Team Critique

Karamo

I finished Episode 16 a while ago, so mostly I've been training and looking for new Pokémon that might be interesting to use! So now that I've gotten most things I'm just sort of wondering what suggestions you all might have here on the forms!

Here's my team!

Greninja 

Mild

Protean

Surf

Icy Wind

Dark Pulse

Extrasensory

Raichu

Timid

Lightningrod

Grass Knot

Nuzzle

Nasty Plot

Thunderbolt

Sylveon

Hardy

Cute Charm

Draining Kiss

Misty Terrain

Moonblast

Wish

Glaceon

Bold

Ice Body

Frost Breath

Blizzard

Hail

Mirror Coat

Arcanine

Adamant

Justified

Crunch

Flare Blitz

Extreme Speed

Close Combat

Sandslash

Lonely

Sand Slash

Brick Break

Earthquake

Shadow Claw

Swords Dance

Meowstic

Sassy

Prankster

Dark Pulse

Light Screen

Reflect

Psychic

Swalot

Gentle

Liquid Ooze

Infestation

Toxic

Fire Punch

Venoshock

Leafeon

Naive

Chlorophyll

Swords Dance

Leaf Blade

Grass Whistle

Last Resort

I'm thinking about training up a Crustle, Wigglytuff, and Driftblim I have with me that are already pretty high leveled. So! Shoot! Suggestions, Replacements(maybe), Moveset changes, anything that might help! 

Edited by Karamo
changes

I used Sandslash in my latest playthrough and while it's not a bad Pokemon by any means, it gets outclassed by other Ground-types like Huge Power Diggersby, Sturdy Donphan (I actually replaced my Sandslash with Donphan later on) and Krookodile, for instance. Now, I'm not telling you to get rid of Sandslash, I'm just letting you know there are better alternatives at this point of the game.

May I ask how often you get to use Leafeon's Last Resort? Considering that you have to use all of your other moves first, it seems redundant. Leafeon doesn't learn that many moves and there shortage of available TMs isn't helping, you don't have that many options. At the very least there are more Move Tutors now (with Reborn City being rebuilt and all that), so go and see if you can teach your Leafeon more helpful move(s).

I believe it's a glitch, but using the move in the first slot for Leafeon allows me to use Last Resort. In this case that move is Swords Dance, so It really depends on how fast Leafeon is comparatively, but usually if it lives a hit for an SD I can Silk Scarf Last Resort at least two Pokémon down.

On Sandslash, I mainly used it for Aya way back when, and now it's sort of become a HM slave. I'm considering replacing it with a better ground type but I mainly just have no idea which one. Any suggestions, based on my current team/up coming leaders?

1 hour ago, Karamo said:

I believe it's a glitch, but using the move in the first slot for Leafeon allows me to use Last Resort. In this case that move is Swords Dance, so It really depends on how fast Leafeon is comparatively, but usually if it lives a hit for an SD I can Silk Scarf Last Resort at least two Pokémon down.

On Sandslash, I mainly used it for Aya way back when, and now it's sort of become a HM slave. I'm considering replacing it with a better ground type but I mainly just have no idea which one. Any suggestions, based on my current team/up coming leaders?

Well, that indeed sounds like it's a glitch. But hey, if it works, it works.

If you ask me, I'd choose either Donphan or Krookodile. Both are good, really. I'm not sure if Knock Off was already available in the game; Donphan, however, learns it via level up. Combine that with Sturdy and you can cripple threats like Choice Band or Scarf mons. Krookodile, on the other hand, can weaken the opponent(s) with Intimidate. While Moxie is great, I don't think Krookodile can sweep due to lack of Speed and priority. It's not slow by any means, but there are Steel- and Dragon-types that do outspeed it. Then there are the Swift Swimmers that have their Speed boosted on Water fields (both of which I assume Amaria uses).

Change Sylveon's ability to Pixilate, change its nature to Modest and replace Moonblast with Hyper Voice (move tutor in Mosswater Market).

Change Greninja's nature to Modest (he certainly doesn't need even lower defense)

Better alternatives to Sandslash - Mamoswine, Krookodile, Steelix, Flygon, Garchomp and Gliscor.

On 1.5.2017 at 0:50 AM, Karamo said:

Excadrill does basically the same thing as Sandslash, but with better movepool and stats all around, except for Defense.

Since you don't have anything that can set up Sandstorm you might as well use something faster. Dugtrio is the fastest obtainable Ground Type right now, but doesn't seem to ever get recommended. Aside from that Flygon is the fastest one and has a pretty great movepool via Levelup.

I don't think any particular Ground Type will have an advantage against one of the upcoming leaders. Titania and Hardy are already weak to Ground in general, Amaria will most likely neuter Ground Types with the Water Surface Field. Mamoswine might have an advantage against Saphira, but only if you can get rid of the Dragon's Den Field she will most likely be using. Even then, depending on what Saphira's team looks like it might be too slow to effectively fight her dragons. Flygon might have a better chance, but only if it manages to not get hit.

• 2 weeks later...

@Karamo My suggestions might look weird, but I have noticed that you have no Grass types. I'd honestly suggest a Sawsbuck and a Gogoat. Give Sawsbuck Megahorn, Horn Leech, Double Edge and Jump Kick and you have a fast sweeper with great coverage. Especially if you train a Drought Ninetales too, in order to have a Special fire type sweeper or a bulkier set of the fox with Toxic, then you will be able to fully utilize Sawsbuck's Chlorophyll.

Gogoat is an alternative for a tanky hard hitting Grass type. Give him Horn Leech/Seed Bomb/Leaf Blade, Milk Drink/Synthesis, Earthquake/Bulldoze and Aerial Ace/Bulk Up/Double Edge /Leech Seed and you have a really versatile tanky mon that can either be used as a defensive wall (especially in Grassy terrain with its defence boosted by 50% by Grass Pelt ability) to stall out, or a sweeper that hits like a train if it sets up with Bulk Up.

Just consider them ;) 

I just noticed I got another response!(I'm very surprised I haven't gotten Magnezone/Gardevoir suggestions, they seem to be fan favorites..)

I will definitely consider those three! A tanky Ninetails sounds interesting and the Gogoat and Sawsbuck would work well definitely.