Defensive Pokemon

alaneapen

I am thinking of breeding/training some defensive pokemon like Quagsire, Amoongus, Gourgeist, Treveneant, etc. What are some good sets and evs that I should use. I know one set is the Quagsire unware build with scald, eq, toxic and recover.

I'd really say skip all but Gourgeist.

Quagsire is only ever used in comp because it has access to Recover, which is completely worthless in-game since we have healing items.

Amoongus can take hits and Spore stuff, but it really doesn't do worthwhile damage and sleep only lasts 1-3 turns, so even if you wanna put something to sleep and switch into something to kill with, chances are you'll to get only one free hit in, if even that.

Trevenant is very similar to Gourgeist, only differences being that 1) it's way frailer physically and equally bulky specially (though neither are special walls, so whatever); and 2) Trevenant has a good ability with Harvest and a Sitrus Berry. Thing is, it's so much frailer that you're more likely to be knocked out instantly than for you to get into Harvest range.

Only reason I'd say to use Gourgeist is because it's just that good at it. It's best set is Impish, Max HP and Defense EVs, whatever ability, Leech Seed, Will-o-Wisp, Phantom Force, Protect (Will-o and Protect from pre-E13, Yamask is ideal).

It takes next to no damage from physical attacks, can burn foes to weaken them even more, has Leech Seed to have constant good recovery (good, considering how little damage it takes), the dual statuses do 25% damage to the foe per turn, Protect and Phantom Force make it unhittable every 2 out of 3 turns, so the foe pays 75% of their health for one hit that does next to nothing.

I'm really no fan of walls, but this thing managed to solo every single physical foe I threw it at, the Garchomp on Pyrous, PULSE Avalugg, etc, etc.

Gourgeist is a better Wall than trevenant, just check them stats.

CurseLax is also a great option.

Only issue I have with CurseLax being on this list is that it's not what I'd call a purely defensive pokemon. It hits too hard once it gets set up.

In all seriousness, you can breed Curse onto Snorlax using an Avalugg or Bergmite, then set it up with Body Slam, Rest, and either Sleep Talk, Crunch, or Heavy Slam, give it a defensive EV spread of whatever you like between HP, Def, and SpDef with a Careful or Impish nature, and go to town. You can alternatively set it up with Stockpile by training it from a Munchlax, which gives it more balanced defenses and less offensive power.

If you want a defensive pokemon, look no further than contrary shell smash Shuckle. Contrary Shuckle with a chesto berry and shell smash/rest/toxic/infestation can stall out basically every pokemon in existence and a few not in existence.

For Gourgeist, you might want to consider Etesian's set. I think it had Leech Seed/Phantom Force/Protect/Will-O-Wisp or something like that. It came down to only get hit once every 3 turns for little damage. Not sure about the EVs though.
Cofagrigus and Dusclops/Dusknoir are also pretty popular, iirc. No idea what sets they run, though.

cofagrigus is a good physical wall that can also take some special dammage with will-o-wisp,hex,curse,shadow ball,or you can substitude pain split for hex .combine with its mummy ability it can shut down most physical attaking pokemon.you can also go for a trick room set if most of your team is not that fast.

theres always the old favorite miltank curse,milk drink,body slam,seismic toss.

slurpuff with cotton gaurd light screen wish draining kiss or play rough.

dusknoir is also a good choice since he is just a more bulky verson of cofagrigus he is also a physical attaker instead of a special one.

There are better walls but in game this are some of the better ones .