Bayleef (Soon to be Meganium) Help

redangel

I've trained a lot of the Chikorita line during my quests throughout the Pokemon world but Reborn is a different place than the rest of the land of Pokemon and may require a different set than I'm used to training. I was wondering if anyone would like to give some some pointers on having a successful Plant Dinosaur in the world of reborn. Thus far, I've had no issues with her and she's gotten me out of quite a few jams and has been overall reliable as a starter. She just sort of stalls out most foes and I've had her faint only a few times. She's sort of destroying everything. I'm up to the fourth gym right now and I have her team mates so I'm not worried about the poison.

Here's her Moves as of right now

Nature: Quirky
Characteristic: Mischievous
Ability: Leaf Guard

Move 1: Reflect
Move 2: Synthesis
Move 3: Magical Leaf
Move 4: Poison powder

I was wondering if I should make any changes since I know some more moves come up in her learnset that are useful. I find myself stalling out my opponents as they die to Poison more often than not. I'd like to be able to have a tanky bruiser build but I'm not entirely sure if that would work in Reborn.

Any ideas? (Also if you need more information I can give it to you, I just don't have a set team right now other than Meowstic Female murdering everything in her path and I'm excessively training up most of the pokemon I have)

As much as I hate to say it, don't use it. Meganium is my favorite starter of all, but it just doesn't work. Your best bet would be some support-y set with Body Slam, Reflect, Light Screen and I guess Petal Blizzard, but there's way better defensive stuff in the game, and this isn't a game in which defensive stuff is useful. You could try to run an offensive set on it, but almost everything outclasses it.

As much as I hate to say it, don't use it. Meganium is my favorite starter of all, but it just doesn't work. Your best bet would be some support-y set with Body Slam, Reflect, Light Screen and I guess Petal Blizzard, but there's way better defensive stuff in the game, and this isn't a game in which defensive stuff is useful. You could try to run an offensive set on it, but almost everything outclasses it.

I'm planning on taking Meganium all the way and while I understand things do outclass it I still want to use it. If it gets to the point where I can't use it at all then I'll stop using it but as it stands its been an invaluable asset to me in Reborn thus far.

Thank you for the idea of a moveset though.

Right now my Meganium(49) knows Magical Leaf Synthesis Petal Dance and Body slam haven't got to Noel at the moment, but I do have all 6 badges up to this point. He has leaf guard and 2 perfect ivs in attack and special def do to like a million resets :S. Braveheart and Camperupt are is favorite friends.

What up fellow (soon to be) meganium user^_^!

I've been using ever since ep 8 and I also plan on taking to the end of reborn. The major problem with meganium is it had a pretty barren movepool, it doesn't get access to the great tools grass types have like giga drain or leech seed. it gets synthesis but it's pretty redundant as you progress and money is less of an issue. Also it just doesn't get a good STAB, magical leaf is good early on but when toward the later eps it becomes lackuster and the other alternative is Petal Dance which makes it a little risky to use since it locks you in trust me this has gotten my meganium killed so many times. Anyway about the moves thisi s what my meganium runs

Overgrow

Reflect

Synthesis

Body Slam

Grass Pledge

I'm planning on possibly swapping synthesis for light screen later on but it depends on whether you want to save the extra potions or not. Body Slam is for paralyzes and Grass pledge is sort of a balance between petal dance and magical leaf. Oh and try swapping your ability to overgrow, leaf guard is to situational to be useful, overgrow at least activates every now and than:/

Thing is, you can actually get a Chikorita in the game too (you need a Chimecho though). I've just finished my playthrough of 14.5 so I'm looking at things to breed/train. Chikorita stood out as getting Leaf Storm and Leech Seed as Egg Moves. Whether I get that set in Reborn is a different matter entirely.

As for teamates I'd try and get the Grass/Water/Fire core, then cover off the poison weakness with a Steel Type so you have safer switch in should Cain/Aya get a bit fruity. You can get a Magenemite in Shades Gym, so that covers the Flying Weakness too.

Your Meowstic covers the natural Fighting weakness Steel has, so then it'd be just a case of rotation. You'll need more than 6 pokes to form a team. I used roughly 12-14 in my run. Gym battles tend to go something like Lose-Adjust-Win.

If you want to breed a decent Chikorita with egg moves you can get a bulbasaur in episode 10.

Edit: If you want to use Leaf Guard you should have Sunny Day on it.

Edited by Ganolth

Edit: If you want to use Leaf Guard you should have Sunny Day on it.

Eh, depends on the team. Status moves aren't that common anyways and maybe that Meganium is part of a rather Fire-weak team, who knows.