Nintendo NX - 3DS becoming obsolete?

Coderis

I guess a lot of us are looking forward to the upcoming Pokemon Sun and Moon. Currently I haven't invested in a Nintendo 3DS which is needed to play either X, Y Sun or Moon. But I'm seriously wondering if the new Nintendo console which is rumored to be both a stationary console but also a handheld console will make the current Nintendo consoles outdated. It's rumored to be out already in a few months. If that's the case then I guess the new handheld model Nintendo New 3DS that came out a few months ago might already be replaced by the next big step in handheld consoles.

What do you guys think? Will it be worth investing in a Nintendo New 3DS? (I don't own the normal Nintendo 3DS)

Edited by Coderis

That's really up to you. With no real information to go on/rumors, there isn't a real answer for you. IF the NX is a handheld system, I'm sure it will be backwards compatible, but in my opinion, you should wait until a secondary model comes out for any Nintendo system. How many times has Nintendo made a system, then released an upgraded system later? (Plus, I'm always cheap and wait for them to go on sale.)

You shouldn't believe a lot of those rumours. People generally tend to just make things up or just say what people want to hear and call that a "leak".

Nintendo usually releases consoles in the year after they unveil it.

If they unveil NX this year, then the console will most likely be released late next year.

Whether or not it's worth it to invest in a 3DS a year and a half before it potentially becomes outdated is up to you, but I wouldn't recommend the gen 6 main series Pokémon games, as they are a massive disappointment. But the 3DS has a ton of good games you should try out anyway, like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate(And/Or Generations since that's coming out this summer) Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Kid Icarus Uprising, the Fire Emblem games, and if you choose to get a New 3DS: Xenoblade Chronicles(yes, I'm aware this already came out on the Wii, but good luck finding a copy of that version that isn't still at least full price).

It's been stated by Nintendo that NX is being announced at e3 and is coming out at the end of this year. (Nov/Dec). I don't have sources though. You can trust my word. I follow this stuff religiously. I doubt that the 3DS will lose any relavancy in the next few months.

It's been stated by Nintendo that NX is being announced at e3 and is coming out at the end of this year. (Nov/Dec). I don't have sources though. You can trust my word. I follow this stuff religiously. I doubt that the 3DS will lose any relavancy in the next few months.

Sorry, but I'm not inclined to believe someone about this sort of thing if a. they don't provide a reliable source and b. I can't find a reliable source or official statements backing this information up with a few quick Google searches. And I seriously doubt Nintendo would say when they're planning on releasing a console before they even give out any other information about it.

As has already been previously stated, it's all up to you in regards to how badly you want to play the new Pokemon games. If Sun/Moon hasn't really piqued your curiosity, then no, don't buy a 3DS just to play a game that you're ever so vaguely interested in. And even when the new console drops and it IS handheld, then the game and console will still be there for you to pick up at a later date. You may miss the initial launch but it's not like you'll miss the experience if you pick it up late. You also run the risk of it (the NX) not being backwards compatible which, although highly unlikely, is always something to keep in mind.

Ultimately, just remember that it's your money that you make the decision with. Personally, the 3DS has offered me much enjoyed entertainment throughout my years of ownership. From the Pokemon games, to the Fire Emblem series, and even the Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy and much more beyond, it has been well worth the purchase. Solid pick-up if you're interested in any of those things and can get past the gimmicks that every Nintendo console has.

Sorry, but I'm not inclined to believe someone about this sort of thing if a. they don't provide a reliable source and b. I can't find a reliable source or official statements backing this information up with a few quick Google searches. And I seriously doubt Nintendo would say when they're planning on releasing a console before they even give out any other information about it.

I watch a lot of GameXplain and Source Gaming they mention it a lot. I don't remember their sources unfortunately. I honestly don't care if I you don't believe me.

If it's gonna be released this year, then it will most likely be before December. People would want the ability to buy it before xmas.

If it's next year, I can see it happen before April. That's when the fiscal year ends for most Japanese companies.

It's not a handheld, it is supposed to be capable of competing on the same level as a PS4 or Xbox One. Some rumors claim that it is more powerful and that they are going to port Smash 4, Mario Maker, Splatoon, and Zelda U to the console. There are also a bunch of wall street journal patents for the console that seem vague af. But what it does tell us is that it is a home console. Square Enix said they are considering porting Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, and Dragon Quest XI to it.

3DS has some life left in it while wii U needs to go lol

A leak from a verified source said NX will be strong and easy to develop for. So that'll entice third parties to come back. I just want to see what's in store for the future of my favorite company

Edited by fireheart4560

• Support Squad

Like other game systems the 3DS will inevitably die out as production shifts to the new system and the library of games increases.

Thing is, there's a good amount of quality games out already to play. Something doesn't have to be new to be fantastic.

TBH, a console doesn't fade into obscurity until 1-2 years AFTER LAUNCH! This whole idea that and old console should be dumped for something new is ludicrous. When the Wii came out, I still played a lot of Gamecube games (sadly, I don't have as much time as I used to). The 3ds would only be replaced with another handheld system since it's big thing is being something to do on the go. You can't take your console on a road trip so easily.

My big point in buying a console isn't all the features, but what games are coming out. I originally skipped out on the 3ds for 2 (or maybe 3) years and didn't have one until a few months before Pokemon X came out. The only reason I even have a Wii U is because of Xenoblade X that won me over. I'll basically be waiting to see what the upcoming games are before even considering buying it.

Game Boy, GBA, PS2, DS, and Wii lived on long after its younger consoles launched.

This can especially be said about the Wii, which takes up over half of the Nintendo home console panel at my local Walmart (they're still selling CoD:MW3 on Wii for $60 lol). I may live in the boonies but it's just plain ridiculous that they're THAT far behind in the years.

iirc the PS2 and Wii were the best selling console of all time. There is a lot of shovelwere for them. Relating back to the main topic, here is a fun fact. The PlayStation Vita is currently outselling the Wii U.

I'll be honest, the only reason for me ever buying a Wii U was for Smash 4, Pokken, and some of the recurring titles (Mario Bros., Kirby, etc). I'd like to give Bayonetta 2 a try, as well as Wonderful 101, but they're both honestly just games I can wait for. Heck, Smash 4 didn't even spark my curiosity until Ryu was announced, and it wasn't a "I gotta have this" until Cloud came out. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game and Smash is honestly one of my favorite series ever, but I felt like the 3DS version could just tide me over for a while. It wasn't crucial to own this time around (which is odd, because Smash 4 is so much better than Brawl ever was).

My Wii U also came with Splatoon. I have not touched that game once. It does not interest me in the slightest.

I'll be honest, the only reason for me ever buying a Wii U was for Smash 4, Pokken, and some of the recurring titles (Mario Bros., Kirby, etc). I'd like to give Bayonetta 2 a try, as well as Wonderful 101, but they're both honestly just games I can wait for. Heck, Smash 4 didn't even spark my curiosity until Ryu was announced, and it wasn't a "I gotta have this" until Cloud came out. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game and Smash is honestly one of my favorite series ever, but I felt like the 3DS version could just tide me over for a while. It wasn't crucial to own this time around (which is odd, because Smash 4 is so much better than Brawl ever was).

My Wii U also came with Splatoon. I have not touched that game once. It does not interest me in the slightest.

You'd be surprised. Do the single player mode. I think everybody enjoys the final boss fight and the music. The regular stages themselves are hit or miss.

It's not a handheld, it is supposed to be capable of competing on the same level as a PS4 or Xbox One. Some rumors claim that it is more powerful and that they are going to port Smash 4, Mario Maker, Splatoon, and Zelda U to the console. There are also a bunch of wall street journal patents for the console that seem vague af. But what it does tell us is that it is a home console. Square Enix said they are considering porting Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, and Dragon Quest XI to it.

kingdom hearts 3 on a Nintendo console!!!!!!!!!!!!! :3

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add that the NX might turned out to be a failed gimmick like Wii U, thus only REALLY beginning to sell well when more and increasingly popular games come out

I would like to add that the NX might turned out to be a failed gimmick like Wii U, thus only REALLY beginning to sell well when more and increasingly popular games come out

You mean like how Pokemon Go is probably gonna come out as a failed gimmick?

ah, so it looks like we finally got a release date for the nx, which is kind of weird since we know basically nothing about it other then that, kinda disappointing that we won't be hearing anything about it at the upcoming E3, although I trust nintendo will somehow find a way to blow us away with Zelda U/NX

Hopefully they do since Zelda NX is literally all they are showing. I also heard somewhere that the reason why we haven't seen a new Metroid Prime or Donkey Kong Returns game in a while is because Retro is working on a new IP for the NX. This is hype because I personally believe that Retro is currently Nintendo's best owned game dev company.