Mono-Bug Team Dilemma

daigotsurezan

So, having reached the end of Episode 15, I decided to try something a little different and do my very first monotype challenge. And seeing as the Bug type has some really cool Pokemon... and a lot of little underused boring ones, I decided to do Mono Bug. I've just entered the Jasper Ward, having rolled over the first two gyms without too much trouble. (Best part of mono Bug? Fern gets stomped on by a long string of Fury Cutters and Bug Bites). I'm a bit unsure of how I want to structure my team moving forward, as for the first time in this playthrough I've got seven decent-ish Bugs vying for space.

My current party is as follows:

Pinsir, Level 21

Hyper Cutter

Vice Grip/Revenge/Focus Energy/Seismic Toss

Wormadam (Trash Cloak), Level 21

Overcoat

Bug Bite/Tackle/Protect/HP (Type currently unknown)

Joltik, Level 21

Compoundeyes

Bug Bite/Electroweb/Thunder Wave/Spider Web

Whirlipede, Level 22

Speed Boost

Poison Tail/Bug Bite/Rollout/Protect

Butterfree, Level 23

Compoundeyes

Confusion/Gust/Stun Spore/String Shot

Kricketune, Level 23

Technician

Fury Cutter/Cut/Sing/Focus Energy

I am debating using a Sewaddle on my team, but I think I want to hold off on training him until after Corey (since it'll be useless against a Poison team). I will also be swapping out someone for Larvesta once I obtain the Mystery Egg.

Most likely I will drop Wormadam from the party (Steel is a great type, but offensively she leaves a LOT to be desired), and the next to go is probably going to be Kricketune (Technician Fury Cutter his hard, but by that point it's too much of a one-trick pony). I'm loathe to drop Pinsir since in a few levels he will get Brick Break, giving me a Fighting-type move to help face off against any Rock or Steel types I face.

I'm open to any suggestions, ideas, or comments. I have captured every Bug pokemon up to this point... except Dustox, because I can't make a WUrmple evolve into one to save my life, and Vespiquen, because female Combees don't exist. :/

I haven't tried it, but I think that if you have a pokemon with cute charm in the first slot of your party the gender ratio is ignored and you get pokemon of the opposite gender the 66.6% of the times.

You can get the igglybuff in the peridot ward and try, if you want a vespiquen.

Edited by aflordepiel

I haven't tried it, but I think that if you have a pokemon with cute charm in the first slot of your party the gender ratio is ignored and you get pokemon of the opposite gender the 66.6% of the times.

You can get the igglybuff in the peridot ward and try, if you want a vespiquen.

I never would have thought of that! Thanks aflordepiel!

But..you don't have a Yanmega or a Heracross! How can you not have a Yanmega or a Heracross!

Also I see you have the Wormadamn, aka NotWorthADamn. That's literal trash, please substitute it for any of the aforesaid, or even with a Durant or Forretress if you want a Bug/Steel type. I'm fairly sure Durant is found somewhere.

But..you don't have a Yanmega or a Heracross! How can you not have a Yanmega or a Heracross!

Also I see you have the Wormadamn, aka NotWorthADamn. That's literal trash, please substitute it for any of the aforesaid, or even with a Durant or Forretress if you want a Bug/Steel type. I'm fairly sure Durant is found somewhere.

I've just cleared Corey, so none of the three you have suggested are available yet. Rest assured, Yanmega and Durant will join my team as soon as they're available. (Heracross will probably replace Pinsir when I gain access to it, at least until we get Mega Evolutions and Mega Pinsir returns to wreck things with 200 power Flying Returns).

Although I DO want to talk about Wormadam for a second. For the early stages of Reborn, it's a surprisingly durable and potent Pokemon. The thing soloed both instances of PULSE Tangrowth by virtue of resisting all its attacks and having access to Confusion (admittedly, it took a while because its offensive stats are garbage). The Steel typing was also super useful against Corey, negating fully half of his available moves and resisting many more. Its movepool is also, shockingly, better at this stage in the game than Forretress, who doesn't learn a Steel move until level 31. I will ABSOLUTELY be swapping her out with Durant the instant I can, but until then, she's a reasonably sturdy tank who can stall out anything but a Fire-type.