NX Grand Reveal

nepeta100

Out of curiosity, am I the only one whose planning on investing on one after the release the secondary version? I know the Wii go remade at some point, and the 3DS got not one, but two new versions (XL and New 3DS). I feel like that would be a safer bet, since they'll probably improve the hardware in some way, but I'd like to know if others are considering this?

Seeing as I'm not getting it, it would make sense for me to wait for them to wow me with critical improvements.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently no futher news is going to be released this year about the nintendo switch if im hearing this right. uhh what excuse me what

clearly, it's not ready yet and probably has issues besides the battery life to work out. And I imagine they're waiting to have more titles at launch.

Yeah I know GS made XD, that's why I said spiritual successor and how dare you call them random-ass those games were great!

From doing a quick google search told me that the games were made by a developer called Genius Seniority. They also made Pokémon Battle Revolution, Trozei, and Shuffle. Most of their games received 6.5/10 reviews across the board.

I revisited the games a few years back and they have a bad case of nostalgia goggles. They didn't age well and gen three mechanics are annoying to revisit. Even back then I thought the games were sluggish and took forever to get from point A to point B. The animations were repetitive and long. And the story was dull despite being in a cool Trigun esque setting. I did appreciate the fact that the games used double battles as a primary format though.

Lastly emulation feels like a must have for the switch. It is most likely one of the best platforms to buy and download virtual console and indie games to play on the go. It is also worth noting that the market totally exists. I personally rather buy and download GameCube and GBA games on my Switch than emulate them through some potentially illegal pirated emulator and carry them on some big clunky lap top or a jail broken phone or tablet.

Also implying that pirated emulation is the way to go would suggest that the casual audience would know how or where to do that or care enough to do that. Nintendo is not only a company that caters to gamers, but to family audiences as well. You would be surprised how little of a market the "gamer audience" is compared to the casual or family audience.

So there's skyrim... and then nintendo's skyrim clone. Which probably has fewer weapons and abilities, much more narrow and mundane npc interactions, much easier enemies, inferior graphics, and predictably thin storyline. But it looks shiny, right?

Cvez4ZIXYAEueiX.jpg

Think about it.

• Veterans

So there's skyrim... and then nintendo's skyrim clone. Which probably has fewer weapons and abilities, much more narrow and mundane npc interactions, much easier enemies, inferior graphics, and predictably thin storyline. But it looks shiny, right?

Cvez4ZIXYAEueiX.jpg

Think about it.

Hey.

It might have Tingle.

That's good right?

Praise him.

Cvez4ZIXYAEueiX.jpg

Think about it.

Brah, the big perk is being portable and easier to carry around than a laptop. As well as being able to play triple A games on the go.

I like how Mael and Godot are already trashing this thing - but I will admit, it seems like it's a potentially problematic console.

I won't be very pleased by having Nintendo centralize both it's handheld -and- console sales on the Switch because I'm really only a Nintendo fan due to the handhelds. However, -IF- the handheld-centric titles (Pokemon) are done really well, then there's the added bonus of having a home console built in - which is just awesome.

Essentially, the Switch is anywhere from a begrudging purchase to continue my Pokemon addiction in the future - to being the greatest Nintendo product I've ever owned.

I hope it's reasonably priced.

---

On Skyrim (Perception: +)

As someone who hasn't sold their soul to Bethesda over this game, it might be an interesting time to really make my relationship with Skyrim my own instead of experiencing it on someone else console in short spans of time.

It also indicates - hopefully - that Nintendo is paying attention to the success of other consoles flirting with third party systems.

Some of my fondest memories of the first Wii were sports titles, from Electronic Arts' NCAA Football to Mario titles such as Superstar Baseball.

If there are better relationships with devs fostered through a much better approach to third party titles, the Switch conceivably becomes the best console to play sports titles on because the potential to field every major sports game is there.

This goes on to fighters as well. If relationships with third party developers improve, I could conceivably pick up things like Tekken or Mortal Kombat to play alongside Nintendo's Smash Brothers. Something I haven't really done since the GameCube era.

On Backwards Compatibility (Perception: ?)

Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but given the Switch's ability to be a portable system -and- a home console, doesn't that mean that it's possible it succeeds the 3DS as well as the Wii U?

Now, I know that Wii U games are discs and it doesn't appear the Switch will be able to run them, but 3DS games are indeed cartridges, giving THOSE games the potential to be backwards compatible more so than the Wii U titles.

It means a world of difference between having to wait for the next Smash installment or getting to play your 3DS version of the game on the Switch if that's the case (for those who like Smash, I realize it's not the same as the Wii U version and that matters too.) It would be nice to be able to continue your 3DS campaign of Pokemon Sun/Moon on the Switch when it comes out. Fire Emblemiers would be able play both Awakening and Fates on their television screens if those are compatible.

I guess what I need to say is that there's some substantial reason to be hopeful in that the Switch might be Nintendo trying to cover a ton of ground in merging what works to help what hasn't been working. The Big N does a great job in the handheld department and using it to prop up sales elsewhere just seems really smart to me.

That being said, I don't think you should take my word for it at all. I know nothing, but I can dream.

On new titles (Perception: -)

Call of the Wild should be one of the biggest games on the system on launch. This will be supplemented by a bunch of smaller titles such as the next Mario platformer (which some may argue are still gems - but I happen to think it's rinse-and-repeat at this point.)

I don't have high hopes for the game library at first. What will need to happen to supercede my expectations is to appeal to the whole family by bringing in the third party titles - maybe even some shocking ones like Fallout or something - while having as many kid-friendly and sports titles as possible.

I don't think the game library is going to be all that great at first.

Portability really isn't a selling point for me.

Name some times where you're sitting and waiting during the day with nothing to do over an extended period of time so you pop out your 3ds. Chances are, you're at home for this.

How often do you take trips on airplanes or buses?

You think you've got time to do all that much during short work breaks?

yearly dental checkup and doctor's appointments?

maybe if you have long breaks between college classes? I'd do my homework then, instead of at home where I could be playing my console.

Portability sounds nice on paper, but it's actually rather niche.

Subjective.

- I travel to different places for work and usually arrive quite early.

- I am not a typical console gamer, playing portable games even in situations consoles are feasible.

- Yes.

- Not really, but it really doesn't matter all that much because the Switch will work for all occasions and I would just need to move the materials from place to place. That's one of it's better features. Even if gaming on the go isn't as doable, the Switch allows you to go with the games easier than other console systems.

- Check-ups? Absolutely.

It's not riveting that it's a portable game system. It's riveting that it's a convertible game system that works on the go -and- at home in connection with your television screen without requiring all of that extra hardware.

---

I can understand exceptions with apparent specs and conversion of typical console titles, but I feel like those will be addressed at least after the initial launch.

Passable, for me, is the bottom line.

- I am not a typical console gamer, playing portable games even in situations consoles are feasible.

Well, yeah, who doesn't sit at home playing 3ds games and whatnot. But this new system doesn't have the dual screen or touch screen of the ds. we lose some of the things the 3ds could do. The games and functionality that made you want to take it with you even if you weren't actively playing (streetpass) are some of the things that make it great.

I hope so. If I were to get it, it may be that I play 3DS games until I can pay for a new game (unless I am able to get a bundle)

It would be -REALLY- cool if they could go backwards compatible with both the Wii U -and- the 3DS. That's a good sign for the system moving forward in my opinion.

I've heard that it's been stated by a Nintendo rep that the switch won't be backwards compatible with either console

Physical copies, they said it in a very vague loophole-y way.