Is the anime worth watching?

zareason

The anime imo is terrible with Ash winning all his battle via impossible tauros poop that can only happen in an anime. His pikachu loses to mere unevolved starters but can somehow beat legendaries and stuff of that caliber. It's too annoying to watch

It's something for kids to enjoy so yeah, no expectations for anything beyond that.

I remember a time in which he defeated a lightning rod Rhyperior with thunderbolt. There are lots of these things: dark types being harmed by psybeam, ground types being harmed by thunderbolt, levitating mons as if their ability did nothing, and of course, pikachu's power level being over 9000.

So to all this, zareason what's gonna be, are you gonna watch an ep of it or not? all the animes people have suggested are pretty cool tho, plus origins and the mega evolution special are both worth giving them a try, specially origins.

I remember a time in which he defeated a lightning rod Rhyperior with thunderbolt. There are lots of these things: dark types being harmed by psybeam, ground types being harmed by thunderbolt, levitating mons as if their ability did nothing, and of course, pikachu's power level being over 9000.

So to all this, zareason what's gonna be, are you gonna watch an ep of it or not? all the animes people have suggested are pretty cool tho, plus origins and the mega evolution special are both worth giving them a try, specially origins.

Don't forget the thunder armor in Hoenn vs Tate and Liza. With a pikachu magically not harming swellow with thunderbolt but creating a thunder armor for it -facewall- The list goes on, but better not delve into it

Pokemon Origins sucks. The normal Pokemon anime is amazing. If you want to have a proper run at Reborn, you MUST watch the anime. Seriously. The main Pokemon series games are so easy it's ridiculous; Pokemon battling in the anime, on the other hand, is really, really difficult - more difficult than even Reborn is.

Most of the people posting here probably grew up with the games first and as such they're a part of one huge side of the pokemon fandom. They hate on the anime because they haven't even watched it properly. Anyone who tells you to only watch X number of seasons has, I guarantee you, not watched the other seasons.

One major thing that separates the two sides is how pokemon are captured, trained, and used in battle:

The game side tends to do IV training, excessive breeding for abilities, use type effectiveness and naturally overpowering pokemon, and catch all pokemon only to discard them when they are no longer useful; they also transfer pokemon from other regions as soon as possible, allowing them to steamroll the region.

The anime side believes that those things are impure. They believe that trainers should accept the pokemon they meet and catch as they are and use those pokemon strategically in battle, learning their pokemon's possible strengths and weakness through difficult combat. The anime-side trainers believe that type effectiveness and higher stats aren't everything and they also believe in using a region's pokemon to beat that region rather than transferring.

As an anime trainer, I have OWNED Reborn so far without a sweat by using the strategies in the anime. I tend to use the same pokemon as often as possible in the journey. I very rarely ever grind since normal battling has given me enough experience for my normal team. My definition of "training" is testing out my pokemon's capabilities and their ability to use teamwork. I take joy in defeating tough enemies, rather than steamrolling them with specifically chosen OP pokemon.

Another thing that the game side tends to do that the anime side doesn't is Nuzlocke. Nuzlocke rules tend to follow the ideology that one single defeat is unacceptable because of the desire for the "perfect run" and that the events in games should be ignored in order to follow set standards that don't allow things like catching multiples of one pokemon.

Nuzlocking and similar playstyles go completely against the nature of the anime, which teaches trainers to accept defeat, cherish every memory of the journey, and treat your pokemon well. The anime often attacks gamers by showing visual representations of what gamers do as no-nos; Paul forcing his chimchar to get beaten to shreds and eventually just throwing it away were similar to actions done by gamers (this all happens in the episode Top-Down Training!).

Gamers tend to view any defeat and any weakness in a pokemon to be negatives that destroy their view of their so-called perfect main game trainers. They think that the conquering of a League is something that those characters would always do and that any possible weakness in that trainer is a lie. They also ignore the difference in difficulty between the game and anime, wherein the former is far, far easier.

I would suggest watching the entire anime yourself and to pay attention to all of the subtle differences between the game world and anime world. Also remember that the anime always happens BEFORE the game does, so various possible events like the destruction of gangs and the shown gym masters happen at a different time between the mediums.

That's because Ash is Red's shadow; He'll never be as good a trainer as he is. ;3

Ash punched Mewtwo. He can use Aura. He's literally the King of the Ocean.

Ash might not be as good a trainer but he is a way better character.

• Global Mods

I watched up to the first DP season, where I stopped because I thought the new theme song and the episodes were boring. A few issues I had with the anime:

-Some type immunities are contradicted. Early on it's established Electric doesn't work against Ground, but near the Pokemon League at the end of season 1 Pikachu took out a trainer's Marowak with Thundershock. Also the "aim for the horn" thing. The sprinkler scene in Brock's gym makes sense, but in some other cases (like the Marowak) there's nothing on the field that would change type matchups.

-Ash using the Pokedex to look up Pokemon that he's already seen and used the Pokedex on before

-Some minor errors, like Brock calling Furret a Ground type and "Arbok evolves into Seviper"

-It seems like almost everyone's skill level is completely random. The only ones whose power seemed to consistently stand out compared to everyone else are the Elite Four and Brandon. Ash took three tries to beat Brandon, and eventually won. Then when they went to Sinnoh he somehow lost to Roark's Cranidos, then beat him after Roark's Cranidos evolved.

On a positive note I did like how the anime did Contests.

Also the Bill's lighthouse episode made me legitimately mad/sad because after all that buildup the giant Dragonite finally comes to meet Bill and Team Rocket kept pelting it with explosives, causing it to go away sad, probably thinking Bill lured it there as a trap. And somehow Bill still thinks it'll come back.

Edited by Ice Cream Sand Witch

Pokemon Origins sucks. The normal Pokemon anime is amazing. If you want to have a proper run at Reborn, you MUST watch the anime. Seriously. The main Pokemon series games are so easy it's ridiculous; Pokemon battling in the anime, on the other hand, is really, really difficult - more difficult than even Reborn is.

Most of the people posting here probably grew up with the games first and as such they're a part of one huge side of the pokemon fandom. They hate on the anime because they haven't even watched it properly. Anyone who tells you to only watch X number of seasons has, I guarantee you, not watched the other seasons.

One major thing that separates the two sides is how pokemon are captured, trained, and used in battle:

The game side tends to do IV training, excessive breeding for abilities, use type effectiveness and naturally overpowering pokemon, and catch all pokemon only to discard them when they are no longer useful; they also transfer pokemon from other regions as soon as possible, allowing them to steamroll the region.

The anime side believes that those things are impure. They believe that trainers should accept the pokemon they meet and catch as they are and use those pokemon strategically in battle, learning their pokemon's possible strengths and weakness through difficult combat. The anime-side trainers believe that type effectiveness and higher stats aren't everything and they also believe in using a region's pokemon to beat that region rather than transferring.

As an anime trainer, I have OWNED Reborn so far without a sweat by using the strategies in the anime. I tend to use the same pokemon as often as possible in the journey. I very rarely ever grind since normal battling has given me enough experience for my normal team. My definition of "training" is testing out my pokemon's capabilities and their ability to use teamwork. I take joy in defeating tough enemies, rather than steamrolling them with specifically chosen OP pokemon.

Another thing that the game side tends to do that the anime side doesn't is Nuzlocke. Nuzlocke rules tend to follow the ideology that one single defeat is unacceptable because of the desire for the "perfect run" and that the events in games should be ignored in order to follow set standards that don't allow things like catching multiples of one pokemon.

Nuzlocking and similar playstyles go completely against the nature of the anime, which teaches trainers to accept defeat, cherish every memory of the journey, and treat your pokemon well. The anime often attacks gamers by showing visual representations of what gamers do as no-nos; Paul forcing his chimchar to get beaten to shreds and eventually just throwing it away were similar to actions done by gamers (this all happens in the episode Top-Down Training!).

Gamers tend to view any defeat and any weakness in a pokemon to be negatives that destroy their view of their so-called perfect main game trainers. They think that the conquering of a League is something that those characters would always do and that any possible weakness in that trainer is a lie. They also ignore the difference in difficulty between the game and anime, wherein the former is far, far easier.

I would suggest watching the entire anime yourself and to pay attention to all of the subtle differences between the game world and anime world. Also remember that the anime always happens BEFORE the game does, so various possible events like the destruction of gangs and the shown gym masters happen at a different time between the mediums.

Ash punched Mewtwo. He can use Aura. He's literally the King of the Ocean.

Ash might not be as good a trainer but he is a way better character.

Do you also defeat ground types with electric attacks?

honestly with anything weather or not its worth watching depends on your tastes because everyone likes different things

i absolutely HATE anime so much for so many reasons but i have to say that as a kid when i watched pokemon with some friends (first seasons) it was...ok

if you like a series with a stupid protagonist that only succeeds because the plot demands it then you might like pokemon

if you like creative battles that differ from what you can do in the games then you might like it

if you like repetitive Japaneses cultured jokes then you might like it

as for me no i dont recommend it because...well aside from being anime its filled with dumb humor, a stupid protagonist, to much cartoony weird face thing they do (what the term for that in anime when someones face compleatly defies physics), and the only good part was some battles key word being "some"

my overall recommendation is to watch RWBY because its anime done right but thats just my opinion

The anime has its charms. Even through its lesser moments. I dunno. I really enjoy it still. Maybe its preference, or just me.

Everything has flaws, and it comes down to what you enjoy.

Every anime is different, and most have charms in their own way.

Like every controversial anime. Take sao. Half (or more) dislike it for reasons, others think its the greatest thing ever, and a few see flaws, but enjoy it regardless.

I would just say give it a chance, and see if its your slice of bread.

Edited by Myst

If you want a legit pokemon anime watch origins or the Mega evolution special even through Origins only 5 esp. it follow the red and blue series to a T even though the ending was unnecessary but still good and other Anime it goes by what you are looking for and never judge by how it look because it took me months until watch KillLaKill and that one of best short Anime long running between fairyTail or any of the big Western styles btw don't forget DBZ returning show that one also

The current series is decent.

Bonnie is adorable, serena has a crush on ash and Clemont can be funny at times.

Ash is certainly better than his b/w self. His frogadier, flechinder, and motherfreakin hawlucha are all cool and he even has a noibat now.

My biggest problem with the series is that Ash got a Goomy(!) that he evolved all the way to Goodra(!!!!), and then let him go. Said goodra had an incredible backstory, and was a powerhouse(he could fly by using Dragon pulse from his hands ala Ironman).

Do you also defeat ground types with electric attacks?

Yes, actually. You don't?

(Note that I acknowledge the type problem with the thundershock. But seriously... Tail whip.)

From Bulbapedia: "Static. When a Pokémon with this Ability is hit by a move that makes contact, there is a 30% chance that the attacking Pokémon will become paralyzed. This can affect Ground-type Pokémon." The marowak was attacking Pikachu furiously. According to anime logic, this would mean that it would inevitably become weak to electric-type. This actually sounds better to me than the game logic.

Edited by Rezilia

Ever since Brock left and B/W series started, a lot of people probably hit the brick wall very hard to NOT watch the X and Y series.

But I do respect their opinion and criticism. What I meant by brick wall is what's in their mind which looks something like:

"WHY BROCK!? WHY 5TH GEN GARBAGE POKEMON!? WHO'RE THESE PEOPLE!? I HATE THESE PEOPLE!!"

"Red is love, Red is life, Ash is pathetic when he cries!" "Are you kidding me? THAT BATTLE DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!"

"The storyline is mediocre." "Why does his level 100 Pikachu lose?" "Serena sucks because she isn't do anything!"

"How is Ash encountering so many legendaries? He doesn't deserve to be seen!" "They made corn very corny."

"Ash is the stupidest trainer ever!" "Oh come on! They're ideas are going down hill!" "These gym battles are lame."

"Why did Misty leave? THAT'S IT. I'M DONE WATCHING THE SERIES!"

"Why did May leave? THAT'S IT. I'M DONE WATCHING THE SERIES!"

"Why did Dawn leave? THAT'S IT. I'M DONE WATCHING THE SERIES!"

"SHUT UP IRIS! NO ONE LIKES YOU. I'M DONE WATCHING THE SERIES!"

...Anyways, you get the idea. However, there is one important thing that many people continue to forget:

Most of the things in the pokemon anime are different from the games meaning there is no such things as levels, IVs, game logics, etc.

The anime may use an evasive Magikarp with Splash to reflect a judgement in order to kill Arceus.

This isn't the games. The decision is up to you whether you want to watch the anime or not.

If you do want to watch, I recommend watching it in Japanese because the English Dub will delete some music, scenes, intro, outro etc. and possibly have unfitting voice actors.

I'm watching the X and Y series just because I get more info on the gym leaders, champion, pokemon, etc. but I also enjoy the vivid animations they added.

The most frustrating part of this anime was that one episode where Pikachu had the chance to evolve into Raichu but didn't go through with it. Inconsistencies I don't mind, but that moment was so "EVOLVE DAMMIT, THIS AIN'T LITTLE CUP"

Edited by DarkSpite

Yes, actually. You don't?

(Note that I acknowledge the type problem with the thundershock. But seriously... Tail whip.)

From Bulbapedia: "Static. When a Pokémon with this Ability is hit by a move that makes contact, there is a 30% chance that the attacking Pokémon will become paralyzed. This can affect Ground-type Pokémon." The marowak was attacking Pikachu furiously. According to anime logic, this would mean that it would inevitably become weak to electric-type. This actually sounds better to me than the game logic.

But static itself deals no damage :? Even if we say a ground type gets affected by it.. Oh well. I'll never like nor approve of the ways they make Ash win most of his gym battles in the anime. That said, Ash vs Paul 1st 6v6 battle was THE best and most realistic battle Ash will ever have.. that's what would normally be happening in his battles if plotarmor didn't exist. I'd much rather him for once be prepared with counters and not just sending out a quadruple weak pokemon against whatever gym and winning via plotarmor or some magical spinning moves that go through anything

The pokemon anime sucks. Its really such a repetitive show with Ash and co. walking on a route, Team Rocket kidnaps the pokemon and blasts off at the end. The only good episodes were the first few from the original series and I think XY is OK at best.

The pokemon anime sucks. Its really such a repetitive show with Ash and co. walking on a route, Team Rocket kidnaps the pokemon and blasts off at the end. The only good episodes were the first few from the original series and I think XY is OK at best.

There was a time in BW where team rocket actually became kinda cool and stopped trying to kidnap a pokemon every ep... kill me if I know why they made them revert back to the petty thieves who blast off every ep :|

I was under the impression that people wernt fond of the BW Rockets, missing how they used to be.

..Really? But why? Repeating the same thing for over 10 years, it was a really great change for them imo. They actually felt "badass" for once instead of having that clown vibe

When I first saw them all new my impression was "this is cool."

And they werent bad imo, so it was interesting.

Im not really sure why other people disliked them. Even if it wasnt majority or was.

I loved the BW Team Rocket. I think what people didn't like was how they were so detached from Ash's journey. Their missions always required them to do things that kept them from being acknowledged by Our Heroes. It's kind of hard to call "Ash & the gang" heroes when they weren't ever set up to do heroics. That was the problem with TR in BW - they won TOO much and were never there to get their butts kicked by Ash...or anyone, really.