Reborn Pokemon Project I

N8theGr8

Alright...here's my brainstorming at work. Something I feel the OU metagame needs that it doesn't have is a solid special sweeper with access to Nasty Plot. When you look at the mass amounts of Pokemon that use Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, you are believing that the OU metagame is physically inclined, which I believe it is. Sure, you've got Mismagius and Pimp/Honchkrow and Houndoom, but all of them just aren't fast enough and don't have a usable special priority move, so they can't be used as the massively destructive sweepers that can be seen all over the OU metagame. Gengar, a very good option to getting Nasty Plot doesn't have it for some odd reason. So...here's my idea.

~Ghost/Fire Type
~Important Base Stats: 113 Speed is faster than Gengar but slower than Starmie, 125 Special Attack makes Nasty Plot very viable, 60 Atk lets him OHKO Blissey and most of his counters (provided he's not running a -Atk Nature) 100% of the time with Explosion.
~Frail, like most hard-hitting sweepers

All of these are likely to change, [s]hell- the whole project might be cancelled[/s]. This is just a little idea I had. Please feel free to post your suggestions and comments and also answer the poll!

REBORN POKEMON PROJECT I CHECKLIST:

[√] Typing [Ghost/Fire]
[√**] Base Stats [Speed: 113, Special Attack: 125, Attack: 60*, HP: 90*, Special Defense: 55*, Defense: 100* BASE STAT TOTAL: 534*]
[√] Appearance/Spriting [See AmethystStorm's sprites on the 6th page]
[√] Ability/Abilities [Vital Spirit]
[√**] Movepool [See my Movepool post on the 4th page]
[√] Name [Grimolt]
[√] Strategy [[url="http://www.pokemonreborn.com/index.php?showtopic=209"]See here[/url]]
[√] Battle Cry? [See Battle Cry posted by me on the 6th page]

* = We (Doc and I) didn't survey you guys, but rather performed a series of tests to see what Base Stat number would be best fitting for this Pokemon.

** = Possibly could change in the future.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted other because, well, I have another opinion. I think instead of just coming up with a rough idea out of thin air, we should take it one step at a time *coughcopyingsmogonprocedurecough* and first pick out a role for the Pokemon, by getting ideas then picking, then do typing, movepool, and everything else one step at time.

Hmm...I kinda wanted to AVOID smogon's whole process on the thing because I don't want someone coming here and thinking we're just completely copying smogon. Doing something more free would honestly just make the whole project a lot more fun, even if we do screw up the metagame. I guess what I'm saying is

Trial & Error > Smogon

Typing: I always liked the idea of a Dark/Psychic. >_> <_<

And no Shadow Tag, partly because it invokes unpleasant thoughts of Wobbuffet, and mostly because it would make Pursuit useless.
I kinda wish we could make a new ability (unless we can?) that puts a constant Gravity effect in place while the pokemon is out (dark matter pokemon ftw?).

If we're doing this, I have to say that I don't like this poke getting access to Nasty Plot. Too overpowered. I like this idea more as a Scarfed Revenge Killer.

I believe, though, that this poke's ability should be Adaptability. Imagine dual STABs Shadow Ball and Psychic.

Doc, look at it this way. Weavile, an OU sweeper that has access to Swords Dance, has a base 120 Attack and a base 125 speed, WITH a STAB priority move. The only reason Weavile isn't used more often is because of a glaring Stealth Rock weakness. Both of this Pokemon's offensive base stats are lower than Weavile's, so I don't think this guy will prove to be too much of a problem to our metagame, especially with a certain egg-bearing fatass running around. Counters to a Ghost/Psychic type include...

Jolteon of any kind
Scarf Gengar
Any Pokemon with Shadow Sneak
Any Pokemon with Sucker Punch (HELL YES PIMPKROW)
Weavile of any kind

As a little side note, Blissey will wall this guy to all ends and paralyze it, rendering him completely useless. Adaptability seems like a good idea though, so I'll add it to the list. If we were to switch to Dark/Psychic, any PKMN with U-Turn would give this guy trouble...especially Banded Scizor.

Okay, you've sold me. I'd like to add ScarfTar to the threats list, for obvious reasons.
How is Jolteon a counter? It's weak in and of itself, and provided that this new pokemon outspeeds it, there's no way it survives a Shadow Ball or Psychic, even without a boost.

I'm going to start working on the possible teammates list for this poke. Just FYI. (Hint: MACHAMP)

EDIT: There are differences between this poke and Weavile. Jolteon is still a threat, as is ScarfGar. May I also add ANYTHING WITH A FIGHTING MOVE. There's the key difference: Ghost makes this thing far more useful than Weavile. Consider that anything without those counters will have a hell of a time killing this thing after it gets up a Nasty Plot. And trust me, many of those counters aren't common. Shadow Sneak? Sucker Punch? Pshaw.

That's my concern: it's far too overpowered after a Nasty Plot, and there aren't many priority moves to counter it: even if there are, they aren't nearly as commonly run as say, a Scizor BP countering DDtar, or a Vacuum Wave on an Infernape countering a Weavile, or a Ice Shard to counter Flygon/Dragonite.

[quote]How is Jolteon a counter?[/quote]

Umm...Jolteon is like the fastest Pokemon in the game, combined with a 4x super effective move...As long as you're running Shadow Ball, which almost every Jolteon does, this guy won't be much of a problem. I'll admit that Shadow Sneak is nearly never seen, but Sucker Punch isn't too rare. Basically, anything faster with a Ghost/Dark move or a special wall (Blissey) proves to be a problem. Obviously this guy is gonna have a SHIT Special Defense to ensure that any faster Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse is a OHKO. Weavile, Alakazam, and Jolteon are all faster as long as they have max Speed, and they all carry a Dark/Ghost move to OHKO this guy. Azelf and Raikou tie at 115 Base Speed, and both can also get 4x super effective moves against him.

Well then, if this Pokemon were to become into existence...Pimpkrow would become way more used. And it's definitely not a bad thing if we start seeing the most epic Pokemon in the game being used more often. But you're right, neither of these moves are seen very often at all. I forgot to say that any scarfed Rotom would take this guy out.

Looking at Stars's idea, here's what would happen if we decided to make a Pokemon Dark/Psychic: It would have no resistances except an immunity to Psychic, and it would have a 4x weakness to Bug. I used [url="http://jetlogs.org/sandbox/pokemon_type_calc.html"]this[/url] to figure that out, in case you're wondering. Do you guys like that more than: 2 immunities (Normal and Fighting), 2 resistances (Poison and Psychic), and 2 4x weaknesses (Ghost and Dark)? U-Turn isn't the most uncommon of moves, seen on both Scizor and Scarfed Flygon (and a few others I don't feel like thinking of). Are you guys for Ghost/Psychic or Dark/Psychic?

And thanks Ame.

Poll for typing and a pretty checklist have been added.

[color=#000000;background:#000000;' onmouseover="this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onmouseout="this.style.color='#000000']Creating a new Pokémon is way more fun than just editing an already created one.[/color]

Moves Learned by Level Up (provided Ghost/Psychic, which I think is going to happen):

Start-Astonish
Start-Hypnosis
Start-Dream Eater
5-Confuse Ray
8-Destiny Bond
10-Confusion
15-Night Shade
21-Nasty Plot
25-Ominous Wind
30-Psychic
30-Shadow Ball
36-Psycho Boost

TMs
#3-Water Pulse
#4-Calm Mind
#10-Hidden Power
#14-Blizzard
#15-Hyper Beam
#17-Protect
#24-Thunderbolt
#35-Flamethrower
#41-Torment
#44-Rest
#57-Charge Beam
#64-Explosion
#79-Dark Pulse
#82-Sleep Talk

This list is subject to change at any time, based on suggestion.

[quote name='Doctor Octagonapus' post='4042' date='Sep 5 2010, 03:43 PM']Geo, I'm just getting a template out there. I like that list.

You can make a sprite.[/quote]
Whats the rush,I rather take my time with this.The great wall wasnt built in a day and Ima ask ame about sprites soon.Where the hell is Star when I need to ask him something.