My problem with this field effect

Kaiser the great

So just beat Aya. Wasteland field is literally 'meh'. Entry hazard thing is interesting, and I prefer having them attack me once than over the course of the battle, so kudos to that.

However, shouldn't steel types be immune to toxic spikes? I don't see any special effects that state they're treated as anything other than poison.

See, my problem with this is, steel types lose their immunity to poison, however in that short-circuit field, 'when a attack picks up energy' the ground types retain their immunity.

#JusticeForSteel

perhaps it's because the Toxic Spikes are actually being thrown at them? shouldn't poison them but it will still be spikes thrown at them so I imagine it would do SOME damage but not a whole lot.

Yeah this was my train of thought as well

perhaps it's because the Toxic Spikes are actually being thrown at them? shouldn't poison them but it will still be spikes thrown at them so I imagine it would do SOME damage but not a whole lot.

Yeah this was my train of thought as well

See, but this begs to think about how does 'added effects' affect the attack itself, because then by that logic using Gear Grind is still hitting them with gears, thus some damage should be dealt to a ground type.

Actually going by that logic any physical poison move should do some normal type damage to a steel type. Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, Poison Tail, Poison Fang, etcetera.

But by that logic something like Wild Charge or Thunder Punch should do some normal damage to ground types.

• Administrators

I'm a little confused. Certainly Steel Types should not be poisoned in any case-- is that what's going on?

If you're referring to the damage component, then that is intended since with spikes or needless shooting out of the ground, they're still going to hurt even if something is immune to their poison. That said they hurt much less than normal spikes, which are full stalagmites vs just needles or something

If you're referring to the damage component, then that is intended since with spikes or needless shooting out of the ground, they're still going to hurt even if something is immune to their poison.

Actually going by that logic any physical poison move should do some normal type damage to a steel type. Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, Poison Tail, Poison Fang, etcetera.

Except Poison Jab, Poison Fang, Poison Tail, etc, do 0 damage to steel types. Logic and pokemon don't mix well, half of the pokemon that levitate, but don't have the ability levitate, are still hit by Earthquake and other ground type moves. Such as Klingklang, Metagross, Solrock, Ghastly, Haunter, etc.

Edited by Mortally Divine

Except Poison Jab, Poison Fang, Poison Tail, etc, do 0 damage to steel types. Logic and pokemon don't mix well, half of the pokemon that levitate, but don't have the ability levitate, are still hit by Earthquake and other ground type moves. Such as Klingklang, Metagross, Solrock, Ghastly, Haunter, etc.

Your point is good, but your examples are a little off ^^ After all, Gastly, Haunter, and Solrock all have Levitate :P A better example would be the Magnemite line, who are all clearly levitating but are 4x effected by Ground type attacks

Someone gets where I'm coming from, at last! lmao.

I'm a little confused. Certainly Steel Types should not be poisoned in any case-- is that what's going on?

If you're referring to the damage component, then that is intended since with spikes or needless shooting out of the ground, they're still going to hurt even if something is immune to their poison. That said they hurt much less than normal spikes, which are full stalagmites vs just needles or something

Mostly an example of my argument is the above quote, (might have worded this line wrong) anyhow:

Ignoring the 'they can't be poisoned', because they're immune to poison moves regardless of their shape or form. If you use Poison Jab on a Klinklang, regardless of the fact that the move is still a punch at its core, it's still a poison move, thus it has no effect on said poke. I would imagine this move would still keep its poison typing, seeing as stealth rocks kept its own typing, as well as it having the poison chance. I.E. 'Poison tipped spikes launched at the pokemon are still "Poison" tipped spikes' as much as 'Rocks' being launched from the ground are still just 'rocks.' though if they for some reason lost their typing, at the least add that into the field effects page.

Even with the above said, if 'spikes or needles shooting out of the ground' still have some level of effect, regardless of typing, to the point of ignoring immunities, then shouldn't the short circuit field that adds electric typing to certain steel moves still deal damage to ground types (I.E graveler in this case), because moves like Gear Grind are 'metal gears hitting the opponent, they should still hurt even if something is immune to the electrical charge'.

EDIT: Because this is my thread, also going to ask a question -

Replaying the game because I lost my save data, and I'm at yureyu, are there any big story changes depending on who you battle? if any, spoiler tag plz.

Edited by Kaiser the great

the answer is its a game

the physical poison moves not hurting steel types was a decision made by the people who made pokemon and although i agree physical attacks should do something thats most likely not going to happen any time soon

amethyst created most of the fields herself and as such she can decide what logic applys where

and on the hole magnimite/ton/zone levitating thing you would have to either replace one of its other ability's or give is a 2nd ability

however its implied it hovers with electromagnetism and it gets the move magnet rise soooooooo yeah

its not going to be a perfect system ever unless amethyst wants to add a HUGE amount of work to her already big load just to change the core mechanics of pokemon by changing the immunity rules and change ability's/add 2nd ability's

and with how much is speculated to change in ep 16 i dont think she would want to do that

the answer is its a game

the physical poison moves not hurting steel types was a decision made by the people who made pokemon and although i agree physical attacks should do something thats most likely not going to happen any time soon

amethyst created most of the fields herself and as such she can decide what logic applys where

and on the hole magnimite/ton/zone levitating thing you would have to either replace one of its other ability's or give is a 2nd ability

however its implied it hovers with electromagnetism and it gets the move magnet rise soooooooo yeah

its not going to be a perfect system ever unless amethyst wants to add a HUGE amount of work to her already big load just to change the core mechanics of pokemon by changing the immunity rules and change ability's/add 2nd ability's

and with how much is speculated to change in ep 16 i dont think she would want to do that

We know its a game, which is why this is being brought up.

I'm not sure who you're talking to when it comes to 'physical poison moves not affecting steel types', so I'll just ignore that.

Ame did create field effects, and while they're a nice additions, they still follow the rules of pokemon - which is what I've already brought up with the short circuit field thing.

Again I don't think this next line is meant for me, so I won't comment on it.

No one is asking for ame to change the core mechanics by messing with immunities or changing abilities. All we're saying is Immunities work in a certain way, and if a field effect turns a typed move into a attacking one, then it should follow any resistance rules that apply to it, or atleast come with a explanation other than "well, you see, it turns into a spike which should hurt the thing it gets hit by". (This isn't really a snarky comment at anyone in particular, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten this answer 2-3 times in this thread and it literally doesn't make sense.)

Edited by Kaiser the great

Point taken regarding poison jab, etc. This will be fixed, then.

Thank you for listening to my collective naggings, just to try and make sure that things don't end on a sour note, I will say I have nothing against field effects as a whole and they bring a interesting side to the normal droll of battles, as to not appear ungrateful.

dōmo arigatō misutā Robōto