Favorite Normal, Bird, Cocoon, Pikachu and Pseudo legend tropes?

zimvader42

My favourites:

Normal: Zigzagoon.

Bird: Staraptor!

Bug: Wurmple, I guess?

Electric Rodent: Ew, no.

Psedo-legend: Salamence and Hydreigon.

And least favourites:

Normal: Patrat.

Bird: Pidove.

Bug: Burmy. Why give it protect in the wild, GF? Why?!

Electric Rodent: All of them.

Psedo-legend: Beldum. Because trying to catch it in Reborn is a nightmare.

Edited by aquawaffle

Normal rat thing would be Bibarel, cause Bibarel is best HM slave helper and that's all I use these things for

Bird is Talonflame cause Phoenixes and fire types are awesome. It also is one of the few fire types keeping fire in OU

Cocoon goes to Cascoon/ Silcoon line just because the RNG factors in their evolution I still think is an interesting and odd attribute

Pika-clone has to be Emolga just cause It has never let me down once when put on a team to cover water types weakness for my fire types

Pseudo-Legendary get given Metagross just because I really like its design

Normal: Rattata/Raticate. I recently replayed Heartgold version. We all know Joey and his top percentage Rattata. Well, I lost a Caterpie to him and vowed vengeance. I caught myself a Rattata to train up and beat Joey's. Sadly the Raticate (at the time) died to an Ecruteak gym trainer (in a nuzlocke). Since then Raticate will be my favourite normal mon.

Bird: Taillow/Swellow. I grew up playing third gen and watching the Hoenn saga in the cartoon. From that Swellow has a place in my heart. I will note that Starraptor and Talonflame are cool, but Starraptor is almost too cool and I haven't played sixth gen yet.

Cocoon: Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree. Again due to a nuzlocke tragedy. In a randomized Emerald nuzlocke I had a Butterfree named Moon. Moon had Rock Slide, Drill Peck, Megahorn, and Confusion (moves were obviously randomized). Moon was a fragile beast that survived until after Mossdeep gym, dying over the water. I will miss him.

Pikachu Clones: Emolga. It is the first really useful clone. All of the others are single type until Fairy was introduced. Electric/Flying is awesome.

Pseudo: Garchomp and Metagross. No explanation needed, though, while we're on the subject, why is Flygon missing?

Pseudo: Garchomp and Metagross. No explanation needed, though, while we're on the subject, why is Flygon missing?

Mainly because Flygon is not considered a Pseudo Legendary since it's BST is 520, and not 600 like the rest of the Pseudo.

You know, now that I think about it, I didn't explain my choices in the OP. And seeing so many people do it....I must join:

Normal trope: I love Furret simply and solely because how cute I think it is. I don't like Sentret all that much tho. Furret can do SOME stuff in doubles with support such as helping hand, me first and the likes, but it is not a mon I consider particularly strong, only cute as god damn hell.

Zigzagoon and Linoone tho, are my favs on pair with Furret. I've used belly drum + extreme speed linoone in a few games before, and I loved it, it is quite fun. I also somewhat enjoy Diggersby because of his unique normal/ground and the combo of huge power + return + EQ, that thing is strong. Like, diggersby tho?!

Bird trope: Swellow is my fav mainly because in pokémon glazed (fangame) I used to have one in all of my replays, for the purpose of fly assistant and overall strongest non-legendary flying type of choice in that game. So fast and with good STABS, and since the AI is dumb even fly is a good move to use in battle. Double team, STAB facade if the opponent happened to burn was MURDER. Staraptor is definitely my fav if I have to judge by strength. Reckless, intimidate, brave bird, return, close combat.... this thing is powerful. I can't wait for my pidove to evolve!

I also said I liked Noctowl, and is true. But mostly because of looks (is an owl, I mean... bro), not because I find it particularly helpful in battle. Unfezant is pretty sweet looking too and can do quite the damage with...whatever unfezant runs. I kinda sometimes like Talonflame, but I can't help but relate it to OU :/

Cocoon trope: except for burmy, mothim and wormadam (which I don't like solely because of how ugly I consider them to be, not because of their gimmick which I think is pretty awesome), I like all cocoon pokemon, and all common regional bugs for that matter (this is the category venomoth, ledian, ariados, etc. would be in). I particularly like Beedrill (fav 1st gen bug, despite being weak as shit outside of mega), leavanny (fav gen 5 bug type, so cute) and scolipede (a pretty good one even in competitive).

Pika trope: if Azumarill is an option, then that. I like this fatty cute bunny thing with the strength to lift trucks. Out of the actual electric type ones, emolga in particular I always found the cutest one, and pachirisu is somewhat cute as well. Dedenne I don't find all that similar to Raichu as people say. Bad, maybe, but is cute nonetheless. Pikachu too and is the original, so I guess I can only say... am I the only one that has a liking for Plusle and Minum, even if small?

Pseudo trope: I like them all, but as I said in the OP, dragonair for fav (sorry dragonite), then goodra, hydreigon, tyranitar, metagross, and sharing the last spot, salamence and garchomp.

Mainly because Flygon is not considered a Pseudo Legendary since it's BST is 520, and not 600 like the rest of the Pseudo.

This, pretty much.

#TEAMFURRET

furret.gif

The beginner normal rodents have a ridiculous ability to field HMs, and Furret is just the cutest one, able to Frisk items you may be hunting for, as well as take them personally with the ability to learn Thief. If you have a desire to at least have something cute on your team for most of your field duties, you can't go wrong with Furret.

#SmOgonbUrd #FearMe

talonflame.giffearow.gif

I really didn't want to pick Talonflame....honestly. I didn't.........but compared to it's competition in this category, there's too many things to like about it. Let me start with Gale Wings because that's the most obvious one. Priority Acrobatics, Brave Bird, and Roost is a fantastic little advantage it has over other birds, even those that aren't a part of the beginner trope! Flame Body - it's other ability - is what sold me me on it however. This thing is able to fly AND hatch your eggs faster - this is good if you like to breed for competitive quality Pokemon, allowing you to fly (if playing in Kalos) between the Day Care and the Judge while carrying 5 eggs.

Fearow has nested into my heart though, being a formidable pre-Julia bird Pokemon to choice with Sniper boosting it's critical hits to devastating levels. Unlike several birds in this category, Fearow has the learnset that best accompanies it's stats.

#GirlPower

wormadam-trash.gif

Wormadam-Trash is vastly underrated as a Pokemon. Granted, I don't give a crap about Mothim - but when we're talking about butterflies and competitive, they all do the same thing - and that's what makes me appreciate Wormadam's differing quality. It's able to learn Toxic, Protect, Stealth Rock, and a steel type STAB and it's sustainability can be a little difficult to deal with in lower tiers. If you like Quiver Dance set up, virtually every other Pokemon barring Beedrill and...haha...Ledian and Ariados can do that. Beedrill is a close second, being the kind of offensive nightmare that I like out of most Pokemon, but I really do -for now- like Wormadam more.

I'm not gonna sell out and say Pikachu for best Pika-Clone. It's not a clone of itself.

#Actually-useful

emolga.gif

I forgot Emolga was a pika-clone. Emolga though, is one of the things I think a lot of us, even the Gen-5-haters, would say Gen 5 got right. This clone is actually very worthy of tipping your cap to. It's ability Motor Drive grants it an immunity from a usual weakness, instead boosting the Pokemon's Speed. It has access to Agility and Baton Pass, which allows you to set up Pokemon that may otherwise get left in the dust, while possibly even getting help from an unsuspecting or unaware opponent thanks to Motor Drive. Played correctly, this Pokemon can really annoy your opponent, and lead to victory through unorthodox means.

#THEGOO....

goodra.gif

Dragonite came very close, but erryone seems to like calling me 'Hildra' and this thing has a couple of neat abilities in Gooey and Sap Sipper, as well as a wide variety of moves to choose from. The Assault Vest also comes with this thing, and they pair nicely. Pokemon that can take a hit AND dish out damage are well liked in my book.

normal types

Gen 2: Furret, 'cos its shiny is among my favourite ones furret.png

burds

Gen 2: Hoothoot and Noctowl, because they'd be great to hang out with lmao. they're chill, unlike the other birds, but then there's Unfezant. the reason i'm not putting it here with Noctowl is because of my first playthrough of White. Detect shouldn't be on the Pokemon which is on many of the trainers' possessions.

bug things

Gen 3: Wurmple, Dustox, Beautifly, i find the concept of a frail worm turning into either something beautiful, elegant,and graceful or into something ugly and despised really relatable.

Gen 5: Scolipede looks sick af and i love it

electric possums mice

Gen 2: Azumarill

Gen 3: Plusle and Minun

Gen 4: Pachirisu

Gen 5: Emolga

Gen 6: Dedenne

because they're not pikachu

jk i love all of them.

big buff cheeto puffs

Gen 6: Goomy, Sliggoo, and Goodra. i love the change they made with Kalos' pseudo. normally these 600 base-stat monsters are scary looking, sharp-teeth, menacing-looks...(sure Dragonite smiles in his sprite but have you seen how badass he looks in the anime?)

and then there's the Goodra line. happy-go-lucky devils, waiting to destroy...

Hydreigon is second-best, though. bc i like its design.

Normal: I love Stoutland but I don't think it fits the trope. Furret is adorable though

Watchog has a terrible design. It looks like a pedo-rat

Bird: POWERFUL STARAPTOR (Gen IV Bias)

Unfezant has a cool concept but was carried out really poorly. And I mean REALLY poorly

Bug: Scolipede looks badass. Otherwise I'd go with Butterfree (the OG bug) or Leavanny

I don't give a Wormadamn about this line

Pikachu: Emolga. Really, really cute :3 and useful

Plusle and Minun... Just why?

Pseudo: Garchomp (Gen IV Bias alert again). Metagross is great too.

Dragonite is just really ugly. Otherwise I like em all

Normal:Raticate,cause top%.

Bird:Missing-Jk,Noctowl cause I like using it in its own tier as screen support and toxic staller.

Bug:I really like Leavanny,I don't know why....maybe cause of its design cause it sucks to be honest.

Pikaclone:Not a fan,never was a fan,never will be a fan(If I have to,then Pikachu screw it.)

Pseudo:This is your Metagross,this is your Metagross on Metagrossite.Any question?(that old drug commercial never gets old).

Edited by Alpha_Blitz

Normal: Sentret and Furret They're just so adorable

Bird:This is a hard one, I love Noctowl, Swellow, and Staraptor and their evolution

Cocoon: Venipede, Whirlipede, and Scolipede Imagine using Scolipede to ride into battle, it would be a great war steed

Electric Rat: Plusle and Minun or Pachirisu I was really bummed that Emogola wasn't somehow linked to Pachirisu, they're both so adorable but I like Pachi more

Pseudo: Beldum on up is amazing, and I love Goomy's trio too, and Larvitars and Shelgon's... I need to stop now. Would Noivern and Flygon also count as Pseudo Legendaries? If so my list just got longer...

Would Noivern and Flygon also count as Pseudo Legendaries? If so my list just got longer...

Nope, I'd love to include them but sadly they don't fit the trope: a true pseudo legend is part of a three stage line, with 600 stat points on its final form, that has 1000000 EXP points on level 100.

Flygon, Haxorus, Gyarados, Volcarona, Noivern...all these mons are pretty powerful but are part of a trope of their own.

Same with things like Venomoth and Dodrio for their respectives. Venomoth does not have cocoon stage, and Dodrio is not based off a flying bird, so none of theseare options here.

Nope, I'd love to include them but sadly they don't fit the trope: a true pseudo legend is part of a three stage line, with 600 stat points on its final form, that has 1000000 EXP points on level 100.

Flygon, Haxorus, Gyarados, Volcarona, Noivern...all these mons are pretty powerful but are part of a trope of their own.

Same with things like Venomoth and Dodrio for their respectives. Venomoth does not have cocoon stage, and Dodrio is not based off a flying bird, so none of theseare options here.

Ah, alright. I always just thought Pseudo Legends were just well... Awesome relatively late game Pokemon. Also I thought Bulbapedia described Noivern as one.