I'm calling out Shade on his foolery

Qoseph

Wait I always thought that Shade adopted Corey's Haunter and evolved him into Gengar. In some episode, I vaguely remember that Corey has a haunter (does he still have it now? I forgot :/).

I thought his team was Skrelp, Croagunk, Grimer, Nidorina, Skuntank, & Crobat?

I thought his team was Skrelp, Croagunk, Grimer, Nidorina, Skuntank, & Crobat?

That's his team as of Episode 15, I can confirm.

Looks like Corey's old Haunter may just be Shade's Gengar now; after all, Haunter evolves when traded.

So he traded haunter to Shade before the events of his episode now?

That just makes it even harder to believe it's his haunter that's Shade's gengar. What did he trade it for exactly and why? Plus another thing, when corey released his pokemon, he didn't have haunter on him, yet still had a full team of 6 pokemon. Even when haunter was on corey's team, at what point would shade have gotten it via a trade in between his battle and corey's death? He couldn't have gotten it off his corpse since he had already released the pokemon he had on him. And since he goes to the bridge immediately after his defeat, it's not like he took the time to go the power plant, trade his haunter(for nothing in return) and be off. You can say haunter was released offscreen but then the whole evolves when traded thing would be moot unless we assume shade just used a linkstone. It seems more convoluted to have haunter as corey's gengar really when you think about it.

all this "Gengar is Corey's Haunter" and "Gengar is Corey himself" theory exchanges are pretty interesting-

possible Ep.15 spoilers- if you haven't caught up then what are you doing reading this thread

but in the end, the "Gengar is Corey" one makes WAAAYY more sense. i mean, it would be possible if Shade literally took Corey's soul and turned him into a Gengar because well...he's Shade. we know absolutely nothing about him aside from the fact that he foresaw/can foresee certain character's demise. like, Corey, Kiki, and Amaria (she survived but i'll get to that later) and i think i forgot one more..?

but- Amaria was rescued by Tania, and just when we were just about to leave the treatment center Shade appears. he says something about 4 people and 2 of those people were dead or something and eventually the 3rd one (Amaria possibly) will be too. hinting that even tho we saved Amaria, she's still going to inevitably die.

...that or i completely misunderstood Shade's dialogue. seriously who frickin talks like that--

we know absolutely nothing about him aside from the fact that he foresaw/can foresee certain character's demise. like, Corey, Kiki, and Amaria (she survived but i'll get to that later) and i think i forgot one more..?

The other one was Lin.

So he traded haunter to Shade before the events of his episode now?

That just makes it even harder to believe it's his haunter that's Shade's gengar. What did he trade it for exactly and why? Plus another thing, when corey released his pokemon, he didn't have haunter on him, yet still had a full team of 6 pokemon. Even when haunter was on corey's team, at what point would shade have gotten it via a trade in between his battle and corey's death? He couldn't have gotten it off his corpse since he had already released the pokemon he had on him. And since he goes to the bridge immediately after his defeat, it's not like he took the time to go the power plant, trade his haunter(for nothing in return) and be off. You can say haunter was released offscreen but then the whole evolves when traded thing would be moot unless we assume shade just used a linkstone. It seems more convoluted to have haunter as corey's gengar really when you think about it.

Just the transfer of ownership of Haunter might be enough to trigger a trade evolution. In this case, instead of a normal trade, the transfer was its owner, Corey, dying and being replaced by a new owner.

Or yeah, maybe Shade just used a linkstone.

Doesn't a certain hidden note kinda redeem Corey already?

I was referring to that very note. Corey mentions that he took an eye from his wife's killer (who'd have to be Sirius, the only one missing an eye), but A) He is aware that he hasn't finished his vengeance, since he wants Heather to join him to fight Meteor; and B ) Would he be happy only for taking Sirius' eye? He'd want to kill him, but he committed suicide before finishing the job. Shade can actually help him finish the job - as Gengar. Imagine frigging Gengar Corey eating Sirius' head and tearing it up from his neck - or something. It would be the kind of vengeance he would have been longing for, and it'd have to be a violent enough one to still shock the player. DRAMA.

Edited by Kiroen

but- Amaria was rescued by Tania, and just when we were just about to leave the treatment center Shade appears. he says something about 4 people and 2 of those people were dead or something and eventually the 3rd one (Amaria possibly) will be too. hinting that even tho we saved Amaria, she's still going to inevitably die.

...that or i completely misunderstood Shade's dialogue. seriously who frickin talks like that--

I hardly understood a word of what Shade was trying to say myself. Seriously, Shade, you would be a lot more helpful if you actually just say shit instead of turning everything into some sort of cryptic fucking poetry!

I thought Shade was trying to say only two people of the four were actually going to die from the events he showed us... which really makes no sense when you factor in the prediction of Lin's death, because I'm pretty sure she gets cut/ripped apart.

I'm sure what Star-kin said is closer to however we were supposed to interpret that.

Hey let me go ahead and give you nothing but cryptic fucking hints when the lives of your friends are in danger instead of, you know, just telling you outright and using my skills to fight with you instead of dicking around my glorified basement all day

- Shade

Edited by Protonymic

Just the transfer of ownership of Haunter might be enough to trigger a trade evolution. In this case, instead of a normal trade, the transfer was its owner, Corey, dying and being replaced by a new owner.

Or yeah, maybe Shade just used a linkstone.

Actually transferring ownership alone as far as I know isn't what triggers trade evolution, but rather something involving the energy transfer while trading the pokemon(at least this is how it is in the game, kind of why we always have the"link trade" animations even if the characters are right next to one another such as an in-game trade). It's never really explained very well but the games imply it a few times and I know it plays a part in karrablast/shelmet's evolution.

Plus we know people who die can become ghost pokemon, such as yanmask holding the mask of who they were living as in the past. Actually though contrary to what I believed and said earlier I can't find any official source on selfish people becoming Gengar, I could've sworn I read that somewhere(bulbapedia maye lol it'd figure) but I'm probably mistaken and not even sure where I got that from. Could've been a manga thing or something.

Plus we know people who die can become ghost pokemon, such as yanmask holding the mask of who they were living as in the past. Actually though contrary to what I believed and said earlier I can't find any official source on selfish people becoming Gengar, I could've sworn I read that somewhere(bulbapedia maye lol it'd figure) but I'm probably mistaken and not even sure where I got that from. Could've been a manga thing or something.

The only thing that I can think of is Gengar from PMD1. Abandoned his partner Gardevoir and got turned into a Pokémon for his selfishness.

That is a pretty oddly specific example but I don't think he died, unless he did. Could be where the theory(I'll it that from now on) comes from though.

Living as a gengar in the afterlife would be amazing I would think. Or not even the afterlife, just living as Gengar period would rock.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

That is a pretty oddly specific example but I don't think he died, unless he did. Could be where the theory(I'll it that from now on) comes from though.

Living as a gengar in the afterlife would be amazing I would think. Or not even the afterlife, just living as Gengar period would rock.

No, he didn't die. Just thought that I'd chip in my two cents about where your theory might have come from.

Absorbing heat, sucking out life energy, manipulating shadows... Yeah, being a Gengar would be pretty neat.

I was referring to that very note. Corey mentions that he took an eye from his wife's killer (who'd have to be Sirius, the only one missing an eye), but A) He is aware that he hasn't finished his vengeance, since he wants Heather to join him to fight Meteor; and B ) Would he be happy only for taking Sirius' eye? He'd want to kill him, but he committed suicide before finishing the job. Shade can actually help him finish the job - as Gengar. Imagine frigging Gengar Corey eating Sirius' head and tearing it up from his neck - or something. It would be the kind of vengeance he would have been longing for, and it'd have to be a violent enough one to still shock the player. DRAMA.

Say, how the heck did Corey even get in Team Meteor anyway, after, ya know, poking one of their admins' eyes out. So much for the whole "we do not forgive" thing.

• 2 weeks later...