The Great Debate: Is Halloween a good or bad holiday?

mde2001

Halloween?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you celebrate Halloween?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you like Halloween?

• Yes
    • No

I might be the only person here who voted that she doesn't celebrate Halloween but that she does like it.

The reason for that is, while I don't dress up or go trick of treating or anything, Halloween inspires the release of horror movies/stories, which I do enjoy. =p I like having a month that inspires scary stories!

I might be the only person here who voted that she doesn't celebrate Halloween but that she does like it.

The reason for that is, while I don't dress up or go trick of treating or anything, Halloween inspires the release of horror movies/stories, which I do enjoy. =p I like having a month that inspires scary stories!

You aren't the only one.

I'm in the same boat as you,

Halloween used to be the day that I saw all my old friends that went to private schools because the neighborhood would all trick or treat as a group. This year, we didn't even get one person at the door. :( More candy for us though...

Halloween used to be the day that I saw all my old friends that went to private schools because the neighborhood would all trick or treat as a group. This year, we didn't even get one person at the door. :( More candy for us though...

Never had any kids asking for candy because living in a flat. Kids is often more in houses for me lol.

Halloween for me has some sort of aura to it that makes me enjoy it. I don't look at it as some sort of opportunity to get free candy, but as a night where we as humans can express ourselves in non normal days. Putting up tombstones in ones yard isn't normal during eleven out of twelve months of the year, but when Halloween rolls about, we can get weird with it. Seeing people excited, dressed up in creative and new clothing adds, as you can't normally dress up as something like that without turning a few heads. The air of mystery and nostalgia just makes it fun, and it's happy go lucky nature just makes me smile. No other holiday has an attitude like Halloween, which is why I love it. Your attitude towards Halloween also might depend on your age, with children and adults enjoying it more than teenagers, but of course, that all depends on your own life too.

I feel like I should mention some of the holidays that do deserve some flack; Presidents Day, Arbor Day, Columbus Day, Valentines Day. and St. Patricks Day.

I also like looking into an equation I made that shows how good a holday is. The amount of plants need to be killed in order to properly celebrate a holiday are directly proportional to a holidays epicness rating squared.

I'm spanish, so my opinion might be a bit different since the customs here are different. The only reason Halloween is celebrated here is because of the American influence, but I like it either way. We don't really go trick or tricking here or even decorate our houses or anything. It's just a day in which you can dress up as whatever you like and go out to have fun without anyone saying anything about it. So yeah, an excuse to dress up and run around looking stupid? It's just like carnival, and I'm in.

Halloween hasn't got much steam at all where I live but Its still a really awesome holiday. A day dedicated to the more darker aspects of society (even if they have been buried under a layer of kids in costumes and sweets) is great and its original values shouldn't be under played or forgotten.