Finally got around to watching the first chapter of RWBY, Volume 5! Opinion below. Please do not read it if you haven't watched the episode!

Spoiler

Much like a good number of episodes from V4, this chapter is focused on RNJR + Qrow, the other main characters being rather briefly shown, when they appear at all (sorry guys, no Cinder, no Salem). For this reason, I'll start with the shorter parts dedicated to Weiss, Blake and Yang, before moving on to our main course.

Weiss is, somehow, still on her way to Haven, in spite of benefitting from aerial transportation. This nicely debunks a theory I've heard, claiming that V4 happened out of chronological order and that Weiss arrived to Haven before all the others. Anyhow, she shared her only scene with the pilot, a very secondary character, and it didn't show us a lot besides her willingness to help others at her own risk (a trait that we already knew of, but was evidently reinforced since the fall of Beacon). I was expecting a bit more; a reunion with Ruby perhaps, since Blake and Yang have their own businesses to take care of whereas Weiss has pretty much nothing else to do.

Blake, Sun, Ghira and Kali. Such a lovely little family <3

... but, again, not that much to comment on. The White Fang is evil, Ilia is conflicted, not really anything new under the Sun (pun totally intended). I must say I like Kali a lot. Just the right amount of polite and harmless sass! We can reasonably expect the Belladonna family to attempt exposing the White Fang, only for it to backfire somehow. Ilia being slowly built as a conflicted character, she will probably side with Blake at some point.

Yang is... a regular badass. Her outfit is stunning (she does look like a proper Huntress now), her attitude is perfect (more calm and collected than before, but still burning with determination) and the Goldilocks reference was juuust right :P

I enjoyed her scene a lot. The trembling hand added just a little bit of depth to it, showing the crack still existing in Yang's armor. The way the thug she punched bounced was a bit too cartoonish, but that's nitpicking.

And finally... Ruby and her companions. The scenes involving them had by far the highest amount of funny shenanigans, giving the episode an overall light-hearted mood. We got to actually meet Prof Lionheart, a somewhat goofy, regular Granddad with obviously more than a few tricks up his sleeve. Although, again, and I think that's the main issue with this episode, not so much was brought up. We now know what is up with the Spring Maiden, and we know the heroes are going up against Raven, which was already hinted at in V4. We also know Lionheart to be under Watts' thumb, but again, that's nothing new (interestingly however, he seems to be unwillingly cooperating with him). These scenes weren't unpleasant, but felt somewhat empty. Quite literally given the complete lack of animated background characters in Haven.

Oscar/Ozpin had 2 scenes including one that was directly taken from V4's post credits, which is hard to forgive. Come on RT, that was lazy and we're used to better by now. At least the second one had a drunken Qrow, which was by far the funniest thing in the episode.

All in all, the chapter was nice to watch, but left me hungry for more. Granted, it was only the first episode. But still, I expected something more ambitious after such a long wait. Please deliver with chapter 2, RT. I trust you guys to do it.

On a side note, V5's intro is good but not great. Definitely less impressive, both musically and visually, than V3's and V4's. That said, it would have been hard to top these off anyway. Maybe it'll grow on me as the Volume progresses.

Edited by Alistair

Little rant incoming.

I haven't watched V5, chapter 2 yet. Why? Because I'm not a FIRST member (in other words I'm not giving money to Rooster Teeth in order to watch their shows in advance).

A year ago, non-FIRST people were able to watch the show one day after paying members. Now, it's been pushed to 3 days.

I know most people are going to say it's no big deal, but the attempt at making more people register as premium members is so blatant and obvious, that it becomes pathetic. Yes, RT, we get it. You're a company. You want to make $$$. But you basically just flipped a giant finger at 95% of your fanbase and told them: "You want to enjoy the same quality of service as before? Time to pay, scrubs!"

That's not how you treat people if you want to stay on their good side.

Congratulations for selling out, RT. Don't hold your breath, I'm still not paying to see your shows.

Little rant off. I really hope this chapter is going to be good; hopefully I can watch it tonight.

Edited by Alistair
typos

2 minutes ago, Alistair said:

Little rant incoming.

I haven't watched V5, chapter 2 yet. Why? Because I'm not a FIRST member (in other words I'm not giving money to Rooster Teeth in order to watch their shows in advance).

A year ago, non-FIRST people were able to watch the show one day after paying members. Now, it's been pushed to 3 days.

I know most people are going to say it's no big deal, but the attempt to make more people register as premium members is so blatant and obvious, that it becomes pathetic. Yes, RT, we get it. You're a company. You want to make $$$. But you basically just flipped a giant finger to 95% of your fanbase and told them: "You want to enjoy the same quality of service as before? Time to pay, scrubs!"

That's not how you treat people if you want to stay on their good side.

Congratulations for selling out, RT. Don't hold your breath, I'm still not paying to see your shows.

Little rant off. I really hope this chapter is going to be good; hopefully I can watch it tonight.

if you want, I have a link that can show you each episode on Saturday. like ep 2 came out last Saturday there

5 hours ago, Wolfox said:

if you want, I have a link that can show you each episode on Saturday. like ep 2 came out last Saturday there

That's a really nice offer. For chapter 2, it doesn't really matter because I should be able to watch it later today, but it's undoubtedly going to be helpful for the rest of the volume. If you were kind enough to PM me this link, I'd really appreciate it :)

EDIT: Watched chapter 2. I must say, it was worth the wait. It was good. Really good. Damn RT, earlier today I was rather pissed at you guys, but I'm not really anymore. This episode was much more ambitious and nicer to watch than the previous one. I hope the following ones will keep up with that.

Edited by Alistair