How can Ash become a pokemon master if he doesn't know the existence of Porygon's evolutions?

aGoodCabinet

Ash could never be a Pokemon master anyway, I mean, he hasn't beat one league yet. >:c maybe he could've beaten Sinnoh if that guy with uber legendaries wasn't there but whatever

Anyway, yeah, Porygon's ban was pretty unfair (ban Pikachu instead), and Porygon2 and Porygon-Z didn't even have anything to do with it, so I don't see why they are banned. Alas, Pokemon needed a scapegoat for the seizures, and Porygon was used to protect fan favorite Pikachu.

Ash's Pikachu seems to be worthless... It's like it forgets about the 4 leagues it's almost won against and loses to a level 5 Snivy. And it manages to take down something like a goddamn Latios, literally in the battle previous to the Snivy one.

True mark of a Pokemon Master

I think you guys are reading too much into it. The Pokemon anime is possibly the single most merchandise-driven series out there, even more so than YGO (which is saying A LOT). The consistency of the plot has always been, and will always be, a marginal aspect, what the anime wants to do is to create hype around the games so that you will buy them. Yet, and this is the great paradox of Pokemon, the anime doesn't follow the rules of the game (as proved by the infamous "aim for the horn" incident). Things like levels do not exist in the anime, I mean yes, they are mentioned in conversation, but they don't bear actual relevance to what happens in battles: if they did, Pikachu would have to be well over level 100 after adventuring through 6 different regions.

So yeah, in my opinion the anime simply is not worth the time and the effort of coming up with all these theories. You should really take it easy.

In the first season of the anime, they actually addressed the concept of levels in the 'School of hard knocks' episode. The students at the school base all their knowledge on hard numbers from their 'simulations' (aka Pokemon Red and Blue). Ash proves to them that the real world isn't about numbers and statistics and that levels don't really exist. They're just a mathematical explanation to try and define an abstract concept of a Pokemon's experience and maturity.

If Pokemon existed, real-world trainers wouldn't have a laptop and Smogon open on their browser during combat trying to guess what Nature and EV set their opponent is running to see if they can 2HKO the opponent's Samurott. If you were a good trainer, you'd be able to beat your opponent's Dragonite with your Eevee or your Beautifly. Tiers wouldn't exist.

I think in that sense, the anime was a really good way to view the franchise; unfortunately, the anime's been going on for so long that its not really about a more dynamic way to experience Pokemon. Now its a lot of recycled plot concepts and washed out themes. Team Rocket will always be goofballs despite them being introduced as actually intelligent and dangerous criminals.

Ash always seems to lose his first fight with gym leaders to show that he isn't a mary sue despite his years of experience, characters and Pokemon are shuffled out of existence with each coming generation. Even during the Ruby and Sapphire days, Ash took advantage of some of the older Pokemon he's caught like Snorlax. Now it's like none of his other Pokemon exist, only the ones of the current generation. When's the last time he's even acknowledged his Kingler or Muk?

Now it's like none of his other Pokemon exist, only the ones of the current generation. When's the last time he's even acknowledged his Kingler or Muk?

Again, this is because the new Pokemon need to hog the screentime in order to advertise their native games. You are right in saying that the anime is an interesting take on the franchise that is in some ways more realistic than the games, but for all that, it is still a fact that the anime mainly exists to help sell the game. So plot necessities take backseat to that.

All the while, I think the various mangas have been MUCH more succesful than the anime at giving us a more realistic take on Pokemon while still advertising the game. How? Easy: by changing protagonist with each new generation. There is no risk of drawn out plot points, or of characters vanishing into thin air, if you just end a series when its generation of reference ends, and then start a new one with an entirely new cast for the next generation...

I like to think the one or two theories are in play here for the sake of explaining away inconsistency in a manner that half-way defends the erroneous handling of the anime over the years.

• The infamous Ash's Coma Theory: Long story short, after getting attacked by the flock of Spearow in the first episode, Ash actually goes into coma, where he is experiencing his Pokemon adventures merely in his head, as he is truthfully in a hospital bed.
  • The Ho-Oh Sighting Theory: In one episode, Ash sees a golden bird that looks mysteriously like Ho-Oh before Johto is even confirmed to the fanbase. Ho-Oh's PokeDex entry from Black and White reads as follows: "It possesses seven-colored wings. It is said that those who see Ho-Oh are promised eternal happiness." Ash sees Ho-Oh, and thus is able to stay a ten year old Pokemon Trainer and go wherever he wants catching Pokemon for the rest of forever. It stands to reason that being a Pokemon Trainer makes Ash happy.

Both of these scenarios essentially take the essence of "time" out of the picture with reason. We watch the anime in episodal fashion, so we don't get the inside look on the development of Ash -or- his Pokemon aside from recaps of previous episodes at the start of the show -or- when one of Ash's Pokemon evolves. This legitimately opens the door for ASH to see his adventures in episodes and for him, especially if he's in a coma, to forget certain details about his Pikachu -or- remember them at various points in his journeys.

Is it a shameless plug for the games? Oh yeah it is, but it's not like there isn't a justifiable explanation for the way the anime has developed. The Pokemon Company hasn't just thrown darts at the board completely in my eyes.

Ultimately, Tomas is right, as long as Pokemon will be making Pokemon games, the anime will be on the sidelines cheering potential buyers on. I just like to look at it from a perspective that might make everything make a little more sense -while- still being a fan of the series. :)

Again, this is because the new Pokemon need to hog the screentime in order to advertise their native games. You are right in saying that the anime is an interesting take on the franchise that is in some ways more realistic than the games, but for all that, it is still a fact that the anime mainly exists to help sell the game. So plot necessities take backseat to that.

All the while, I think the various mangas have been MUCH more succesful than the anime at giving us a more realistic take on Pokemon while still advertising the game. How? Easy: by changing protagonist with each new generation. There is no risk of drawn out plot points, or of characters vanishing into thin air, if you just end a series when its generation of reference ends, and then start a new one with an entirely new cast for the next generation...

I totally agree with this. There are bits and pieces of Pokemon shorts from the anime that don't focus on Ash. I think Richie had his own, as well as something with Ethan and Raikou. There is also the Mega Evolution specials with Alain. If the series took on an approach like that, we could still have Ash to some extent, but also focus on different characters while not removing old ones from the series. Let's see how May and Dawn are doing with their contests. What's Misty's life like as a Gym Leader? Let Max start his journey with that Ralts. Where the hell is Gary these days? Maybe this would make the series less cookie-cutter and more dynamic. Each episode would take a different focus, so we aren't seeing Ash doing every little thing along the way and just focus on his competitive battles.