[OOC] A Way With Words [Open]

Shamitako

Writing is a challenge, an art, and an expression. And expression of self and emotion. Emotion is a way of understanding oneself and others. Someone who cannot understand others cannot understand themselves, and someone who cannot understand themselves cannot understand others. So what then, should be done for a boy who cannot understand himself? He will never be able to understand others, he will never feel as they do. They are as aliens to him, and he an alien to them. Should this alien be cast out? He doesn't fit, he will never fit, what reason is there to try to make him fit? The logical answer is to exclude him, to cage him, to use any means possible to prevent this anomaly from harming the delicate system known as human relationships. But to some, the answer is not the logical one, but the emotional one. No one, no matter how alien they may seem, deserves to be excluded. To fix broken emotions, emotion must be used. And thus we come back to writing, a powerful expression of emotion. And here we come to you, one who writes.

Who you are is up to you, and you work tirelessly to share yourself with others. It could be that you write works of fiction, exploring stories that are separated from reality; maybe you are an aspiring journalist, someone who searches for truth; you could be in the business of persuasion, putting your convictions into words; or perhaps you simply record who your are in your day to day life using a journal. In any case, you have power. You understand yourself and the world around you, and you know how to show others how you feel. It's not really something most would call special, you just have a way with words.

~What?~

Okay, so, that was a longer introductory paragraph than I usually run, as evidenced by it being two paragraphs long. Let's see if we can make sense of this, shall we?

Welcome to A Way With Words, in this story you'll take the role of a young writer trying to help show an alien what it means to be human. A charity known as the Miracle Initiative has put out a call for help, looking for young writers--a group charged with emotion and passion--to help with this task. You are one of many who answered, and one of few who were actually brought in. You're being sent to an old mansion in the Midwest which has been refurbished to be largely self-sustaining, with what few supplies it needs being shipped in once a month. Here you will be utterly cut off from society, seeing only the staff, other writers, and the alien. The staff are allowed only to do their assigned duties and may not assist with advice.

See? It's really not that complicated, let's get to the NPCs.

~NPCS~

Quentin Freeman - The Alien

Spoiler

A mental patient who struggles to empathize with others. He's 15 and lives with his father, who has made unending efforts to help his son fit in with the rest of society. Quentin believes he is long past being a lost cause and that nothing will come of this, but he also wants deeply to understand the rest of humanity. If there is any feeling he can empathize with, it's that he, just like anyone else, wants to have a purpose in life

Naomi Gardener - The Librarian

Spoiler

The woman in charge of the mansion, she is stern and bossy. She wants to keep things running smoothly and is the one who will clean things up if they don’t. She is trained in armed and unarmed combat. Should the alien try anything, the chances of her going down before him are minimal. Her room has an emergency landline in it, just in case things go awry. She’s not actually very good at the librarian part of her job, so don’t expect much help finding books—assuming she’s in the library at all

Destiny Paroo - The Maid

Spoiler

A quiet and beautiful girl who works hard at her job. The maid is so lacking in presence that she almost seems like a ghost at times, it’s pretty much impossible to get in touch with her without asking the librarian to summon her. At least she keeps your clothes clean, maybe one day she’ll respond to the love notes you keep leaving on your bed for her...

Terrance Cooke - The Gardener

Spoiler

A kind, elderly man who is clearly concerned about how dangerous the alien could be. He’s not keen on talking because he fears he’ll end up breaking the rules, so he hides out in the garden. Chances are he’d break the rules and give you advice if you asked. The librarian refers to him as Father, although it’s unclear whether this is a title or if they are actually related

Carson Pennyworth - The Cook

Spoiler

The gardener’s polar opposite, the cook is a prideful young man with a short temper. He’s quite boisterous and will happily talk to any who visit his kitchen, so long as they don’t try to ask for advice about the alien, or worse, criticize his cooking

I may or may not do full essays for the rest of these at a later date. For now let's hit the technical bits. I spent four hours and wrote an essay for Quentin but then my browser crashed and it got completely deleted (nothing else tho >_>) , so you're stuck with this crappy paragraph. Sorry :c I'll make another attempt at him, as well as the staff, next time I have four hours to spare.

~Technical Bits~

Time

To make certain things progress, the RP will be split up into different internal time periods. For now there's no limit on how long you take within each interaction, but that may change in the future if things move too slowly. The RP shall be split as follows:

0800-1000 Breakfast

1000-1200 Free

1200-1400 Lunch

1400-1600 Free

1600-1800 Free

1800-2000 Dinner

2000-2200 Free

2200-0800 Night

During each free period, you may make one interaction with either a PC or NPC. As you are limited, please coordinate with the other players to avoid stepping on each others' toes. Meals will be large interactions involving everyone, you will not be required to stay for the entire interaction and may leave at any time.

Rules

• Be respectful of the other players. This RP is for everyone, not just you
  • Be respectful to me. While this is for everyone, I do still have the final say
  • Full paragraph posts are required here, this is about writing after all. Five sentences, count all dialogue as a single sentence, you'll do fine
  • Clean content, Reborn accepts a level of sexuality, violence, and cursing a bit beyond what might be acceptable elsewhere, but none of these should ever be the focus of your writing
  • Ask questions, I always forget stuff and I hate having to correct people after the fact

Joining the RP

And now for the fun part, joining the RP. There is no character sheet, rather, I request a three (five at the most) paragraph essay written in first person from your character's point of view. Have them talk about themselves, show what's important to them by what aspects of themselves they decide to talk about. I won't be checking your grammar, if I did I'd have to check mine. Age range is 14-17, other than that you can do whatever (and the age doesn't have to be in the essay if they don't want it to be BTW).

To avoid making you spend four hours writing an essay for nothing, please PM me with a short summary of your character concept and I'll work you through to where the character is passable before you being writing.

And again, I promise to have another go at the NPCs when possible, this isn't a request I only make of you guys.

With Hope,

Lexi

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a fourth (don’t ask what happened to the third set of paragraphs) set of first person style for me to mull over

I don’t know how to end this one, which is not very uncommon, it has something to do with the dreams I base them around, I find it quite hard to think of a way to properly end a story that I can only vaguely remember, and to be quite honest, I don’t think this one had an ending; I mean; it technically ended with me being shook awake as the hero approaches the villain’s throne, but that’s not exactly a satisfying ending is it?

I know that dreams never make any sense, and that the really good ones don’t…end, they just keep going as it tries to draw you in closer and closer, until somebody shakes you awake, or an alarm goes on, and everything goes down the drain. I don’t really like that part, which is why every day, when I wake up, I take the tiny bit of the dream I had, and I sit down and write, or at least try to.

I am very embarrassed to say that me getting to the point where I need an ending is a fairly new experience, or at least a very, very, very, very! Uncommon one, they uh, tend to lose focus about halfway as I start to ramble; I don’t really know why, but I tend to go off on weird tangents and start out with a plot about a guy visiting his family and end up describing the various reasons why you shouldn’t use peanut butter when brining pickles. And yes, that is a real thing; that happens.

Wait this wasn't the random shitposting section of the whole writing thing.

I meant, this is an actual character that I actually would have played if this was a thing, his name would have been William.

If you asked me what I’d say I am, I would most likely say, “Ray Reuvinson, age 16, student who goes to the school down the road.” Just plain, simple facts one might find looking a name tag, or a simple profile. Not much, really.

But if you asked me, “Who are you?” things get a little stranger. Identity is such a fickle thing, but I have hazarded to define myself upon 3 humble words. I believe that I am a medium for a myriad of worlds to pour out their songs and hearts and souls through. I am a dreamer who places these stories upon the night sky. And I am a visionary who simply tells people to look up, so that they may see the night sky and place their own stories among the stars.

I am not a very outspoken person. Perhaps a little shy of being anti-social. But I believe that if I may provide solace to at least one person in the world, one precious soul among a sea of lives, then that is good enough for me.

Edited by AGuyPassingThrough

On 2017/1/3 at 7:39 AM, AGuyPassingThrough said:

If you asked me what I’d say I am, I would most likely say, “Ray Reuvinson, age 16, student who goes to the school down the road.” Just plain, simple facts one might find looking a name tag, or a simple profile. Not much, really.

But if you asked me, “Who are you?” things get a little stranger. Identity is such a fickle thing, but I have hazarded to define myself upon 3 humble words. I believe that I am a medium for a myriad of worlds to pour out their songs and hearts and souls through. I am a dreamer who places these stories upon the night sky. And I am a visionary who simply tells people to look up, so that they may see the night sky and place their own stories among the stars.

I am not a very outspoken person. Perhaps a little shy of being anti-social. But I believe that if I may provide solace to at least one person in the world, one precious soul among a sea of lives, then that is good enough for me.

As requested in the OP, please PM me a summary of what you intend to do with your character before you continue writing here

• 4 weeks later...

I am just going to assume that this RP is dead for now, which is a crying shame really, good luck with your other efforts Lexi~, not really sure why I am necroposting to be honest, here, have a tiny bit of bad writing.

Spoiler

No one ever knows how they truly seem to people don't they? I personally believe that I am quite a good looking man, which says a lot about my self confidence doesn't it? How I just said that despite how some people apparently find the way I don't cut my black hair short to be offensive? and how some people think my brown eyes would look better if I chose not to wear glasses? I haven't told you about my fashion sense now have I? How I don't have one, I generally just get up in the morning and put on something that my brain recognizes as a shirt, alongside two things that my brain recognizes as pants and underpants, and maybe put on a pair of the same red, white, and blue (USA! USA! USA!) running shoes alongside the cleanest sock I can find?.