If I'm, say, soft-resetting for IVs/a hidden ability for an event pokemon, what kind of EV spreads should I expect? is it reasonable to assume that I could get a mon with mostly "good" (not perfect) IVs without SR'ing for three hours? what do "decent" IVs look like? and are single-digit offensive IVs a dealbreaker?

As DemICE said everyone has different standards

SRing for a hidden ability is not worth it in my opinion as you can simply use an ability capsule

For IV's on the other hand, you can always breed for them later (gendered pokemon can generally give you better IV's after breeding simply because you have more variety of pokemon to breed with apart from Ditto)

If you, however, don't want to breed then you will have to SR quite a bit. For your question on offensive IV's, Pokemon generally tend to favor one offensive method over the other i.e attack and special attack. If that favored stat is single digit, you know it could be better and hence SRing would be advisable.

I don't know if this is just my luck or how the game was designed but my event pokemon towards the start of the game had pretty bad IV's. However towards the end of episode 16, most of my even pokemon have a high average of around 25 in each stat.

Edited by Chessdude