/die

Amethyst

• Administrators

So I just trimmed a few from, and then nearly doubled the /d list.

Most of them are references, however, and I know some people were confused about some of the ones that we already had, so here's to explanation.

In the below list, %s is substituted with the victim's name.

%s continually kicked a rock until death.

Not a reference. But definitely painful.

%s strayed off the path and was ravaged by the wolf.

Reference to the classic fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood, in which a young girl is attacked by a wolf as a result of her not going directly to her destination.

%s slowly deteriorated into nothingness.

Not a reference. More of a feel, really...

%s has committed suicide.

Not a reference. This doesn't really need explaining...

%s failed to make a decent Katamari and was lasered by the King.

Reference to the video game series Katamari Damacy in which the player rolls everything in the world into a giant ball. If the requirements for the level aren't met, however, well, that happens.

%s fainted.

If you don't get this reference, you are probably on the wrong website.

%s started to bleed heavily and passed out.

A lot of people think this is a reference to something gross. It isn't. Trust me.

No, seriously.

%s whited out.

In one incarnation of the main series games, the protagonist was said to 'white out' rather than black out. To this day I'm not quite sure why.

%s was cast into the Abyss.

Simultaneously a reference to Pandora Heats, wherein the Abyss is a wonderland-like prison of demons and lost souls, as well as Shade's old signature end-battle quotes for challengers who lose to him.

%s fell down the rabbit hole.

Reference to Alice in Wonderland, wherein Alice plummets down a deep rabbit hole into the fantasy world.

%s was mysteriously struck by lightning.

Not a reference. I think?

%s ran out of lives.

Reference to most video games ever.

%s died of a heart attack 40 seconds later.

Reference to Death Note. If a person's name is written in the note without a condition of death being specified, they will die of a Heart Attack after 40 seconds.

%s ate a sad pancake and died.

A reference to Nyu's old website, sadpancake.com. This is a sad pancake. However, until this /d no one was aware they were toxic/fatal.

%s was devoured by 1001 kitties.

Not a reference. Merely the lingering effect of former staff member Miss Kitty's spawn. They need fresh-kill every now and then.

%s got Game Over'd.

Another video game-general reference.

%s received a kiss... from a Dementor.

In the Harry Potter series, the Dementor is a ghastly creature not unlike a reaper who sucks the souls out of its victims by 'kissing' them.

%s got away safely.

The only way to use /d, and live. If you don't get the reference, you don't deserve to get this /d.

%s's soul was eaten by Death.

I'm not entirely sure if this is a reference to something, or just an effect of the grim reaper.

%s ate just a wafer thin mint... and exploded.

Reference to Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

%s sunk into the darkness.

A reference to former staff member and creator of Reborn's signature series +Infinitas's old habit of exiting in this manner.

%s was hit by a flying ice cream truck.

I'm not exactly sure how this started, but allegedly I was the driver of this truck. However, since I was fired from my job at the Ice Cream store, this is certainly no longer the case. I can only assume that the truck has taken on a life of its own and is out for blood and nothing less.

%s is blasting off again!

Reference to Team Rocket's signature exit in just about ever anime episode of Pokemon ever.

%s was erased.

Reference to the DS Game, the World Ends With You. To be 'erased' in that game is tantamount to death.

%s ate the poisoned apple and fell into a deep sleep.

Reference to the classic story of Snow White in which the villain poisons the apple and gives it to Snow in order to harm her.

%s EXPLODED!!!

Possibly a reference to former Reborn Electric Leader Julia, or simply the move Explosion.

%s brought Julia decaf and was never seen again.

Reference to former Reborn Electric Leader Julia, who had a severe caffiene addiction.

%s was pounded into next Tuesday in one of Terra's rampages.

Reference to Reborn Ground Leader Terra and her... wild side, shall we say.

%s was checkmated by Radomus.

Reference to former Reborn Psychic Leader Radomus, who had a penchant chess and equating it to his mathces.

%s met Gossip Gardevoir, only to be mind-crushed into the estate's maid.

Reference to an event in which former Reborn Psychic Leader and current commentator Gardevoir (owned by Radomus) hypnotised former Reborn Normal Leader Elias, sworn enemy of Radomus, into serving herself and Radomus as a Butler.

%s tore through the dragons, only to be slain by Princess Titania herself.

Reference to Reborn Steel Leader and a former extended metaphor. As applied to the fairy tale set up of a white knight who must slay a dragon to save the princess, Titania once remarked that she (being the princess) was actually the one who hired the dragons to guard herself, and was not infact imprisoned by them at all. The dragons were also metaphorically recycled representing her trust issues- as demons that must be slain in order to be with her, yet necessary for her own survival.

%s lost a duel in the Shadow Realm.

Reference to YuGiOh, in which Shadow Realm duels usually result in one person or the other being trapped there for eternity.

%s challenged the Jabberwock, without the Vorpal Sword.

Reference to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, in which the Jabberwock is a beast that cannot be slain with out the Vorpal Sword ("If it's not Vorpal, it's not dead!"). Thereby challenging it is tantamount to suicide.

%s hurt themselves in their confusion!

Reference to the confusion status in the main series games.

%s's Perish count fell to 0!

Reference to the attack Perish Song, which kills a Pokemon after this message is displayed.

%s was TOO SLOW!

Reference to Sonic's Taunt in Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

%s vanished instantly!

Reference to the two-part attack Shadow Force. This is the first message displayed.

%s fell into one of Team Rocket's poorly disguised pitfalls! ... how?

Reference to Pokemon Anime characters Jesse and James' habit of creating covered holes to trap the heroes. However, they are seldom effective.

%s let the door hit them on the way out!

Reference to a stereotypical angered exit taunt. i.e "Fine, leave! Don't let the door hit you on your way out!"

%s lost the Alice Game.

Reference to the anime Rozen Maiden, in which the main characters compete against each other for their father's affection in what is known as the Alice Game. The rough object of the game is to take from each other what is vaguely equivallent to a soul, thereby killing each other to win.

%s stepped in for a shave on Fleet Street.

Reference to the musical and movie Sweeney Todd, in which a 'demon barber' does not shave people, but instead kills them. He keeps his shop on Fleet Street.

%s divided by zero.

You just don't do this. Seriously. Don't.

%s died. Just...died.

Basically.

%s resigned themselves to failure...

Reference to former Reborn Dragon Leader and League Champion's victory quote, "Go. Resign yourself to failure."

%s fell into Ikaru's illusion!

Ikaru likes to be a gloryhog and kill people this way. But he IS an illusionist, so it's only fair.

%s was disconnected due to tires in the Pacific Ocean starting at 7:63 AM

This one confuses people a lot. Reference to my favorite line in the anime movie Paprika. In Paprika, the world of dreams has crossed over into reality, and everyone is quite literally going insane. A character attempts to make a phone call, and the operator replies, "Sorry, the number you have dialed has been disconnected due to tires in the Pacific Ocean starting at 7:63 AM".

%s gave Cave Johnson lemons.

Reference to the following paragraph, courtesy of the Portal series.

When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

%s died from a broken heart

We all have at one point.

%s went out of style.

One can only be 'in' for so long.

%s said Candlejack and was never se

Reference to an episode of Freakizoid in which the named character abducted any person who said (or apparently typed his name.) It later became an internet meme.

%s ran out of rings.

Reference to how one dies in Sonic.

%s was given a tip... AND A SPEAR BEHIND IT.

I don't know that this is anything beyond a bad pun.

%s took an arrow in the knee.

Reference to the popular Skyrim meme.

%s failed a jump quest one too many times.

It's infuriating really. This death was added after Eternal Edge failed the ZJQ in MapleStory too many times and ended up rage quitting.

Edited by Eternal Edge
Corrected a typo and added more context to the 'jump quest' death.

• Administrators
%s fell off the Eternal Edge.

Ikaru likes to be a gloryhog and kill people this way. But he IS an edge, so it's only fair.

%s went into The Oratory with a stranger

Reference to the Reborn's original take on the Nonary Game. Success in the Oratory depends on the trust of the people inside it- many otherwise promising teams were doomed by it.

%s passed through a numbered door without verifying

Reference to the Nonary Game in general, in which if a person does not verify their bracelet before passing through a door- and afterwards- they will explode 81 seconds later.

%s hit the ground too hard.

Reference to Minecraft. This message is displayed when a player falls to their death.

%s was shot by Skeleton.

Reference to Minecraft, in which the Skeletons are archers. This message is displayed when a Skeleton kills a player.

%s was caught by Elliot.

Reference to Reborn's Type Quiz, in which the quiz-taker is placed in the shoes of a Pokemon captured by Elliot, a rather incompetent Trainer. Some say that this is a fate worse than death.

%s was struck by a Twoleg monster on the Thunderpath.

A reference to the Warrior series of books, by Erin Walker. The book features a population of cats as its characters. They refer to humans as 'Twolegs', cars and other vehicles as 'monsters' and roads as 'the Thunderpath.' Essentially, this /d is being a cat who is hit by a car.

%s has angered BreloomBot and was Focus Punch'd away!

A reference to Reborn's automod, BreloomBot. After two mutes, it will Focus Punch those who dislike it out of the server.

%s chased Singed.

A League of Legends reference. It is often jokingly said for new players that Rule 1 of the game is to not chase Singed. Singed is a champion who's unique abilities slowly kill people as they follow him.

%s was taken by Slenderman.

A reference to the new popular abducter/creeper in internet culture.

%s has died of dysentry.

A reference to the game Oregon Trail. This was one of many diseases that could claim your party while on the road.

%s attemtped a Sonic Rainboom- but failed...

A reference to My Little Pony. Rainbow Dash's signature move is the Sonic Rainboom- a highspeed, dangerous, difficult manuever. She has great trouble preforming it herself, much to her misfortune.

%s was equalized.

A refrence to Avatar: The Legend of Korra. The main villain of the first season, Amon, 'equalized' benders by taking their unique abilities. For some, it effectively ruined their lives.

%s was thrown into the TV.

A reference to the Playstation Game, Persona 4. In the game, a string of murders is committed by someone who 'throws' people into a TV. This causes them to fall into a special world inside the TV known as the midnight channel, where they are forced to face their true self that they have been repressing in the form of a Shadow version of themself. It is broadcast for everyone to see. Should they fail to accept it, the Shadow kills them.

%s talked about Fight Club.

A reference to the book and movie Fight Club. "Rule 1: Don't talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: DON'T talk about Fight Club."

%s simply walked into Mordor.

A reference the internet meme, "One does not simply walk into Mordor" based on the Lord of the Rings. Mordor is the home country of the evil force, well guarded, dangerous beyond reason. To "simply walk into" it is tantamount to suicide.

%s tried to play I Wanna Be The Guy Gaiden on Impossible mode.

A hellish game made more hellish. You're more likely to break through steel by bashing your head against it than to complete this.

%s fought the law and the law won.

A reference to the song, "I fought the law" by the Clash.

%s was hit by, %s was struck by a smooth criminal.

A reference to the song "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson

%s was trapped in the Dark World without the Moon Pearl.

A reference to Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. In the Dark World, people are transformed into animals and monsters if they are not protected by the power of the Moon Pearl.

%s was infected by the X-Parasites.

A reference to the GBA game Metroid Fusion. In the game, X-Parasites overrun an entire space station. Samus is unqiuely invulnerable to them, but other life forms are corrupted by their power.

%s was sacrificed as a vessel for Martel.

A reference to the Gamecube Game, Tales of Symphonia. Much of the game's plot revolves around the villain attempting to purify a body in order to sacrifice to revive the lost Goddess Martel.

%s could not grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!

A reference to the Super Nintendo Game, Earthbound, in which the final boss, Giygas becomes invulnerable and attacks ferociously, in deliverance with this message.

%s was corrupted by the Negativitron.

A reference to the Playstation 3 game, LittleBig Planet, in which this nefarious entity slowly corrupts and destroys the world.

%s was turned into a Heartless.

A reference to the Kingdom Hearts series, particularly the first game in which one character is in fact transformed into the Heartless creature.

%s challenged Lavos at the first opportunity.

A reference to the SNES game, Chrono Trigger, in which the player has the opportunity to fight the final boss, Lavos, very early in the game- far before they could possibly be ready to do so. Foolishly challenging him at that point tends to result in instant slaughter.

%s broke a Pinkie Promise and was banished forever.

A reference to My Little Pony. Pinkie Pie takes her signature Pinkie Promises very seriosuly- terrible things befall any who break them.

%s was released.

Originally intended as a reference to The Giver, a book in which a dystopian society 'releases' (i,e) kills prisoners and elderly, it is also a Pokemon reference, as in to be released by one's Trainer.

%s sampled the White Witch's Turkish Delight.

A reference to the Chronicles of Narnia, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. The villainess tempts a main character with this treat, corrupting his mind.

%s wasn't The White Queen's champion afterall.

A reference to Tim Buron's Alice in Wonderland. Each side in a battle chooses a 'Champion' to lead the battle. When one Champion falls the battle is over. To choose improperly may have grim consequences.

%s was transformed into a whale and a bowl of petunias.

A reference to a passage of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which, thanks to the Infinite improbablity drive, which makes a completely random anything happen, two missles were transformed into these objects, and plummeted to the surface of a planet.

%s was captured by the Thought Police.

A reference to the classic novel, 1984. The Thought Police are exactly as they sound, and can arrest someone for having treasonous beliefs.

%s was driven to sheer madness by their unrequited love for the below person, and took their own life.

Not a reference. Similar to the previous, but specifically tied to another person in the server. I can imagine some people calling 'dibs' on these.

%s was read out of their story.

A reference to the book and movie, Inkheart.

%s volunteered as a tribute.

A reference to the book and movie, The Hunger Games, in which two teenagers from every region are offered as tribute to participate in savage games that may as well be sending them to their death.

%s was caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.

A reference to the song "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen.

%s was admitted to Dr.Connal's lab for shocks...

A reference to Reborn's Electric Gym Leader Dr. Sigmund Connal, who practices shock therapy in addition to his psychiatry. Those who have suffered them, however, seldom come out the same....

%s was swallowed whole by Shade.

%s mentioned Cain to Aya and was injected with her venom.

A reference to Reborn's Poison Leader, who seems to go into a fit of rage every time her brother is brought up.

%s was cursed by the Witch of the Waste.

A reference to the Miyazaki Movie "Howl's Moving Castle" in which the Witch of the Waste curses the young protagonist to elderliness.

%s was turned into a pig.

A reference to the Miyazaki Movie "Spirited Away" in which the protagonist's parents are turned into pigs for their gluttony.

%s was cursed to have all their bacon burned.

A reference to the Miyazaki Movie "Howl's Moving Castle" in which the fire demon calcifer, enslaved and reduced to cooking breakfast sneers a curse, "may all your bacon burn..."

%s fell victim to Order 66.

A reference to the Star Wars series. In Episode III the Sith execute Order 66, preforming genocide upon the Jedi.

%s became lost in the Sea of Corruption.

A reference to the Miyazaki Movie and Manga, "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" in which a polluted jungle wasteland known as the Sea of Corruption consumes the world. To breathe the spores inside will kill one quickly. To breathe only a little may infect one with a disease that slowly turns a person to stone.

%s was voted off the island.

A reference to the gameshow "Survivor". This line was said before a person lost the game.

%s, you are the weakest link. Good bye.

A reference to the controversial gameshow "The Weakest Link". This line was said before a person lost the game.

An even 100. c:

For now...