FE Heroes Friend ID and Discussion Topic

Maelstrom

Honestly what I think is that -Def Effie is not good. 29 Def as a 5 star really isn't enough. If you're planning on using her as a Brave Lance+ nuker then she'll work fine, but for anything else it's really not a good Effie. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh boy, Zephiel, what am I going to do about you...

Oh wait, I have a team of level forties, that's what. I'll never lose another grand hero battle again!

The best I can suggest for this battle, is to be aware that the heavy armored characters can swap with the mages. This might make baiting them out a little harder. Besides that, try to make a choke point, and go ham on them.

You literally need any Blue Mage in the game and a dancer ((and Olivia has been free forever so you 100% should by now.)) and the entire map is invalidated. If you got Ursula and leveled her any you should 100% beat this GHB as it's probably the easiest one yet.

I at least got the three star Zephiel.

I went with Hinoka, Camilla, Tharja, and Ryoma.

The biggest problems I seem to have in GHBs are Mages. Allowing them to attack you hurts your chances on most maps. Take them out first and you have Zephiel and two Knights who are unable to give proper chase to your units - allowing your magic users to wear them down.

Ursula is fantastic, as blue units only really fear the AxeKnight and she's well able to outrun him. I imagine MRobin, Linde, etc work fine.

My strategy involved retaliation spam. Have Tharja/Ryoma counterattack Red Mage on first enemy phase. Draw out Blue Mage and kill him with Camilla/Ryoma, 2 space knights and try to position in a way Zephiel can't engage you. Kill Knights. Kill Zephiel by using 2 range units first and if you have to your 1 range for killing blows.

1 hour ago, Chase said:

Ursula is fantastic, as blue units only really fear the AxeKnight and she's well able to outrun him. I imagine MRobin, Linde, etc work fine.

They don't fear the Green at all really if you have a dancer since you just hit and then leave his range. ((and you still deal like... a lot of damage.)) I used my Linde, and neither of the mages could really do any damage to her and got destroyed by her counterattacks. and she killed all three armours with dances until down to the Axe Knight who I had to kite a bit more ((but still ultimately was in 0 danger of him doing anything.)) I imagine any blue mage would do similarly cause those mages have... rather low attack. Like Linde is squishie as hell and she wasn't taking much of anything.

MRobin has to probably be a little wary of being doubled by the mages I think, but he at least isn't weak to either's colour. He'll probably be fine most likely.

Spring!Lucina... pretty much the same as Linde.

Rein and Olwen, pretty sure it's obvious they will wreck this map as the two of them can double through Wary Fighter making the knights even more worthless. They probably destroy both of the mages as well.

I'm working on getting my Ursula to Five Star so I'll be able to have a proper blue mage. My Olivia is doing me huge favors now that she's also a Five Star, and does work well with the rest of my team (Cordelia, Camilla, and Jeorge.)

I'm kicking myself for not investing in mages sooner, but better late than Navarre right?

11 minutes ago, Combat said:

I'm working on getting my Ursula to Five Star so I'll be able to have a proper blue mage. My Olivia is doing me huge favors now that she's also a Five Star, and does work well with the rest of my team (Cordelia, Camilla, and Jeorge.)

I'm kicking myself for not investing in mages sooner, but better late than Navarre right?

considering Navarre is garbage... yes actually.

I'll note though Ursula is only really all that worth investing in for cav teams unless you just have 0 options otherwise. She's a bit under stated unless she's getting Cav buffs ((which in conjunction with Blarblade+ are sorta kinda a little disgusting.)) like with Just Blarblade and Hone Cavalry alone she becomes a hell of a lot better.

This GHB was a lot easier than the past few, but that's probably mostly because half of Zephiel's team is restricted to the painful Armor movement. It's easy enough to bait out the others and eliminate them, then pick off the knights with mage-dancer combos. 

28 minutes ago, Fabled Asian said:

@Sheep Sigh, I knew it was too good to be true, I did want her to be a Brave Lancer in the future, but ugh never lucky. I'll just have to hope for a new one. Thanks though.

I'll be honest -Def really isn't as bad as Sheep is making it out to be. Effie has Wary Fighter she's only going to get hit once by a majority of things and 29 still isn't that awful. I've said it plenty Effie... isn't a wall.  -defense ain't that big a deal. ((and there's plenty of 5*'s with lower defense naturally, not even as a bane that are used as well...hell some of them are the best units in the game currently.))

Like her just being +atk is pretty much merit to use her regardless. Ideally you want -speed but a - to any of her stats that aren't attack really aren't that big a detriment. On offense with Brave Lance... she'll probably almost never take counter damage. If she can be hit by multiple things on enemy phase... there's bigger issues than a defense bane.

15 minutes ago, 5hift said:

@Hukuna the Undying

Well 29 is pretty damn low for an armored unit. Some infantry units even manage to surpass 29 defense.

She's going to get picked off by green units and even some archers without being able to catch up with them.

Except... she doesn't get doubled unless taken below half so... she won't? Like unless you leave her in range of more than one thing it's pretty much impossible to oneshot her.

calcs for her against all base kits.

Spoiler

with Attack Boon, Defense Bane.

On Offense:KCYBkTE.png

On Defense:yCImPXM.png

With ideal, Attack Boon, Speed Bane.

On Offense:PZBW6gE.png

On Defense:LC6Y94i.png

There's... really not much a difference. All that chnages from having - Defense is you lose one more on defense. ((which is base Narcian)) and on Offense... it actually really functionally changes nothing what bane you have.

On top of this, Greens ((which aren't as good as fighting her as you think)) and archers can be handled by your other team members by either taking them out themselves or by using Shove/Smite to puch Effie into range of them. Like... you have three other team members. You have plenty of room to use other units to check any weakness Effie has. ((cause when you're in control of your unit you'll do a lot better than the AI with her. Armours are super duper extreme garbage in the hands of the AI.))

Well, my arena team wasn't doing it against even the lvl 30 challenge. Then I swapped in lvl 37 Linde and 32 Azura for dancing. Linde pretty much solo'd the whole thing except for when Tiki took out the green knight. Fred just kinda sat there and looked pretty, tbh.

I just really, really need to level up side characters. For a few weeks there I was only doing arena to keep increasing my tier ranking, or just working on 3 stars for inheritables. this new-ish 99 stamina thing is pretty nice.

Although my attention is getting split between raising up decent characters and trying to get those fliers for the challenge up to level to grab those orbs...

I beat Zephiel Lunatic!

Team was:

5* Ephraim with Swap and QR 2

Newly 5* Tharja (this is the same one from my old arena team) with Reposition, Desperation, and Threaten speed 2

4* lvl 34 Olivia with Hone Speed 2

4* Niles with Reposition and Fortify Res 2, My official Really Janky Unit for this GHB.

Desperation was Critical to the fight, since I got low picking off the red mage and then had to rely on Niles's special+a Desperation double to finish the blue mage. The mages are the real threat here, since you can kite the knights almost forever. Niles with his incredible Res and Iceberg was, likewise, a huge help. this is also kind fo ironic because, before I had a mage, Niles with Iceberg (with a tank between the two ofc) was my main way of dealing with armors.

4 hours ago, Hukuna the Undying said:

I've said it plenty Effie... isn't a wall.

Speak for yourself, my +Def -Spd Effie is a fantastic wall, and I'mma boost her up to 39 Def before too long. She very much can be a wall if you want her to, but there's no way a -Def one can.

7 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Speak for yourself, my +Def -Spd Effie is a fantastic wall, and I'mma boost her up to 39 Def before too long. She very much can be a wall if you want her to, but there's no way a -Def one can.

Not saying she can't but her stats are more skewed in the way of offense and the person was asking about a Brave Lance build on which Defense is pretty much irrelevant dude.

I agree in that I already said she'd be fine for the Brave Lance build, but I wouldn't say Def is irrelevant to that build. There are still going to be times when you're gonna need to take hits, and if -Def means a single hit drops you down below Wary Fighter's threshold then that's very much not preferable. I wouldn't use an Effie that's missing a large chunk of her Def for anything other than Brave Lance offense, and Brave Lance offense is difficult to do on a 1 mov unit without taking a hit first.

I don't really agree that much it's pretty easy to not take them if using it in conjuction with armour support. ((Shoves and Smites can keep her out of range of any retaliation until she's needed and punt her in for the attack. Her main weakness is ranged but mages more than anything else. and with a Brave Weapon she's going to hit twice first and on how high her attack is it's going to knock out most before she ever gets answered in return.)) It's honestly not all that likely that she'll be in that bad a position imo. I know it's not ideal... but it also doesn't really impact her gameplan that much.

Like if you want to replace Wary Fighter at all, ye it's hoooooorrible. ((Like it makes Quick Riposte just straight up not an option. I know some run it to have better Enemy phases.)) Just -4 def really doesn't runi her usabllity so much that's she's unusable by any stretch. ((by the way... I absolutely despise armours so much in Heroes.. I sacked my Hector to my Oboro. Like I legit dislike using armours, but I still know that they are good units and that in this case while it's definitely not an ideal bane to have, it's far from making Effie garbage or unusable. Like, there are some banes that jsut entirely ruin a units usefulness. This isn't a case where I think that's true personally.))

Also, as a note, I don't agree with you a lot Sheep, cause our priorities and playstyles are probably like suuuuuuuuuuuuuper different. But doesn't mean I don't value what you're saying etc as a note. ((tbh it's better people don't agree on things since everyone parroting the same thing tbh.))

Just from experience fighting Effies, -Def really isn't going to change her usefulness. Once her HP goes below 50%, she's going to die no matter what, but before that, it's very, very hard to one shot her due to wary fighter. My Lyn which has 26 Def and 29 Res usually can take a hit or two before going down with 37 HP but the thing to be careful about are mages and brave axes which she can take one before going down. If you know how to use healers then that defense problem will be negated but from personal preference, armors are hard to use in the game but Effie is definitely is worth training up if you have a 5 star (one more unit to select from is never a bad thing).

The reason I'm training Zephiel up is just due to me having so many glass cannons (Nino, Jaffar, Takumi, Reinhardt, Minerva) so I need someone who can take a few hits (Fae and Zephiel have really high stats in a certain defense) so that's what I'm looking into building. 29 is not a bad Def stat by any means I want to say again, but a number of infantry units can do something similar. Effie was really good before due to her two skills (both are not easy to get) along with smite, a fantastic skill to move around terrain (it's how I beat Navarre), and Weary Fighter counters her speed problem (which is why some people run brave lance). Lukas imo is better than her in terms of tanking, but she has her own niches. But hey, it could be worse. -Spd/-Atk are the two worst things that can happen to a unit. Though -Atk is what I'd argue is the worst thing that could happen to a unit.

Zeph, Effie, Hector, and Sheena would make for a cool armor team. But yeah...armours who aren't Hector kind of are a pain to use just due to the one movement (though that's an FE problem with them in general). Gonna be a good idea to train one up as Defense maps are coming as well as reinforcements (we do not know if they are ambush ones or not). Never hurts to have something that can tank two or three attacks.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways since I have a decent army, I almost have 20,000 feathers again. My army consists of Takumi, Minerva, Jaffar, Lyn (-Atk so she doesn't get used much), Y!Tiki, Fae, Priscilla, Reinhardt, and 4* Nino and Robin. Honorable mention to -Atk Merric who probably won't get used anytime soon.

I certainly do not need any Grey Units and Green units I have more or less covered, I'm debating between getting a Sword user or a Lance user. Anyways, here's the ones I'm looking into:

1. Zephiel: I don't have an armor and even though Tiki pretty much does this, I'd prefer a little bit of backup since most of my units with good Def around in the mid to low 20s

2. Eirika: Admittedly, Priscilla is kind of my supporter right now, but I really want to add her to the team just due to the fact I like her in SS. I don't rely on rallies too much, but I have in the past so rallybot 2.0 would be nice (RIP Nino) (-HP +Atk)

3. Sharena: Same reason as Eirika except for the fact I'd have a decent lance user on the team finally. It'd help if Reinhardt didn't have to run after every sword unit out there.

4. Cordelia: Minerva is my only flier so another might be nice. I don't sack 5 stars so...she's stuck the the brave lance as an FYI (-HP +Res though)

5. Shanna: She's a +1 and I discovered who Death Blow went to (I didn't think these things throw when skill inheritance was first announced). She went from horrible to...not bad with that skill and with a Killer Lance + might actually be scary. (Though she is -Speed +Res)

And Robin, while you are a bro, Reinhardt has your job covered until I can get enough feathers to promote you...after Eirika and Zephiel...and possibly Sharena if my roles are bad). I'm gonna try one more role with the Alm summon group before making a final decision, but those are the units I'm looking at. 

So, I've decided that I'm going to make Hinoka have some options. I have a regular Killer Lance available for her to equip already from sending Peri back to Nohr to inherit the possibility.

I was originally going to send home a 5* Catria - but I don't think I want to do that. Reason being, i may want to use another Killer Lance+ to sacrifice instead later, and another reason being is actually inspired by looking at Oboro so many times. Thanks Huk.

My team has a serious problem with knights. Particularly Red Knights, whenever Tharja isn't able to continue fighting. Ryoma doesn't hit hard enough, Camilla dies, and Hinoka doesn't hit hard enough.

However, there's a particular lance that does super effective damage to armored units - the Heavy Lance. I'm thinking of making Hinoka a Heavy Lancer and fulfilling another niche on my team. For now, I'll keep her Killer Lance because it lets me abuse her Rising Wind...thing, more often than the few times it goes.

---

In terms of mages, I have a MRobin in progress so that I can deal with arena matches a bit more often. MRobin isn't nearly as cool as Linde outside of the arena though, and while everyone likes them some Hector, I like his daughter Lillina a whole lot. That Bolgononne tome is ridiculously good. Also in the works is a Cecilia so I can have Gronnblade on a horse. It would be nice to pull Spring!Camilla next year though, because the terrain on these small phone maps can even ruin a cavaliers' day. Pulling Olwen and Leo would be pretty neat.

I don't have my eyes on fliers anymore. Having Hinoka and Camilla on the same team of four makes me smile of all the great memories Fates has given me and is more than enough, and I already have pulled all three Whitewings, with two of them usable. This leaves Minerva, who I feel is overshadowed by Camilla personally, Michalis, who was a GHB I didn't beat, and clearly inferior pulls. And Narcian, who isn't as good as advertised AND is a GHB I missed.

Armors, outside of maybe pulling Hector, have significantly slipped due to there not being "boots" upgrades in this game - or Move+1 (unless that's like a seal skill or something and I don't know.) I already have an Effie, Draug, and better than Draug in Zephiel - so pulling armors would need to be for quests.

Where. in Naga's name. Is Azura.

Lances I'm pretty good on now with Lukas and Oboro available to me, as well as Catria - but I would love to pull Ephriam.

I'm not really in need of sword units. I have Chrom, Seliph, and Ryoma - while working on Eliwood. It would be cool to pull Alm or Lucina, I suppose.

Colorless? I haven't gotten a single Saizo, let alone Faye, Lachesis, Elise, Sakura, Kagero, or Takumi. You know what I do have though? WRYS. - at least Priscilla is a cav heal.

---

Somewhat unrelated - Fire Emblem: Switch needs a cavalier or flying songtress. With Azura being noteworthy for her voice and not just her sweet dance moves - units, like Shigure, who would be an awesome singing Peg Knight if children were to be released in some batch in the future, could sing and have better move. Shigure doesn't need a lance as good as his mother's of course, but it should just be a thing. Heck, Ninian is a singing DRAGON.

Thanks @Sheep @Hukuna the Undying @Commander for your opinions on Effie, I think I'll hold off on her though since I have a Lukas atm. He's -HP +DEF so I'll just not use SP on Fortress Defense because at that point 46 Def seems pointless and rather give him +5 HP and Brave Lance instead. IDK what to do about B and C though.

8 hours ago, Chase said:

This leaves Minerva, who I feel is overshadowed by Camilla personally, Michalis, who was a GHB I didn't beat, and clearly inferior pulls. And Narcian, who isn't as good as advertised AND is a GHB I missed.

Image result for disbelief gif

Nah it's cool you do you but isn't Minerva just better than Camilla? With a 16 might killer weapon, 38 Spd all the time, physical bulk that is still comparable to Camilla's, and the potential to steal Desperation and Moonbow from an unsuspecting Shanna and Palla, she starts beastly and becomes utterly monstrous in two easy steps. The way I see it the only niche Camilla has over Minerva is Res, though I guess she can also quad stuff.

8 hours ago, Chase said:

Somewhat unrelated - Fire Emblem: Switch needs a cavalier or flying songtress. With Azura being noteworthy for her voice and not just her sweet dance moves - units, like Shigure, who would be an awesome singing Peg Knight if children were to be released in some batch in the future, could sing and have better move. Shigure doesn't need a lance as good as his mother's of course, but it should just be a thing. Heck, Ninian is a singing DRAGON.

This already exists and it's called Tellius herons, and yes it is broken. So broken that I don't think they'll go back to it anytime soon, though to be fair there are a number of things about the herons that make them broken that wouldn't be present in a modern FE game. Stuff like Canto and refreshing 4 units at once. Still, if you're looking for a flying refresh unit Reyson or Leanne are who you want. Not saying that Rafiel isn't good, but he kind of falls down on the flying part when untransformed. Also just an aside note Ninian wasn't able to transform into a dragon in Blazing Blade, she (like all GBA/Tellius dancers) couldn't fight. Dunno if you knew that. Also also Ninian is technically a dancing dragon, Azura was the first refreshing unit that used song rather than dance unless you count the herons but they're kind of weird. It's why everyone refers to the class in general as dancers, until Azura they all were. Actually I guess there was Elphin and Nils who were both Bards and used music to refresh people.