NeverUsed Pokemon Showcase (Week 5)

Jelly

OP shamelessly stolen from Hilda
Approved by yung danny

NeverUsed Showcase

In which, we discuss offensive and defensive threats in the NU metagame.

Song of the Week:

Pokemon of the Week: Feraligatr
160.gif

Viability in NU: A- Rank - This fearsome beast used to be the best setup sweeper in NU. With the addition of new megas and RU drops that do well in checking it, it has fallen a bit in viability. Nevertheless, 'gatr is still one of, if not THE, strongest hitters in NU.

Sets to use on Feraligatr:

160.gif

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry/Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch/Return

The set that wreaked havoc on the XY NU metagame. The RU drops and the rise in usage of certain Dry Skin/Water Absorb 'mons have basically put the nail in the coffin for this set. SD 'gatr is still pretty common so one should always be wary of it. The goal is to set up on something that will get you into torrent range, and then click Waterfall on slower things and Aqua Jet on faster things. Ice Punch is for coverage, mainly on Vileplume. Return can be run over it but I usually always choose Ice Punch.

160.gif

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

The best set in the ORAS meta. DD 'gatr allows you to outpace those threats that cannot be hit by aqua jet. Namely, Virizion, Mantine, Jynx, and Heliolisk. 168 speed EVs allow you to outspeed base 110s after one DD. Waterfall, Earthquake, and Ice Punch are all for coverage once you outspeed everything coming in.

Also a very neato core based around Feraligatr is Feraligatr-Typhlosion:

160.gif

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

157.gif

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This core breaks down each other's checks and allows for one of them to sweep. Typhlosion beats bulky Grass types and Feraligatr beats most of the 'mons that wall Typhlosion. Good 'mons to add to this core would be any offensive Grass types that can beat bulky waters for it. I know, I know, standard.FWG core. But if it works then what's the harm in using it amirite?

Overall, Feraligatr is just not as great as it used to be. But it is still a monster and has to be accounted for in teambuilding. Healing Wish 'mons can be great partners to 'gatr allowing it to sweep two times. Almost no team is prepared for that.

I hope you all enjoy the Fifth installment of the "NU Showcase"!!! I'd like some recommendations on what to do in following weeks. Since Heliolisk is getting a suspect, I will refrain from covering it until it is certain that it will either stay or leave NU. As always, leave your comments, checks, and counters down below!

-Jelly

I believe Lanturn shuts the first set off completely.

Mantine is a bother for both sets, as it absorbs water, is immune to ground and gets neutral from Ice, grass, and resists typhlosion's attacks

Other than that, the "starter pack" looks neat. In my opinion, this is a good opportunity to utilize M-Audino, to provide the wishes you need to keep the offensive core alive. It also doesn't have ground weakness like the other megas of the tier (which wouldn't help Typhlosion).

I don't think speculating NU sheer force Feraligatr checks as most likely it will get moved up once it has a hidden ability. Sheer forc is just a straight up damage improvement for any set gatr could run. Honestly once sheer force is released Feraligatr will get booted fairly fast.