(Note: I'm putting this here since I couldn't find any MS Paint forums, and even though it was for Rejuvenation, I felt it fit better here)

So I was working on editing a shiny sprite for a Greninja, partially because I wanted a better one, and partially because it looked like a fun new experience. But I had an issue when going from a bit of an overdone sprite:

Right to an overpixelated mess:

All I did was remove the blue and red parts, but it totally is a mess now. Also, you may notice that the background isn't transparent, but that's just because I was having issues with it, but that is much easier to fix than this from what I can tell. The issue might also even be related to this. But yeah, you get the point. Can anyone help me?

...You used MS Paint. That's your problem. No, I'm dead serious. Whenever you save something through MS Paint it automatically generates a background regardless of whether or not you want it to. For a hack, you have to embed the image, but for an RPGmaker game like Reborn itself, just use a tool like GIMP to get rid of the background. That's literally all there is to it and you can look up a tutorial pretty easy to get rid of it. GIMP is also free so no worries there.

...You used MS Paint. That's your problem. No, I'm dead serious. Whenever you save something through MS Paint it automatically generates a background regardless of whether or not you want it to. For a hack, you have to embed the image, but for an RPGmaker game like Reborn itself, just use a tool like GIMP to get rid of the background. That's literally all there is to it and you can look up a tutorial pretty easy to get rid of it. GIMP is also free so no worries there.

Is that also true for fixing the pixelly mess all over the picture?

• Developers

But... Paint is gr8 m8, it's probably the most used tool for spriting because of its simplicity. But it's just a tedious task of having to make the background transparent as you have to use another program.

To answer the question: Use gimp to make the background transparent like Commander said. The reason it's pixelated is because you probably saved it as a JPG, which is a big no no. Always save your sprites as a .png!

But... Paint is gr8 m8, it's probably the most used tool for spriting because of its simplicity. But it's just a tedious task of having to make the background transparent as you have to use another program.

To answer the question: Use gimp to make the background transparent like Commander said. The reason it's pixelated is because you probably saved it as a JPG, which is a big no no. Always save your sprites as a .png!

Actually, I did save it as a PNG. Also, my issue was not the background not being transparent, the issue is actually that if you look really closely you will see a ton of discolored and messy pixels. And once you see it you can't unsee it :P

I'm probably a bit late here and you already figured it out by yourself, but anyway:

Most likely it has to do something with how paint converts colors while saving (not going to write about details because I can't really explain it well in English, but yeah, sometimes this program does strange things to your image while saving)

And yes, GIMP will save it properly, so you can either use it to color the sprite again or try to fix the one you already done.

I'm probably a bit late here and you already figured it out by yourself, but anyway:

Most likely it has to do something with how paint converts colors while saving (not going to write about details because I can't really explain it well in English, but yeah, sometimes this program does strange things to your image while saving)

And yes, GIMP will save it properly, so you can either use it to color the sprite again or try to fix the one you already done.

Actually, I was still having issues and kinda just skipped it and came back to it later. Thank you very much!