Immunities

AZKnight

There are several Types and Abilities that make the Pokemon immune to other types. These are:

Electric ~ Ground / Volt Absorb / Motor Drive
Ground ~ Flying / Levitate
Fighting ~ Ghost
Fire ~ Flash Fire
Grass ~ Herbivore
Normal ~ Ghost
Ghost ~ Normal
Poison ~ Steel
Psychic ~ Dark
Water ~ Water Absorb / Dry Skin

Around half of these are natural Type immunities, like Steel against Poison. The other half are from abilities, like the new Herbivore ability against Grass attacks. What makes the abilities special is that they also provide an added bonus in addition to taking no damage. Water Absorb regains health, Motor Drive increases Speed, etc. With 10 Types having zero effect due to immunities, that is more than half of all of the types*. So with that there are two questions of discussion:

#1: Should there be more Immunities added with abilities?
#2: What sort of abilities would these be / who would get them / what bonus if any would they give in addition to immunity?

(Yeah, last one was a three part question but so what.)

I'd be all for more abilities being added to give more immunities, and feel free to tell me if there were more added beside Herbivore. The Ground immunities are always great because of the standardization of the attack Earthquake. As an attack that has great strength, coverage, and can be learned by the majority of Pokemon, its a good thing that there are Pokemon that can switch into it without fear. Same goes for most of the other types having standard attacks associated with them (Thunderbolt, Close Combat, Surf, etc.). If there was a something immune to every Type of attack between types and abilities, that would be great. It just adds that element of strategy with switching and trying to predict switches. First one that comes to mind would be an immunity to Steel.

Smelt - Steel type attacks that land against this Pokemon deal recoil damage to their user. Pokemon with Smelt takes no damage.

Recoil damage is the first that comes to mind, though I don't know how it would be calculated if damage isn't actually given. Just some form of damage inflicted to the Pokemon that used the Steel move, like it was melted. It would be given to Fire or fire related Pokemon that would have the capability to smelt Steel. What other ideas can you come up with?

*Nagging feeling that somehow I forgot an immunity...

• Administrators
Rain Dish is a water immunity now? I had no idea.

What are we missing? Dragon, Dark (Justice Heart should have been), Steel, Bug (i get whatever ability is bug immunity), Ice (Ice Body -should- be,) Rock and Flying. With the exception of those two, I think the others are probably difficult to come up with an immunity for- Steel aside apparently as well. o.o ...not like anyone uses Steel type to attack...

Nope, Rain Dish was my mistake. It only recovers HP from the Rain, not from Water attacks.

Bullet Punch is probably the most common Steel attack out there, but there are still others. Meteor Mash is used by Metagross, Jirachi and Clefable, Gryo Ball from slower Pokemon, Iron Head for flinching, and other attacks are sprinkled here and there in both the meta and story mode of the games. Steel is out there people!

Lightningrod is now pretty much Motor Drive, only boosting Special Attack imstead of Speed
I really think that they should stop making immunities..... They should be rare things only found against some types, but it seems like they're eventully going to make some ability for them all. A lot of them probably won't even be used as often. *disppears*