There Are 3 Types of People, Which One Are You?

Tartar

You've got a cup of tea, and a piece of cake!  

46 members have voted

1. 1. You've got a cup of tea, and a piece of cake!

• You eat the cake first
    • You drink the tea first
    • You alternate between the two.

19 minutes ago, Ironbound said:

I don't eat or enjoy chocolate unless it's at least 70% cocoa. The darker and bitterer, the better. In fact, South Indian chocolatiers has recently started experimenting in locally produced fine chocolates on coffee plantations, and I've already become an inveterate snob. Fine dark chocolates, with hints of spices, coffee, or even sea salt.

Honestly speaking, I don't perceive Chocolate to be "bitter" unless it approaches 90%, at which point gets kinda unenjoyable to eat. 86% is already cutting a bit too close for my taste. But 70% and even 81% still seems quite sweet. 

Now it's gotten me curious. What is your opinion on +90% cocoa chocolate? I've tried 90% once, and a 99% cocoa chocolate. Both were incredibly bitter, and not something I enjoyed a tasting, but perhaps your tastes are different?

I usually take 75-85%, the new custom ones that have become popular over here in southern plantations, as I had said. if you take it closer to 90% and above, it does get very bitter, naturally. I don't quite think that above 90% is good. It becomes a pure slab of cocoa, then, suitable for use as an ingredient in cooking or dishes, but not really chocolate for direct consumption. Chocolate does involve other ingredients, after all.

• 2 weeks later...