Week 6 Matchups - Death's Dance

CaelgNx.png

It is said that in the end of days will be marked by fire, famine, and disease without relief. Well this week we have at least 2 of those. Every pokemon must hold a sticky barb. Additionally there will be no recovery allowed of any sort (Through Items, abilities, or draining moves). (Recaps/tl;dr will be in disclaimers) All battles will be OU this week. Any pokemon excluding ubers is permitted.

Update: Item requirement changed to STICKY BARB

To avoid confusion here will be a comprehensive ban list:
Pokemon: Volcanion, Thundurus-T, Tornadus-T
Abilities: Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Dry Skin, Regenerator, Magic Guard, Rain Dish, Ice Body, Klutz, Poison Heal
Moves: Fling, Knock Off, Rest, Heal Order, Milk Drink, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft Boiled, Wish, Healing Wish, Lunar Dance, Leech Seed, Absorb, Mega Drain, Giga Drain, Draining Kiss, Drain Punch, Dream Eater, Horn Leech, Parabolic Charge, Pain Split, Leech Life, Oblivion Wing

If I miss anything, please let me know.

The matchups will be as follows:

(5-1) Kingdom of Avalon Amazon Nation (4-2)

(4 - 2)

Nhadala vsBazaro

Secundum vsDrymus

Acecy vsHYCROX 420

Arkhidon vsQuinn

TRHStatement vsDashingStorm

TimTim vsSheepish

Swimming95 vsSwampellow

Replacements:

Kingdom of Avalon: Wendel, Dhanush, DavidPWNs -- Amazon Nation: Spade, Huggyboo, Bluewolf

(2-4) Gaia Nation Nation of Atlantis (3-3)

(2 - 5)

nickcrash vs Lugruf

Taska vs DragonMasterKrim

TarTar vs Inno

TheDW66 vs xXTizaraXx

Dragon116 vs Cyanna Cyril

pbood2 vs mde2001

Sheep vs Sinikuro

Replacements:

Gaia Nation: Roswell, Dark Desire, Vex -- Nation of Atlantis: Cowtao, RudeStyle, ReploidZero

(1-5) Phantom Vulcan The Ravenholts (3-3)

(2 - 5)

Sonata vs Odybld

Azery vs Cobalt996

YinYang vs IntSys

NovaKnight vs YoshiOfDarkness

Simon vs Mikzal

Imperial vs Trevore

Reignited'Light vs Jacobliterator

Replacements:

Phantom Vulcan: BIGJRA, Rosesong, mar_mar -- The Ravenholts: Cool Girl, Kamina, Cronos5010

LEADERS: Please send me your SEVEN participants and THREE substitutes as soon as you are able. Once I have the contestants for all 6 nations, matchups will be randomized and posted here. To Victory!

DISCLAIMERS:
See the bans list above.

Have Questions? Please leave them in green below and we'll answer them to the best of our abilities.

*Thanks Zumi for awesome logo!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Trick, and other moves that switch items with your opponent be allowed? What about Fling?

So long as your pokemon has been afflicted with a status at the point in which the move is used. In other words, no shenanigans with a steel type using trick against something with a toxic orb. If you yourself are responsible for your pokemon not being afflicted with a status that is able to damage it, then you will forfeit.

If your opponent used Knock Off, then that's beyond your control and very likely their loss. Knock Off will be allowed.

Why are moves like Facade/Hex etc banned while abilities such as Guts/Quick Feet are not?

The door isn't completely closed on this and it's something that we may decide to change between now and Sunday, but for the time being assume the rules as is.

The reasoning is that Facade, Hex, and Venoshock get STAB bonus from their respective types, where a wider variety of pokemon have access to said abilities.

Facade from a normal type is going to be much more potent than facade from anything else. Hex would instantly have a BP 130 and STAB from a ghost type, Venoshock would have instant BP of 130 and STAB from a Poison Type.

I believe 5 out of the 6 nations have access to at least one pokemon with Guts.

Are guts, marvel scale, toxic boost and flare boost allowed?

As of right now, yes. Though, it's subject to change between now and Sunday 6 PM EST once the matchups are announced.

Is something along the lines of Fling + Natural Cure/Aromatherapy allowed (provided Fling is used after having been afflicted by the status)?

Does "recovery" refer to HP or status? i.e. is it allowed for the status to be recovered temporarily (such as to reset a Toxic reduction)?

No, if you remove the status condition at any point you will lose. No recovering HP, no healing the status condition. You can always switch out to reset toxic turn count.

Is Volt Absorb a legal ability? as it does not outright restore HP and only does so based off the opponents move choice.

What about moves like Drain Punch and Giga Drain that deal damage and recover HP?

Nope. You are not to recover HP or heal from your status in this battle.

For reference, if both preventing and healing status are banned, shouldn't these be in the banned tag as well:

Moves: Safeguard, Misty Terrain, Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, Refresh, Rest, Psycho Shift, Magic Room (potentially Trick and Switcharoo as well, I'm not quite certain)

Abilities: Leaf Guard, Klutz

In addition, what about abilities such as Trace or Impostor, which could potentially give immunity to status (since certain abilities are not banned outright)?

Edited by Roswell

For reference, if both preventing and healing status are banned, shouldn't these be in the banned tag as well:

Moves: Safeguard, Misty Terrain, Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, Refresh, Rest, Psycho Shift, Magic Room (potentially Trick and Switcharoo as well, I'm not quite certain)

Abilities: Leaf Guard, Klutz

In addition, what about abilities such as Trace or Impostor, which could potentially give immunity to status (since certain abilities are not banned outright)?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. That's given in the rules itself.

Thanks

That's too specific and unlikely to happen if you ask me.

Is a weather dependant ability (Rain dish, hydration, leaf guard) banned if the team has absolutely no way of generating that weather? What if that ability is the only possible ability of a pokemon? (See Vaporeon for example)

Edited by Lugruf

Is a weather dependant ability (Rain dish, hydration, leaf guard) banned if the team has absolutely no way of generating that weather? What if that ability is the only possible ability of a pokemon? (See Vaporeon for example)

Well, Vaporeon is banned, didn't realize that one. And Rain Dish is banned due to the fact that your opponent could have a pokemon that induces that weather.

what an incredible challenge

looks like we're going to have to call on the power of hopes and dreams, and detemmienation determination to win this one

lets do it :]]

Query: Are we permitted to use moves like Thunder Wave on the opponent before they are hit by their orb? For that matter, secondary effects that may take effect prior to the orb.

Also looks like Vaporeon, Shaymin, and Celebi got missed on the full-ban list.

EDIT: Optional query: Are my eyes dying, or did you set the text of the ban categories to different colours?

Questions be like: Are items that hurt our feelings allowed?

They aren't just allowed, they're mandatory <3 Imagine the ethics of having your pet hold a ball that poisons them or sets them on fire, though, but this isn't the thread for that, so don't.

Edited by Cobalt996

They aren't just allowed, they're mandatory <3 Imagine the ethics of having your pet hold a ball that poisons them or sets them on fire, though, but this isn't the thread for that, so don't.

i think he may be speaking ofitems like black sludge sticky barb life or and so on that harm the user as well