of the ideas are extremely important, like the whole "Thou shalt not kill," thing. I do think that everything in it should be subject to close scrutiny by each person exposed to it in order to allow each person to decide for him/her/xem-self whether or not it is said individual's personal truth.

There are many more things that I attempt to live by, but I think these three best encapsulate the way I try to live my life. I am not telling anyone how to live. I am not knocking religion in general. I am promoting individuality of thought and expression, something that I believe is devalued these days.

I also find it ironic that my dad walked into my room (which is on the opposite side of the house from his) while I was typing this and yelled at me to go to sleep, even though I was not keeping him up and he only woke up to get a drink of water.

Edited by Jory

I interrupt this religious discussion to present humorous views on serious things, namely the Christie thing and Gate's memoir. Oh hey, the Jeff Skoll thing, who you've probably never heard of before either, is pretty interesting too.

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/thu-january-9-2014-jeff-skoll

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Religion is a business.

I will say this, I like Francis.

"The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart: do good and do not do evil. All of us. ‘But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.’ Yes, he can... "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!".. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

Finally someone who is tolerant of others and believes in the well being of humanity as a whole. If there were more people like him, I wouldn't be so anti-religious myself.

^A very accurate description of how I feel

What annoys me is that congress is so obsessed with making the current president look terribe and forever known as "the worst president in history", that they won't pass any bills that would benefit US citizens. They won't even pass bills that are their same ideals. What happened to putting aside the needs of the few for needs of the many? Someone really needs to tell congress that your ego doesn't outweight the needs for the american people.

There are two kinds of people, those who want to control others, and those who just want to be left alone. Republican and Democrat are the same thing except for a couple of relatively inconsequential things. When it comes down to it, each scrutinizes the other in certain roles that just switch based on who is or isn't power at the time.

The closest thing to a government for the people is the Libertarian party.

00libertarian1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The riots ended Sunday. Protests have since replaced them, and they've been met with further aggression.

10616122_775548525830220_750385922117326

10498536_775548619163544_757392636098338

10615459_775548639163542_672084008256382

tumblr_na9qfjOaNr1qcrptyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_na9qfjOaNr1qcrptyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_na9qfjOaNr1qcrptyo4_1280.jpg

CQeFLaw.png

tumblr_naa2nkmYG01smgrs7o3_500.png

tumblr_naa2nkmYG01smgrs7o1_500.png

tumblr_naa2nkmYG01smgrs7o2_1280.png

tumblr_na9tj5zbBX1smgrs7o1_1280.png

tumblr_na9tj5zbBX1smgrs7o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to1_1280.png

Ain't that some shit?

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to4_r1_1280.png

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to5_r1_500.png

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to2_500.png

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to3_1280.png

Fast forward to 9:35 there. They requested backup before detailing the fucking shooting

http://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_na3itmUVZp1tdg2rz.mp4#_=_

They went UP INTO people's houses to make arrests

https://vine.co/v/MYXPAb9XIqZ

https://vine.co/v/MYwwrHDw5pX

http://bluenationreview.com/breaking-hacktavist-group-anonymous-releases-dispatch-tapes-michael-brown-shooting/

Rough transcript of the scanner video.

But yeah, this is a totally reasonable response to "riots".

The riots ended Sunday. Protests have since replaced them, and they've been met with further aggression.

10616122_775548525830220_750385922117326

10498536_775548619163544_757392636098338

10615459_775548639163542_672084008256382

tumblr_na9qfjOaNr1qcrptyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_na9qfjOaNr1qcrptyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_na9qfjOaNr1qcrptyo4_1280.jpg

CQeFLaw.png

tumblr_naa2nkmYG01smgrs7o3_500.png

tumblr_naa2nkmYG01smgrs7o1_500.png

tumblr_naa2nkmYG01smgrs7o2_1280.png

tumblr_na9tj5zbBX1smgrs7o1_1280.png

tumblr_na9tj5zbBX1smgrs7o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to1_1280.png

Ain't that some shit?

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to4_r1_1280.png

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to5_r1_500.png

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to2_500.png

tumblr_na9yky9gbm1qgwi7to3_1280.png

Fast forward to 9:35 there. They requested backup before detailing the fucking shooting

http://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_na3itmUVZp1tdg2rz.mp4#_=_

They went UP INTO people's houses to make arrests

https://vine.co/v/MYXPAb9XIqZ

https://vine.co/v/MYwwrHDw5pX

http://bluenationreview.com/breaking-hacktavist-group-anonymous-releases-dispatch-tapes-michael-brown-shooting/

Rough transcript of the scanner video.

But yeah, this is a totally reasonable response to "riots".

I was actually gonna post all that stuff too, but you did it for me. Bless. But I do have an article on it.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/10-insane-numbers-ferguson-killing

Edited by Gyaradoskiller