Follower Pokemon in Rejuv

Hey everybody, I got something I've been wanting in some fan games for awhile now to work: Pokemon following the player like in Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Originally I was just gonna keep it to myself, but with permission from Jan (I just thought it'd be respectful to get permission to post such a thing), I'm gonna release it publicly. This took quite a bit of work, especially since this was the first time I've ever used RPG Maker for something like this. (figuring out the scripting, fixing the healing events, and editing movement paths in 90 cutscenes so that characters won't just casually walk through the player's Pokemon)

Some screen shots:

ZXysvep.png

kX00G7m.png

o13sSsk.png

LiHVDvs.png

pAlF9X1.png

MeQJ7zK.png

Pokemon start following the player after this point in the game:

The introductory fights with Amaria and Ren.

Or, if you already have a file started and don't want to restart just heal your Pokemon at a Pokemon center.

Follower Pokemon are disabled during these sections of the game:

Whenever the player is partnered with an NPC trainer.

Blacksteeple Castle (until the second boss fight)

Some additional features include:

The ability to cycle lead Pokemon with the "A" key

The control key lets you toggle the follower Pokemon on or off (don't see why you'd download this to turn them off, but it's here)

Water types, flying types, and Pokemon with levitate will still follow the player when using Surf. That however leads to a little bug in that they'll still follow you even if you are surfing on them. This issue also applies to Magma Drift.

Some minor bug fixes for regular Rejuv like Augustus not showing up if you go to Oceanana Pier before clearing out the Xen Backup Lab.

Known Bugs:

You can use Dig and Escape ropes with NPC trainers. (It was either this, or have them completely unusable)

The follower Pokemon freak out on a few of the bridges such as the bridge on Route 2, but this fixes itself when you get off the bridge.

Will I update this for future versions of Rejuvenation?: Definitely.

How will I handle Gen 7 Pokemon when that eventually happens?: Hate to say it, but I'm not a good spriter. I'm a pretty bad one actually, the best I can do is a half decent recolor. Unless people were willing to lend a hand (which I would feel guilty about), Gen 7 Pokemon would have to use place holder sprites.

Will I do this for Reborn?: Yes, I have that in the works right now actually. It should take about 2-3 weeks, as I have to play through the game, iron out any errors I find and fix up many cutscenes as they weren't designed with follower Pokemon in mind.

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wgcaqihqqgqqrm1/Rejuv+followers+for+V8.1.rar

Credits:

mej71 of the Pokecommunity forums for the base script that I edited.

TheSuzerain and the rest of the insurgence dev team for the Unova/Kalos overworld sprites.

Feedback would be appreciated, and I'd also appreciate it if you reported any crashes or progress impeding bugs that you encounter if there are any. (All of the crashes I encountered were related to healing after losing, and I fixed up every single one of those events in the game, so there shouldn't be any, but still I might have missed something.)

EDIT: If you do encounter any crashes, please post your save file so that I can recreate and fix them as soon as possible.

EDIT 2: I forgot to include this NPC in the initial release:

P1pGwDF.png

I would recommend talking to this NPC before transferring to any new version when it is released.

Edited by Personthing

O_O can we ask ame for this 2?

Will I do this for Reborn?: Yes, I have that in the works right now actually. It should take about 2-3 weeks, as I have to play through the game, iron out any errors I find and fix up many cutscenes as they weren't designed with follower Pokemon in mind.

Well exactly, ame haven't notice as i know. But she should include it if that works tho.

Well I did test the feature for a few minutes and I must say I like it. The transition to Rejuvination v7 and this form is smooth, I can switch back and forth without much problems. However I did get some clipping/strange behavior when using this. It is mostly centered around moving sideways.

• 1 month later...

wow I really like how someone took in the time an effort to do this. it is a little feature and completely optional but you made it possible so that if people want it they can have it. Thanks for all the hard work you put in.

• 1 month later...

Love this, but I;m having a real big problem right now. The NPC who can disable the follower Pokemon is absent, so I can't get rid of them. Now, I can't play vanilla Rejuvenation without getting a box that says I can't use a bike with someone following me, and I'm kind of freaking out. Is there another download or manual way to remove them, as the Control button does not help. Thank you.

Love this, but I;m having a real big problem right now. The NPC who can disable the follower Pokemon is absent, so I can't get rid of them. Now, I can't play vanilla Rejuvenation without getting a box that says I can't use a bike with someone following me, and I'm kind of freaking out. Is there another download or manual way to remove them, as the Control button does not help. Thank you.

My mistake completely there. That was a problem with the initial release, the current download has this fixed.

Edit: Since the main post refuses to update the download link (even when I put the new download link in the post, it still sends you to the old files, which I thought I had fixed weeks ago), here we go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/h8nd69uip5ch3f4/Rejuv+with+follower+Pokemon+v1.1.rar

Edited by Personthing

My mistake completely there. That was a problem with the initial release, the current download has this fixed.

Edit: Since the main post refuses to update the download link (even when I put the new download link in the post, it still sends you to the old files, which I thought I had fixed weeks ago), here we go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/h8nd69uip5ch3f4/Rejuv+with+follower+Pokemon+v1.1.rar

Thank you a thousand time! I'll try it in a bit!

Edit: Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Edited by Combat Medic

i still don't get it how to transfer to version 8 :(

There's an npc pictured in the various Pokemon centers, you have to talk to them to completely disable the follower Pokemon before transfering versions. If they don't appear, you'll have to download the files in the previous post.

]P1pGwDF.png

Edited by Personthing

There's an npc pictured in the various Pokemon centers, you have to talk to them to completely disable the follower Pokemon before transfering versions. If they don't appear, you'll have to download the files in the previous post.

]P1pGwDF.png

Thanks a lot when you will do for version 8 follower pokemon

Thanks a lot when you will do for version 8 follower pokemon

I'll wait for a few weeks before starting work on it. Even the greatest beta testers might miss out on some big bugs, so I'm gonna wait and see if Jan has to release a bug fixed version before I get started.

Edited by Personthing

• 2 weeks later...

I think is time to update?

The work on the update itself is mostly done, I'm just currently doing a test play through to be sure everything works fine, and seeing if I can get an addition or two I want to work.

I've always loved having my pokemon follow me around instead of staying cramped inside a little ball. I'll stick to version 7 for now (since I had to restart my game) until I finish it. Thanks for doing this, great job! ^^;;

I think I should of found this earlier... oops.

So this won't work for v8???

Not yet, the v8 version will release in about a little more than a week/2 weeks. The short part, the coding and most of the event editing is done, now the long part, actually playing through the game in full to make sure everything works is starting.

EDIT: May take a bit longer, have been kinda busy lately.

Edited by Personthing

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got something working I wanted to for a while:

I figured out how to get the follower Pokemon itself moving around mid cutscene, instead of just being glued to the space behind the player. It's probably gonna be implemented a bit more than it currently is when I do this for the eventual v9.

ftDs85P.png

As for progress of the test playthrough, I'm nearly at Angie, sorry for taking so long.

Edited by Personthing