Grass mono

UgandaPanda

Hi, im thinking of starting a grass mono for my third play through. I was thinking of starting with either turtwig or bulbasaur but im open to other options too. Also what kind of team do u think would be balanced for a grass mono? I dont really know much about team building and was wondering if i could get some help. thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what would be best bet but some thing I could suggest id that you go with an update that still has shroomish and maybe get the budew that's in the beginning of the game. In this update you can get bulba through an event so I would go with turtwig as a starter.

Hmm well dual types are better overall so lets list the starters first.

1. Bulbasaur

2. Chikorita

3. Treecko

4. Turtwig

5. Snivy

6. Chespin

In my opinion

1. Turtwig

2. Bulbasaur

3. Chespin (Can be obtained later in the game)

4. Snivy

5. Treecko

6. Chikorita (Far behind the rest, can be obtained later in the game)

Also keep in mind to use moves that benefit grass types as a whole. You can get many pokemon with Chlorophyll or Leaf Guard etc. It may be better to skip on Bulbasaur since Grass poison you can get quite easily after the first gym, or if you can find a Budew an evolve it into Roselia through happiness before the first gym. Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff can be obtained around the same time on a windy day. After a couple of badges, You can catch yourself a Nuzleaf and train it into a powerful Shiftry with a Leaf Stone of course. I don't know where Exeggcute, Shroomish, or Lotad can be found, but they'd all also be good on your team.

hmm, kk. I think ill aim for turtwig, budew, hoppip, nuzzleaf, shroomish and lotad for now. Maybe ill switch it up if I come across some better pokemon. No idea how im going to get through charlotte on this one. Still a long way to go tho from now so I guess ill worry about that later haha

Edit: oh nvm maybe ill throw in petilil for some one...

Shroomish got the axe a few episodes back and hasn't been put back in the game. I'd also suggest a Leafeon if you need a good physical grass type. If or when you get to Charlotte, I'm sure Roserade and Ludicolo can learn Rain Dance. That will give you some help against her, but she's still going to be a nightmare.

Edited by Phlytosion

Sorry I don't use forums much and I keep forgetting whenever I post :( Thanks for all the advice. I feel like petilil with quiver dance could get me through a lot of gyms like I did with my gyarados on my water playthrough. kinda cheap tho so idk.

maybe petilil for shroomish since he's removed. A physical attacker would be nice too. so much possibilities lol

Edited by UgandaPanda

Ludicolo is a must for your team. I'd also suggest you mine yourself a Cradily and get a Tangela from Berryl Ward.
Contrary to the other types, you will have serious problems with Shelly,Correy,Aya,Cal,Serra,Radomus,Charlotte

For Charlotte, begin with a Leavanny and Ludicolo. The one with X4 weakness to fire gets the hit and Ludi sets up rain dance. After that, enter Torterra and EQ.

Oh, idk why but for some reason I seem to be missing the button.

:unsure:

Yeah, that's only for Ace Members, a.k.a. those who posted 500+ times and got a certain item from the site shop, so you can't do it yet.

I'd also seriously advise to wait with evolving Sewaddle until level 31. That's when, unlike Swadloon and Leavanny, it gets the coveted Sticky Web. Leavanny also really put in some work against Radomus/Luna for me with STAB X-Scissor and I didn't even have it use Swords Dance. In doubles, the AI always prefers to hit super-effectively, so if you lead with Leavanny and *insert Grass/Poison type here*, you can get SD without problems.

Others to look into that haven't been mentioned are Gogoat, Exeggutor if you need Speed/Trick Room, Wormadam due to early evolution and later on Gourgeist and Trevenant.

In doubles, the AI always prefers to hit super-effectively, so if you lead with Leavanny and *insert Grass/Poison type here*, you can get SD without problems.

Except for the fact that Leavanny is hit super effectively by all of those Psychic/Rock dual type attacks.

unexpectedly im getting destroyed by florina, my team is grotle(25), gloom(25) and cherubi(24), pokemon with pin missile are destroying me, especially ferroseed since he walls my gloom and the other 2 get destroyed by pin missile. do u guys know any grass pokemon that are available early that I might be able to use to combat her? :wacko:

if only i could use my spore moves against her :(

my move sets are

grotle:

razor leaf

curse

bite

absorb

cherubi:

sunny day

magical leaf

leech seed

synthesis

gloom:

acid

mega drain

stun spore

sleep powder

the pokemon that I know she has for sure are:

maractus, cacnea, ferroseed and grotle.

im pretty sure she still has a cradily too.

Edited by UgandaPanda

Grass/Poisons are your friend. They're not weak to Pin Missile. Also, your Grotle can set up to take hits from it with Curse, right? Does it have Shell Armour? Even if it doesn't, it'll take a couple crits to ruin your day- it's sturdy.

You can get Weepinbell and Roselia for other Grass/Poisons at this point, and there's Hoppip, although that won't really put in much work unless you like grinding over the cap for Acrobatics. It's at least not weak to Pin Missile, though (and immune to Sand Tomb).

thanks for the suggestion. i think ill give it another shot later tonight. I found that I could set up my grotle while her grotle is out so maybe itll work this time. also is it possible to get super potions at this point? if I can keep my grotle alive I feel like I could go a long way. If it doesnt work Ill try bring in another grass poison type.

You can buy Super Potions from a vendor right next to where you can heal in the Onyx Trainer's School. You won't be able to buy them otherwise until Beryl Ward, so I'd stock up while you still can~

Edit: ...And yes, as Jericho has just ninja'd me to say, Tropius is pretty good. Just be aware that it's not obtainable until after Corey- I learned this the hard way. It's also sadly the only Grass-type that would effectively be able to clear his field...

oh sweet, could use some super potions. tropius would be sweet right about now. too bad its after florina :( I think ill still pick him up tho. never got the chance to try tropius.

thanks for the suggestions guys. managed to beat florina with 5 stacks of curse from grotle.

Edited by UgandaPanda