Fairy Run, with a Twist~

Orasha

azumarill.gifmawile.gifgardevoir.gifsylveon.gifaromatisse.gifcastform.gifjumpluff.gifwhimsicott.gifwigglytuff.gif

Manannan          Futakuchi   Aonyobo       Kasha        Hannya Hitodama  Keseran     Ittan-momen    Kechibi

Sorry for the delay everyone! Now its time to take on Serra! I'm rolling with the same team for her, only Manannan, Futakuchi, and Aonyobo are level 48 now. I'm leading with Kasha this time; the strategy going in was to set up Misty Terrain and eventually send out Hitodama to sweep with Weather Ball. 

VS SERRA

Spoiler

Kasha set up Misty Terrain and used Wish, tanking what Cryogonal used pretty well (I had no idea Sylveon was that good of a tank! This is why I love challenge runs, they make you appreciate Pokemon you've never used before :D), and I switched to Futakuchi, who OHKOed Cryogonal with Iron Head59491c5f5f04d_vsserra1.png.8f139be09eba4bc3ab03d72486f3abf0.png

I kept Futakuchi in for Vanilluxe, who tanks a Frost Breath (barely) to bring it to low HP with Iron Head. I predict Serra will use a potion and use Iron Head again; she does, and Futakuchi scores a critical, KOing the ice cream cone. 59491c650ea3e_vsserra2.png.e10db9055d0c1ca69fcfccd35cd26623.png

Next out is Jynx, so I keep Mawile in. She tanks a hit from Jynx, now at critical HP, and OHKOs Jynx! (Unfortunately I don't have a picture of that). Its Glaceon next, so I decide to keep Futakuchi in for momentum and just suicide her. Mawile uses Sucker Punch, but Glaceon spends the first turn using Mirror Coat, which failed. The terrain returns to normal and Futakuchi hits Glaceon with Sucker Punch before being KOed by Frost Breath. 

59491c67d0443_vsserra4.png.ea644af73e2d80c30cdf666e8a58fbd0.png

I send out Hannya, who tanks a Frost Breath to set up Misty Terrain again. Aromatisse hits Glaceon with a field-boosted Moonblast, but its not enough, and she's KOed by Mirror Coat. 

59491c68926dd_vsserra5.png.ee5583d3e17b5125e84125ed841b5875.png

I send out Aonyobo. Serra uses a potion, and Gardevoir hits with Moonblast. Next turn, She outspeeds Glaceon to KO him with Moonblast. 

59491c694b906_vsserra6.png.dbb96154049e5070705af874907c5f4e.png

Aurorus is out next, so I switch to Manannan, who tanks some hits and OHKOs the dino with Superpower. 

59491c6a551ec_vsserra7.png.8eab1680bce308ca9577ddab80b9bd6a.png

Its only Froslass now, so I send out Hitodama. He gets confused, but manages to get off Sunny Day, ending the hail and proving that there's no field effect caused by chaining hail and sun right now. Froslass hits with Shadow Ball, but its softened by the Mist, while Hitodama hurts himself in confusion. Froslass gets a critical on her next Shadow Ball, but Hitodama perseveres through his confusion to OHKO her with Weather Ball! 

59491c6b2f606_vsserra8.png.2b701f9d7222bb674936a38c80fc139b.png

That was a long battle, but not a particularly difficult one. Replacing her extremely favorable field with one favorable to me allowed me to bypass much of what makes Serra so difficult. Honestly, Castform was a little superfluous in this battle and probably won't see much use in the future, but he's had his uses and I'm happy he turned out to be as effective as he did. He can retire in glory. 

After defeating Serra, the PokeMart teleports off the roof convenient and El takes Bennett away to be his apprentice. Now we can get the medicine and help Anna, but first we're going to level everyone up to level 48, and take Keseran up to 49 so he learns U-turn. 

So eventually we give the medicine to her, and she pours it on her doll. Children. They never appreciate what you do for them. And yet, it makes her better, so hey, there's that. Anna's real excited and wants us to take on Noel immediately. That would certainly be nice, but we can't have nice things. Also, Shelly is the best: 

59492c8fee08f_ShellyDialogue.png.5c8774d596eeea82b3e12413977bba6b.png

Before the battle can start, Saphira interrupts, and we have to fight to save the kids again. Since we fought Sirius at Yureyu, we're taking Sigmund on here, which, in my opinion, is way easier. Sigmund's team is an absolute pain in Doubles, especially when your partner's AI is questionable at best and the field is catered towards electric types. Here, we don't have to put up with as much BS. 

VS SIGMUND

Spoiler

My team is the same, though I switched out Hitodama and Futakuchi for Keseran and Ittan-momen. I lead with Hannya, who go hit with a Signal Beam from Jolteon and sets up Misty Terrain. Hannya tanks through all of what Jolteon has to offer, eventually KOing him with Moonblast spam after Sigmund uses up his healing items. 

5949226d2a2d5_vssigmund1.png.4eaf96abb59fbf7ff9d592ce2e9ea202.png

Sigmund brings out Electivire, and I keep Aromatisse out. Electivire hits with a Thunder Punch, bringing her to low HP, and she responds with a Moonblast, taking about half of Electivire's health. Next turn I just let him KO Aromatisse to keep momentum.

5949232fe34aa_vssigmund2.png.1f4981568ad85409ac23d74f6990c000.png

The terrain returns to normal and I send out Keseran, who outspeeds the electric ape and puts him to sleep, and then seeds him. I have Keseran U-turn to Ittan-momen, and a good thing to, since Electivire wakes up and brings Ittan-momen to low HP with Ice Punch. Ittan sets up a substitute next turn and simply stalls him out. 

5949227f34baf_vssigmund3.png.b82603c6a58446e5f0ce9c1f34e155ad.png

He brings out Lanturn, so I keep Ittan-momen in. Energy Ball brings the fish to critical HP, and he tanks a Bubble Beam. Next turn, he KOs with energy ball. 

594922841a2db_vssigmund4.png.4f39674117524b7ea97f3ba36be13132.png

Next is Eelektross, so I switch to Kasha. He outspeeds the eel and sets up Misty Terrain, which keeps him from being paralyzed by Thunder Wave. Swift gets a critical, taking about half Eelektross' HP, and Discharge doesn't do much damage. I start the Trump Card spam, and Eelektross hits pretty hard with Crush Claw, lowering Kasha's defense. However, he's KOed by Trump Card next turn (unfortunately, I didn't get a screen shot of that). I keep Kasha in for Luxray, and the cat misses with Thunder Fang, allowing Kasha to hit with Trump Card for pretty good damage. Unfortunately, he doesn't miss next turn, and Sylveon is KOed. 

5949233c919af_vssigmund6.png.4fd0f48ad97d1e4a3def1d6c586224e8.png

Forgetting that Mist doesn't allow status, I bring out Keseran, who has to U-turn to Gardevoir, basically wasting a turn. Aonyobo KOs Luxray though, which is good. 

5949228977233_vssigmund7.png.97c78319418535991d1737ec33b02c90.png

He sends out Rotom, and I keep Aonyobo in. She tanks two Discharges to KO Rotom with two Moonblasts. 

594923269438c_vssigmund8.png.232915718ab7f95f80d6c1d1e9cb7063.png

Sigmund is defeated. 

I choose correctly and allow Saphira to get abducted, though watching her Hyper Beam Sigmund through a wall is pretty cool. Laura blames us for the hole though, which isn't as cool. 

For the rescue, I switch Hannya out for Futakuchi: Meteors love their Poison types, after all. After going through the weird teleporting tile puzzle and getting some plot, we get sent to the depths with Laura. After wandering around for a bit, we find and fight a Big 'Ole Steelix. 

I don't need Wigglytuff for this one; unlike Solaris, Steelix is susceptible to my stall cheese. I just have Keseran put it to sleep, seed it, and then switch to Ittan-momen to stall with Substitutes. Even with the Sitrus Berry, Ittan stalls it out without running out of HP or PP for Substitutes. I didn't get a screenshot of the victory, but honestly, with cheese like this, do I really even need one? 

VS PULSE ABRA

Spoiler

I thought I would be able to use the same stall cheese against Abra, but its ability is Wonder Guard, which forced me to reset and change my team. I decided to switch out Keseran and Ittan-momen for Kechibi and Hitodama. This battle was also cheesy, but in a Perish Song kinda way. Basically, I sent out Pokemon to get KOed until Abra used Hyper Beam, allowing Kechibi to come out and use Perish Song unopposed. A few Turns later, and Sunny Day Castform is who "got" the KO. 

594928f6350bb_vsabra.png.24b3cebf1813284065b0170475659498.png

After defeating Abra, Lin arrives. She has the double whammy of an improbable haircolor AND improbable hair color. Maybe its just the sprites or the angle on them, but it reminds me of a swan, or Seymour's hair from FFX. Lin takes out Saphira and we skedaddle out of the Meteor Base. 

Back at Tanzan Cove, some more plot happens. Namely, everyone realizes what Solaris implied earlier: The different gems in the pieces of jewelry are keys. We learn some more about Charlotte, and Anna says we should fight Noel for really realz now. But that's going to have to wait for next time...

NEXT TIME: I'm not bothering with any alliteration, Noel was real hard and I'm still bitter about it.

Edited by Orasha

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, Orasha said:

Its only Froslass now, so I send out Hitodama. He gets confused, but manages to get off Sunny Day, ending the hail and proving that there's no field effect caused by chaining hail and sun right now. Froslass hits with Shadow Ball, but its softened by the Mist, while Hitodama hurts himself in confusion. Froslass gets a critical on her next Shadow Ball, but Hitodama perseveres through his confusion to OHKO her with Weather Ball! 

59491c6b2f606_vsserra8.png.2b701f9d7222bb674936a38c80fc139b.png

I can't NOT express how much I admire you for making such an underused (and underrated) pokemon such as Castform work!

I really love it when pokemon that some people characterize with terms like "trashmon", "roadkill", "useless" etc. prove that, under the correct strategy, they can wreck ANY opponent!

Congrats and keep going :) 

You're doing an excellent work!

22 hours ago, Jess said:

I can't NOT express how much I admire you for making such an underused (and underrated) pokemon such as Castform work!

I really love it when pokemon that some people characterize with terms like "trashmon", "roadkill", "useless" etc. prove that, under the correct strategy, they can wreck ANY opponent!

Congrats and keep going :) 

You're doing an excellent work!

Aw thanks! This run has definitely made me appreciate Castform more :D He has a lot of versatility that's glossed over due to poor stats. 

3 minutes ago, Orasha said:

Aw thanks! This run has definitely made me appreciate Castform more :D He has a lot of versatility that's glossed over due to poor stats. 

I think so too! One question I'd like to make is, what does every pokemon's nickname mean? I've been enjoying the japanese-deriving names, but sadly I have no clue what they mean... :( 

2 minutes ago, Jess said:

I think so too! One question I'd like to make is, what does every pokemon's nickname mean? I've been enjoying the japanese-deriving names, but sadly I have no clue what they mean... :( 

When I first started the run (before I knew I wanted to put it on the forums), I thought I was going to name everyone after stuff from Irish or Celtic folklore, which is why I named the character Morrigan. If I knew I was going to write it up here at the time I'd probably have gone with shorter and more memeable names... The only Pokemon who actually ended up with an Irish-based name so far is Manannan (named after Manannan mac Lir, a sea god), though, and I went with Japanese folklore for most of the names instead. Some of them fit better than others. 

Mawile, is named after Futakuchi-Onna, a woman who has a second mouth on the back of her head and feeds it with prehensile hair. 

Gardevoir is named after Aonyobo, a named ghost of the imperial palace in a supernatural bestiary. 

Sylveon is Kasha, a cat-like spirit that carries away corpses of those who did evil in their lives. 

Aromatisse is Hannya, named after one of the most famous masks in Noh theater, which represents women who have become demons due to jealousy. 

Castform is Hitodama, a fireball-like ghost that represents a soul that's left the body. 

Jumpluff is Keseran, from a creature called Keseran Paseran, which resembles a floating ball of fluff. 

Whimsicott's name, Ittan-momen, is that of a possessed roll of cotton that flies around at night trying to smother people. 

Wigglytuff is called Kechibi, after a fireball ghost that has a human face. 

Roselia is Kodama, which is a traditional tree spirit. 

Cherrim was named Jinmenju, after a tree with human-faced fruits. 

Swirlix was called Keukegen, after a small dog-like creature covered in fur. 

Since I started out with a theme, I'm continuing to use it just so new names don't feel out of place, though later Pokemon I capture are being given Irish names to change things up a bit. My next run will probably have more standard nicknames :D 

42 minutes ago, Orasha said:

When I first started the run (before I knew I wanted to put it on the forums), I thought I was going to name everyone after stuff from Irish or Celtic folklore, which is why I named the character Morrigan. If I knew I was going to write it up here at the time I'd probably have gone with shorter and more memeable names... The only Pokemon who actually ended up with an Irish-based name so far is Manannan (named after Manannan mac Lir, a sea god), though, and I went with Japanese folklore for most of the names instead. Some of them fit better than others. 

Mawile, is named after Futakuchi-Onna, a woman who has a second mouth on the back of her head and feeds it with prehensile hair. 

Gardevoir is named after Aonyobo, a named ghost of the imperial palace in a supernatural bestiary. 

Sylveon is Kasha, a cat-like spirit that carries away corpses of those who did evil in their lives. 

Aromatisse is Hannya, named after one of the most famous masks in Noh theater, which represents women who have become demons due to jealousy. 

Castform is Hitodama, a fireball-like ghost that represents a soul that's left the body. 

Jumpluff is Keseran, from a creature called Keseran Paseran, which resembles a floating ball of fluff. 

Whimsicott's name, Ittan-momen, is that of a possessed roll of cotton that flies around at night trying to smother people. 

Wigglytuff is called Kechibi, after a fireball ghost that has a human face. 

Roselia is Kodama, which is a traditional tree spirit. 

Cherrim was named Jinmenju, after a tree with human-faced fruits. 

Swirlix was called Keukegen, after a small dog-like creature covered in fur. 

Since I started out with a theme, I'm continuing to use it just so new names don't feel out of place, though later Pokemon I capture are being given Irish names to change things up a bit. My next run will probably have more standard nicknames :D 

This is incredible!

In fact, it is so inspiring, that I decided to name all my pokemon in my Poison mono run that I just started after Greek mythological creatures/deities!

(I'm Greek, so makes sense, doesn't it? :D)

Noel. Noel. Noel. Noel. Noel. Oh boy. Noel was by far the hardest gym battle I've had. I conquered Corey easily enough, and while Aya took some more work, she wasn't too difficult once I changed my strategy around. But Noel... I must have battled him almost nonstop for an hour. And, for the most part, I was playing in sped-up mode with the battle animations off. I even stopped writing an account of each battle (since I kept on losing and having to delete what I wrote), and just wrote out my general strategy, which worked extremely well and was consistently able to KO his Pokemon... up until Cinccino that is. 

My team for Noel when it was getting consitently beaten: 

Spoiler

594a7fa01dfc8_mawilebeforenoel.png.f8a34d7f340af7595308a18c6ae3efcb.png

594a7f8fb2974_azumarillbeforenoel.png.5bed353c81a63895a753e0e4e1fd1d7b.png

594a7f93c2cf8_gardevoirbeforenoel.png.91a84808ece26a24df34328cb516a352.png

594a7f9a6391d_jumpluffbeforenoel.png.5aa035f596de57d0766d319172c58049.png

594a7faf2e51d_sylveonbeforenoel.png.6790dd99f9008da5c64a8915541ab305.png

594a7fe9f0351_whimsicottbeforenoel.png.024f79898fad100e8e7ef6fd93756f1f.png

Cinccino is fast. That little bugger could outspeed everyone on my team, barring Jumpluff and Prankster moves from Whimsicott. And with Skill Link and good coverage, it could KO basically everyone in one or two hits. Time and time again I watched all of my Pokemon fall to what is generally considered a poor Pokemon, even in Mono-normal teams. I'm sure you've heard about the definition of insanity, and I was insane for a while, simply ramming my head against Cinccino like a brick wall, hoping that maybe this time it would miss, or I'd get a critical, or that Manannan, my main source of fighting moves, wouldn't get outsped and KOed by Bullet Seed. I was really at the end of my rope.

But then I remembered.... Jumpluff learns Stun Spore! I hadn't kept it, but it was a move it had in the past! I rushed to the Move Relearner and replaced Acrobatics with Stun Spore. I went back to face Noel once again... I didn't expect to win at all, so I didn't take any screenshots of the battle until the end. I also only have a record of what my strategy was, and not what I actually did (until the end, anyway), so this write up is going to be a little weird. 

I would always lead with Mawile against Wigglytuff, who would tank a Dazzling Gleam or allow Stealth Rocks to be set up (If Wigglytuff used Reflect I would just reset. It wasn't worth it), to OHKO it with Iron Head. Noel would bring out Porygon-Z, I would bring out Jumpluff, Jumpluff would Sleep Seed and then U-turn out to Sylveon. Sylveon would use Trump Card until the duck fainted; how many it would take was variable, but I actually preferred the times when it used up his potions, but whatever. The final time, Tri-Attack paralyzed Sylveon before Porygon-Z was taken out, which will become important later. After Porygon falls he brings out Swellow, which I would counter with Whimsicott. Whimsicott could get off 5 or 6 substitutes thanks to the field, which allowed burn to chip away at Swellow. When Whimsicott could no longer substitute, I would seed the bird and get KOed, and bring out Mawile. Mawile used Sucker Punch and would tank whatever attack Swellow used.

Sometimes burn and leech seed damage would KO Swellow here, other times, Noel would use a potion. In case of a Potion, I hit with Iron Head or Play Rough, then that again if he's going to heal again. If he was out of potions, Sucker Punch, or it got KOed by burn and leech seed. Regardless, Noel would send out Girafarig next, who I respond to with Gardevoir. Depending on Noel's potion situation, Gardevoir either 2 or 3 shot it. Then came Cincinno. Normally, this would end the battle, but this time I was prepared. I sent out Jumpluff, who outsped it and paralyzed it. Sure, Keseran was KOed by Rock Throw, but its sacrifice would not be in vain. 

I sent out Sylveon, intending to hit hard with Trump Card, but Sylveon's paralysis from Tri-Attack allowed Cinccino to outspeed Kasha and KO him. At this point, I thought it was all over, but I decided to at least play it out. I sent out Gardevoir, who outsped the demon thanks to its paralysis and OHKOed it with Moonblast! Cinccino was down! The plan worked after all! Now all I needed to do was take out Clefable. I kept Gardevoir in, who hit with two Psychics before I decided its health was low enough, and had it use Healing Wish, bringing Futakuchi back to full health. Futakuchi was able to tank Clefable's Hidden Power Ground thanks to the Type Berry, and KOed it with Iron Head. 

594a838723c6b_finallybeatnoel.png.6cef13f8090ee513a0e58cdb36e9949f.png

Oh. My. Arceus. That was... difficult. If anything, that battle uncovered a massive weakness in my team, which is their generally low speed. Cinccino was able to exploit that time and time and time again, and it was only after some speed control with Stun Spore that I was able to defeat it. Another "problem" with Noel is that his team isn't dependent on field hax for him to do well, so setting up Misty Terrain doesn't derail his strategy. Misty terrain actually hinders my strategy here, since you can't inflict Status under Mist. 

After defeating Noel, the mountain explodes. Great. Inside, we find Saphira, who says she "terminated" the Meteor base. I wonder how many people she terminated... Anyways, she gives us the Ruby Ring and Amethyst Pendant, which totally won't be important plot items. Nope. No way. 

Before I head to Route 1, I decide to do a lot of side stuff. It's totally a good time to do it, and not me procrastinating so I don't have to deal with the tediousness of the Route 1 puzzle. First I head to Apophyll Academy to learn everyone's Hidden Powers. None of them are useful at all. Gardevoir's is Steel, which could be useful, but I don't really have the moveslot for it. Kasha's is Dragon, which is as hilarious as it is useless (though I guess it can hit almost everything Neutrally, which is good, but still). I was really hoping someone would have Ground or Fire, but oh well. 

I also decide to put off breeding Granbull and Mankey, largely because I felt it more tedious than the route 1 puzzle I'm trying so hard to avoid. But I suppose progress is calling to us so... We face off against Fern. No screenshots of my team this time, oops. 

VS FERN

Spoiler

Fern actually managed to sweep my whole team with Ferrothorn the first time I fought him. Welp. The second time, Manannan KOs Fraxure easily with Play Rough.

594a881cdfa09_vsfern1.png.c5f981706bbe4375cad573367f1ef8ab.png

He sends out Krookodile, and Manannan tanks an Earthquake to KO with Aqua Tail. 

594a881daa826_vsfern2.png.6f5f1a81e6d05cf44d5c043dcbeaba1f.png

He sends out Roserade, and since it doesn't know any Poison moves, I send out Aonyobo. She tanks an Extrasensory and OHKOs with Psychic.

594a881e8605c_vsfern3.png.67e0c3e9ac54780a24f5bad9dbc73d4b.png

Now its Ferrothorn again. I end up sacrificing Keseran and Futakuchi to whittle down its HP (I didn't write down how...welp). Then I send out Manannan, who scores the KO with Superpower.

594a881f3d39f_vsfern4.png.ade9455b51a993c545f2034e048db4c6.png

Next up is Serperior, so I send out Kasha, who sets up Misty Terrain, tanks a TON of Giga Drains, and eventually KOs the snake with Moonblast.

594a88200ea52_vsfern5.png.e6b67e6ef7c21228e20a511660c1c232.png

Scyther's up last, so I send out Ittan-momen, who seeds it, and Encores him into using slash, before switching to Manannan, who KOs him with Play Rough and Leech Seed damage. 

594a8820b7965_vsfern6.png.69db90d69af99f4197ff2090b2b341c5.png

After I win, Fern gets upset and goes to look for Noel. I leave the Shard there as a landmark so I know where to get back to Tanzan Mountain. 

Ah, Route 1. I'm not a huge fan. Its just so tedious. Sure, I can skip getting Heracross, Pinsir, and Joltik, but I still want those berries and that sweet, sweet sticker. 

So instead of worrying about the puzzle, I procrastinate even further and grab a Flabebe instead. Luckily for me, the first one I catch has IVs I can live with (low attack and meh speed, but good everything else so oh well). Flower in hand, I teleport to Obsidia to train it up. Florges will be replacing Aromatisse: it learns the same moves, but has better stats and is an excellent special wall. Florges is also why I didn't use my Shiny Stone on Roselia. 

And to procrastinate even more, I use trade through playthroughs to get a Snubbull that knows Close Combat, since that's an Egg Move it can come with, bypassing the need to spend time breeding. I also used shared box shenanigans to get myself a female Marill. It's high time I breeded on with Aqua Jet. It was nighttime, so I won't be able to catch a Bidoof just yet (the Buizel I got from the Gang quests is female, that's some terrible luck), but that's okay since I had to spend time grinding Florges and Snubbull up 34 levels each. At least Snubbull gets boosted experience... 

Granbull isn't too shabby as a physical attacker, and has good coverage moves, so it'll end up in the rotation. Aromatisse is getting retired and replaced with Florges, who outclasses it in just about every way. Theoretically, since I have access to berry soil and Sitrus berries, I could run Belly Drum Azumarill or Belly Drum Slurpuff, but I'm not really sure if either set is worth the effort. I like having lots of coverage and priority on Azumarill anyway. 

Eventually I take on Route 1, at least until morning comes, I run back to the Opal Ward to snag myself a Bidoof, but all of the ones I encounter in a 20 minute period were female. RNGesus really doesn't want me to have an Azumarill with Aqua Jet, apparently. A bit later, while exploring the ice cave off of Route 1, I encounter a male Floatzel, who I caught. I used it to breed Aqua Jet to Marill, finally, and spent the time running around to hatch the egg searching for items in Reborn City with my new Itemfinder. Then its the Herculean task of training Azumarill to level 55... oh boy. But that's all for now!

NEXT TIME: Conflict on the Chess Board! Will Poison take its revenge? We might also take on El and/or Radomus. Stay Tuned! 

32 minutes ago, Jess said:

This is incredible!

In fact, it is so inspiring, that I decided to name all my pokemon in my Poison mono run that I just started after Greek mythological creatures/deities!

(I'm Greek, so makes sense, doesn't it? :D)

Ooh, I support! Poison should be fun, it has so many options early on. Good luck! 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:44 AM, Orasha said:

Before heading into Jasper, I payed a visit to the girl who had been snubbed by her Snubbull (ba dum tiss). Granbull is a pretty good physical attacker, though its generally overshadowed by Azumarill. He does have some interesting moves though, like the ability to learn Close Combat through breeding, the elemental fangs, and Outrage. 

Jasper Ward was completely overran. Given that they were in shambles, I decided to help the police. That's probably the only time I'll ever say that. Team Meteor was there as well, but weren't really a match for me. Fast leveling rates + boosted experience meant I could basically steamroller everything they had. 

I was not looking forward to the next PULSE fight. Taka's Chatot is a massive pain, and I had a hard enough time with the last Tangrowth, and it didn't have other Pokemon to support it. Of course, this time I actually had a fire type, but still, I was nervous, okay? 

My team (very little had changed, so its spoilered)

Hide contents

azumarill.gif

Manannan

lv.26

Huge Power

Sea Incense

-Tackle

-Aqua Tail

-Rollout

-Play Rough

castform.gif

Hitodama

lv.26

Forecast

-Weather Ball

-Sunny Day

-Hail

-Rain Dance

roselia.gif

Kodama

lv.26

Natural Cure

Big Root

-Giga Drain

-Growth

-Leech Seed

-Magical Leaf

jigglypuff.gif

Kechibi

lv.25

Competitive

-Disarming Voice

-Sweet Kiss

-Round

-Misty Terrain 

pachirisu.gif

Raiju

Lv.21

Volt Absorb

-Electro Ball

-Nuzzle

-Quick Attack

-Swift

swirlix.gif

Keukegen

lv.25

Unburden

-Fairy Wind

-Cotton Spore

-Endeavor

-Round

My plan was to get rid of Lileep with Manannan (using Play Rough), then bring out Raiju to deal with Chatot, and then take out Tangrowth with Hitodama or with Keukegen's Endeavors. I decided that if I had to soft reset too many times, I would switch Kodama out for my Cherrim, since Cherrim could set up Sunny Day for Castform. 

I had been all worked up for nothing, because Taka went down as planned on the second try. I probably could have beaten him on the first try, but I had absolutely atrocious RNG, both Azumarill and Pachirisu hurt themselves in confusion like 3 times in a row, it was ridiculous. 

After defeating Taka, I ran into a rather impetuous girl with pink hair and a Salamence. Yeah, its just soooo terrible that I managed to defeat the bad guys first, cry me a river. I finished up my business in Jasper, rescuing a girl for a department store sticking and saving some policemen. Then it was time to head into the Beryl Ward. If it was anything like Jasper, I thought, it would be easier than I originally anticipated. 

After entering the Rhodocrine Jungle, I was contractually obligated to fall for a pretty obvious trap (though, in fairness, I actually did fall for it on my first playthrough). It looked like I was going to be stuck in the cage and need rescuing myself, but Fern came along... Goody. It was time for the infamous "begging" section. And you know what? I actually did it. I actually begged Fern. I mean, having a positive relationship value with Fern probably won't matter in later episodes, but you never know...

After losing my dignity (and, I suspect, the respect of those reading), Fern lets me out. I gotta be honest, I didn't expect him to keep his word. 

Freed, I continued to explore the forest. There was a wrecked library with a helpful healer inside, as well as a Growlithe and a dead police officer. I continued my exploration, finding items, more police officers, and some switches to flip. After defeating some more grunts, it was time to take on Taka and ZEL yet again. I wasn't exactly looking forward to this one either. 

I forgot to write down their moves at this point, but I was rolling with 

azumarill.gif Manannan

castform.gif              Hitodama

granbull.gif    Inugami

cherrim.gif           Jinmenju

pachirisu.gif         Raiju

roselia.gif     Kodama

I started out with Jinmenju and Hitodama. Jinmenju used Sunny Day, followed by Hitodama's Weather Ball (boosted both by Jinmenju's ability Flower Gift and the sunlight) to OHKO Glaceon. The rest of the battle was fairly difficult, with Castform putting in serious work. However, I had to restart once, due to horrible RNG with confusion. Sorry I don't have a more detailed summary of that fight, I didn't end up write it down apparently :/ 

After the battle, one of the Meteors is caught and apprehended by the police I saved! And... it's someone who I've never met. But he's apparently the pink-haired girl's father, and none to pleased. Well then. 

Next up: Corey.

I know I've been saying it a lot this installment, but I really wasn't looking forward to this battle. Even with the increased amount of Pokemon that I had to choose from, most of them were weak to poison, and the ones that weren't didn't have a proper way to deal with Poison types. I had a couple of options to change the field around, and my strategy was going to revolve around that. 

My team for Corey (Spoilered since I forgot to write down their movesets again :/ That won't happen later, I promise): 

Hide contents

pachirisu.gif        Raiju

azumarill.gifManannan

castform.gif             Hitodama

granbull.gif   Inugami

swirlix.gif           Keukegen

roselia.gif     Kodama

I led with Raiju, who took Skrelp out easy enough. Corey sent out Croagunk, so I responded with Manannan. Play Rough missed, and Manannan was brought to low yellow HP by Venoshock. Play Rough scored a critical the next round, though, OHKOing Croagunk. Corey brought out Grimer, and I responded with Hitodama and set up Sunny Day and then Rain Dance to change the field to a Rainbow one. Then I hit Grimer with a rainbow-charged Weather Ball, OHKOing it. Corey sent in Skuntank, so I switched to Keukegen. My plan was to get off an aromatherapy and then hit him with a field-boosted Round. He got off Aromatherapy, but two Acid Sprays took him down. I sent in Inugami, but he got 2HKOed by Acid Spray as well. Rain Dance ended, and so did the Rainbow Field, but at least the field was just Corrosive now and not Corrosive mist.

I sent out Roselia to stall out Skuntank, which could have been real bad, but instead of using Incinerate he used Pursuit and Acid sprays... Leech Seed + Mega Drain managed to get him down to red HP. Corey used a potion, but Roselia brough Skuntank down to red HP, and he used Incinerate, KOing Roselia. I sent in Raiju, who finished the skunk off with Electro Ball. Corey sent out Nidorina, who KOed Raiju, so I sent in Manannan. Manannan was damaged heavily by the Corrosive Field, so I used a potion. Then I used Rollout, 3HKOing her. Next up was Corey's Crobat...unless he managed to OHKO me, or if Manannan missed, I was going to do excellent damage with Rollout. Instead of attacking, the idiot used Nasty Plot, and to top it off, Rollout got a critical! Crobat was OHKOed!

That battle was a wild ride, KOing 4 of my Pokemon and teaching me several new things (for instance, that Rainbow Field only lasts as long as Rain Dance, and that it returns the field to a Corrosive State, not a Corrosive Mist state). Despite some poor plays on my part, like sacrificing Inugami needlessly to Skuntank, I think it went pretty well. So far, even though he's generally considered a poor Pokemon, Castform is really pulling his weight in this playthrough. He has great utility, being able to respond to numerous different types and being able to set up the Rainbow Field, as well as good synergy with Grass Types. 

Corey told me to meet him on the Beryl Bridge, where he set his Pokemon free, monologued for a bit, and... well, you know what happens. Afterwards, Fern sets him up as a terrible person (I would argue he's worse than Bennett. Like... even though Bennett is terrible, I can at least feel bad for him and sympathize, to a point. With Fern, there are no redeeming qualities). After we both hear an explosion, Fern runs off. Since Corey didn't give me a badge or a TM or... anything, really, it looks like I have nowhere else to go... 

Next Time: Rumble in the Jungle (field)! Entomology versus Mythology! 

Just goes to show how fields are never against the player. (Even if they are, if that makes any sense)

Edited by Sceptilespy

17 hours ago, Sceptilespy said:

Just goes to show how fields are never against the player. (Even if they are, if that makes any sense)

True. Reborn is all about making fields work for you, or just straight up making a new field :D 

5 hours ago, Yagami said:

If your gardevoir had calm mind,you could have just used calm mind 2 or 3 times and sweep all of Noel's pokemons.But still a very interesting and enjoyable run.

You're probably right. Cinccino would have outsped me though... the main reason I wasn't using Calm Mind was because I didn't want to use Misty Terrain turns to set up, and using her set up move never even occurred to me :o 

So at this point I've changed my team around quite a bit. 

Spoiler

594bcecc47290_azumarillbeforecain.png.73f479012fb0254035d3ab7f86ba292d.png

594bced061950_florgesbeforecain.png.8b0b2ae9dd389dc0093d7828df2cf766.png

594bced342e6a_gardevoirbeforecain.png.bb315d9d4c6ca18963e259aa2fd54735.png

594bced61d4b6_granbullbeforecain.png.83139baa1f1c7c340fc11d47485a8376.png

594bceda609b8_jumpluffbeforecain.png.432dca1520bc0e9fdde79472fc58bc49.png

594bcee29eb0a_whimsicottbeforecain.png.a85f31e6da6f189c2f9fb75053736039.png

Since I now have an Azumarill with Aqua Jet, Manannan has been retired. In his place is Bean Sidhe (which I know looks a lot like "bean seed" and that Azumarill is kinda like a lil bean, but its pronounced more like "banshee" since Irish is weird). Aromatisse has also entered retirement, being replaced by Brigid the Florges, who runs the exact same set. Macha, who has replaced Inugami, is here for her great attack stat and even better coverage moves. You'll also notice that Keseran finally doesn't have an item.

Cain has abandoned his monotype challenge. How well will it serve him? 

VS CAIN

Spoiler

Cain leads with Muk, and I counter lead with Aonyobo. She OHKOs him with Psychic. 

594bcff7aa26a_vscain1.png.45916f2fdf970b1b40d0db700cbde80e.png

Next up is Nidoking, so I bright out Bean Sidhe, who tanks an Earthquake to KO with Aqua Tail.

594bcff8decf8_vscain2.png.c6d6f5c7c33abdaf546b353a864d12dc.png

Cain sends out Galvantula, so I switch in Macha. Fire Fangs get Cain to use his milk (I'm sure there's a dirty joke in there somewhere), and then KOed it. 

594bcffa3c0db_vscain3.png.0c8232b3335bc4bec53d96a1192b6920.png

Next up is Gengar. I didn't want it to outspeed Gardevoir, so I sent out Keseran. He did the standard Sleep Seed U-turn combo to Ittan-momen, who whittled him down with substitutes, and finally got the KO with Energy Ball. 

594bcffaf0b3e_vscain4.png.164b93ae1364a9752af8c19fef1530f9.png

He brought out Absol, so I sent out Bean Sidhe again, who just barely survived a Slash to OHKO with Play Rough. That one was close. 

594bcffbca7cc_vscain5.png.eab3cd37d73bf1df8db4156543a38bf7.png

Next up was Samurott. I sent out Ittan-momen, confident I could outspeed him and OHKO with Energy Ball. I was wrong, and Samurott KOed Whimsicott with Aqua Tail.

594bcffc870a8_vscain6.png.a181b2c67b7a21feeff223e33728b43f.png

Finally I brought out Keseran, who outsped the otter to get the revenge kill with Acrobatics.

594bcffd40a8b_vscain7.png.94205a23b26781146f05260da5a2b12e.png

Cain really wasn't hard at all. He should have stuck with Poison types; it would have given me a harder time, at least. 

A bunch of plot happens, and we have to face off against a Ditto that managed to copy Arceus in a holy place. Amazing. I slapped a Quick Claw on Kechibi and was fully prepared to soft reset until it allowed him to go first. To my surprise and elation, Dittoceus missed with Focus Blast the first turn on my first try, allowing Perish Song to get off, and ensuring its demise. No screenshot for this one; do you really need one for as cheesy a battle as that? :P 

Today's installment was rather short in terms of battles and actual strategies, but next time... well let's just say I'm excited to tell you about it. 

NEXT TIME: Calamity on the Chessboard! Can I twist the dimensions to my advantage? Or will Metagross Meteor Mash my chances? Stay turned! 

@Orasha Great job once again! Cain got a few aces up his sleeve to face a Psychic Gym and get destroyed by a Pixie monotyper! I can imagine the dialog...

"HAHA, I NOW HAVE AN ABSOL TO COVER MY WEAKNESS!!!"

"Errrr, I've only got fairies..."

Spoiler

7113748085_5469caaa70.jpg

22 hours ago, Jess said:

@Orasha Great job once again! Cain got a few aces up his sleeve to face a Psychic Gym and get destroyed by a Pixie monotyper! I can imagine the dialog...

"HAHA, I NOW HAVE AN ABSOL TO COVER MY WEAKNESS!!!"

"Errrr, I've only got fairies..."

Reveal hidden contents

7113748085_5469caaa70.jpg

:D Yeah, I can't imagine he was having a fun time. There's a line later where he talks about us surpassing him and its like... naw dude, just use Poison and Steel Types and you could probably manage :D 

19 hours ago, rayyan said:

Your team looks spectacular. I hope Florges remains in your team cuz it's my favourite fairy type pokemon despite poor defense and I am sure radomus will be easy. Good luck

Florges will probably remain in rotation. I don't have a better cleric/special wall (though Sylveon is a nice backup). She's pretty great. 

Ah, Radomus. This is probably one of my favorite arcs of Reborn. The interactions between Cain and Radomus are priceless, the cult of Arceus is weird but fascinating, and there's so much moral grey area surrounding the whole thing. It's great. 

Usually when you face Radomus, the recommendation is to keep Reuniclus and Slowking from setting up Trick Room. Heck, its even what Ame tells you to do! And with a regular team, she's probably right... but our team is far from regular. In fact, after comparing base speeds, I'm pretty sure most of my Pokemon are slower than his, so I actually want him to set up Trick Room. This is especially crucial with Metagross, who would normally outspeed my main Steel and Psychic checks, Granbull and Mawile. In this situation, I also don't want to change fields (at least until after I've defeated Metagross), since I need Trick Room to last 8 turns. Let's do this. 

VS RADOMUS PRIME

VypvIE.png

Spoiler

I lead with Keseran and Brigid. Keseran puts Reuniclus to sleep (I want Reuniclus to use Trick Room after Metagross comes out so I don't waste turns of it), and Brigid hits Gallade pretty hard with Moonblast. In return, Gallade uses Close Combat on Keseran. Radomus uses a potion on Gallade, but its useless since Keseran OHKOs him with Acrobatics. 

amfyHl.png

Brigid sets up Misty Terrain, and Reuniclus wakes up and uses Trick Room. Radomus sends out Metagross, what fun. Reuniclus brings Keseran to low HP with Psychic, and Metagross KOs it with Ice Punch. 

cKnXQL.png

Brigid uses Wish (I anticipate being KOed by Metagross any time now), and I bring out Futakuchi, who hits Reuniclus with Sucker Punch. The little fetus misses with Focus Blast (thank Arceus and his son, RNGesus), and Metagross OHKOs Brigid with Meteor Mash. 

jXDD8j.png

I bring out Macha as a response, since she has Fire Fang. Reuniclus hits Macha with Psychic, but it doesn't KO, and Futakuchi and Macha gang up on Metagross, hitting it with Crunch and Fire Fang. Unfortunately, its not enough damage to KO, and Metagross OHKOs Macha with Meteor Mash. 

UIeD7J.png

I send out Bean Sidhe. In another stroke of luck, Radomus doesn't use a potion on Metagross. Meanwhile, Reuniclus hits Bean Sidhe with Psychic, and Futakuchi KOs Metagross with Crunch. 

jMCXme.png

Meanwhile, Bean Sidhe hits Reuniclus with Aqua Tail pretty hard, the dimensions return to normal, Wish comes true, taking Azumarill up to full HP, and Radomus sends out Malamar. I switch Futakuchi out for Aonyobo since Malamar almost certainly knows Superpower, and Radomus uses a potion on Reuniclus. Bean Sidhe brings the squid to low HP with Play Rough, and Malamr hits Aonyobo with Superpower, which deals very little damage. Bean Sidhe hits Malamar with Aqua Jet, but it survives with a magic pixel, and Aonyobo hits Reuniclus with a field-boosted Moonblast, which also ends up lowering Reuniclus' special attack. Malamar hits Bean Sidhe with Psycho Cut, and Reuniclus sets up Trick Room again (works for me). Then Bean Sidhe uses Aqua Jet again, finally KOing Malamar. 

28e6f8.png

Reuniclus uses Calm Mind to make up for the Moonblast debuff, but its no use, since Gardevoir KOs it with Moonblast. 

Vcs6bD.png

Misty Terrain ends, and Radomus sends out Slowking and Gossip Gardevoir. We got Gardevoir on Gardevoir action here! I don't want to google that. Slowking outspeeds everyone under Trick Room to hit Aonyobo with Scald. Meanwhile, Bean Sidhe and Aonyobo gang up on Gossip Gardevoir to KO her with a combined Aqua Tail and Moonblast. 

LT2ChC.png

Now its two against one. Slowking brings Aonyobo to red HP with Scald, and it burns her. Bean Sidhe hits Slowking with Play Rough for a little less than half her HP, and Aonyobo uses Moonblast, bringing him to low red HP. Bean Sidhe uses Aqua Jet on the King, but it doesn't do enough damage to KO (I'm not surprised, just disappointed), and Slowking KOs Aonyobo with Scald. I send out Futakuchi, who gets the KO with Sucker Punch. 

uw9YjZ.png

And that's Radomus! 

Whew. I had to do that battle a few times to get the rhythm of it and to actually get rid of Metagross. But I was able to twist the dimensions on Radomus by using his favored strategy against him to outspeed the iron giant, which is the only reason I was able to defeat him. If Radomus didn't have a Trick Room team, I'm not sure if I would have been able to beat it. The luckiest thing was that Macha didn't bring Metagross into potion range, which would have probably allowed Metagross to sweep. 

Before progressing to the plot, I decide to get side stuff out of the way, like going to Byxbision and fighting Mr. Bigglesworth, and spending a lot of time Heart Scale farming (Kechibi's ability, Frisk, is really useful here), and resetting their natures to favorable ones. Honestly, I'm not sure if the new nature will affect anything since they're all around level 60 now, but I decide to go for it anyway. 

While I spend literal hours soft resetting, I start to really wonder about Sylveon. I would prefer him to be type coverage and not another special wall, but without Psyshock or Shadow Ball as TMs, I'm not really sure about his viability. I really want to use him, but Hyper Voice isn't available until much later on... Eventually I do decide to keep using him as a Wish passer and special tank, and hopefully he'll get some coverage moves eventually. 

After a LOT of plot revolving around Luna and El's cult of Arceus, we have to face Bennett in Iolia valley. This was my team:

Spoiler

OCh5ls.png

UiXjtL.png

rTCR6O.png

swtVqb.png

JPq3qG.png

INTRODUCING a brand new Fairy pick up in Iolia Valley, and one that completely redefines our main strategy from this point on: 

Hzz02s.png

That's right, for Bennett we're going with Trick Room fairies. As I've said before, my team has a speed problem. All of my heavy hitters are also incredibly slow (other than Gardevoir, and my Gardevoir is slower than most by design). Jumpluff and Whimsicott are the fast duo, but they're a stall pair, not heavy hitters. Trick Room allows us to turn what was our greatest weakness into our greatest strength. With an Amplifield Rock, Carbink gives us 8 turns of Trick Room, and he can just Explode to let a stronger Pokemon in. 

VS BENNETT

9Dfojq.png

Spoiler

Bennett got absolutely rekt. Like, Tyrannosaurus Rekt. Bennett's bugs do not like Rock moves. They also REALLY don't like Stealth Rocks. And under Trick Room, they barely stand a chance of being able to attack Carbink, who swept his entire team single-handedly (well, Carbink doesn't have hands, but you know what I mean). 

vbsk3z.png

The begging of the end for Bennett...

j6WtN7.png

xxAMYZ.png

ty1hlo.png

vmCMVr.png

WuQayq.png

sqoAum.png

As you can see, it got pretty down to the wire at the end, but seriously, Bennett stood no chance. It almost made me feel bad for him. Almost. 

With Bennett out of the way, we can take on Luna. But that'll have to wait for next time. 

NEXT TIME: Violence in the Valley! And later... Chaos at the Circus! Will I be able to triumph over Samson? Or is his field just too unpredictable? 

It's always my great pleasure to watch Bennett get destroyed! This kid is the living proof that studying on its own isn't enough to educate you in the most important aspects of life.

Congrats @Orasha for another great victory! 

Spoiler

Loved the Trick Room strategy! Carbink and Diancie are among my favourite type of pokemon when it comes to concept and design, but never had the chance to use them... :( 

On 6/23/2017 at 11:43 AM, Jess said:

It's always my great pleasure to watch Bennett get destroyed! This kid is the living proof that studying on its own isn't enough to educate you in the most important aspects of life.

Congrats @Orasha for another great victory! 

Reveal hidden contents

Loved the Trick Room strategy! Carbink and Diancie are among my favourite type of pokemon when it comes to concept and design, but never had the chance to use them... :( 

Thanks! Trick Room is something I've never used before, but it works really well. Carbink is basically my Diancie stand in :D 

On 6/23/2017 at 4:31 PM, rayyan said:

Sweeping Bennett is so cool. The jerk deserves this for wasting my precious time soft resetting on the grass mono.😡😡

I was not expecting the sweep at all, since Carbink has low attack stats. I was just in awe the entire time :D 

My Team: 

azumarill.gifmawile.gifgardevoir.gifsylveon.gifjumpluff.gifwhimsicott.gifflorges-blue.gifgranbull.gifcarbink.gif

Manannan          Futakuchi   Aonyobo       Kasha         Keseran       Ittan-momen   Brigid             Macha       Carbink

At this point, I'm basically running three different strategies in rotation, and not all of them work together. Misty terrain allows me to nullify field bonuses and give myself an advantageous one, and powers up my special attackers. Trick Room allows me to turn my attackers' horrendous speeds into an advantage, especially since gym leaders seem to have EV trained Pokemon to help maximize their speed. Unfortunately, the stall bros, Keseran and Ittan-momen, don't work too well under those strategies: Misty field prevents statuses like sleep, and they won't be able to outspeed most Pokemon under Trick Room. Whimsicott's Prankster allows him to still stall, but I have to be very careful with the two of them. 

With those musings out of the way, its time to take on Luna. 

wQ0K6C.png 

Spoiler

Ah, Luna. Luna's team and their amazing names always make me want to start a Dark mono-run. I'm a fairly big fan of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, along with derivative works like American McGee's Alice and Alice: the Madness Returns, and the Tim Burton films. It's a shame we'll only be seeing them for a short while. 

Carbink tanks Iron Head thanks to its ability, sturdy, and sets up Trick Room. Next turn, Trick Room allows him to outspeed Carpenter the Bisharp to set up Stealth Rock, since Bisharp won't take much damage from explosion, and then goes down to Iron Head. 

kKT240.png 

I bring out Macha, who OHKOs Bisharp with Close Combat.

brd6My.png

She sends out Bandersnatch the Tyranitar, but its no use. A 4x weakness to fighting ensures he's KOed by Close Combat and stealth rock damage. 

f1qARX.png

She sends out HumptyDumpty the Malamar, so I send out Kasha. Sylveon takes the squid to red HP with a Moonblast, and I set up Misty Terrain next turn, knowing that Luna will heal. After she expends a healing item, a field-boosted Moonblast OHKOs Malamar.

k1YRJV.png 

She sends out JubJubBird the Honchkrow, who takes heavy damage from stealth rocks, but Kasha can outspeed it and KOs with Moonblast. 

AK6WkJ.png

Trick Room ends, but its okay, because Sableye is really slow. I switch out Kasha for Aonyobo, mostly to spread the exp around, who OHKOs it with Moonblast.

P5vVpZ.png

Finally its her Umbreon, so I send out Bean Sidhe, due to Umbreon having a little less Physical Defense. Unfortunately, my Azumarill flinches a lot and misses with Play Rough a lot, so the terrain returns to normal. Umbreon also confuses her, but Bean Sidhe works through the confusion to hit hard with Superpower, taking Cheshire to low yellow HP. I predict Luna will use another potion, so I switch in Kasha. Kasha sets up Misty Terrain again and begins to use Trump Card. Umbreon stalls with Moonlight a bit and Luna uses her last Hyper Potion, but its okay, because Trump Card's last PP (which has some ridiculous base power due to Pixilate's bonus being higher in a Misty field) gets a critical and KOs Umbreon. 

S3rM4U.png

Luna wasn't really that hard and I beat her underlevelled as anything, but Fairy has type advantage and I have silly tactics, so I really don't know why I expected her to be harder. 

With Luna defeated, we can follow Cain into Calcenon city.

Spoiler

The Nightmare Begins

ga7YTg.png

Traditionally this is a massive cutoff, and you can't return to Reborn after this point. However, Gardevoir knows Teleport, allowing us the cheese the system for a little while. As long as we don't use the healing station in Fiore mansion (and possibly the one inside the Big Top), we can teleport back to the city. I'm not a game programmer, but I think the healing station in the circus grounds doesn't count as a teleport location since its outside or something. I'm honestly not sure if this is a glitch or intentional or what. This isn't too useful, though it will allow us to possibly train or breed moves onto Clefairy easier, and actually use the department store sticker we get at the Circus. 

Speaking of Clefable, I'm not sure if I'm going to use it. This is another one like Chansey: both are highly ranked within the competitive community (Smogon's monotype hub lists Clefable as an S-tier Pokemon), but both require TMs that aren't in Reborn yet. Clefable is also a set up sweeper, and both of my main strategies have a time limit, so I'm not a huge fan of setting up. I just don't think I can justify it, at least not right now. Of course, I soft reset a bunch of times to get good IVs just in case, and also scouted out its Egg Moves. 

Anyways, back on the plot rain. I have to go find Hardy on Route 2, which means getting through the Crustle Puzzle. Again, another puzzle I heard bad things about, but which I didn't find that difficult (I say this every time, but I would prefer doing it to Pyrous Mountain). The only weird part is when you slide the Crustles down ledges, since I don't think any NPC tells you that you can do that. I think I'm just weird. 

Before getting Hardy, I run around to catch a female Snorunt with decent IVs, since its part of the Fairy Egg Group. Eventually, I settle on one with meh IVs, but its fine since I don't think I'll be using Froslass that much anyway. When we reach Fiore mansion, I replace Aonyobo's Teleport with Trick Room. Teleport doesn't allow us to cheese past this point, and she's a great secondary setter. Healing Wish allows her to bring one of my sweepers like Bean Sidhe or Macha back to full HP to take advantage of as many Trick Room turns as possible. 

After completing the plot train (for now), we face Samson:

3WmbOL.png

After trying to face him underlevelled and getting absolutely stomped, I decided to grind everyone up to level 63 (a chore, honestly). Initially I wanted to lead with Florges to set Misty Terrain, since Samson's field is a pain. Once the mist fades, Bean Sidhe was going to take advantage of the field to boost her attack power, and then possibly set up Trick Room with Gardevoir. Unfortunately, that strategy didn't do well and I had to soft reset a few times.

After re-acquainting myself with what the Big Top field actually does, I realized that Jumpluff would be able to do amazing work thanks to Acrobatics' boost. Will it be enough? Lets find out.

Spoiler

I lead with Keseran, who takes out Hariyama with Acrobatics. 

sUNH5R.png

Samson sends out Mienshao, who is a terror on this field, so I try and have Keseran put it to sleep. Unfortunately, the weasel outspeeds me and OHKOs with Acrobatics. Things aren't looking too good...

p7LOxw.png

I send out Carbink, who shrugs off an Acrobatics and sets up Trick Room. 

tkXDlY.png

Rather than waste time with ineffective Rock attacks or stealth rock (which won't do that much damage anyway), I just have him explode. In a twist of fate, its a critical, who KOs Mienshao! 

1inF2y.png

I send out Bean Sidhe, and Samson responds with Lucario. Bean Sidhe uses Superpower, which gets a massive boost from the field thanks the her ability, Huge Power, breaking Lucario's Focus Sash. Meanwhile, it sets up Swords Dance. Samson uses a Hyper Potion, but its a useless effort as Bean Sidhe hits with Superpower again; a OHKO even with the debuff.

oBYCoP.png

Next out is Blaziken, so I keep Bean Sidhe in and hit with Aqua Tail. Even after two Superpowers and their attack lowering effect, Aqua Tail still takes about half of the chicken's HP. Blaziken hits with Blaze Kick, which does great damage thanks to Superpower lowering Azumarill's defense, but she KOs it next turn with another Aqua Tail. 

dm7lSY.png

Samson sends out Hawlucha, and Bean Sidhe uses Play Rough, taking about half its HP and activating Sitrus Berry, and the bird proceeds to KO Bean Sidhe with Acrobatics. 

9AMMFO.png

I switch to Kasha, who revenge kills Hawlucha with Moonblast. 

0wo0X9.png

Trick room ends, but that's okay because his Conkledurr is extremely slow and would likely outspeed my team if the dimensions were twisted. Kasha sets up Misty Terrain, nullifying the effects of the RNG field, and gets OHKOed by Poison Jab. A fair trade.

p866WW.png

I send out Aonyobo, who gets revenge for Sylveon by OHKOing Conkledurr with Moonblast. 

HJA1Vw.png

That battle went basically as well as I could have hoped. It involved a lot of planned sacrifices and trades, but my mons did their jobs admirably. Carbink could have set up stealth rocks instead of exploding, which would have allowed Bean Sidhe to OHKO Lucario, but I'm not sure that would have been a good trade off considering Mienshao would still be alive and deadly. Bean Sidhe would have had to use Superpower twice regardless of what Carbink did, IMO. Other than that possible misplay, everything worked amazingly well. Trick Room ending right when Conkledurr came out was fantastic timing. I love it when a plan comes together. 

That's all for now, folks! 

NEXT TIME: Aster and Eclipse! And my rematch with an old nemesis... Charlotte! 

12 minutes ago, Orasha said:

Traditionally this is a massive cutoff, and you can't return to Reborn after this point. However, Gardevoir knows Teleport, allowing us the cheese the system for a little while. As long as we don't use the healing station in Fiore mansion (and possibly the one inside the Big Top), we can teleport back to the city.

God damn, I had an Abra with Teleport (bought from 7th street) in every single run of mine? Why the hell I never thought about it? xD 

Also, great job once again, with the elaborate strats! I never realized Trump Card with Pixilate would be so OP!

And Carbink proves itsself to be a great suicide lead, you useit similarly to how I used Valor, my Forretress in my Bug Monorun. And it had great success! :D 

Keep it up, I love reading your pixie adventures! ;) 

4 minutes ago, Jess said:

God damn, I had an Abra with Teleport (bought from 7th street) in every single run of mine? Why the hell I never thought about it? xD 

Also, great job once again, with the elaborate strats! I never realized Trump Card with Pixilate would be so OP!

And Carbink proves itsself to be a great suicide lead, you useit similarly to how I used Valor, my Forretress in my Bug Monorun. And it had great success! :D 

Keep it up, I love reading your pixie adventures! ;) 

I think I first did it by accident, I have no idea whether its a bug or intentional xD 

Trump Card with Pixilate has a hilariously high BP on its last attack. Normally its 200, but with pixilate + STAB its 360, and under Misty Terrain Pixilate's boost is 1.5 instead of 1.2, meaning that it hits with an insane 450 base power. Against a staller like Umbreon, where OHKOs are basically the only way to deal with it effectively, its amazing. 

Thanks so much! 

29 minutes ago, Orasha said:

I think I first did it by accident, I have no idea whether its a bug or intentional xD 

Trump Card with Pixilate has a hilariously high BP on its last attack. Normally its 200, but with pixilate + STAB its 360, and under Misty Terrain Pixilate's boost is 1.5 instead of 1.2, meaning that it hits with an insane 450 base power. Against a staller like Umbreon, where OHKOs are basically the only way to deal with it effectively, its amazing. 

Thanks so much! 

Yes, unless you Taunt Umbreon, you are pretty much doomed if you can't deal enough damage. It will stall you out with Moonlight+Toxic+Confuse Ray.

I killed it in my Bug Mono relatively easily with Kricketune. Taunted it first, stopped it from Confusing me, then X-Scissored it to death.

5 hours ago, Jess said:

Yes, unless you Taunt Umbreon, you are pretty much doomed if you can't deal enough damage. It will stall you out with Moonlight+Toxic+Confuse Ray.

I killed it in my Bug Mono relatively easily with Kricketune. Taunted it first, stopped it from Confusing me, then X-Scissored it to death.

It certainly helped that Fairy has a type advantage to Dark. I think it I had a problem with it I would have spent more time grinding or brought in Whimsicott to Encore Umbreon. 

Sorry for the delay, everyone! I was away from my computer that has the screenshots and hadn't uploaded them to a sharing service yet. So, without further ado, we have to team up with Aya and head through the mountains. Naturally, Team Meteor is there.

My team at the time was composed of: 

Spoiler

GlBN8w.png

uB57wS.png

aNGctU.png

Sg5hoN.png

eDoBhI.png

6mh6IR.png

VS ASTER AND ECLIPSE

Spoiler

These two were actually more annoying than I expected, though I only had to soft reset once. The first time, Aya's AI was being super wonky, as Nidoqueen kept refusing to use actually useful moves. The second time, Aya seemed to try harder, and so it was much less difficult. I was in a rush and didn't get a detailed summary, but I do have screenshots. 

Solrock gets taken out by Bean Sidhe

cecayA.png

The Meteor duo KO Dragalge

ksN0ct.png

Bean Sidhe avenges by OHKOing Golurk

5xshyQ.png

Electivire comes out so I switch Bean Sidhe for Carbink, who gets KOed immediately

Tcxvz4.png

Aonyobo tanked some hits to take out Electivire

llvdBk.png

Lunatone avenges by taking out Gardevoir (with a fairy move no less)

h1chuK.png

Lunatone finally goes down to a combined assault. 

dBoWui.png

These are the only screens I have, so I'm betting Rhyperior was taken out pretty easily. I know that once it was a 2 on 1, I just swept with Brigid. Sorry the playback of this one was so lacking, folks. 

After that, Eclipse prepares to defect, but Sirius won't have that. Chandelure proceeds to burn her soul, because if you read the Pokedex entries you should know that most Ghost Pokemon are seriously creepy. Driftloon kidnaps kids, Yamask is the soul of a person, and Chandelure's line literally burn the souls of the living to fuel themselves. That's metal. 

There is a lot of plot that I won't really be going over, if you've read this far you've probably made it through this point in the game. It's nice to meet up with the orphans again, though. Charlotte and Saphira take family unity a little too far, and a clever ring ruse distracts the Meteors long enough for me to face Charlotte. 

Charlotte, the burninator. In my regular playthrough, this was as far as I got. She wiped the floor with me again and again. I can still see the flames at night when I close my eyes, and the words echo through my soul: Typhlosion used Eruption... Typhlosion used Eruption... Typhlosion used Eruption... 

But enough about the past. We might just be able to do this. Charlotte's team is built for doubles: lots of coverage options, and plenty of moves that hit both of her opponent's Pokemon. The field is firmly in her favor, as it boosts all of her Pokemon's strengths and weakens Water, one of their main weaknesses. And every one of her 'mons is blisteringly fast. Fortunately, we can nullify one of those strengths, and turn the other into an advantage for us... Of course, it doesn't help that Fire resists Fairy, but we'll have to push through it.

For this fight, I'll be boxing Jumpluff, Whimsicott, and Mawile, as they're all weak to Fire. After some grinding, my squad looked like this: 

Spoiler

OHrppk.png

gOIPrt.png

WbEfCX.png

wWUhYm.png

xRaLJ5.png

tPruff.png

Standard loadouts for most of them, Bean Sidhe has a Rindo Berry since most of Charlotte's water coverage is from Grass Moves. 

With preparations complete, its time to take on Charlotte. She gives us a little speech about her past, and I'm sad that Sigmund was so terrible cause this girl really needs to see a psychiatrist. 

VS CHARLOTTE

yVHzNp.png

Spoiler

We're leading with Florges and Carbink, the goal being to set up Trick Room and Misty Terrain as always. We actually manage it on the first turn, to my surprise: Typhlosion uses heat wave, getting a critical on Carbink and burning Brigid, and Darmanitan uses Rock Slide. Brigid manages to get off Misty Terrain before being KOed by burn damage. Carbink gets off Trick Room with no problems. 

C6OFCb.png

I bring out Bean Sidhe as a replacement. Carbink sets Stealth rocks, and Bean Sidhe OHKOs Typhlosion with Aqua Tail. 

7JuUR8.png

Darmanitan KOs Carbink with Flare Blitz, so I bring out Aonyobo, and Charlotte brings out Volcarona, who gets half of its HP taken away by the rocks. This prompts Charlotte to use a potion on it, and Bean Sidhe proceeds to OHKO Darmanitan. 

EXbXKj.png

Aonyobo hits Volcarona with Psychic, Charlotte sends out Rotom. Then she switches Volcarona out for Delphox, which I suppose was a good prediction, because Bean Sidhe OHKOs it. 

tr9lt5.png

Aonyobo hits Rotom with Moonblast but it doesn't really do anything, and Rotom hits her with Overheat for about a quarter HP. I guess Rotom doesn't have a ghost move or something... Charlotte apparently hasn't learned her lesson, and sends out Volcarona, who is almost KOed by Stealth Rocks. This prompts Charlotte to use another potion, but its a wasted effort since Bean Sidhe OHKOs it. 

OqFWpg.png

Rotom and Gardevoir continue their Psychic and Overheat trading, and Rotom is almost KOed, and Charlotte brings out Ninetales. Bean Sidhe hits it with Aqua Tail, but it doesn't KO thanks to the sunlight and Ninetales' berry activates. Aonyobo steps in, KOing the fox with Psychic.

BM67vr.png

Rotom teaches us the definition of insanity by hitting Aonyobo with Overheat again, which basically does nothing thanks to all the debuffs, and its taken out next turn by an Aqua Jet. 

fJza6l.png

That fight. Was. A lot easier then expected, actually. Stealth rocks absolutely play havoc with her team and her AI, and Trick Room allowed Bean Sidhe to sweep easily. The funny part is I actually beat her twice: the first time I was just trying to test whether Carbink could set up Stealth Rock and then Trick Room, and it turned into Carbink and Bean Sidhe sweeping her team with Rock and Water attacks. But because I went in expecting to reset, I didn't take any screenshots. Oh well, she really wasn't that bad for my squad. 

With that, I'm officially farther along than I've ever been in the game. Funny, that. 

NEXT TIME: Malevolence on the Mountain! I'll be talking about Avalugg, Aster, and Blake. See you then!