Team plan for my first playthourgh.

The Swordsman

In the mainline Pokemon games I usely only use my favorite pokemon which often leaves me at disadvantage with certain gyms, however I get by with using type coverage moves. With Reborn not having many TMs I usely use, being Pokemon's Dark Souls counterpart and Togekiss not being implemented yet, I'm afraid this time once I actually get all these pokemon I won't be able to take Karen's (from Gold and Silver) advice. So is it possible to tough it out with these pokemon? (moves sets to be filled out at a later date)

Samurott

Wigglytuff

Gallade (Mega once its implemented)

Lucario

Donphan

Mancentric or a Mamoswine

Edited by The Swordsman

You're going to wait for a looooooooong time before you can get lucario, and gallade isn't going to be yours for a while either.
Frankly, in Reborn, you have to use what you can get, which is a lot less than what you want atm. You'll be suprised how useful some pokemon can be...(I used to hate pachrisu, now I really like the guy, for example.)

You can get Manectric and Igglybuff pretty early and Donphan isn't too far in but the others are a pretty good ways in, as for Megas I don't expect we'll be getting them until post-game, if ever. I guarantee you'll have at least a dozen or so primary and secondary mon you use regularly, as well as a dozen more one time mon you have to train up for specific gym/Team Meteor fights.

The game makes you train up mon and consider others you'd usually ignore. I ended up training a Vanilluxe even though I had previously thought it was the dumbest looking pokemon ever.

You're going to wait for a looooooooong time before you can get lucario, and gallade isn't going to be yours for a while either.

Frankly, in Reborn, you have to use what you can get, which is a lot less than what you want atm. You'll be suprised how useful some pokemon can be...(I used to hate pachrisu, now I really like the guy, for example.)

Thanks, I'm okay with waiting I'm just worried that when I do get all of them I won't be able to win at all with them thanks to not being able to use the type coverage moves and strategies I honed through the years. (I read that pinned topic on what to expect and its sounds harder than Dark Souls 1 and 2 :blink:)

You can get Manectric and Igglybuff pretty early and Donphan isn't too far in but the others are a pretty good ways in, as for Megas I don't expect we'll be getting them until post-game, if ever. I guarantee you'll have at least a dozen or so primary and secondary mon you use regularly, as well as a dozen more one time mon you have to train up for specific gym/Team Meteor fights.

The game makes you train up mon and consider others you'd usually ignore. I ended up training a Vanilluxe even though I had previously thought it was the dumbest looking pokemon ever.

Thanks for the advice its nice to know that event happens early. :)

Most Pokemon games (official and fan-made alike) are made easy precisely by the fact that people can plan their team ahead of time, quickly getting their hands on powerful Pokemon that can allow them to address vistually every situation in the game. To prevent this, and make sure that Reborn stays difficult as the story proceeds, Ame will go out of her way specifically to prevent people from planning ahead, doing things such as severely limiting the choice of early Pokemon, making most Pokemon event-exclusive (meaning that, if you fail to catch them on the first try, they are lost forever, not to mention that it takes a lot of time and effort to just unlick said first try), and even changing the available Pokemon and/or the requirements to get them every time a new episode comes out. So yeah, my suggestion is to avoid planning ahead, because it is impossible to make a "perfect team" early on and keep it for the entire duration of the game. Be ready to pick things you need to overcome a specific boss, grind them, then drop them in favor of things you need to beat the following boss. It will proceed like this untill you unlock the day care, after which you'll start using all the Pokemon you have trained up to that point as specimen to breed, and then, and only then, you'll be able to create something remotely similar to a "perfect team"...

In short: if you want a "perfect team", be ready to earn it.

Most Pokemon games (official and fan-made alike) are made easy precisely by the fact that people can plan their team ahead of time, quickly getting their hands on powerful Pokemon that can allow them to address vistually every situation in the game. To prevent this, and make sure that Reborn stays difficult as the story proceeds, Ame will go out of her way specifically to prevent people from planning ahead, doing things such as severely limiting the choice of early Pokemon, making most Pokemon event-exclusive (meaning that, if you fail to catch them on the first try, they are lost forever, not to mention that it takes a lot of time and effort to just unlick said first try), and even changing the available Pokemon and/or the requirements to get them every time a new episode comes out. So yeah, my suggestion is to avoid planning ahead, because it is impossible to make a "perfect team" early on and keep it for the entire duration of the game. Be ready to pick things you need to overcome a specific boss, grind them, then drop them in favor of things you need to beat the following boss. It will proceed like this untill you unlock the day care, after which you'll start using all the Pokemon you have trained up to that point as specimen to breed, and then, and only then, you'll be able to create something remotely similar to a "perfect team"...

In short: if you want a "perfect team", be ready to earn it.

I don't want a perfect team though I just want play through the game using my favorite pokemon and IMO getting a "perfect team" that way defeats the purpose of playing pokemon, they are supposed to be your team mates.

I don't want a perfect team though I just want play through the game using my favorite pokemon and IMO getting a "perfect team" that way defeats the purpose of playing pokemon, they are supposed to be your team mates.

Like it or not, that's how Reborn plays. You are not getting a team of "your favorite Pokemon" to consistently use throughout the entire game, simply because half of the Pokemon you mentioned are not available untill MUCH later in the game (you can sey all you want that you love them, but there is literally no way to catch them untill a much later part of the game), and there is also the fact that, unlike in standard Pokemon game, Gym Leaders here have full six Pokemon parties, that come with a specific gimmick and a strategy, which is further supported by the field effects: wht does this mean? It means that you cannot possibly think to beat the game with just six Pokemon. I can think of at least 3 Gym Leaders who would obliterate the team you are planning to make, but the fact is, even if you were to create a different team, there would always be at least one Gym Leader able to defeat it. Therefore, like it or not, if you want to stand a chance at beating this game, you are going to catch FAR more than 6 Pokemon, and rearrange your team before every Gym. And doing a lot of breeding is also recommended, once you unlock the Day Care.

I too used to have the mindset "my Pokemon are my friends, so I want to create a team of six early on and stick with that 'till the end", but in Reborn you have something else coming.

You could always start a play-through in Episode 9 which many people have the download for, and get a Togepi Egg before the second gym from a Quiz in the Coral Ward.

Wait that reply in my Welcome Topic wasn't just a joke? :blink: (I thought it just wasn't implemented yet)

Like it or not, that's how Reborn plays. You are not getting a team of "your favorite Pokemon" to consistently use throughout the entire game, simply because half of the Pokemon you mentioned are not available untill MUCH later in the game (you can sey all you want that you love them, but there is literally no way to catch them untill a much later part of the game), and there is also the fact that, unlike in standard Pokemon game, Gym Leaders here have full six Pokemon parties, that come with a specific gimmick and a strategy, which is further supported by the field effects: wht does this mean? It means that you cannot possibly think to beat the game with just six Pokemon. I can think of at least 3 Gym Leaders who would obliterate the team you are planning to make, but the fact is, even if you were to create a different team, there would always be at least one Gym Leader able to defeat it. Therefore, like it or not, if you want to stand a chance at beating this game, you are going to catch FAR more than 6 Pokemon, and rearrange your team before every Gym. And doing a lot of breeding is also recommended, once you unlock the Day Care.

I too used to have the mindset "my Pokemon are my friends, so I want to create a team of six early on and stick with that 'till the end", but in Reborn you have something else coming.

Well thats kinda depressing but I guess it adds to the whole crapsack region trope in universe. I guess I'll just play the game, however whenever I do get a Wigglytuff it will be the only pokemon I keep, sure I'm basically limiting myself to 5 "useful" pokemon since Wigglytuff stats suck (and if my research is correct even though it is a fairy type now it doesn't get its competitive ability in Reborn yet.) but I feel its a nice compromise between what I always want to do in a Pokemon game and what Reborn wants. Thank you for the hard truth and thank you everyone else for the advice you provided.

Wigglytuff is your fave huh?

Well, there's 2 poison Gyms so beware of that, plus one of the rivals is poison so just a heads up :)

And they're right tho. These gyms are hard as hell and especially around the part where I am (gym 8-9-10) there's not a lot of story battles in between to train your team without grinding, so that's kind of a shame but oh well.

But really, this isn't Emerald where you could have a Fire team and beat Wallace on the first try. You'll notice right away at the second gym how hard this game is. Even with all the help from this forum, videos I found on youtube and bulbapedia advice this game is hard.

Big props to the maker.

I bet she is reading the forum daily with a big smirk like: "oh, someone's stuck there again. Oh that one can't find the solution to this and that. Oh that one found that one rare pokemon at that specific random time. lucky bastard. Fuck yeah I'm good." *high fives herself*

Edited by Helia

While the guys above are right about the difficulty, if you're very stubborn, you can pull through with an un-changing team. I sure did. It's not like the game *forces* you to train 12+ Pokemon, it's just easier that way.

Before you get to the late-game Pokemon you're planning to get, you will want to use temporary party members, though... if only to switch into them as you heal up your permanent partners.

I applaud the Karen sentiments *highfive*

Wait that reply in my Welcome Topic wasn't just a joke? :blink: (I thought it just wasn't implemented yet)

Well thats kinda depressing but I guess it adds to the whole crapsack region trope in universe. I guess I'll just play the game, however whenever I do get a Wigglytuff it will be the only pokemon I keep, sure I'm basically limiting myself to 5 "useful" pokemon since Wigglytuff stats suck (and if my research is correct even though it is a fairy type now it doesn't get its competitive ability in Reborn yet.) but I feel its a nice compromise between what I always want to do in a Pokemon game and what Reborn wants. Thank you for the hard truth and thank you everyone else for the advice you provided.

Of course not. I wouldn't feed someone false information. :P

You might have a hard time getting a riolu and a ralts, but don't worry, just check out a few guides and you will be fine. About the others, they are pretty easy to get. Oshawott and Igglybuff can be gotten quite early in the game. Elektrike, Phanpy and Swinub can also be gotten quite early. Don't be scared by the masochistic mumbo-jumbo that "hurr durr reborn is meant to be very difficult", once you know how to play the game, you will be fine and will have lots of fun.

Wigglytuff is your fave huh?

Well, there's 2 poison Gyms so beware of that, plus one of the rivals is poison so just a heads up :)

And they're right tho. These gyms are hard as hell and especially around the part where I am (gym 8-9-10) there's not a lot of story battles in between to train your team without grinding, so that's kind of a shame but oh well.

But really, this isn't Emerald where you could have a Fire team and beat Wallace on the first try. You'll notice right away at the second gym how hard this game is. Even with all the help from this forum, videos I found on youtube and bulbapedia advice this game is hard.

Big props to the maker.

I bet she is reading the forum daily with a big smirk like: "oh, someone's stuck there again. Oh that one can't find the solution to this and that. Oh that one found that one rare pokemon at that specific random time. lucky bastard. Fuck yeah I'm good." *high fives herself*

Yep. :D

I can't help but feel that this fan game will run into the same problem the souls franchise did though, which is a shame because if you stick with it the region design (I actually felt like I was in a city) music, and story is the best I've seen even rivaling the main games.

While the guys above are right about the difficulty, if you're very stubborn, you can pull through with an un-changing team. I sure did. It's not like the game *forces* you to train 12+ Pokemon, it's just easier that way.

Before you get to the late-game Pokemon you're planning to get, you will want to use temporary party members, though... if only to switch into them as you heal up your permanent partners.

I applaud the Karen sentiments *highfive*

*highfives back* :)

Well I am stubborn, the souls series can attest to that.... (can't help but make comparisons)

Of course not. I wouldn't feed someone false information. :P

Yesterday I met a old man with a togeipi too, lucky son of a gun. I have to ask again but why would anyone remove a selectable pokemon?

You might have a hard time getting a riolu and a ralts, but don't worry, just check out a few guides and you will be fine. About the others, they are pretty easy to get. Oshawott and Igglybuff can be gotten quite early in the game. Elektrike, Phanpy and Swinub can also be gotten quite early. Don't be scared by the masochistic mumbo-jumbo that "hurr durr reborn is meant to be very difficult", once you know how to play the game, you will be fine and will have lots of fun.

Thanks! I will admit that I let that one stickyed topic color my expectations of the game. I just beat the Team Meator (may or may not be worse than Galactic on the evil scale) hideout and the game doesn't seem so bad so far and level grinding never got to me in a rpg. ( got to be careful on how high I get though)

Edited by The Swordsman

Yep. :D

I can't help but feel that this fan game will run into the same problem the souls franchise did though, which is a shame because if you stick with it the region design (I actually felt like I was in a city) music, and story is the best I've seen even rivaling the main games.

*highfives back* :)

Well I am stubborn, the souls series can attest to that.... (can't help but make comparisons)

Yesterday I met a old man with a togeipi too, lucky son of a gun. I have to ask again but why would anyone remove a selectable pokemon?

Thanks! I will admit that I let that one stickyed topic color my expectations of the game. I just beat the Team Meator (may or may not be worse than Galactic on the evil scale) hideout and the game doesn't seem so bad so far and level grinding never got to me in a rpg. ( got to be careful on how high I get though)

Many Pokémon were removed in Episode 10/10.5, due to them being too powerful. Most of them were placed much later in the game.

Some of the notable being; Magby, Elekid, Magikarp, Zubat, Togepi, Shroomish, Riolu, etc.

Many Pokémon were removed in Episode 10/10.5, due to them being too powerful. Most of them were placed much later in the game.

Some of the notable being; Magby, Elekid, Magikarp, Zubat, Togepi, Shroomish, Riolu, etc.

Don't forget Whimsicott.

I saw there was a Windy Day event for Cottonee at the Grand Staircase but he got shoved back all the way to route 4....

Shroomish, Togepi and Karp were removed actually, not placed much later in the game.

P.S. Ame, since when shroomish is too powerful????

Shroomish, Togepi and Karp were removed actually, not placed much later in the game.

P.S. Ame, since when shroomish is too powerful????

The game is already difficult with its new mechanics, team design, most pokemon found though events and level restrictions and while I can understand putting them further in the game, I'm not going to lie, removing them outright IMO is stupid. (and if they really do somehow break the game at least make you work for it) People do realize this game has a lot more to it than just difficulty right?

I started in episode 10, so I could lay my hands on ralts, zubat and scraggy pretty early. Needless to say, I hardly switched members (the only one was pachirisu at level 40 for Flygon after Solaris). I only trained a metagross just for the Ice field episode (14), but for the rest, I'm now breeding and raising old and extra members to make sure I can get the upper hand (there was a certain booty-searcher who made things very difficult), and mainly because I have the time.
But yeah, it's pretty much impossible to run only 6 members throughout the game.

Edited by laggless01

I started in episode 10, so I could lay my hands on ralts, zubat and scraggy pretty early. Needless to say, I hardly switched members (the only one was pachirisu at level 40 for Flygon after Solaris). I only trained a metagross just for the Ice field episode (14), but for the rest, I'm now breeding and raising old and extra members to make sure I can get the upper hand (there was a certain booty-searcher who made things very difficult), and mainly because I have the time.

But yeah, it's pretty much impossible to run only 6 members throughout the game.

It's nowhere close to impossible. I have never ran anymore than 6 team members and I have completed the full release so far.