Goodbye Gyarados

TheDisgruntledTomato

Hey, does anybody know what a good water-type replacement would be for Gyarados? As much as I love the thing, at this point it's sweeping every battle almost single-handedly and pretty much is just way too OP to use while having fun in the game. I was thinking maybe Swampert or Azumarill, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions as well.

E13 Azumarill or E12 Empoleon. Breed Golduck/Seel/Buizel/Clauncher>Azurill for Aqua Jet, then Poliwag/Poliwhirl>an Azurill with Aqua Jet for Belly Drum. Superpower, Body Slam, Play Rough and Bounce are also good moves.

If you go back to E12, you can breed Panpour>Buizel>Remoraid>Piplup to get an Empoleon with Scald, Ice Beam and Agility, Drill Peck via level-up or Grass Knot via TM are a good 4th move.

Someone suggested Barbaracle to me, and so far it's been a great help, even though you'll have to sink two Heart Scales into it for Stone Edge and Shell Smash. Depending on your team comp, it could be an invaluable asset. You can get its pre-evo from using Rock Smash on Apophyll Beach.

Also heard that Crawdaunt could be good. Adaptability + Crabhammer + Dragon Dance from breeding = Destruction. You can get a Corphish from Rock Smashing in Apophyll Beach too.

Clauncher could be nice too if you're running low on Special Attackers, but you'll have to get a Good Rod from Spinel Town (in a house that was blocked off by a tree at first, just walk up to said tree and it'll disappear I think). I believe you can fish for one in the cave across form Shade's Gym.

Edited by SilverJakler

Someone suggested Barbaracle to me, and so far it's been a great help, even though you'll have to sink two Heart Scales into it for Stone Edge and Shell Smash. Depending on your team comp, it could be an invaluable asset. You can get its pre-evo from using Rock Smash on Apophyll Beach.

Also heard that Crawdaunt could be good. Adaptability + Crabhammer + Dragon Dance from breeding = Destruction. You can get a Corphish from Rock Smashing in Apophyll Beach too.

Clauncher could be nice too if you're running low on Special Attackers, but you'll have to get a Good Rod from Spinel Town (in a house that was blocked off by a tree at first, just walk up to said tree and it'll disappear I think). I believe you can fish for one in the cave across form Shade's Gym.

I was the one that suggested Barbaracle to him. Ever since I saw a Barbaracle sweep in competitive play, It's become one of my favorites as a water type. I highly recommend it.

When you get to it, Empoleon is a good choice as well. Decent Sp. Att, able to wall most types, over all very decent.

Edited by ShadowDefender