Little-Known Strategies

Amethyst

• Administrators
Underused tactics, and new strategies may perhaps be the strongest asset to a trainer in the constantly evolving meta-game. However, due to the accessibility of Smogon, any old chap can Google a Pokémon and instantly have the top-tried-and-true tactics for their team. No imagination necessary; in fact, please check it at the door.

I don't like this.

So, are there any strategies you know to work that have flown under-the-radar? An example would be [url="http://www.pokemonreborn.com/index.php?showtopic=30"]ParAttraConFlincHax[/url] as I detail in that link. Without such a wordy explanation, hopefully, are there any other ideas you all have?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could claim to know some. Unfortunately, even though I've sank more hours in to these pokemon games than just about every other game, I am something of a newb to the whole competitive battling thing. I never had anybody to play against when playing Blue and Gold, so I just got the strongest pokemon I could find. I did catch all of the original 150...

I skipped over the third generation completely.

And not long after D/P came out, I had to go move out, get all married, and have a kid, so that seriously cut my interest in the games. Thankfully my lovely wife loves the games, so that's why I have heartgold, and renewed interest in the games.

I admit that I love reading sites like smogon and serebii, even if you hate their life. I don't recommend anyone copy them 100%, but they at least give you a good idea of some things that the pokemon are capable of. Just think of them as decent reference, and you don't have to hate them anymore.

I don't have any special strategies right now, but hopefully I'll get there. Maybe I'll be less newbish when Black and White come out.

• Administrators
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Smogon and certainly not Serebii. I use both often myself. I'm just rather confident that there's still a number of undiscovered and better alternatives out there.

As for being new to Competitive battling, I'm hoping to get some sort of an introduction up soon to transition people from casual gaming to competitive level battling.
Though honestly the best way to do that is just to fight people...

One of my favorites that I found through YouTube rather than Smogon is to use Baton Pass to pass some Attack boosts to an Azumarill that knows Aqua Jet. It's Huge Power ability will effectively double those boosts, allowing it to murder anything that doesn't resist Water.

• 1 month later...
I saw this strategy used on a Magmar for a NU battle and I'm pretty sure it would work on Magmortar. What's more, it could probably work on a large array of Pokemon and probably is, but I like seeing it on Magmar/Magmortar since they don't get as much love as Electivire.

-Substitute
-Belly Drum
-Thunderpunch
-Fire Punch
---Salac Berry

You switch in on something that fears a Fire attack or has nothing to attack back with, set up a Substitute as they switch/don't break the Sub, Belly Drum while they attempt to break the Sub (and probably will), Salac Berry activates and boosts Speed, then sweep with Thunder and Fire Punch for coverage.

Again, this is probably used on other Pokemon, but I like seeing it on something that can definitely use it.

One strategy that I haven't seen abused very often is the ability of Yawn to effectively cripple opposing threats and force switches consistently in battle.
My Defensive Swampert which has consistently been a pivotal part in my Gym victories utilizes the following set:

Swampert
@ Leftovers Careful Nature
252 HP/40DEF/216SPD
Yawn
Curse
Earthquake
Waterfall

Basically I switch into a resisted or neutral attack, Yawn to cripple or force to switch. Then if possible Curse on the switch and proceed to create a hard hitting tank.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='mashew' post='1815' date='Jul 27 2010, 07:29 PM']these are very interesting stratiegies lol... i like the yawn one and the azumarill one also[/quote]
the yawn one is a good and the azumarill umm,Its basicly almost Well Known then little known >> in my book.

What's the T Tank Family strategy? O_o
My favortie "little-known" set is a CM Bronzong.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Modest, Levitate
EVs: 52 HP, 252 Defense, 204 Sp.Att
Flash Cannon
Psychic
Calm Mind
Hypnosis

52 Hp Evs to reach a good lefties number because I'm crazy like that, max defense because your Sp.Def will get boosted by CM, and the rest put into Sp. Att. Hypnosis can sleep something and give you time to set up, and Flash Cannon and Psychic for STAB can deal massive damage even when resisted after a few CMs.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='NicotheGerman' post='1183' date='Jul 17 2010, 12:18 AM']One strategy that I haven't seen abused very often is the ability of Yawn to effectively cripple opposing threats and force switches consistently in battle.
My Defensive Swampert which has consistently been a pivotal part in my Gym victories utilizes the following set:

Swampert
@ Leftovers Careful Nature
252 HP/40DEF/216SPD
Yawn
Curse
Earthquake
Waterfall

Basically I switch into a resisted or neutral attack, Yawn to cripple or force to switch. Then if possible Curse on the switch and proceed to create a hard hitting tank.[/quote]
Until they switch into a pokemon with grass knot :/

As far as strategies go, the only little-known or used ones I know are sunny-day grass teams, gravity, and trick room teams but those are all rather gimmicky I suppose which would explain why they're not used.

Something I use that I've never seen before:

SHARPEDO ANTI-LEAD

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash

EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP ADAMANT NATURE

~Aqua Jet
~Crunch
~Earthquake
~Zen Headbutt

Basically, you can counter almost any lead using the appropriate moves. Use Aqua Jet ONLY as a finishing move, as Earthquake is stronger than STAB Aqua Jet. The only exception to this is against Aerodactyl, as Aqua Jet always outspeeds and 2HKOs it. If you really want to, you can try running Waterfall over Aqua Jet and using a Jolly Nature, but I like knowing that Sharpedo's using that incredible base 120 Attack to the fullest. If the opponent tries to set up Stealth Rock, you can usually take them out without taking any damage. The only lead you have to watch out for is Machamp, and that's only because DynamicPunch confuses you. If you get lucky, you'll end up taking Machamp down. If not, you've still got him within the range of being easily revenge killed. One of my favorite reasons to use this Sharpedo is because Rough Skin can sometimes break the opponent's Sash, which is always nice.

Oh, and AZ, your set looks basically like a BellyZard being run on another Pokemon, except for Earthquake being replaced with ThunderPunch.

I didn't want to reveal this set at first, but most everyone has seen it already. I can proudly say that it has only lost to Critical Hits and Ghosts.

Stockbelly Snorlax

~ Stockpile
~ Belly Drum
~ Rest
~ Body Slam
Item Attached: Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpAtk)

You can either start trying to Stockpile right away to make Snorlax more durable, or you can go for Body Slam. This move gets STAB, standard Base Power, and most importantly it can cause paralysis. Starting with Body Slam you hope to paralyze to help you set up. Once you get 3 Stockpiles up, you have +3 Def/SpDef on an extremely bulky Pokemon. Rest off the damage and when you awake either use Body Slam to try and get paralysis and damage, or go for Belly Drum if you think you can survive to Rest again. With +3 Defense (625), +3 Special Defense (640), +6 Attack (1032), and STAB Body Slam, Snorlax is ready to tear apart a team. You can put the 8 EVs in Defense into Attack if you want, but I prefer the extra defense to extra power. Thick Fat is better than Immunity because even if you get Toxic, you can just Rest it off. Use Snorlax as a late game sweeper so you can eliminate anything that can cripple it. This include Ghosts and the moves Trick, Taunt, and Leech Seed. This set was showed to me by one of my favorite battlers, TheFlamingSpade.

I love it. Unique, and it looks like it'll murder anything that's not a ghost. I'm using it on the team I'm building now! :lol:

Another thing I like to use that's rarely seen (however, it is on Smogon) is...

BATON PASS SCIZOR

Scizor @ Occa Berry/Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP/ 40 Def/ 216 SpD IMPISH NATURE

~Swords Dance
~Agility
~Baton Pass
~Bullet Punch

To someone that's never seen it before, they'll expect Banded Scizor, or if you use Swords Dance, Swords Dance Scizor and swich to a counter. Scizor's probably going to be able to take a Fire-type attack if he has an Occa Berry. Lefties are for the sake of added lifespan and maybe multiple passes. Bullet Punch is to try and fake your opponent out, and also so that you aren't Taunt Bait. Using the set is pretty easy. I tend to Agility first so that Scizor is able to outspeed more threats, and then Swords Dance. Who you're passing to is entirely of preference, seeing as any physical sweeper enjoys +2 Speed and +2 Attack. As of now, I'm passing to Guts Flame Orb Ursaring. The only thing to be really afraid of is Scarftran, so have a counter ready to eliminate him so that Baton Passing is almost a simple task.

My Favorite Skarm Overall,the Epic Surprise SD Skarm.

Nature:Adament
Ev:116 HP,136 Att,32 def,224 spdef
Item:Leftovers/Life orb
Trait:Keeneye

5th Gen: Broken Armor/Sturdy
5th Gen spread: 252 Att/252 speed(My 4th Gen spread only works well with Sturdy)

Moveset:
Drill Peck(recommended)/BraveBird
Sword Dance
X-scissor
Roost.

X-scissor cause it covers more types then Nightslash.Drill peck is recommended because Brave bird recoil could short skarm's sweep and roost is just to recover damage cause by Recoil or from another pokemon.It has 224 evs in Spdef to Endure non super effective Sp attack.I would partner Skam up with something that can Induce Sleep Or Paralyze pokes,Mostly a Volt absorb Lanturn just because it can endure Fire moves and Nom nom nom on Electric attack.I would also use a pokemon with heal bell incase someone becomes Smart/lucky with will-o-wisp or Sleep powder on skarm,It also can Wreak havoc in trick room with or without Brave Nature.

Enough Said,Try it or dont try it. Peace!!!

(using 4th Gen ev spread)
Attacks Stats after a Dance:
+2=253 to 506
+4=506 to 759
+6=759 to 1012

My Guts Ursaring that I <3 using (have never seen it before, usually see Belly Drum or the like):

URSARING @ Flame Orb/Toxic Orb

4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed ADAMANT NATURE

Ability: Guts (obviously)

~Facade
~Fire Punch
~Earthquake/Close Combat
~Crunch

Pass an agility and maybe a Swords Dance to it (See Scizor), and if it has enough HP, there's next to nothing that can stop it. With well over 500 attack with NO BOOSTS, all it needs is Agility support (or maybe Trick Room?) to pull off a sweep. Facade OHKO's most Dragonites with no Stealth Rock support. After a Swords Dance, Fire Punch OHKOs the defensive behemoth Skarmory. Probably because it'll get over 1000 attack after one boost. ^_^

Here's a variation of the common suicide Azelf lead that I've come to create:

BOLTBEAM PUNCH LEAD AZELF

Azelf @ Focus Sash

252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP JOLLY NATURE

~Stealth Rock
~Taunt
~ThunderPunch
~Ice Punch

Believe it or not, Azelf's Attack stat is the same as his Special Attack stat. Basically, you're running the same thing as a Lead Azelf but now have perfect coverage against Pokemon. How Azelf manages to punch with those stubby arms I'll never know.

yet another Fun Moveset...Am I also glad thats it my best bud(Mashew)Birthday?well,that dependss if he share some cake with meh.lol kidding Mashew.back to the moveset for Hitmontop.

FatalityTop
Evs;252 hp 136 def 120 spdef

Moves:
Fake Out
TripleKick
Sucker Punch
Bulk up

Hitmontop Clearly not much of a Closecombat user unless its Scarfed.This Set uses Hitmontops Offensive Moves And The move Not much People Use but should use instead of spaming mach punch like an noob.Triple kick Gets STAB and Technician Boost So It'll Do alil Dent in HP right off the back but not much.Bulk up is clearly the Key to all this Madness tho.All it Needs is +2 from Bulk up to pretty much Take out almost every NU with triplekick,+4 can handle Some OUs and UUs But at +5 or +6 Its ready to Break anything .Fake out is so hitmontop can Come out and kill a pokemon with low hp.sucker punch to take out ghost and psyhic pokemon or if you haven't gotten a Bulk up in it'll do a good amount to them anyway except Rotom Forms.

This is just Another Set that make people confused XD Have fun with it.

Whirl~

From an RMT I did:

Cradily @ Leftovers ~ Careful
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Curse
- Rock Slide
- Seed Bomb / Earthquake
- Recover / Rest

One of the most annoying Pokemon in existence with a really annoying set. Curse Cradily is a complete pain to take down once it gets set up, especially with Sandstorm adding to its already great Sp. Def. Rock Slide is standard because flinch is handy, and it's also more helpful STAB than Seed Bomb. If you really must have Grass coverage you can run Seed Bomb as the second attacking move; otherwise go with Earthquake, which will let you hit anything except Torterra, Flygon, and Levitate Bronzong (and it's not like Seed Bomb would help against those guys). Recover is preferred over Rest due to more reliable recovery, but Rest can be used if you're afraid of Toxic. Put EVs into HP and Def; Cradily's Sp.Def is good enough that you can just run Careful and it'll be fine. Ideally this will be in Sandstorm anyway, so lower SpD doesn't really matter.

Is inevitably done in by a critical hit.

From my latest team:

Rotom-H @ Leftovers - Bold
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP/152 Spe/108 SpA
-Overheat
-Will-o-Wisp
-Thunderbolt
-Pain Split

This is kind of a balanced Rotom-H, I've enjoyed taking teams apart with it. The idea is simple: Come in on something physical that the team is having trouble with, WoW it, and proceed to Overheat/Thunderbolt to oblivion. Furthermore, with Pain Split, Rotom has staying power, which is very nice. Ah...for the EVs, the only one that really needs explaining is the Spe, which allows Rotom to outspeed Jolly T-tar and WoW it. Very fun set to use on a balanced team.

Rotom-F seems to fit that option better, seeing as it get can a Boltbeam combo, even if Blizzard's accuracy is very shaky. Jolly Tyranitar is tough against any Rotom too, seeing as T-Tar gets a SpD boost through his own ability, and even if he is burned, Crunch is still doing a lot of damage with T-Tar's base Attack, and super-effective STAB. :mellow:

WHY couldn't Rotom-F get Ice Beam? That would make it so much more usable!