Who here doesn't rename their Pokemon? Who renames them?

Kaneki

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do nickname my Pokemon actually. It sorta become a habit of mine, like everyone else.

Seems that a majority of people here do tend to nickname their Pokemon, according to this thread~

Joining the renaming club. I rename my pokemon in order to give them some form of individuality and the feeling of a closer bond and stuff. The only time I don't rename a pokemon is if its given name is just too cool for me to change

Sometimes I nickname and sometimes I don't. I like to nickname because it means that its a special mon and not like every other. I always nickname my starter or any other pokemon that special (not including legendaries i never nickname them), but if i just catch some random pokemon to help me beat a gym or something and it wont be on my final team I'm not going to nickname it unless I end up getting attached to it.

I only nickname Pokemon after extraordinary events, or to a different region's name, if I like it more.

Examples from Fire Monotype run:

Arcanine: Team-killing most things in Reborn badges 5-8 with Houndoom.

Houndoom: Having Sucker Punch, and never throwing exceptions with it.

Volcarona: Absolutely dunking badges 9-13 in Reborn, and most other important fights around that time, all by itself.

Flareon: I prefer the German name, Flamara.

Blaziken: Named after TM78, for being entirely useless past five badges, due to Arcanine and Volcarona existing.

Heatmor & Rotom: Didn't do anything worth special notice, so... no special names.

My brother, however... names? each Pokemon he plans to use. I say "names?" because it is entirely up to debate whether those letter combinations even count as names.

Edited by Cobalt996

I mostly nickname my Pokemon that I use throughout my game. If I don't plan on using it in my party, I usually don't give it a nickname. I don't usually rename them because, in all honesty, I get attached to them and their name, regardless of how good or bad it is. Exhibit A: I found a shiny Poochyena in a Snakewood playthrough, and named him Caramel. He is now my baby.

I spend more time nicknaming pokémons on Showdown than actually battling with them.

When it comes to offline play, I only nickname some pokémons that are already special for me in a way (Weavile, Gyarados, Torterra, etc...). And those already have a set nickname I always use.

Apart from that, I'll only nickname a pokémon if I can think of something really good on the fly~

I actually tend to do it based on playthrough. For example...

Black and Black 2, I named them ALL random human names. Zekrom named Phil and Kyurem named Leia totally say hi.

Y, I tried to go for puns/portmonteaus. Some of them were absolutely trash especially considering that lots of Pokemon's names ARE puns, but hey. I got some fun ones like Flammage (Flame + Mage) for Delphox, and BoltBark for Manectric.

Omega Ruby: NO NICKNAMES! Such that I nicknamed by Regice literally "Nickname", caught 'gigas, then re-named it Regice.

I tend to nickname my Pokemon when either I'm playing a fan-game, or when I'm competitively breeding. I guess it has something more to do with having pride in your team and etc.

I typically stray away from nicknaming Pokemon on any old playthrough of Gen 6 or Gen 4, it probably has something to do with the fact that I'm currently only replaying Gen 4 so I can transfer Dialga and Palkia to complete the Pokedex in Gen 6. :x

I used to never give my Pokemon nicknames, meanwhile most of my close friends always nicknamed theirs. After doing a nuzlocke for the first time, it's been a thing for me to do all the time now. Well except for those I know I'm not gonna use a lot.

Edited by IronWraith

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely name them, probably because I think of them as my friends and partly because I just like to. For example, my current team in Reborn is Lollipop the Swirlix, Blaze the Quilava, Punches the Mankey, Sparkle the Shiny!Swadloon, Lily the Lombre, and Echo the Noibat. In fact, I name every Pokemon that I catch (except legendaries, because I feel like they shouldn't have nicknames), even the ones I don't use.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to never nickname my mons, but I started doing it when I started my game in Omega Ruby. These days I'd always nickname them. I think it makes the team more personal, you know? Makes the bonds you form with them hang on a little more tightly. I reckon much nostalgia will be had when I look back on the times with Skipper, Breeze, Decibel, Angel, Zaggy, Star, Pizza, Sheila... all of 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

I almost always nickname my pokemon, unless i'm planning to box or get rid of them right away. The exception is new pokemons (like recently in pokemon se7en) where it's like an introductory run.

I typically pick a name scheme, but i don't stick with it a lot of the time. Right now in plat I'm naming mons based on their users, only "Taka" is a staravia (because chatot doesn't measure up to the Bird God), I'm not sure that T3RR4 has a torterra, and Ghastly!Corey is a girl (why are all my ghastly girls?)

Edited by doombotmecha

I nickname all my pokemon either to bad puns or tearible references, but even then I only do it for important playthroughs or for pokemon that I want to use alot later on

Edited by mwijsman