So I just got back from the movies...(interest check)

Skullkin

So I just got back from seeing that Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children movie, and it was pretty good. I came up with an idea for a peculiar kid of my own while watching. So here I am, wondering if this would be a genre people might be interested in. It would basically be just like a gifted roleplay, but with time travel and hollows and junk.

In case you've never seen it but still want to rp it for whatever reason, here's some info on what the series is about. Or, yknow, pick the book up at your local library for free and read it.

here's the wikia for the universe

and here's the wiki for the movie/book. Spoilers ahead.

(I'd type out all the information for you on this forum myself, but I'm not a patient teacher. :| Plus, it would be a waste of time if people aren't even interested in the first place.)

As for plot and setting and whatnot, we can all contribute to that if there's enough interest.

Edit: Fixed the links

Edited by Skullkin

While I'm probably not in the best position to give this out, I'll just say this: it's important to elaborate your ideas at least to the point where your audience gets a clear picture of what you intend to do and what is offered in this RP. "It would basically be just like a gifted roleplay, but with time travel and hollows and junk" doesn't exactly paint the most vivid picture of what you intend to establish.

Some food for thought that's debatably necessary would include stuff like this:

-What's the setting/theme of this RP? What's going on and what are you, the host, and us, the RPers, are to do within this established world?

-Give a template for character creation. Is this a setting where we're just normal people or do we get powers or something questions, etc.

-What important mechanics do your RPers require to know?

You don't have to be super specific and elaborate about it, but at least outline something basic. Many OOC threads are great examples of how RPs are to be established scattered around this forum, so you could always check them out for ideas. More often than not, the more information given to RPers in an interest check, the more interest it may attract and spur.

Edited by Noir

While I'm probably not in the best position to give this out, I'll just say this: it's important to elaborate your ideas at least to the point where your audience gets a clear picture of what you intend to do and what is offered in this RP. "It would basically be just like a gifted roleplay, but with time travel and hollows and junk" doesn't exactly paint the most vivid picture of what you intend to establish. [/size]

Some food for thought that's debatably necessary would include stuff like this:

-What's the setting/theme of this RP? What's going on and what are you, the host, and us, the RPers, are to do within this established world?

-Give a template for character creation. Is this a setting where we're just normal people or do we get powers or something questions, etc.

-What important mechanics do your RPers require to know?

You don't have to be super specific and elaborate about it, but at least outline something basic. Many OOC threads are great examples of how RPs are to be established scattered around this forum, so you could always check them out for ideas. More often than not, the more information given to RPers in an interest check, the more interest it may attract and spur.

I have yet to decide on any of this. This is simply an interest check to see if this topic is even viable, not an ooc thread for joining. Also, character template? In my day, we didn't need a template. We just wrote down what we thought was important to know about our characters and left it at that. We didn't need the host to hold our hands and tell us what we needed to write. >_>

Kids these days. *shakes old man cane at noir*

x3

But really, if you've seen the movie or read the book, then you know what to expect of this already.

Edited by Skullkin

I have yet to decide on any of this. This is simply an interest check to see if this topic is even viable, not an ooc thread for joining. Also, character template? In my day, we didn't need a template. We just wrote down what we thought was important to know about our characters and left it at that. We didn't need the host to hold our hands and tell us what we needed to write. >_>

Kids these days. *shakes old man cane at noir*

x3

But really, if you've seen the movie or read the book, then you know what to expect of this already.

Well, yes, it's not, but you can't expect everyone to have seen the movie or read the book unless it's extremely popular. You can expect us to do research about it but elaborating it can help people reading your interest check in the event that they're not knowledgeable of the movie you're basing this idea from. The idea of the RP at question stays vague regardless and the lack of information in an interest check is still sort of an issue. If you want to determine if the topic at hand is viable and see how popular it is a few sentences won't do you that much good since people reading this aren't informed clearly of what the RP would be like. It's not as much the matter of the viability of the genre as it is on what makes your RP unique, what is going to happen, and what's important/interesting about it. Little is being said about your intentions apart from "I just watched this movie and wanted to base an RP on it" which like I have said doesn't give the best impression of what your RP's gonna look like.

Things have grown to be more organized these days and all OOC threads have at least some form of character template that's required to be filled for an RPer's participation. This isn't to say "the old day methods" were bad nor this is something that's necessarily mandatory, but I can tell you that it's really beneficial to how an RP takes place.

To put this back on topic, if I am to be interested more information needs to be given.

Edited by Noir

Well, yes, it's not, but you can't expect everyone to have seen the movie or read the book unless it's extremely popular. You can expect us to do research about it but elaborating it can help people reading your interest check in the event that they're not knowledgeable of the movie you're basing this idea from. The idea of the RP at question stays vague regardless and the lack of information in an interest check is still sort of an issue. If you want to determine if the topic at hand is viable and see how popular it is a few sentences won't do you that much good since people reading this aren't informed clearly of what the RP would be like. It's not as much the matter of the viability of the genre as it is on what makes your RP unique, what is going to happen, and what's important/interesting about it. Little is being said about your intentions apart from "I just watched this movie and wanted to base an RP on it" which like I have said doesn't give the best impression of what your RP's gonna look like.

Things have grown to be more organized these days and all OOC threads have at least some form of character template that's required to be filled for an RPer's participation. This isn't to say "the old day methods" were bad nor this is something that's necessarily mandatory, but I can tell you that it's really beneficial to how an RP takes place.

To put this back on topic, if I am to be interested more information needs to be given.

It's rather complicated in some parts, so...

http://thepeculiarchildren.wikia.com/wiki/The_Peculiarchildren_Wiki here's the wikia for the universe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Peregrine%27s_Home_for_Peculiar_Children and here's the wiki for the movie/book

go nuts.

Hihi, am Lexi, I like to make with the advices when I see interest checks. Feel free to ignore me

So first off, you should edit the title so it actually has some indication of what this is an interest check for

You really need to add more details somehow, you can't just say, "I saw this movie would anyone like an RP based on it." It's alright if you haven't sorted out the plot or even the mechanics of the RP, but you should at least write up some sort of explanation of what the movie is about so that people who haven't seen it can get a basic understanding. In fact even if people have seen it, it helps a lot if you explain it anyways, since the parts that you pick up on and find interesting may be different from what others take interest in--creating a dissonance in the player's expectations and your intentionsI full

I fully understand if you don't want to put in the work to design the plot or setting before you know if people care, but right now it's a hassle to pick up on even the basic concept that you want to build off of

~~~

Speaking for my own personal interest, I may consider it in the future, but right now I have a less than zero idea of what you want this RP to be about so I can't state my opinion on whether or not I would join

Hihi, am Lexi, I like to make with the advices when I see interest checks. Feel free to ignore me

So first off, you should edit the title so it actually has some indication of what this is an interest check for

You really need to add more details somehow, you can't just say, "I saw this movie would anyone like an RP based on it." It's alright if you haven't sorted out the plot or even the mechanics of the RP, but you should at least write up some sort of explanation of what the movie is about so that people who haven't seen it can get a basic understanding. In fact even if people have seen it, it helps a lot if you explain it anyways, since the parts that you pick up on and find interesting may be different from what others take interest in--creating a dissonance in the player's expectations and your intentionsI full

I fully understand if you don't want to put in the work to design the plot or setting before you know if people care, but right now it's a hassle to pick up on even the basic concept that you want to build off of

~~~

Speaking for my own personal interest, I may consider it in the future, but right now I have a less than zero idea of what you want this RP to be about so I can't state my opinion on whether or not I would join

http://thepeculiarch...archildren_Wiki here's the wikia for the universe

https://en.wikipedia...culiar_Children and here's the wiki for the movie/book

Is it really a hassle to just click some links?

Edited by Skullkin

Yeah, no, I'm not just going to throw myself at the wiki and hope it means something to me

~~~

If you're not going to take the time to explain the bare minimum of information, you can't expect anyone to take the time to play

If you're going to provide wiki links as your only source of information, at the very least you need to link to the specific parts that will be helpful in understanding the roleplay. For example, you mentioned hollows (whatever those are), you could link to the wiki page that talks about them. Right now you may as well be saying, "Go watch the movie."

As a general thing: Whenever someone asks you a question in the thread, you should expand upon the missing information in the interest check's original post in addition to answering them in the thread, that way you won't get repeat questions

Yeah, no, I'm not just going to throw myself at the wiki and hope it means something to me

~~~

If you're not going to take the time to explain the bare minimum of information, you can't expect anyone to take the time to play

If you're going to provide wiki links as your only source of information, at the very least you need to link to the specific parts that will be helpful in understanding the roleplay. For example, you mentioned hollows (whatever those are), you could link to the wiki page that talks about them. Right now you may as well be saying, "Go watch the movie."

As a general thing: Whenever someone asks you a question in the thread, you should expand upon the missing information in the interest check's original post in addition to answering them in the thread, that way you won't get repeat questions

You might as well go see the movie. It's really good. You get to see Samuel L Jackson eat eyeballs. x3 Plus it's a Tim Burton flick, and who doesn't love a tim burton flick? Especially given the Halloween season coming up...

But anyway, I myself generally don't roleplay things unless I already know something about it. And if I don't know anything about it but it sounds interesting, I do the research myself. I don't just demand the host to do all the work for me. Because they probably have more important things to do, like coming up with plot ideas to bounce off people who are interested, or ideas for the setting, the time period, etc. Because if people are interested, then I'm going to have to do a lot of work putting this together, and I won't have time to go and spell every detail out for people who haven't seen/read it, who may not even be interested in the first place.

I'm already giving you a link to the wiki to find out for yourself about everything. Why should I be so invested in teaching you about this book world and putting together this whole darn roleplay when you aren't invested enough to learn for yourself? It takes less than an hour tops to go through the information, maybe more if your computer is a fossil.

Not to mention the fact that I have a lot of responsibilities as an adult in college, and my time is limited.

Edited by Skullkin