Tag 'Em or Sack 'Em: Identifying Literature

Chase

Another work in progress thread.

Hi, folks.

As you all probably know there are several different forms of literature. Just like the roleplaying sub-forum, I ask that you identify what type of literature are trying to write in the title by using "tags". It would be helpful to determine the type of work, and the genre, yes? Tags are where you announce those in the thread title.

For example, Creative Writing topics usually have the imfamous [CW] before the name of the thread.

[CW] - Creative writing - Fiction works. (If you're going for Novels, Poems, Haikus, Jokes, etc, you can specify by making your take [CW: Joke] or whatever.)

[News] - A news column.

[Journal] - A personal place to lay down one's experiences. I would appreciate any readers to refrain from posting in journals -here-, as they could also be placed under the forum known as the 'Trainer's Journal.' In a writing forum, I would encourage reading other threads and asking permission to post, unless it's granted in the first post by the original poster.

[Essay]

[Lyrics]

[NF] - Non Fiction major works (Basically, dissertations or multiple page essays require multiple posts.

[Review] - A "review". This is a conflicting type of literature could easily fall under content suited for other forums. In order for it to be fit for -this- forum, you must structure it so that it is thorough and contribute a substantial amount of information to it.

[Critique] - An opinion thread. This one -again- is suspect to being suited for other forums, and you would need to make a logical argument worthy of falling on a professor's desk for a grade in order to justify putting it here instead. (All a moderator would really need to see is effort)

[Draft/Plan/WP] - The preparation stage of the Writing Process - You -may- use this forum for your offline affairs, and if you use this tag, you tell users that they may critique your work. I want this to be useful and offer a place for essay help, since I know a lot of us are still having to write them for other parts of our lives.

[Feedback] - This denotes the thread in which feedback for the author is given. It usually accompanies a partner CW or other type of thread. The purpose of it being to keep the main Thread clean for the reader and so that the Writer's Thread updates automatically when adding a new chapter.

[Other]

Keep in mind that I am taking suggestions for more tags for a while. If you think of other types of literature, call em out on this forum and I'll make additions!

Examples of Thread tags: From you friendly Local Sensei; Hukuna.

[CW: Short Story] : Denotes a thread being used for a short story purpose. This is where the writer will be writing a reoccurring ((or updating.)) a story. Other types of literature or CW ((such as Novel length or poems, jokes, etc...)) will be placed where Short Story is in the tag like so [CW: Novel]

[CW: Type of Work/Feedback]: if Feedback is written here this mean the writer will not be updating the thread or doesn't mind feedback coming in through the same thread. ((this can be done by the writer only updating the Main Post to update, that is totally up to the writer.))

[Feedback]: For simple Feedback purposes. Writer's should include a link to the actual story thread in here.

[Feedback/WP] : this is to denote something someone wants feedback on for their story, but also wishes to have people know it is a heavy work in progress. That means feedback will more or less be taken into account or that community members can help the writer along in their writing process. It also let's reader know a LOT is subject to change with a work.

If there are other tags you would like me to make examples of, just shoot me a pm or something. Most other tags don't need heavy explanation though. Hukuna Sensei out~

• Upvote 2

How about a reaction thread to stories? Can be in general or for a specific story. I remember they had it on a Dutch forum I used to be on. It keeps the CW thread from being flooded with reactions and that way you can actually read the story instead of scrolling down numerous reactions in between chapters.

Critique could possibly serve this function, however, I am going to leave that up to Hilda to decide if it is needed or not. It is definitely better that way though so the Story is the main focus within it's own thread, and that the story has a place to talk about it elsewhere. ((most likely linked at the top somewhere in the main thread as well)). I would reckon this would only be necessary for full on works.

[CW] - Creative writing - Fiction works. (If you're going for Novels, Poems, Haikus, Jokes, etc, you can specify by making your take [CW: Joke] or whatever.)

Joke threads, huh? I might have to make one of those...

I'm not sure how you want to approach tags, but I've seen a couple writing communities so I have a pretty good idea how they work. Basically, there are two things that people usually look for in a piece of writing.

1. Type of Writing (forgot the actual term): Short Stories, Novels, Poems, and Journals are usually going to be the main ones. You'd be surprised how many people actually write Poems.

2. Genre: Romance, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Thriller, Editorial/Review/Journal, Non-fiction, Fan Fiction, and occasionally Humor

I probably could list a bunch more but that summarizes about 80%. Depending on how well this picks up, I might post a couple of tutorials for how to make your writings clean especially for longer works like Novels and Novellas. That reminds me of something. Are we making it so that a how novel is one thread or that each chapter can be its own thread.

Well, I would -PREFER- that [Feedback] threads be made so that the poster can keep everything nice and tidy in one thread. So multiple chapters can be fine in one thread as long as we iron out how to determine the start of a new chapter. I'll be thinking of things to put in a general rules thread, and feedback would need to be something that gets moderated.

I feel that concurrent stories should have the thread for the story, or the CW thread, and that they should have a Feedback Thread.

The CW thread will be for just the writer, so that way chapters aren't interrupted and readers have a straight read instead of having feedback slapped in the middle. The Writer should note in the CW thread that it isn't the place to discuss it at the top and include a link to the feedback thread.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be doing an overhaul of this thread as soon as I get a chance. I want it to be up to snuff. Probably going to bang around in the other threads like this in this forum. Mostly doing this cause I am getting a lot of questions on it so I want to make sure things are super duper clear.

• 1 month later...

Might I suggest a Writing Exercise tag? I added a post recently that definitely falls more under that category than anything listed, though it also technically falls under Creative Writing it might be nice to help identify such threads from time to time.