RP: The World of Remnant: Grimm Apocalypse [Interest check/sign-up]

Wolfox

The World of Remnant is an old one. We know the tales of team RWBY for as far as we are able. But what if I told you there was a threat to the world before Any of them had even taken a breath? What if I told you there was a team of Huntsmen and Huntresses who were able to stop the "Grimm Apocalypse"? You would be surprised at how this story goes...

Welcome one and all! Thank you for opening this thread and I hope you all have a nice day. This will be my first (of hopefully more) attempts at creating and successfully running an RP here on the forums. And what will this RP be? Well, it will be a story in the World of Remnant. But from before any of the characters that we know and love have been born. Original characters, new scenario's, pretty much everything is new.

Story:

A hooded man walks into a Town. He looks beat up and when a someone asks what's wrong all he says is "Grimm...". The people in the town offered to aid him back to health, but the hooded man refuses, all he needs is a couple of people to aid him in the battle against the Grimm. The locals send a distress call, telling his story, to other towns and cities across the world. Now he waits in the tavern for the people to answer his call...

Playstyle: while I wanted to do a Fire Emblem style RP first, I remembered that for that I need to be able to design maps, which I'm not. So we're gonna do a bit of a DnD Style RP (because that won't really require me to draw many maps). Combat will be turn-based with the Speed stat determining the turn order. so for example, if a Grimm has the highest speed stat that Grimm gets the first move.

Guidelines: Character creation

Most rules can be found on the sheet posted down below, but for the things that aren't there, here are the rules:

Semblances: Semblances will be one of 3 categories: Passive, Support and Offensive. Support and Offensive semblances will have a cooldown timer when in combat. Passives semblances will not but will have a downside as well (like Qrow's Misfortune, it doesn't discriminate). This will be for balancing reasons.

Weapon: here is where we get into the fun part, you can freely create any weapon you wish. it will scale with your stats. what this means is that it doesn;t really have a base dagame. deals damage purely based on your ranged or melee stat. so you won't have much need to ever try to replace it in a town. You can combine any firearm with any melee weapon freely.

Please also send a Backstory and Characteristics sheet to me. Not only will that enable me to work with the character better but I personally love reading them.

Here's the character sheet:

Spoiler
Name: just give the name of your character.
Race: Are you a human or are you a Fawness? Note that Fawnesses come with up and downsides. They can have a little perk like for example better hearing or a better nose. But not all people in a town would be willing to converse with a Fawness.
Romantic Options: If you wish your character and the character of another player or an "NPC" in a town have romantic options, let me know. Gender does NOT determine the romantic options by the way. Nothing here is out of the window. Note that I won't write the conversations between characters, that's all up to you (because it's YOUR character, not mine ;) )
Semblance: Now we're getting into the fun stuff: Naming and creating your semblance. I suggest you're creative about it while keeping it from being overpowered (more news about semblances in the guidelines part).
Weapon: Again, be creative. Do you want a giant mallet that's also a pirate ship cannon? it can be done. just make sure you follow the guidelines.
Stats: At level one (where we begin) each stat will begin at 8, yet you'll be allowed to add 4 extra points to start and 2 points each level. for level one the cap of a stat is 10, from that point the restrictions are what you wanna put the most points into. Aim is an oddball in this rule, as the base Aim is 80. Note that Aim doesn't set the accuracy of shots or strikes. The cap for Aim is 95. Aura starts on 15.
Aura: Determines your HP.
Melee: Determines the damage you do with a melee attack from your weapon.
Ranged: Determines the damage you do with a ranged attack from your weapon.
Aim: Determines accuracy of Melee and Ranged attacks. Aim increases or decreases your accuracy based on the target's speed.
Speed: Determines chances of double attacking and dodging and the order in combat.

Defence: Determines how much damage you take.

And here's an example sheet:

Spoiler
Name: Damon (The Hooded Man)
Race: Human
Romantic Options: No
Semblance: Negative Effect: Damon is immune to direct effects from Semblances, both positive and negative.
Weapon: "Eclipse": A greatsword with a barrel splitting the blade up to fire Dust Bullets one at the time.
Stats:
Aura: 16
Melee: 10
Ranged: 8
Aim: 80
Speed: 9

Defence: 8

Offensive Semblance Example:

Spoiler

Deals 3 times weapon damage to target. (3turn cool down)

Support Semblance Example:

Spoiler

Doubles target speed for 3 turns. (4 turn cooldown)

If you have any tips on how I could improve in running RP's, feel free to tell me in a PM. I would love to actually become good at running these some day. But that's all I'll say about the matter.

The Sign Ups end next Sunday Morning (European time). I don't know exactly how many characters will be chosen (if there's even interest) but I'll send the chosen ones a PM once we're ready to start.

Hope you have a good day/evening and I hope I'll at least see some of you back in the RP :)

Edited by Wolfox

You probably want to give more details on the system - right now there's nothing that tells us how the RP works. Numbers, or an explanation of the combat system would be nice. Is combat turn-based or free-form? Is distance a relevant factor? How is damage calculated? Just by looking at your OP, I have a ton of questions that are unanswered:

- You said that Aim doesn't set your hit rates for Strikes or Shots, but then you say it affects your hitrate? In what way?

- You said that players can feel free to be creative with their weapons, though "there are limitations" - what limitations? Specifics would be appreciated.

- Support and Offensive Semblances will have a cooldown in combat. Okay, based on what? Could I have a nuclear blast as an Offensive Semblance, with a 1 turn cooldown?

- You give no examples of Semblances. Your sample sheet has no Semblance - how do we know what's allowed and what's discouraged? I would suggest giving 2-3 examples of a Semblance for each Semblance type. This also ties in to the issue of not having numbers.

Let's say I have a Semblance that gives me a speed boost, a la Ruby's. How would that be realised? A percentage bonus? A flat bonus? If it's a percentage bonus, how much is too much? Could I feasibly have like 2000% Speed? Or is it something more abstract? If so, what is an example of a stat-boosting Semblance?

- You mentioned that the weapon will scale with stats, but how will it scale? What stats will it scale off?

I guess I should have explained better. I'll do my best to make it as clear as possible

Edit: I (hopefully) fixed the intro post enough that the questions raised can be answered. Also, the Semblance in the example sheet is Negative Effect, I simply misplaced that one on the sheet a little...

Edited by Wolfox