Do you ever step out without a pen?

Ironbound

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you leave home without a pen or other instrument of writing?

• Yes, I don't usually have a pen or pencil on me
    • No, I usually make sure to carry a pen.

Outside of travelling to/from school, I don't usually have a pen on me. Generally, in most situations where I might need to write something in a public place (filling out a form or something similar), a pen will be provided. Otherwise, if I need to make a personal note, I can always do so on my phone (I try never to leave the house on a low charge).

Edited by Spineblade

Honestly it depends on what you mean by a 'pen'

Are you talking about a metaphorical pen, as in a utensil to convey your thoughts with? Then absolutely do i carry such a utensil with me. Stuff like a pencil, a paintbrush, a keyboard, my voice. All tools used one way or the other to convey messages and thoughts.

If your talking just about a pen, then no i do not carry a pen with me at all times. Sometimes i like the feeling of a pencil, or a paintbrush to convey my thoughts. Other times, i dont feel like writing, and as such use other things to convey my feelings, like a keyboard.

Honestly it depends on what you mean by a 'pen'

Are you talking about a metaphorical pen, as in a utensil to convey your thoughts with? Then absolutely do i carry such a utensil with me. Stuff like a pencil, a paintbrush, a keyboard, my voice. All tools used one way or the other to convey messages and thoughts.

If your talking just about a pen, then no i do not carry a pen with me at all times. Sometimes i like the feeling of a pencil, or a paintbrush to convey my thoughts. Other times, i dont feel like writing, and as such use other things to convey my feelings, like a keyboard.

A pen is a pen is a pen. I specifically meant an instrument to write (or draw as the case may be) with, not a metaphorical channel of communication in a broad sense.

yeah i mean the only reason I'd carry a pen around is if i was being

because writing is pretty last century

The day writing is considered 'last century' by humanity as a whole is the day I embark for Mars, if I live to see such a time.

I don't know for others (which is why I decided to ask y'all) but I've been brought up to never leave the house without a watch, a handkerchief, a pen and, if you have glasses, a cloth to wipe them with. The value of the pen, especially, was impressed upon me by my grandfather; not only is it a necessary part of one's attire in one's line as a professional (moreso for me as I am an accountant), but it is a mark of one's character as an educated human being. To be unable to sign one's name or to write when the need calls for it, and to have to hunt around for an instrument, was to him nothing less than disrespectful to the self.

While my own views are less extreme, especially since it is (sadly) true that times have indeed changed, I agree with my grandfather's view of the pen as indispensable to a professional. I make sure to always have a pen on me; usually one of the collection he's passed on to me. (I'm partial to a slim, black Cross)

The pen is to be respected. There's all the world of difference between a tool and an instrument.