Fire Emblem Fates Thread

Godot

The feature is getting hate from a lot of veterans because it's one of the many confirmations that the series is moving in a different direction than what it was when they first got introduced into it, and they happen to not like it. Me? I'm fine with the marriages returning, but if the kids are included because of time travel again instead of a time skip, I will be slightly irritated, unless they just happen to be fun little extras with no impact on the plot. I've played every game in the series, and have been a major fan of it since the first North American release, but just 4 years ago if you had told me that the next Fire Emblem game would include a player insert that could marry any opposite member of the cast and have time travel children I would've questioned if you were talking about the right series. (FE: Fates main character is looking to be a more interesting player created character than Robin or Kris were though) Starting with New Mystery and it's inclusion of a player created avatar (FE12) the series has been moving in a new direction, and it's estranged many old fans.

I've embraced it, more or less, and plan to have fun with the future of the Fire Emblem series unless it were to remove all of the strategy elements or became an eroge game, which seems extremely unlikely at this moment.

The gen one mentality comes to mind with those who don't like the change. I'm personally okay with the time travel thing, but as stated earlier I've only really played Awakening. Fates being 2 games is the biggest drawback i see. The springs is a little shady. However I think the marriage aspect gives it replay value, it's fun to try to get all the s rank conversations done

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gen one mentality comes to mind with those who don't like the change. I'm personally okay with the time travel thing, but as stated earlier I've only really played Awakening. Fates being 2 games is the biggest drawback i see. The springs is a little shady. However I think the marriage aspect gives it replay value, it's fun to try to get all the s rank conversations done

The thing is though, the tone and feel of the old games and Awakening/the "my castle" stuff in Fates is completely different from each other. (The Nohr version is intentionally trying to be more familiar in tone and feel to the old games) This change in tone and appealing to a wider audience has left many of the older fans feeling betrayed, especially since Fates has basically confirmed that this is the future of the series. The old fans feel like they have been left to rot, while Intelligent Systems (The company that makes the Fire Emblem games, IS for short) chases new money. While IS has been trying to appeal to both the old fans and the new with Fates, the problem lies in that many of the older fans absolutely loathe many of the things that Awakening (and "my castle", which includes marriage, children, and a customizable main character) brought to the table (which largely appeal to the new fans), and are in outrage about them even being included in Fire Emblem Fates, as to them, these features take away from the Fire Emblem feel, and in their eyes turn the game into "Otaku pandering garbage." (NOT my thoughts or feelings on the matter, but that's been a very common statement on the Fire Emblem subreddit, for example) These changes are more drastic than those between Pokemon generations, and while I do think many of the people are overreacting, I can understand why. They feel that their favorite series is now being made to appeal to a completely different audience. (The only Fire Emblem community I've seen be civil about these new things is Serenes Forest)

Time travel is simply a very risky move, and can completely undermine a narrative if done poorly. Children were in the last game, and unless it's a time skip people don't want time travel in another game, especially if they are plot relevant.

It's a bit irritating to me though, that a lot people are ignoring the advertised improvements that Fate is bringing to the table. It brought some desperately needed balance to certain mechanics such as pair-up (which was introduced in Awakening and was problematic because in the hands of a skilled player in completely broke the game), and 1-2 range weapons. (they are now unable to double attack, which is good as they have been breaking the games since the beginning of the series)

Apologies for a long winded post, especially if I did a poor job making sense. (It's very late where I'm at, and I'm tired but I don't feel like sleeping.)

Edited by Mighty Kamina

You know... these old hardcore fans should be thankful for Awakening... Awakening was supposed to be the last Fire Emblem... but BECAUSE IT WAS SO POPULAR it was decided to make another one.

I don't get why they don't like the player avatar. I personally liked it. because it is YOUR journey and you don't just follow the MC/Lords (Marth/Chrom/Eliwood/Ike etc.) around. Fates combines both, you are the MC and it is your journey, your decisions... not the ones of another MC which are just scripted into it.

Time Travel is always a convenient but dangerous plot-device, that's why I generally don't like it... but it was somewhat alright in Awakening... except for the fact that "Masked Marth" CAN KILL Chrom in the Ferox Arena Battle... therefore effectiveley nullifying the whole Time Travel thing! (That's why I hate Time Travel... it opens up plot-holes! and I HATE plot-holes!)

Also the hardcore fans don't need to utilize the new functions, like S-Support marriages... or Support Conversations in generall if they hate these features so much... geez it's all optional but it helps your units.

Why they could hate on Casual-Mode or the no Weapon-durability... I can understand but Casual-mode is also OPTIONAL... just use Classic and your fine...

Weapon-durability... I too have mixed feelings but I always hated it when the enemy swarmed my unit who has this one weapon equipped and they suicide themself just to break that weapon... urgh... but on the other hand your convoy isn't filled with low-quality, low-durability weapons anymore.

Anyway... let the Waifu-Wars begin :P

You know... these old hardcore fans should be thankful for Awakening... Awakening was supposed to be the last Fire Emblem... but BECAUSE IT WAS SO POPULAR it was decided to make another one.

To be fair, the goal was 250000 units to be considered a success and get more sequels, which is benchmark that every game in the series except Thracia 776 has met. (Thracia 776 was for the Super Nintendo in 1999.) I am quite glad that Awakening did make the series much more popular though.

Edited by Mighty Kamina

• Developers

I don't get why they don't like the player avatar. I personally liked it. because it is YOUR journey and you don't just follow the MC/Lords (Marth/Chrom/Eliwood/Ike etc.) around. Fates combines both, you are the MC and it is your journey, your decisions... not the ones of another MC which are just scripted into it.

Time Travel is always a convenient but dangerous plot-device, that's why I generally don't like it... but it was somewhat alright in Awakening... except for the fact that "Masked Marth" CAN KILL Chrom in the Ferox Arena Battle... therefore effectiveley nullifying the whole Time Travel thing! (That's why I hate Time Travel... it opens up plot-holes! and I HATE plot-holes!)

Also the hardcore fans don't need to utilize the new functions, like S-Support marriages... or Support Conversations in generall if they hate these features so much... geez it's all optional but it helps your units.

Why they could hate on Casual-Mode or the no Weapon-durability... I can understand but Casual-mode is also OPTIONAL... just use Classic and your fine...

Weapon-durability... I too have mixed feelings but I always hated it when the enemy swarmed my unit who has this one weapon equipped and they suicide themself just to break that weapon... urgh... but on the other hand your convoy isn't filled with low-quality, low-durability weapons anymore.

Anyway... let the Waifu-Wars begin :P

So, I've been playing the series for a long time, and I'm generally one of those Veteran fans like Kamina that accepts the new changes. However I figured I'd respond to all of the stuff you said to give some insight. (For record, I started playing with Sacred Stones, but grew to love the whole series so much that I've played every game except 1 [Which felt just a little too outdated to me. I played S.D. though.]

So, there were a couple of features of Fates that, while I liked the ideas or liked them in Awakening, I had reservations.

I think a lot of the problems people had with the Avatar in New Mystery & Awakening was that in 12, he was entirely irrelevant as a character, and in 13, he/she completely overshadowed Chrom, who was meant to be the main character. Making the Avatar actually the main character in Fates is the best way I think it can be done, so I'm totally happy with that.

Now, I'm okay with Time Travel as a plot mechanic, as long as it was done well I swear I'm the only person that liked that aspect of the FFXIII series.

I wasn't so keen on it in Awakening. I love kids as a mechanic (Geneaology is one of my favourite FE games), and Iappreciated how it was done in Awakening but... I'd rather them not pull Time Travel again. Not a huge issue to me, but it'd be nice if they could integrate it better. Or even just not have them as part of the plot at all, then I wouldn't care how the kids are there if they're just a bit of fun side content.

Now, I've totally never had any problem with Casual being an option. I like it being an option, brings more people in that'd otherwise be put off the series Plus I can act all smug that I play classic. Not to mention Casual is the only way I managed to beat Lunatic Mode in Awakening. The only thing that dissapoints me about Phoenix mode is that it can only be played on Normal. I wanted to Nohr!Lunatic!Phoenix mode. Still, moreo ptions I don't have ot use are fine.

Now, I had two key reservations about Weapon Durability being removed, and both were addressed. Firstly, things like it just entirely breaking balance. The fact that each weapon has it's associated buff and debuffs means that the stronger weapons WILL be largely better, but there's still a use for the weaker stuff.

My second issue with Staves, which I figured couldn't possibly be balanced with infinite uses. Which it appeared I was right about, because they're limited as always.

I do wonder how Legendary weapons will be handled though, whether they're downright broken, or just slightly better than normal... I'll be happy either way, but I'm curious.

Anyway, that's just my two cents, I guess.

I doubt any characters will return. I don't remember any of the other games having returning characters outside of Tiki.

Most of the games have characters with similar traits depending on their job class.

Can I see screenshots of the supposed returning characters?

I've got you covered mate.

Luna (Severa):

fami0406-p2.jpg

Lazward (Inigo) and Odin (Owain):

fami1106-1.jpg

Shara (Tharja): (She's in the smallest picture, bear in mind that as a child character she's inherited her mother's hair. Children are linked to their fathers this time around.)

fefates-marriage-2a.jpg

I suppose I can consider myself one of these "hardcore" or veteran fans because I'd been playing a while before Awakening's release.

I like how they're fixing the balance issues and whatnot, and I have mixed feelings about the weapon durability, but so far that seems balanced enough.

I dont mind casual mode, because as said previously it is optional. Phoenix Mode seems a little pointless, but that's just me and I don't mind it either.

I wouldn't really like to see time travel again since it was just done. I hope they find a new way to implement the kids. (Not FE4 scale mind you. That game did it in a special way. No spoilers though, go play it for yourself.)

I have mixed feelings on the avatar as well, but I don't think it's a terrible idea if they make them the main character. In 12 he was generic and I didnt really care about him and in Awakening he completely overshadowed Chrom. This way, at least, the avatar can be their own person without either of these issues. Really I'm just hyped for a lord with dragonstones whether they be avatar or not.

I don't really know how I feel about capturing coming back yet. Thracia offset the free items with nightmarish difficulty, and if Fates capturing works the same way it will be kind of unbalanced since the difficulty won't be there.

It's a bit irritating to me though, that a lot people are ignoring the advertised improvements that Fate is bringing to the table. It brought some desperately needed balance to certain mechanics such as pair-up (which was introduced in Awakening and was problematic because in the hands of a skilled player in completely broke the game), and 1-2 range weapons. (they are now unable to double attack, which is good as they have been breaking the games since the beginning of the series)

This is what is rustling my jimmies. Most of the self proclaimed "true FE fans" are bashing the game and saying it will be the 'worst game ever', JUST for this returning feature.

Someone at Serene Forest told me a pretty silly comparison of the current situation. I get that some of the fanbase gets pretty annoying, but as every annoying fanbase, can't they just ignore it?

Edited by RasenShot

Chrom gave the group direction and cohesion.

Robin IS a main character as the group's tactician and especially when you find out

Robin has the mark of Grima, to counter chrom's mark of Naga

And I wouldn't say Chrom is overshadowed when you can reclass him and buff him up to holy hell levels too.

375aeeae6a85c72a61747e84c0c8f09b.jpg

I hope I can really change Corrin's default look cuz I really don't like that look at all. And the one whose design Godot doesn't like is basically a white, blond version of marth. And someone who helps corrin early on with a moral dilemma.

Didn't realize that the MC's American name is Corrin.

Corrin is Greek for Maiden and Kamui is the name of some Devine being in some eastern mythology.

The name Corrin also has ties to Persephone. Which is fitting since she is the daughter of the goddess of nature and is taken away by Hades.

Corrin is the child of the close to nature, Hoshido, and is taken away by the Nohr.

The name Corrin also has ties to Persephone. Which is fitting since she is the daughter of the goddess of nature and is taken away by Hades.

Corrin is the child of the close to nature, Hoshido, and is taken away by the Nohr.

Ooh greek mythology. This should be interesting

People love Greek mythology, while a mythology geek like me sighs when I see it. Greek is so overdone >>

Cuz it's rather well known across the US (and perhaps the globe?) and has a lot of really interesting characters and motifs to play around with. Can't really think of any other mythology that has as much character. Ancient egyptian might come close, but I'm not all that familiar with them.

Besides, what says western culture as much as the ancient Greeks, one of the roots of western civilization?

Cuz it's rather well known across the US (and perhaps the globe?) and has a lot of really interesting characters and motifs to play around with. Can't really think of any other mythology that has as much character. Ancient egyptian might come close, but I'm not all that familiar with them.

Besides, what says western culture as much as the ancient Greeks, one of the roots of western civilization?

Old Chinese lore is pretty cool. Norse mythology is epic. However Greek (& Roman for that matter) are fairly easy to go with because of how vast they are. Roman is probably easier than Greek because of the spread of the Roman conquest

but WHICH Asura may it come from?

the DEMONIC Asura from Hinduism

or

the HEAVENLY Asura from Buddhism

when I think about it... it could come from both...

She is the Princess of Nohr (which King is, no doubt it, EVIL) -> demonic Asura

but she always seemed to be soft-hearted -> Heavenly

In the trailer we see her wearing a black and a white dress while dancing... most likeley tied to the path we take / the decisions we make in game.

An intruiging choice for a localized name indeed...

But still... I somehow have the feeling that her original Name "Aqua" has some deeper meaning to it, and fear that this meaning could be *butchered* by localization

(something I always fear with localizations... that some deeper meanings just get 'lost in translation')

You scrubs are reading too much into Azura's name. It is a play on words for the term "Asure" which is used to describe things that are blue. Unless it is a combination of both.

Also Norse, Hinduism, and Shinto Judiaism has tons to pull from. And there are some rather interesting native stories spread thoughout all three Americas.

You scrubs are reading too much into Azura's name. It is a play on words for the term "Asure" which is used to describe things that are blue. Unless it is a combination of both.

Also Norse, Hinduism, and Shinto Judiaism has tons to pull from. And there are some rather interesting native stories spread thoughout all three Americas.

I honestly thought of the word Azure when I saw the name Azura. (Azure is a bluish hue)

Well, she has an aquatic-themed(?) lance. Now that everyone mentioned it, it makes more sense to be just a pun on the color blue (her hair, her Hoshido dress, and water although water is not really blue but whatever)

There's water in her artwork too:

Well, she has an aquatic-themed(?) lance. Now that everyone mentioned it, it makes more sense to be just a pun on the color blue (her hair, her Hoshido dress, and water although water is not really blue but whatever)

There's water in her artwork too

also, during the trailer we mostly see her at that lake, where she meets with the Avatar/Kamui/Corrin

With The Avatar beeing a (Divine?)Dragon... maybe Aqua/Azura, somehow, is a Water Dragon?

In one trailer we see her blue-gem-pendant light up... maybe that is her Dragonstone?

(as far as I know Water Dragons were supposed to make an appearance in "New Mystery of the Emblem", but were cut due to be too similar to the Ice-dragons)

Which would open up the possibility, that she was, like the Avatar, abducted by King Garon and raised as the Princess of Nohr...