FE Heroes Friend ID and Discussion Topic

Maelstrom

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

meanwhile, in castle de Mael, sits a level 40 4* Cecilia- bow killer, soul stealer.

Also, Hunter's lobster brother came by to say hello.

But yeah, Cecilia really needs a lot of skills, her rally resistance really helps out Tiki and Fred but the others are pretty bad.

Lobster Bro is best Bro. (Little Cheese is pretty cool too. I like this avatar.)

So.

My tune is changing on Palla. I originally said her Ruby Sword was disgusting. She can actually hit green armors HARD now that Hinoka has her flier-boost skill (which is insane!).

And she's still hot.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

meanwhile, in castle de Mael, sits a level 40 4* Cecilia- bow killer, soul stealer.

Also, Hunter's lobster brother came by to say hello.

But yeah, Cecilia really needs a lot of skills, her rally resistance really helps out Tiki and Fred but the others are pretty bad.

I'm leveling random units at this point for funsies and my Cecilia was already 32 so I'm taking her to 40. She's growing on me, not that I ever outright disliked her. I'm thinking of a horse emblem team with Blarblade Ursula (got her to 40 in the last round of things, and rolled Odin recently) Triangle Adept Cecilia, Priscilla because Rehabilitate is way too good wtf also she's my favorite in FE7 if I had to pick one, and ... uh, idk, Eliwood? for... something......? I wouldn't mind Eldigan to be honest but I'm not so fortunate.

I was finally getting around to doing some of the challenges. One of 'em was to use a sword user on P 5-2 on lunatic. It's amazing how one member change made the map so much easier than my original run. Well, half the map of enemies was red while my main team is half green. I also realize how useful Eirika would be to a Gronnblade user. Seiglinde give atk +3, Hone speed gives +4 speed. So as long as you end your turn next to her, next turn you get +4 spd and +10 atk. Sweet Christmas.  And pivot seems to be a good way of getting her where she needs to be. Maybe even throw herself in front of a glass cannon who would otherwise die to secure the W for the team...

So the real question is... who is the best gronnblade candidate?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Fabled Asian said:

Which do you guys think would be better for a +HP/-SPD S! Camilla, Gronnblade or Gronnraven?

I think it's neat that triangle adept gronnraven makes you take 0.9x damage even though you have the bow weakness. But I also really like blade tomes. I think you can go either way if you have flier buffs.

I think Eirika pairs well with any blade tome user, Mael.

Eirika+Tharja is pretty popular.

Its hard to say. If you are not running a dancer you may want your blade tome to be an infantry unit so Sieglinde can catch up to your Mage. That makes Nino stand out, but she's pretty frail. SpringCammy or Cecilia are pretty okay, but tying your wings to Eirika is lame. Cecilia is good. If you run a dancer for Eirika to stay close.

@Ikaru Well seeing how she wil have 22 Spd at max, Camilla will most likely be doubled by any unit, so I was hoping a Blade build (especially with Flier buffs) would help her OHKO any unit, on the other hand the +HP means she can take alot of hits from the TA+Raven build but will go down to Reds and some Greens.

1 minute ago, Chase said:

I think Eirika pairs well with any blade tome user, Mael.

Eirika+Tharja is pretty popular.

Well, the problem is I don't have a Tharja at all.

I have plenty of 3* Odin's for blue tome users and 3* nino's but no tharja to pass it on from. hmm, I really don't have any dependable red tome users at all. 21 4* henry and 26 4* sophia I guess, but young tiki is all the red magic fire power I need.

Who should I give poison strike 3 to? It seems wasted on Linde, who doesn't really leave survivors. I kinda wanna give it to Kagero but she already has the serviceable dagger-breaker. My main idea right now is to give it to Cecilia (especially when I can safely attack non-ranged red units and place Tiki or Fred in front to tank a hit) and give her a threaten skill. Atk, def, res, spd... any one of those would work well on her and take up her empty C slot.

Hmm, brash assault on tiki seems real good. It's a B skill and that slot is empty on her.

5 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

So the real question is... who is the best gronnblade candidate?

Honestly I'd probably say the best Gronnblade candidate currently is +Spd Merric, but if you don't have that then Nino. Bladetomes want Spd, and they don't care overly much about Atk because after you've buffed them sufficiently their damage will be overkill regardless of what their natural Atk is. I say +Spd Merric is better than Nino because of his similar Spd but decreased Atk and increased natural bulk. Ikaru knows more about bladetomes than I do though so he might have a different opinion. I know you have a couple of Linde's though, and she can make a pretty terrifying "Blue Nino" if you want. Hands down the best bladetome user in red is Tharja.

52 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Honestly I'd probably say the best Gronnblade candidate currently is +Spd Merric, but if you don't have that then Nino. Bladetomes want Spd, and they don't care overly much about Atk because after you've buffed them sufficiently their damage will be overkill regardless of what their natural Atk is. I say +Spd Merric is better than Nino because of his similar Spd but decreased Atk and increased natural bulk.

That's the opposite of true tbh. I use Bladetomes plenty but also the highest stat they value is attack because it's needed to push through some off-colour matchups especially on Infantry mages who have the least access to buffs. It's why Cecilia is actually a better Gronnblade users than Merric cause she gets WAY more power out Cavalry buffs in the first place.

Like Bladetomes are offensive tomes, and there's a reason Linde is the most powerful bladetome user in the game ((bar Ursula with Horse Buffs.)) her speed and Attack are both through the roof ((and well frankly blue is a better colour in the meta though green is becoming closer with the rise of the blues.)) honestly bulk is... pretty pointless on Bladetome users in ideal situations you'll never be hit and on iniatation you have desperation and they still can't answer back. It's also really easy with the less bulky ones to trigger their desperation state for free using Ardent Sac ((which can also give a nice spot of utility time to time.)) which Merric can't do. Gronnblade is better served on Nino where it starts off or on one of the other movement type mages ((Spring!Cam/Cecilia)) as they will just outperform Merric as his damage just won't be high enough.

Like the point of Blade tome builds is to ORKO and you just need more speed and raw power than Merric has for that to happen. and I should point out Merric is beat pretty hard by most other mages which changes the thing Merric worries about from Archers/Ninjas to mages. Mages are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more common as of now and as the thing that will most commonly actually be hitting him that's a super bad weakness to have.

Most builds of Merric are completely outclassed by all other options. There's very little reason to use him other than his Unique tome ((and effective versus flying is alright but it's not that insane.)) he's the lowest rated green mage in the game when considering SI, pretty much unanimously.

Let's jsut say this. Odin naurally has Blarblade and his attack and Speed are pretty much exactly the same as Merric's while he has balanced bulk. He's consdiered one of the worst characters in the game despite having access to the most sought after tome and Moonbow one of the most sought after specials. If Blarblade cannot save Odin from being bad it won't save Merric. Merric main and probably only niche will be his effective damage against fliers.

@Sheep, just to make sure you see it since I forgot it originally, the reason why you need raw attack is that Weapon Triangle is percent based, before defenses are subtracted. This makes -%s much more detrimental if you have a smaller base of attack. Also 35 is... sketchy at best for making sure you double. Nino with Darting Blow would double all of the unboosted meta ((other than +Spd Lon'qu)) without counting skills and has higher attack. Nino is probably the best infantry user of the gronnblade tome and I doubt that's going to change.

@Fabled Asian If you have a way to deal with Archers Gronnblade 100%. Due to how high Cam's nat attack is, even if she has -atk there is only 7 units in the game she can't defeat on initiation with Hone Fliers, Fort FLiers and a Goad Fliers boost in addition to Darting Blow ((which you want for the extra speed.))

However due to the -spd you'll lose a lot of KOs. So I imagine in this case running Raven is better ((and it espically is if never planning to run her on a flier team. Thing is Spring Cam is mostly made for flying teams she doesn't make much sense off them due to how much raw power she loses.))

1 hour ago, Hukuna the Undying said:

That's the opposite of true tbh. I use Bladetomes plenty but also the highest stat they value is attack because it's needed to push through some off-colour matchups especially on Infantry mages who have the least access to buffs. It's why Cecilia is actually a better Gronnblade users than Merric cause she gets WAY more power out Cavalry buffs in the first place.

Like Bladetomes are offensive tomes, and there's a reason Linde is the most powerful bladetome user in the game ((bar Ursula with Horse Buffs.)) her speed and Attack are both through the roof ((and well frankly blue is a better colour in the meta though green is becoming closer with the rise of the blues.)) honestly bulk is... pretty pointless on Bladetome users in ideal situations you'll never be hit and on iniatation you have desperation and they still can't answer back. It's also really easy with the less bulky ones to trigger their desperation state for free using Ardent Sac ((which can also give a nice spot of utility time to time.)) which Merric can't do. Gronnblade is better served on Nino where it starts off or on one of the other movement type mages ((Spring!Cam/Cecilia)) as they will just outperform Merric as his damage just won't be high enough.

Like the point of Blade tome builds is to ORKO and you just need more speed and raw power than Merric has for that to happen. and I should point out Merric is beat pretty hard by most other mages which changes the thing Merric worries about from Archers/Ninjas to mages. Mages are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more common as of now and as the thing that will most commonly actually be hitting him that's a super bad weakness to have.

Most builds of Merric are completely outclassed by all other options. There's very little reason to use him other than his Unique tome ((and effective versus flying is alright but it's not that insane.)) he's the lowest rated green mage in the game when considering SI, pretty much unanimously.

Let's jsut say this. Odin naurally has Blarblade and his attack and Speed are pretty much exactly the same as Merric's while he has balanced bulk. He's consdiered one of the worst characters in the game despite having access to the most sought after tome and Moonbow one of the most sought after specials. If Blarblade cannot save Odin from being bad it won't save Merric. Merric main and probably only niche will be his effective damage against fliers.

I disagree. 5* neutral Atk Merric with a Gronnblade+ sits at 39 Atk naturally, which is raised to 53 after being buffed by an Eirika with Seiglind, Hone Spd, and either Rally Def or Rally Res. At that point a +Spd Merric is sitting on 39 Spd (and you can always use his A slot to give him more if you want) and assuming he's going to double he will deal 46 damage to a unit that has 30 Res. The units that can live a round from said Merric naturally are Wrys, Felicia, Jagen, Lucius, Caeda, Sanaki, Clair, Sheena, Fir, Lilina, Leo, Lyn, Raigh, Sophia, Tiki (both), Roy, Selena, Hana, Nino, Olivia, Palla, Henry, Corrin (M), Navarre, Zephiel, Effie, Marth, Alphonse, Alm, Laslow, Lon'qu, Seliph, Stahl, Ryoma, Karel, Lucina, Draug, and Hinata. That might seem like a long list but it's fleshed out by a whole bunch of red units that you're likely never gonna see unless your opponent is a die hard fan of that character.

If we cut it down to relevant units we're talking about Sanaki, Lilina, Lyn, Tiki (both), Nino, Olivia, Zephiel, Effie, Marth, Alm, Ryoma, and Lucina. Assuming you have a decent red counter (which literally every team in the game should have by this point) then that leaves Nino and Effie. Nino under the exact same circumstances still fails to kill both of those units. Tiki A, Olivia, Marth, Alm, and Ryoma (assuming you have Desperation, otherwise you get put under by his Raijinto) are the only ones on that list that Nino can kill but Merric can't under those conditions. Personally I'd take the bulk and just bring a blue unit, you shouldn't be expecting your green units to beat their red units, and with that in mind it becomes a choice between a green mage with more bulk who can ORKO almost every relevant blue/green/white unit, and a green mage with less bulk who can ORKO almost every relevant blue/green/white unit.

That's the sort of context under which I say a bladetome user doesn't care about its Atk stat, even a low Atk mage can ORKO almost every relevant non triangle disadvantage unit as long as it has high Spd. With that being the case I'd look for high stats in places where they're going to matter.

On 4/21/2017 at 4:16 PM, Fabled Asian said:

man I HATE using Est, idk if it's just me but doing her quest was a chore since she would take heavy damage even against Ruby Swords.

My advice is to get the units to 20-25 range, use your normal team (and it is super helpful to have ones with Poison strike and Pain to chip damage who can't KO) so that until can finish off those high level units. Only takes an hour to do this (since I had crystals to waste, I used them to level up the pegs to level 20 since...you don't want to waste it on unit you WANT to use as you miss easy SP gains). Est was pretty easy to use but Catria...if she wasn't a 4 star I'd lost my mind.

@Sheep I think something to take into consideration is starting weapons as well since you have to sacrifice a five star to get the tome in the first place. Min-maxers don't care about that which is true, but look at who the Gronnblade is attached to. Nino. Nino is a glass cannon with a little bit more speed so combining that with a good stats buffer (she also comes with Hone Attack and Drag Back as well which are useful in and of themselves) she nukes the field, but a little more important: she has 7 more points in res than Merric (though Merric has a much higher defense which is why he'd basically be like Archer without the bow). It's also 45 vs 41 attack at base so the one with the higher speed wins. I also say Nino is better just due to the fact she has higher res so she has a small chance of surviving a mage attack (or one that can counter) since its mostly mages who do range stuff so def...is not too helpful unless you have like 0 hector counters.

Only issue Nino has is her low HP so my Takumi often comes in and snipes her due to her frailty, but if you know how to position...Nino is far superior. I've seen LoD boosted Nino with 61 attack and 52 speed (or something ridiculous like that). She's very, very scary with the right team behind her though she needs some babying just like the other Gronnblade users but even without the boosts she's not worthless in a fight. But basically she can one shot everything at the cost of being KO'd by a single hit while Merric can take a hit, but needs a lot more boosts to work with...and won't double the fastest units unlike Nino. I've seen both used in the Arena and Nino is much, much scarier to face (the day a feel threatened by a Merric will be an interesting one).

Looking at it...Cecilia and S!Camilla would be better if you had a specialty team (ie Cavaliers or Fliers), but...I'm gonna stick with Nino as the best blade user. Worst thing that could happen to her is that she gets OHKO'd if she's in range of someone else (cause let's face it she can ORKO everything in the game with a team dedicated to it basically) vs Merric who you pray the enemy doesn't have a fast unit and especially a fast flier...and you aren't around trees. It's just a basic Hinata vs Hanna (in Birthright not heroes). Nothing against you using and liking to use Merric, but Nino is better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Who should I give poison strike 3 to? It seems wasted on Linde, who doesn't really leave survivors. I kinda wanna give it to Kagero but she already has the serviceable dagger-breaker. My main idea right now is to give it to Cecilia (especially when I can safely attack non-ranged red units and place Tiki or Fred in front to tank a hit) and give her a threaten skill. Atk, def, res, spd... any one of those would work well on her and take up her empty C slot.

Hmm, brash assault on tiki seems real good. It's a B skill and that slot is empty on her.

For Poison Strike since I doubt you have Jaffar who imo is the best Poison strike user (I only have Poison Strike 2 and it is so good on him), I'd suggest someone who is designed to chip damage or is designed to attack units who can't counter attack. I guess it could technically work on Cecilia but...who knows. Kind of depends on how you handle Generals with weary fighter since that's the only thing that'd be super useful for on a mage. (And something is better than nothing).

For me personally, I'd go with a breaker skill (though I think I have pull back). She's way more useful going on the offense with a first attack with Armored Blow (shrugging off anything whose name isn't Nowi). Renewal isn't awful on her, but keeping her below 50% hp is dangerous just due to her speed. Personally I'd love to put Lance Breaker on her if I could because she'd be scary doubling lancers (Swordbreaker is worthless as Falchy is going to just rip her to pieces). I just looked at something...Tiki with +5 HP S-Skill plus Sword Breaker could kill a lucina. Risky as hell (since +atk or LnD Lucina would OHKO you) but...that's out there. Anything that helps her double is a good skill.

4 minutes ago, Commander said:

For Poison Strike since I doubt you have Jaffar who imo is the best Poison strike user (I only have Poison Strike 2 and it is so good on him), I'd suggest someone who is designed to chip damage or is designed to attack units who can't counter attack. I guess it could technically work on Cecilia but...who knows. Kind of depends on how you handle Generals with weary fighter since that's the only thing that'd be super useful for on a mage. (And something is better than nothing).

For me personally, I'd go with a breaker skill (though I think I have pull back). She's way more useful going on the offense with a first attack with Armored Blow (shrugging off anything whose name isn't Nowi). Renewal isn't awful on her, but keeping her below 50% hp is dangerous just due to her speed. Personally I'd love to put Lance Breaker on her if I could because she'd be scary doubling lancers (Swordbreaker is worthless as Falchy is going to just rip her to pieces). I just looked at something...Tiki with +5 HP S-Skill plus Sword Breaker could kill a lucina. Risky as hell (since +atk or LnD Lucina would OHKO you) but...that's out there. Anything that helps her double is a good skill.

Oh no, I rolled a 5* Jaffar in my first summoning round of that banner. He's good but super glassy. I've got one Saizo at 4* and he's got that poison strike 3. Poison strike would be great chip damage against any other greens or reds that I'll reluctantly have to attack so someone else can finish it off after. She hits hard but not so hard that people die every time. I'm still working on Rein or Linde as good substitutes.

As far as Tiki goes, she gets hit often after I lead an attack with her, especially with mages trying to trip away. It's not really a problem of getting her there or keeping her there. It's definitely on the order of when she gets there and there are still enemies left. Even at 50% or lower, she still tanks quite a lot and a guaranteed double hit is almost guaranteed to kill whatever she's attacking.

@Commander Yeah I can see that, but I usually go the babysit route where I have Unit I want to level + Dancer + Healer + Pain, but if I place Est in a bad position she just gets wrecked by anything. Catria and Palla finished their's in a breeze. Has there been any news of what they are going to do for May?

Edited by Fabled Asian

So.... I've heard of a few things as rumors.

Defense mode - Most route enemies in a set amount of turns

potentially permadeath?? (Considering people spend money on their summons. This better be situational if it exists at all.)

(disclaimer: all stats here are presented as neutral because I hate IVs)

The idea with Blade mages isn't to fix up a poor mage's weaknesses--it's to blow stuff up! With a dancer, you can eliminate two enemies in one turn, or take out one and retreat to do it again later. Plus, with Desperation, defenses don't matter. You take one (1) hit and then you rip through everything because nothing can live a blade-tharja double. Sure, high-res (whatever the advantaged color is) can technically live, and in some cases hit back, but that's what you have a team for.

Why would you even want a tanky blade-mage? It'll only make merric's attack go from "awful" to "mediocre". "mediocre" does not win games. 60x2 wins games.

(Also red is soooo much better for this than green 'cause most blue units have awful res and those that don't are mostly bad overall)

Let's look at Tharja, for example (because she's my favorite blade mage and one of the best three infantry for it IMO): She has 32 base atk+13 with her 5* weapon (45) with the same buffs you gave Merric (+14), so total 59. Also I threw in Darting Blow for a few more doubles+it's in her basic kit. Special is Vengeance but it doesn't trigger here.

Plug it into the mass duel simulator, who does she not orko?

-The fast and oddly tanky Lon'qu

-units with default saph spear/TA (relevant: Cordelia, Azura)

-peg knights (relevant: Cordelia and Clair but just for the next week 'cause Clair's SI fodder tbh)

-wary fighter armors (Effie, Zephiel)

-Odin with R tomebreaker

-Nowi, Gwendolyn, Peri, and Jagen, because who needs any of that crap when you have oodles of Res/HP (Relevant: Nowi)

-Survivor Count: 15.

-Relevant threats that live: SIX.

-Relevant meta threats that can even kill tharja next turn: THREE. 

-With a dancer? She KOs all of them. Except Odin. wtf Odin.

Notable units that Tharja KOs that merric doesn't: all those fast red swords, all those high-res colorless, High-res greens...

Notable against-TA ORKOs: Every blue mage and every blue infantry except Nowi and Azura.

So tl;dr Tharja smashes almost every unit in the game, and out of those that survive, every single one dies if tharja is danced (or to a strong breeze, in many cases). Plus, with a dancer and reposition, you can safely move your death artillery around the map, letting you assassinate single enemies and leave. With Desperation and a dancer, you never get hit unless you want to be (or on your first counter) so why would you care about defenses.

Merric, with darting blow/desper, fails to ko Thirty units. And, if you look down the list, it's all due to how slow he is. Blade mages need speed in order to get their blade procs doubled. Also, his defenses aren't actually that good, because he's so slow. 

Nino, same stuff, fails to KO fourteen units. She even OHKOs Effie and the Tikis! That's not the same KO list at all! 

Relevant units that Nino can't kill (by your standards of relevance): Hector, Ryoma, Lilinia, Sanaki, Zephiel.

Note who isn't on this list: Marth, Lucina, Alm, Lyn, Draug (who is actually a VERY relevant threat), Effie, the Tikis... A whole load of really scary threats that ms. does-her-best just trashes, where merric either fails to Ko or loses outright!

The ONLY reason to use bladetome on merric is because you like merric, nothing else. even then, you're still just a cut-rate Nino/Cecilia/S!Camilla.

Sorry for the rant but why would you put GB+ on someone with such terrible offenses whyyyyyyyy 

Also IMO tharja is the best blade mage for her ability to take one (1) hit from Kagero or Takumi, and also because she has TA on the relevant high-res mages (basically Julia and Nino) while still ko-ing the best blue mage (linde). also unlike linde she has the defense to revenge-KO a ton of non-brave attackers with her buffs up. 

------------------------------------------------------

RE: poison strike, IMO it's best used on an archer with Savage Blow and Firesweep Bow+. This lets you just chip down enemies with non-lethal damage over several turns with no counter-attacks.

Edited by doombotmecha

11 minutes ago, Chase said:

potentially permadeath?? (Considering people spend money on their summons. This better be situational if it exists at all.)

Defense mode and enemy reinforcements will be introduced soon.

But permatdeath will never be a thing in this game. I can guarantee it.

20 minutes ago, Chase said:

If you look at the news section (one called April and Beyond) they give clear indications what they are doing but as for GHBs were done until may which has Xander and Lloyd, yes the Lloyd from FE7 who is not in the game so far (also would like to point out Zephiel's data was incorrect in the data mining). Stats are not completely reliable from this, but they can give you a general idea.

Also as for the defense maps, I believe it will be based on classic FE defense ie you being overwhelmed while protecting a point in which you are bombarded with reinforcements for a certain turn count. If we could get six units for them that would be insane and fun as hell, but 4 is going to be a little tricky since well it's hard to form a barrier around a protect point (especially if it isn't a wall). Armors will probably best serve here so Hector and Zephiel and Effie and Sheena users will be happy. We'll have to wait and see. Reinforcements have also been confirmed, but again not confirmed if ambush or not.

Edit: it does indeed say "Defend against enemy for set number of turns" both this and reinforcements are for rules of combat.

As for the Permadeath thing I want to make this clear YOU WILL NOT LOSE UNITS IF THEY DIE! They announced a special type of challenge which they will use permadeath (maybe something like a gauntlet) which you would get or keep your units at the end even if they die, but will not be usable for the remainder of said challenge. We do not know more on this as of yet, but perhaps this will be the second half of the story they've released as we've only been getting teasers so far (and perhaps they'll give us FE4, FE5, FE8, and Tellius 3 and 4 star summons...oh and Gaiden. Can't forget about Gaiden).