Underwater field and dragalge

LeMasterJP

Hey everyone,

I have been training my shiny new dragalge and while training I imagined it being on land, but it being a giant seahorse made it pretty hard for me to imagine it. So I went to bulbapedia and searched if they only appear in water or also on land. As far as I discovered they only appear in the seas which cofused me a bit since they are not water type but poison/dragon.

This Pokedex entree kinda confirmed it:

"Tales are told of ships that wander into seas where Dragalge live, never to return."

So this made me wonder, why does the underwater field not make an exception for dragalge?

"Non-water types' Speed is quartered, except for Swift Swimmers."

I know this might be a minor point, but I think Dragalge deserves a bit more love than this, and it would be right to make a little exception for the mock kelp pokemon.

Good point. Are there any other Pokemon that can be of exception like Dragalge?

But not Water 3 because we don't want Drapion swimming freely :]

That would be quite scary indeed.

I've just gone through the entire Pokémon list, and the only one that I could come up with were Stunfisk, Grimer and Muk (found via surfing in Celadon, but only in polluted water, so they wouldn't be in normal water), and Azurill.

Cradily could be another exception, since it lives on the sea floors acording to the pokedex:

Omega Ruby: "Cradily roams around the ocean floor in search of food. This Pokémon freely extends its tree trunk-like neck and captures unwary prey using its eight tentacles."

How about Anorith? It's a sea creature, and with Shell Armour it doesn't get the boost. Tho with Swift Swim it would.

Armaldo however, is a land pokemon with Swift Swim so that would be kind of odd....

How about Anorith? It's a sea creature, and with Shell Armour it doesn't get the boost. Tho with Swift Swim it would.

Armaldo however, is a land pokemon with Swift Swim so that would be kind of odd....

Idk, the way I interpret Anorith/Armaldo is if they ahve shell Armour they are adapted to land, and if they have swift swim, they are adapted to water, but that's just my interpretation =/. But theres no harm in giving the shell armour variants an exemption.

True. However I think it would be simpler to just code in the 3-4 exceptions that don't include water types, instead of all the water types that are slow, or can't swim under the sea (for example, Wingull, Pelliper, Swanna, Ducklett, etc.).

Yes, but it's not a sea Eel. It 'swims' through the air using electricity, the same way a normal eel swims through water.

• Administrators

Cradilly is based on something that's virtually immobile though, so it wouldn't really matter.

So is Skrelp though.

I had been considering the Water egg groups as an exception too, but looking through them, I don't really see it being defensible for a lot of these choices-- I feel that it would needlessly complicate an already somewhat unclear mechanic. So I'm going to pass.

...Besides, Dragalge's not outspeeding anything any time soon anyway.

I am a few steps ahead of you...

Not surprised :P With such a large portion of the setting involving toxic water and being a game with prevalent field effects around every corner a toxic water-esque field was inevitable. Just a little factoid to consider but polluted water tends to have much higher electrical conductivity hue hue hue