The Strongest Monotype

Valkyria

A good monotype has a pool of great pokemon to choose from. A great monotype has synchrony between the allocated team members, not just in terms of resistances and immunities, but the moves they carry, their abilities and so on.

An example. Dragons may be awesome individually, but the dragon monotype remains a weak contender for the strongest possible team due to its crippling weakness to ice across all usable members, bar Kingdra.

Before we go on, there are three Monotype limitations all must be aware of:

-Ubers banned

-Permanent weather abilities banned

-And the most obvious: All pokemon on a monotype team must share a common type.

Below is the most reliable monotype team I've built, tested and true.

Tentacruel (M) @ Damp Rock

Trait: Rain Dish

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Toxic Spikes

- Rapid Spin

- Rain Dance

- Scald

Suicune @ Leftovers

Trait: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Calm Mind

- Scald

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

Gyarados (F) @ Lum Berry

Trait: Moxie

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

Starmie @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Thunderbolt

- Trick

- Hydro Pump

- Ice Beam

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band

Trait: Huge Power

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Waterfall

- Aqua Jet

- Superpower

- Ice Punch

Lanturn @ Leftovers

Trait: Volt Absorb

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def

Calm Nature (-Atk, -SpD)

- Thunder Wave

- Scald

- Charge Beam

- Ice Beam

Hey, where's politoed? Banned.

Even without infinite rain support, this monowater team swamps the competition with heavy hitters in Banded Azumarill and Moxie Gyarados, especially with 8 turns of rain from Damp Rock Tentacruel.

Lanturn is a swimming Blissey, and does an excellent job of shielding the team against the likes of Jolteon, Genesect and evil Starmies. Max Def + HP Suicune is an excellent bulky sweeper, with an infuriating built in combo of Calm Mind, Scald & Restalk.

Finally, Starmie is there to soak up status conditions, Trick stallers, and kamehameha dragons who managed to sneak in a DD. Despite all this, monowater is vulnerable to well-organized electric teams, especially once Lanturn goes belly up.

Got an invincible monotype team? Post it here!

Edited by Valkyria

Flying, normal, and water make the 3 best monoteams.

Flying- Paired with everything bar fighting. Plenty of strong flying types: Gyarados, Skarmory, Togekiss to name a few

Normal- Huge pool of Pokemon to choose from (Ambipom, Slaking, Porygon2 and PorygonZ), learn variety of coverage moves

Water- see above. Large pool of Pokemon, rain abuse

Flying is weak to stealth rock, and no flying pokemon can learn rapid spin. That's a problem. As for normal, how would it stop itself from being wrecked by mach punch breloom or mach punch conkeldurr? Or worse, close combat from terakion and infernape? And let's not forget hi jump kick from speed boosted blaziken. Any and all of those have the potential to sweep a normal team.

@Zen, weather isn't banned, hence the rain dance on tentacruel.

• Administrators

I think he meant permanent weather, and I didn't know that it was banned either, sadface. Is that official or a self-imposed rule?

I only have one monotype team that I'd be willing to use in normal battles; although I did like the reason behind making my Dark mono, it's just... Not good. >.>

I have more than one version of it though, so whatever

ANYWAY, the one I'm actually okay with:

Clear Bell (Bronzong) @ Light Clay

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 104 Def

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Gyro Ball

- Light Screen

- Reflect

- Stealth Rock

Psychofist (Medicham) (F) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Pure Power

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

- Hi Jump Kick

- ThunderPunch

- Ice Punch

- Fire Punch

Mindfreak! (Alakazam) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Magic Guard

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

- Psychic

- Focus Blast

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Shadow Ball

Slowqueen (Slowking) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Scald

- Flamethrower

- Nasty Plot

- Slack Off

Iron Fist (Metagross) @ Leftovers

Trait: Clear Body

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

- Agility

- Earthquake

- Meteor Mash

- Magnet Rise

LIGHTS (Meloetta) @ Leftovers

Trait: Serene Grace

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd

- Psychic

- Calm Mind

- Thunderbolt

- Focus Blast

Nothing really special to say, imo

Bronzong leads, semi-focused on physical defense, while Slowbro is the specially defensive one, covering- or at least being neutral to- each other's weaknesses; Medicham es #1 revenge killer/late-game clean up huehuehue

Generic sweeper Alakazam, Metagross for neutrality to others' weaknesses and because omg it's so strong, Magnet Rise is there because shut up

Meloetta for the Ghost immunity and mind-blowing bulk (read: tank +2 Waterfall from Gyarados and KO with Thunderbolt) and because the reference used for the name was too good to pass up

If I had to pick something wrong with this team it's how many things set up, really...

I also have a mono-dragon team that was... okay I guess, although it was more of a "theme" team than a monotype team... As far as my reason for having it is concerned.

Honora (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Scarf

- Draco Meteor

- Flamethrower

- U-turn

- Dark Pulse

Fortuna (Salamence) (F) @ Yache Berry

Trait: Moxie

- Dragon Claw

- Dragon Dance

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

Joyeu (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb

- Calm Mind

- Recover

- Dragon Pulse

- Thunderbolt

Veritas (Kingdra) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sniper

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall

- Outrage

- Iron Head

Fidelis (Dragonite) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Multiscale

- Dragon Dance

- Dragon Claw

- Fire Punch

- Roost

Forta (Altaria) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Cloud Nine

- Dragon Dance

- Earthquake

- Dragon Claw

- Fire Blast

Literally nothing I should have to explain, same main issue as above.

Also, Altaria is bad but it's the only Dragon that could even remotely represent anything diamond-related (read: it's white.)

Bonus points if you understand the theme; if you do, note that Hydreigon and Kingdra are shiny, so they fit perfectly <3

• Administrators
Flying is weak to stealth rock, and no flying pokemon can learn rapid spin. That's a problem.

To be fair, Skarmory and Gliscor are neutral to it, Delibird can use Rapid Spin (but you may as well just leave them up if you have to use Delibird for that express purpose >.>) and it's not impossible to keep them from coming out in the first place.

As for normal, how would it stop itself from being wrecked by mach punch breloom or mach punch conkeldurr? Or worse, close combat from terakion and infernape? And let's not forget hi jump kick from speed boosted blaziken. Any and all of those have the potential to sweep a normal team.

Assuming all of the above aren't on the same team (in which case just forfeit immediately), a physically defensive Togekiss might be able to handle any given one of those. Staraptor would be able to carry Intimidate as well; Mach Punch alone isn't a very scary thing... Terrakion however, you got me; I can't really think of anything short of max Def/HP Porygon2 trying to stall it out of Close Combats, or just until it's low enough for its defenses to be nothing at all, then switch and outspeed? Togekiss MIGHT still apply, if it's choiced and can't use Stone Edge instead.

Though I won't deny, some things just can't be won >>

@ Valkyria - I meant permanent weather, as Ikaru mentioned... it can be a handicap also, if an entire team is built around it (try a Drizzletoed team after the toad dies and some random opponent sends the sun/snow/sand up) :)

Regarding the normal type being weak against fighting, as Ikaru has said, the normal/flying types can handle Mach Punch... but as for terrakion, a girafarig with a Focus Sash might do (rarely used, but still handy in normal teams on the odd occasion).

Edited by Zen

Kinda don't like the self imposed weather thing. But I also don't like people complaining about it so it goes hand in hand.

@Zen, +1 for realizing that weather handicap.

Anyway, Flying Mono's if done right don't have to care at all about SR. This includes a lack of taunt and Xatu. So, I'm not afraid of it at all. It's just like saying anything else for a monotype that doesn't have to worry about it's weaknesses.

Now as far as mono's go that I have currently, I have to say that I'm in the process of maing one for each type [i have 5] and all so far are taking more battles than expected. Will i show them....naw.

Oh, the [no permanent weather] clause as via Pokemon Online tier regulations, as Poke-Place doesn't have a monotype ladder. Obviously I wouldn't make my monowater team weaker on purpose by leaving out drizzle politoed if I could have it.

My issue with the normal monotype is twofold. First, if it's geared specifically towards countering fighting types, it still at 5 to 1 odds of losing. At least 5 of 6 pokemon on a monofighting team carry a STAB fighting move, and a bulky togekiss, chansey, porygon or whatever can only take so much. Second, by contructing an anti-fighting normal team, you lose a lot of coverage against the other 16 monotypes. The psychic monotype, especially Ikaru's, holds much more promise, as the abundant number of psychic-steels compensate nicely for psychic's weaknesses.

• Administrators

I never said it would be a winning fight, just that it can be dealt with... I think it's the same with a normal (er, normal as in standard, not... yeah) team too; if something counters you, wouldn't you have to go out of your way to try and find something to beat it? I'll admit the normal monotype isn't very strong regardless, though. I know for a fact that the only reason the Normal leader gave me so much trouble last season in the League was because I didn't have a specific Fighting-type, and if I set up with any of my Pokemon to destroy his walls, I would get Ditto'd and then swept.

In keeping with the topic, however, or at least the title- I think Psychic is possibly one of the best though; had I used Jirachi as well, that's three different pokemon neutral to Psychic's weaknesses (bulky ones too), and I would have Slowking for Fire-types, and Bronzong for Ground-types...

I know for a fact that the only reason the Normal leader gave me so much trouble last season in the League was because I didn't have a specific Fighting-type, and if I set up with any of my Pokemon to destroy his walls, I would get Ditto'd and then swept.

Just goes to show how new to the forums I am. Prior to reading the above quote, I was under the impression that moderators are the gym leaders. More to the point, it looks like Psychic and Water are two real contenders for the best monotype possible. Here comes a third: Ground.

Donphan (M) @ Smooth Rock

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Sandstorm

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Ice Shard

Excadrill (F) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Sand Rush

- Sandstorm

- Swords Dance

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

Flygon (F) @ Life Orb

EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd

Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)

- Fire Blast

- Earthquake

- Roost

- Draco Meteor

Nidoking (M) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Sheer Force

- Earth Power

- Thunderbolt

- Ice Beam

- Flamethrower

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Sand Veil

- Outrage

- Crunch

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

Gastrodon-Ea (Gastrodon-East) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Storm Drain

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd

- Recover

- Toxic

- Earth Power

- Scald

Ground's greatest asset is its abuse of two would-be ubers: Garchomp and Excadrill. Max Def + HP donphan will be able to set up stealth rock and sandstorm against most monotype leads, assuming he isn't Taunted. Ice shard is there to hit a lead you suspect could be sashed, although it may be better to replace it with rapid spin. Except in the rarest of circumstances (ie. Cloyster leads), donphan won't be 1HKO'd due to it's awesome Sturdy ability. With sandstorm raging for 8 turns, veiled garchomp gets a terrifying +1 evasion boost and excadrill gets his speed doubled, outrunning 99.9% of scarfed pokemon. Even better: if you're able to switch excadrill in against something that doesn't threaten it, you can sneak in a swords dance. Sandstorm also breaks the sashes of most pokemon, allowing you to sweep unhindered. Excadrill also packs sandstorm himself, which (combined with his sash) can also turn into a defensive asset if your opponent is in the middle of a sweep.

By nature, most ground-type pokemon are physical attackers. Scarfed Nidoking with sheer force amends this, with excellent coverage to boot. Levitating Flygon is there as a mixed attacker, with STAB earthquake and draco meteor. Fire blast annihilates skarmory, forretress and ferrothorn, and roost is there to shrug off life orb damage.

Gastrodon is the white mage of this team, literally soaking up water moves that threaten to sweep otherwise. Ice moves are also no problem, as gastrodon can toxic-stall most ice users.

This team's biggest weakness? Abomasnow. Even without snow warning, a hail team can rip through ground at a moment's notice. Nidoking kinda plays the hero here, but a banded & STAB'd ice shard from mamoswine will hit the majority of the team for fatal damage.

Edited by Valkyria

After first reading this, I decided to give steel a go. It was successful, but I don't know how good it really is:

Steelix (Nickname: Bulk Much?)

Type: Steel/Ground

Ability: Sturdy

Item: Leftovers

Moveset: Stealth Rock, Dragon Tail, Earthquake, Gyro Ball

Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Speed)

EVs: +252 HP, +96 Defense, +206 Special Defense

Aggron (Nickname: Hates Puns)

Type: Steel/Rock

Ability: Rock Head

Item: Leftovers

Moveset: Head Smash, Earthquake, Stealth Rock (Just Cause), Thunder Wave

Nature: Careful (+SpD, - SpA)

EVs: +252 HP, +4 Defense, +252 Speed

Scizor (Nickname: Buggy Bug)

Type: Steel/Bug

Ability: Technician

Item: Life Orb

Moveset: Swords Dance, Roost, Bug Bite, Bullet Punch

Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

EVs: +188 HP, +252 Attack, +68 Speed

Durant (Nickname: ThreatANTing)

Type: Steel/Bug

Ability: Hustle

Item: Red Card

Moveset: Hone Claws, Iron Defense, Baton Pass, X-Scissor

Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -SpA)

EVs: +24 Attack, +160 Defense, +72 Sp. Defense, +252 Speed

Empoleon (Nickname: Death)

Type: Water/Steel

Ability: Torrent (Might Change)

Item: Life Orb

Moveset: Agility, Hydro Pump, Grass Knot, Ice Beam

Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

EVs: +40 HP, +252 Special Attack, +192 Speed

Metagross (Nickname: Heimerdinger)

Type: Steel/Psychic

Ability: Clear Body

Item: Expert Belt

Moveset: Psychic, Meteor Mash, HP Fire, Ice Punch

Nature: Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)

EVs: +168 Attack, +232 Special Attack, +108 Speed

The Team Didn't Really Have A Specific Purpose, Just Different Types Of Attackers With Durant As A Baton Passer And Steelix As A Lead Tank. I ignored countering entry hazards because they only pose so little of a threat.

Although Chandelure Completely Cuts (Well, Burns) My Team Into Bits (Or Ash, For That Matter).

Scarfed Rotom with Thunderbolt incoming. ._.

Beaver, get your fucking import from the import in team builder. <3

tumblr_m1909mC9lV1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

Roo, it seems like Infernape/Blaziken would give your team hell.

• 1 month later...

I think think this is a pretty good poison mono team, its probably really bad but thats why im posting it so you guys could help me.

Scolipede (F) @ Rocky Helmet

Trait: Poison Point

EVs: 232 HP / 12 Def / 20 SDef / 244 Spd

Hardy Nature

- Steamroller

- Toxic Spikes

- Spikes

- Earthquake

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Rivalry

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd

- Ice Punch

- Thunderbolt

- Sludge Bomb

- Surf

Gengar (M) @ Spooky Plate

Hardy Nature

- Disable

- Shadow Ball

- Focus Blast

- Dark Pulse

Vileplume (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Chlorophyll

EVs: 100 HP / 108 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SDef / 100 Spd

Hardy Nature

- Leech Seed

- Toxic

- Giga Drain

- Attract

Toxicroak (M) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Poison Touch

- Cross Chop

- Bullet Punch

- Nasty Plot

- Sludge Bomb

Seviper (M) @ Toxic Plate

Trait: Shed Skin

- Coil

- Crunch

- Poison Fang

- Venoshock

Yeah it sucks, I know. So if anyone has any tips please post.

In the monotype tier, poison has one huge advantage: Toxic Spikes. Only poisons can soak them up, and two layers will inflict exponentially damage on most pokemon. Your team makes full use of this, have both a bulky lead to set them up, as well as a ghost to block spinners. Very, very nice. That being said, you need to change the natures on both of them. Impish could be a better nature on Scolipede and Timid would be much more beneficial on Gengar.

Also, I think you're trying to do too much at once with your Vileplume. The EVs are uncommitted, and her moves suggest that she plays a supporting role. Amoongus tends to do this better, with 100% accurate spore, the regenerator ability, and greater overall bulk.

Toxicroak's Nature conflicts with Nasty Plot. Mixed sweepers have their merits, but like Vileplume, you may be trying to do too much at once on Toxicroak. This is just my five cents, but I suggest that you commit it as either a special attacker or physical attacker, and adjust his nature and moves accordingly.

A great start to a very promising team :lol:

Edited by Valkyria