Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

Ice Types

Kaze

Question

So, i have an ice type in a shiny Vanillite with weak armor. Is there a better ice type out there because i am going to be facing that damn Garchomp soon and we all know how that goes. So at the current moment...any good ice types?

13 answers to this question

An Ice type won't cut it for the Garchomp. You'll have to use another tactic, my suggestion is to find a Murkrow (it should be available at this point) and give it Prankster + Perish Song (you'll have to trade in a Swablu to breed the move onto it though).

If you want an Ice type for your team however, I suggest a Swinub since Piloswine is pretty strong and soon enough you'll be able to evolve it into a Mamo (just remember to give it Icicle Crash). Or if you don't want to wait for the move relearner you can breed AncientPower onto to it via a Dunsparce.

As far as I know the only Ice types available before Garchomp are Vanillite, Cubchoo, Swinub, Smoochum and Seel (provided you were lucky enough to get it over Cacnea back in Onyx Ward). None of these will do much good against Chomp except Seel which can come with default Perish Song.

Like Farnsworth said, you have better chances by cheesing it. Any combination of Perish Song/Destiny Bond with either Prankster or a Focus Sash should do the trick. Another strategy I like is to set up Leech Seed, with help of a Sash if need be, then just stall with low level Sturdy mons and watch Chomp slowly die.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and have fun.

Yeah like everyone is saying you won't be able to beat that Garchomp the regular method even if you got a really good ice type. Pretty much I really love the focus sash + leech seed + sturdy approach since I love seeing that damn purple land shark receive a slow, painful death >:).... that might of gotten a little dark but I really don't like that Garchomp and Garchomp is my favorite dragon type for Pete's sake!  

1 hour ago, Farnsworth said:

An Ice type won't cut it for the Garchomp. You'll have to use another tactic, my suggestion is to find a Murkrow (it should be available at this point) and give it Prankster + Perish Song (you'll have to trade in a Swablu to breed the move onto it though).

If you want an Ice type for your team however, I suggest a Swinub since Piloswine is pretty strong and soon enough you'll be able to evolve it into a Mamo (just remember to give it Icicle Crash). Or if you don't want to wait for the move relearner you can breed AncientPower onto to it via a Dunsparce.

Ok....so ipiloswine can evo with icicle crash? Interesting

Ok ok, so either perish song or destiny bond. Can't get Swablu until later...joy.  Oh! I got Seel from the egg...sweet...just too bad it can't pass that along.

I have a koffing, so focus sash(which i just found underground) with destiny bond....that should work. Back to the grind with him i suppose. I also have the kricketune....but i don't want it to go to 50 and not even listen to me...

13 minutes ago, Kaze said:

Ok....so ipiloswine can evo with icicle crash? Interesting

Ok ok, so either perish song or destiny bond. Can't get Swablu until later...joy.  Oh! I got Seel from the egg...sweet...just too bad it can't pass that along.

I have a koffing, so focus sash(which i just found underground) with destiny bond....that should work. Back to the grind with him i suppose. I also have the kricketune....but i don't want it to go to 50 and not even listen to me...

The koffing with a sash + destiny bond should work just remember to save before the battle in case of any surprises. Also to evolve Piloswine needs AncientPower, which it can get as an egg move or through the move relearner. Icicle crash is just its best ice type attack, but it only gets that as an egg move.

EDIT:

You don't need to grind the Koffing, just give him destiny bond and you'll be fine. Actually a lower leveled Koffing is preferred to ensure the KO. Why does this thing only get Destiny bond at level 40...

Edited by Farnsworth

5 minutes ago, Kaze said:

could it still work?

The Koffing or the Kricketune? Both should work with a focus sash, although for the Kricketune you'd have to level it up to 50 and then use common candies to bring it back down to a level below the cap.